The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 17:50:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK  (Read 38228 times)
johnl

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2011, 23:33:28 pm »

here's one at carlsbad with underdog II  Wink

Okay, another story.  One of the Carlsbad Drag events Stan Davis decided to be towed via a bus and it might have been the "Toilet".  Stan placed his backside on a trash can lid and hung on to the two rope.  He wasn't there very long as things got HOT...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The other memorable event occurred in the very early morning hours.  We were all in line for the gates to open and it was COLD.  There was a large trash can and some of us found what ever we could burn to keep warm.  Someone got "creative" and placed part of the Carlsbad Sign in the car and as it started to burn the owner, think his name was Larry, arrived.  When he saw this he did pull the sign and went ballistics wanting to know how had done this.  We all stood thee silent and waited for him to tell us to leave and never come back. 

Somehow he calmed down and the even went on.  We won't mention any names here as to who supplied the sign to the fire, but as I recall his initials were "JE".  You guys figure it out......................    Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2011, 23:36:26 pm »

Someone got "creative" and placed part of the Carlsbad Sign in the car Carlsbad Sign in the car should read Carlsbad Sign in the CAN.     Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2011, 17:32:56 pm »

Neil, I knew Jim pretty well back then, his red 67 had two pinstripes done by" Shaky Jake "where the trim used to be , Jim was also friends with Walt (Walts Porsche service) in Santa Ana,and Scott Hendery (Scotts Orange Indepenent Porsche service) in Orange ,next door to Beckers Bug house, I dated Debbie Becker,( Leonard Beckers daughter) on and off for some time, VW - Porsche shops in O.C.where kind of a tangeled web of evrey body knows everybody
Hi Keith, It's been many years since we've talked or seen each other and thanks to the lounge here we are.

You are right about the Aronson '59 cabriolet.  Greg and I put together a package deal which you may remember.  I bought Greg's house that he and Jim Holmes shared for a while, he bought my mercedes for Jessica and I got the Porsche along with the house, remember that?  Anyhow, we put the Porsche motor back in the cabby with a 1750 kit and Greg driiled out the zenith manifolds and we put 42's on.  I later sold the car to Vasek Polak Porsche and he put it in his personal collection that was under his dealership.
Jim

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
kingsburgphil

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2011, 23:21:46 pm »

Neil, I knew Jim pretty well back then, his red 67 had two pinstripes done by" Shaky Jake "where the trim used to be , Jim was also friends with Walt (Walts Porsche service) in Santa Ana,and Scott Hendery (Scotts Orange Indepenent Porsche service) in Orange ,next door to Beckers Bug house, I dated Debbie Becker,( Leonard Beckers daughter) on and off for some time, VW - Porsche shops in O.C.where kind of a tangeled web of evrey body knows everybody
That tangled web was unofficially known as "La Porsche Nostra".        File that with.... little known facts, hardly worth knowing.
Sarge

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2011, 01:35:56 am »

here's one at carlsbad with underdog II  Wink

Thanks for the paparrazi acknowledgements Bro Grin  As for the Toilet, I spent a load of time in the passenger seat with Greg at the wheel.  Back then, Greg was working out of his Dad's garage and I was fresh out of the Army trying to sell life insurance.  I spent WAY more time helping Greg by painting and installing the tin on the engines he was building.  We did all the parts chasing in the Toilet which had a bad habit of jumping out of fourth gear... to the point of Greg having to install a bungie cord under the seat to hold the shifter. Roll Eyes Grin  The high point of those days was 4:00pm when Highway Patrol came on TV.... BREAK TIME (time to siphon off a few beers from Dad's tapper).  Ah, the good old daze! Cool

DKP III
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2011, 12:07:21 pm »

Jim LoGudice, how are ya man? I sent you a PM,  lets catch up!!   Grin Grin Grin      KG
kingsburgphil

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:16 am »

For those among you who don't know Mr. Logudice, he is a true bespoken gentleman in the VW/Porsche community.

Personally I try to avoid him, lest I set fire to my closet and its contents Cheesy
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2011, 03:05:38 am »

For those among you who don't know Mr. Logudice, he is a true bespoken gentleman in the VW/Porsche community.

Personally I try to avoid him, lest I set fire to my closet and its contents Cheesy

Phil, you are too kind Wink
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 23:08:07 pm by Jim LoGudice » Logged

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
Ivan

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2011, 02:48:22 am »

A more "personal" shot.  Left to right, Mike Mahaffey, Jim Brooks facing us, Stan Davis and Mark Thurber.  Unknown Corvette in background.

What was it Brooks was so stunned by? Shocked
johnl

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2011, 22:11:41 pm »

A more "personal" shot.  Left to right, Mike Mahaffey, Jim Brooks facing us, Stan Davis and Mark Thurber.  Unknown Corvette in background.

What was it Brooks was so stunned by? Shocked

Possibly how "small" things are in real life....................    Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2011, 22:21:47 pm »

wow thankyou John - Those are some amazing pictures, Its great to see more/different pic's of your car and the many others  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 05:28:00 am »

How in the hell did I ever miss this post?!! My favorite part of KS' 1995 book was the 1972 pics from this day/park. John, very cool of you to share the golden images.

Man I was born about 25 years too late.

johnl

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 15:35:13 pm »

How in the hell did I ever miss this post?!! My favorite part of KS' 1995 book was the 1972 pics from this day/park. John, very cool of you to share the golden images.

Man I was born about 25 years too late.

Jim, glad you found this link and more pleased you enjoyed the photos.  Many memories there for me every time I look at them.  We only get to go through life once so all should make the most of it....

maX cal-look

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 20:32:29 pm »

Just another thank's for pic's johnl  ... amazing tribute

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: