The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:55:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK  (Read 38376 times)
bugnut68

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 19:47:55 pm »

Yes that's Greg's" real Porsche" 59 cabriolet with a "real motor" Grin a VW type1, 78x88, 40x35.5, w110engle, at first w48webers, later w42webers, for +fuel economy-less sound-more comfort etc.  This VW-Porsche hybrid was factually the (first VW engine) with dual mufflers, the intention was to make it quiet and still use the exhaust outlets through the bumper overiders on the Porsche.  A" funny thing "happened when we dynoed the motor,,,  Huh  it made to much horsepower!!! I was building my 84x90.5, 42x37.5 w125engle 1.5/8merged motor at the same time so,,, if Gregs 1900cc made approx. 14hp more then it should, then mine should make more then we thought it should,,,and it did!!! Grin a freaking 19hp more!!! and the dual muffler trend was born  Smiley .      John and Fabs ,  thanks for the pics,  Great thread John.           KG

If memory serves me right, Hot Vws had a photo of the Porsche dual QP exhaust you describe... perhaps in the California Look special edition's historical article?  I know I saw a pic of some sort recently as I was going through my old magazines...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 20:05:58 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 00:32:02 am »

Ditch the chrome on the roll bar for either body color or silver... and that car would be perfection. It's been years since I've seen someone use a header with the stock exhaust outlets on one of those. SO COOL!!!!!!!!!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 03:09:00 am »

If I remember correctly Greg sold the car to a great guy named Jim Lojudice (hope I spelled his last name right) I bought my B&Cmodel Porsche breaks for my choptop from him dirt cheap  Grin ,( thanks Jim).  To each his own on the rollbar, the only thing I would change about that car is the owner,,,TO ME!! Greg later built a Targa with the stainless roof piece painted the same as the car and some people didn't like it, mostly Porsche purists, but I thought it looked awesome!  That's the reason we build cars isn't it? to reflect our own tastes & personality... Wink Wink Wink          KG       AS USUAL OUR BUDDY FABS HAS THE PICS... Grin  Thanks Fabs.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 13:14:24 pm »

sorry to hijack the tread again  Roll Eyes

for you keith  Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2011, 13:48:18 pm »

If I remember correctly Greg sold the car to a great guy named Jim Lojudice (hope I spelled his last name right) I bought my B&Cmodel Porsche breaks for my choptop from him dirt cheap  Grin ,( thanks Jim).  To each his own on the rollbar, the only thing I would change about that car is the owner,,,TO ME!! Greg later built a Targa with the stainless roof piece painted the same as the car and some people didn't like it, mostly Porsche purists, but I thought it looked awesome!  That's the reason we build cars isn't it? to reflect our own tastes & personality... Wink Wink Wink          KG       AS USUAL OUR BUDDY FABS HAS THE PICS... Grin  Thanks Fabs.

Keith, Jim Logudice (sp?) is registered on here and posts once in a while! He had a red '67 with blacked out trim IIRC.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2011, 14:06:49 pm »

I really think it would be way cool if John & Sarge and maybe some others went to Featherly Park and took pics for old and new times sake, anyone agree? Or am I just a big trouble maker?  Grin Grin          KG
Rennsurfer

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2011, 14:11:17 pm »

I really think it would be way cool if John & Sarge and maybe some others went to Featherly Park and took pics for old and new times sake, anyone agree? Or am I just a big trouble maker?  Grin Grin          KG

Keith after scanning you post for trouble, the conclusion of the status came out as negative. Zero trouble content was detected. In other words, I agree with your concept, full throttle.

Round it up, John... get a few of the D.K.P. 1 people together and capture the moment(s). Like Keith posted, it would by cool.

~Sarge
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2011, 15:09:50 pm »

Keith after scanning you post for trouble, the conclusion of the status came out as negative. Zero trouble content was detected. In other words, I agree with your concept, full throttle.

Round it up, John... get a few of the D.K.P. 1 people together and capture the moment(s). Like Keith posted, it would by cool.

X2 - that would be way cool!!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2011, 16:21:50 pm »

I really think it would be way cool if John & Sarge and maybe some others went to Featherly Park and took pics for old and new times sake, anyone agree? Or am I just a big trouble maker?  Grin Grin          KG

Keith.. You're probably a trouble maker but John and the others should do it anyways.  Grin  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 16:30:39 pm »

My plan was to maybe make a trip out there later today with my '63.  Problem is as I write this at 8:22am it is raining.  If it clears in a bit I still may take the ride.  My boss usually lets me leave work early on Friday afternoons.     Wink Wink Wink Wink

I think it would be neat if something like this could be done, but the problem is only a few of the original guys (DKP 1) currently have cars.  Sarge, Gregg Bunch (who was not around when the original event took place) and myself.  Of course ANY of the original guys would be more than welcomed to attend in my view.  So after I scout it out and find that the original area would still be accessible to us I'll discuss it with the current DKP guys and see if they would like to participate.

How about some of you current guys chiming in on this with your thoughts.   Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
bugnut68

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 16:46:45 pm »

Wink

I could have sworn there was a pic taken from the underside of the car's rear, with the caption noting that FAT came out with the first dual QP set up... of course, it could very well be the photo I'm thinking of is not of this particular car, but I seem to recall seeing a similar exit point for the tail pipes.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2011, 00:55:24 am »

I know that you guys have Stephan, but if he isn't available, I'll gladly shoot the pictures, John.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2011, 02:01:30 am »

I know that you guys have Stephan, but if he isn't available, I'll gladly shoot the pictures, John.

The more the merrier is the way I see it.  I didn't make it out there today on my scouting trip, but plan to do so tomorrow possibly after Bugs 4 Breakfast.  Hopefully by Sunday afternoon at Nick's (weather permitting) I'll address the group.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:18 am »

Its true, at times I can be a trouble maker, mostly in a good way I hope  Huh no bad intentions anyway,  Hey John, true most gen.1 guys don't have VWs but most VWs have four seats  Wink  I think most gen.2&3 guys would be honored to have an OG.to ride along with em. Oops there I go again making trouble (thinking)  Cheesy , just hope something fun, good and memorable comes to be....               KG
johnl

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2011, 02:17:32 am »

Its true, at times I can be a trouble maker, mostly in a good way I hope  Huh no bad intentions anyway,  Hey John, true most gen.1 guys don't have VWs but most VWs have four seats  Wink  I think most gen.2&3 guys would be honored to have an OG.to ride along with em. Oops there I go again making trouble (thinking)  Cheesy , just hope something fun, good and memorable comes to be....               KG

Keith,

I like your "trouble maker" ideas.  Well have to see how this plays out as getting many of the DKP 1 guys together might be a challenge.  I remember what Ron, Gregg Bunch, myself and others did to pull off the two reunions.  None the less I think it would be a worth while gathering.  Who knows, possibly in another 40 years there will be some young guys looking at what we did.

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2011, 02:39:46 am »

Wink Wink Grin
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2011, 03:05:39 am »

Neil, I knew Jim pretty well back then, his red 67 had two pinstripes done by" Shaky Jake "where the trim used to be , Jim was also friends with Walt (Walts Porsche service) in Santa Ana,and Scott Hendery (Scotts Orange Indepenent Porsche service) in Orange ,next door to Beckers Bug house, I dated Debbie Becker,( Leonard Beckers daughter) on and off for some time, VW - Porsche shops in O.C.where kind of a tangeled web of evrey body knows everybody
johnl

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2011, 21:38:39 pm »

Neil, I knew Jim pretty well back then, his red 67 had two pinstripes done by" Shaky Jake "where the trim used to be , Jim was also friends with Walt (Walts Porsche service) in Santa Ana,and Scott Hendery (Scotts Orange Indepenent Porsche service) in Orange ,next door to Beckers Bug house, I dated Debbie Becker,( Leonard Beckers daughter) on and off for some time, VW - Porsche shops in O.C.where kind of a tangeled web of evrey body knows everybody

Keith,  Interesting story about the two pinstripes done by Shaky (Chuck Babbit) Jake as he did the same for me probably some years earlier on the Butternut car.  The work was actually done inside the Costa Mesa Auto Haus store as we took the front doors off and the car just made it through. 

Customers were walking around it while the master did his work.  I wanted two "ghost" stripes just a shade off of the body color and it came out PERFECT.

On another note, after Bugs 4 Breakfast today I drove out and found Featherly Park.  Got lost a couple of times as I had no navigation in the VW, but I did find it.  Entered on the east end which I don't remember being there.  A car show was in progress and and it would have cost me 10 bucks to get in, so I passed but hope to return during the week when activity is lower and can do some driving around to see if the original photo site can still be used.

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2011, 09:46:08 am »

A really nice detail to the pinstripes on Jim's car was the tips at the front & rear, they crossed top to bottom, one rotation, ending together in one sharp tip, and the stripes were two different colors & one thicker then the other, and like yours, you had to" look" to see all of this. Great Work!!    KG
Rennsurfer

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2011, 14:29:08 pm »

Pinstriping was huge in the seventies. We had one of our family cars done by Rim Brandt. I always dug on the ghost stuff so where you had to really look in order to see it. What you two are talking about fits the bill.

Less is more.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 15:50:51 pm »

What you two are talking about fits the bill.

I wondered about that one myself.

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2011, 17:50:00 pm »

Here's a pic of Jim Logudice's 67, This was my inspiration car Dec 1975....
The Pin striping was BadAss! very subtle.

After buying and selling about 25 VWs, in 1977 I finally found my Java green 67 in 1977!

Lowered and Dechromed it, NOS 5 spokes (bought at the Empi garage sale), 145/165 XZX's, then installed a 1835cc, Berg C/W crank, 110, Zenith and fourtuned exhaust.

Sorry to jack your thread John, Thanks for letting me reminisce a little....

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 17:54:52 pm by OgCalLook » Logged

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2011, 18:39:16 pm »

The infamous "Toilet" piloted by Stan (Captain Peanut Butter).  There was a story that Stan laid under the "Toilet" for a long period of time at the F&A shop adjusting the clutch.  The only problem was the motor was out of the vehicle.  Details, details, details.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Hi John.

i would like to know more about this bus, that i love.

one of the best i've ever seen.

two or three details, but the right ones.

could you please post more pics if you have or stories if you remember?
thanks

Filippo
johnl

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2011, 23:35:21 pm »

The infamous "Toilet" piloted by Stan (Captain Peanut Butter).  There was a story that Stan laid under the "Toilet" for a long period of time at the F&A shop adjusting the clutch.  The only problem was the motor was out of the vehicle.  Details, details, details.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Hi John.

thanks

Filippo

As I remember the bus (Toilet) was first an F & A shop vehicle and somewhere along the way Stan Davis acquired it.  Beyond that I don't remember much about it other than the clutch adjustment story I've previously mentioned.  I'm still working on more photos and stories and have some ready to post currently, but I'm holding back a bit not to overload all of you with this ancient history.

One thing I can share is that last Sunday at Nick's I posed the question of doing a recreation of the 1972 road trip to Featherly Park.  Of the current DKP members that were present all seemed to say yes and I think it could happen sometime early in 2012.  I still need to go out and do some scouting for the original location.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 02:11:16 am »

Hi John.

thanks

Filippo

As I remember the bus (Toilet) was first an F & A shop vehicle and somewhere along the way Stan Davis acquired it.  Beyond that I don't remember much about it other than the clutch adjustment story I've previously mentioned.  I'm still working on more photos and stories and have some ready to post currently, but I'm holding back a bit not to overload all of you with this ancient history.

One thing I can share is that last Sunday at Nick's I posed the question of doing a recreation of the 1972 road trip to Featherly Park.  Of the current DKP members that were present all seemed to say yes and I think it could happen sometime early in 2012.  I still need to go out and do some scouting for the original location.

I remember the "Toilet" very well. Sarge's single port motor ended up in it, less the Zenith. I bought that motor from Stan, with a Holley on it. Ran it for a year, racing

against my fellow NBVA club member Kris Klingaman. Those were good times...Too good to share all of them  Grin
Sarge

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2011, 20:30:19 pm »

Spent a little time today on the computer trying to put a road trip into reality and actually drove the Bug over to visit Canyon RV Park (part of Featherly Regional Park).  To put a long story short,
I was not permitted inside the park as they're not interested in letting non-RV types in... no day trippers, poparazzi, cruising, etc!!  Here's a link to the park as well as a map (our original photo
shoot was taken inside the small roundabout on the left side of the map... area Y15).  I tried.... Sad

http://canyonrvpark.com/home/

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2011, 20:54:37 pm »

Spent a little time today on the computer trying to put a road trip into reality and actually drove the Bug over to visit Canyon RV Park (part of Featherly Regional Park).  To put a long story short,
I was not permitted inside the park as they're not interested in letting non-RV types in... no day trippers, poparazzi, cruising, etc!!  Here's a link to the park as well as a map (our original photo
shoot was taken inside the small roundabout on the left side of the map... area Y15).  I tried.... Sad

http://canyonrvpark.com/home/

Jim,  Many thanks for your exploratory efforts.  For some reason I had a gut feeling it wouldn't turn out positive when I saw "RV" in the listing.  There are car shows there as that is what I ran into when out there last week.  I opted not to pay the $$ to go in and see a bunch of Low Riders.

I almost had to laugh when I saw the slogan listed on their web page, "Where Memories Are Made", but in our case it would be "Where Memories Were Made".  Sometimes you just can't go back no matter how bad you want to.

There are many other parks to choose from, so maybe we could still do something on the same order.  Who know, 40 year sf from now a new group of VW people would be looking at those photos and talking about how cool that was......    Wink

bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2011, 22:09:04 pm »

ty guys for infos about the toilet.

when u will find some more pictures i will be glad to see them!!

ty for all these memories you are sharing with us
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2011, 22:54:40 pm »

here's one at carlsbad with underdog II  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: