The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:11:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK  (Read 37740 times)
johnl

« on: October 31, 2011, 01:25:32 am »

The next installment of my photos will be of our Sunday, February 1972 trip to Featherly Park in Anaheim.  I can't remember how this outing came to be but many of the photos you see of DKP cars in Keith Seume's books were shot on this day and at this location.  At the time the park was almost new and you will see that via the small trees.  Today I'd suspect they are huge, but I don't recall ever going back after this trip.

Greg Aronson shot most of the photos that are published in Keith's books with a Hasselblad Camera that as I recall he borrowed possibly from his brother Jeff.  The photos you are viewing here were either shot by Christie or myself.  This time I'll only do one photo per caption except for the first travel shots.

The first three will be on the 91 freeway driving east.  Christie stood up at speed through Butternut's sunroofand got these.  It was a typical February hazy day and I'd say this was about 11 am.  The car directly behind us in Mark and Cindy Thurber, car # 5 I believe to be Rick Winter and #6 is Greg Aronson.  Beyond this I just can't see or remember so help would be appreciated.  The second shot is more clear and you can see the train crossing very close to Tustin Ave.  In the final shot of these you can clearly see the sign with street names and also a Ford pickup that was more than likely almost new at the time.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:30:07 am »

In this shot we'd circled the wagons it looks like.  In the fore ground nose to nose is Rick Winter's red '64 and Butternut on the right.  I can make out Aronson's white car in the background and next to it is the "Toilet" driven by Stan Davis.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:28 am »

Butternut shown similar to photos that have been published.  It is sitting in the same position, but different camera angles were taken.  Mike Mahaffey's green split in the background and notice how small the trees are.

johnl

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:37:19 am »

A front shot of Butternut with Rick Winter's red car to the left, Mike Mahaffey's green split at the rear of my car and to the right the black car I believe to be Rick Zavala's.  Possibly on the far right is Bill McMillan's zenith blue car.

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:41:22 am »

Now those are some SUPER FINE photos there John!

Truly awesome you still have these around and we have the technology for All to see.

Thanks Buddy,
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
johnl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:43:43 am »

The rear of Butternut with the deck lid open showing the 1700cc engine which would be replaced later that year with the 1900cc 48IDA motor.  That may be Sarge's car to the left and once again I'm thinking Bill McMillan's to the right.  Note the Pepsi can on the ground to the left of my car.  I was able to blow it up and see the vintage logo..

johnl

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 01:50:00 am »

This looks to be McMillan, Butternut, Winter and possibly Sarge's car on the far right.  I have no idea who the guy taken the photos is, but he is in some other of our shots.

johnl

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:05:58 am »

Sitting on the left side of the bench is Mike Lar Lar Larsen.  The three to his right I can't identify.  Bill McMillan is standing to the far right.  Steve Liekus standing in front of Stan Davis' "Toilet" with Aronson's car to the right.

The Ford van in the background may also be Aronson's and I have no idea who the 356 belongs to.

johnl

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:14:10 am »

Arnie Mohlman standing holding the ball, Stan Davis standing on table, Bill McMillan sitting on table and the girl is unknown.  Ron Fleming's car at far left and Rick Winter at right.  Note the 91 freeway in the background elevated with a truck passing by.

johnl

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:25 am »

Unknown Clemtine car (orange), Mark Thurber and I think Kip Ralston with the dark blue car.  Possibly Lisa Fleming with her back to the camera by the black car.

johnl

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:27:01 am »

Another group shot.  Left to right, Mahaffey, possibly Arnie Mohlman, Rick Zavala, Bill McMillan, Butternut, Rick Winter.

johnl

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 02:33:52 am »

Another group shot of cars.  Two girls sitting on the table and I think Christie Lazenby is on the right.

johnl

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:51 am »

Group shot and that may be Sarge in the Orange shirt.  Note the 91 freeway elevated in the background.

johnl

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 02:44:11 am »

Rick Winter's red '64.  Note the Aronson like rear deck lid.

johnl

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:08 am »

A shot of Mike "2180" Mahaffey pulling into the circle.  I spent the morning with Mike and Dennis De Marco today at Drag Day and we discusses days of long ago.

johnl

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 02:50:48 am »

Another shot of the legendary V8 eliminator....  I hate to say that owning numerous Hemi cars, but facts are facts.   Wink Wink

johnl

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 02:54:05 am »

An engine shot of I believe to be Mark Thurber's car.

johnl

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 02:56:11 am »

Possibly Kip Ralson's dark blue car.

johnl

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 02:58:11 am »

The dark blue car once again.  I think that is Kip pointing to it on the left.

johnl

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:30 am »

Mike Lar-Lar Larsen's gold car in fore ground.  Possibly Jim Brook's car on the left.

johnl

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 03:02:09 am »

Mark Thurber's car.

johnl

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:37 am »

Jim Brooks, Ron Fleming, Greg Aronson's cars.  Mahaffey's in the background.

johnl

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:12 am »

I believe this is Mark Thurber's car, but I don't remember the exhaust ports being filled in.

johnl

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 03:08:55 am »

Mark Thurber's dash.

johnl

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:08 am »

A more "personal" shot.  Left to right, Mike Mahaffey, Jim Brooks facing us, Stan Davis and Mark Thurber.  Unknown Corvette in background.

johnl

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 03:16:13 am »

The infamous "Toilet" piloted by Stan (Captain Peanut Butter).  There was a story that Stan laid under the "Toilet" for a long period of time at the F&A shop adjusting the clutch.  The only problem was the motor was out of the vehicle.  Details, details, details.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 03:18:26 am »

Weber and Solex power...

johnl

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:22 am »

Unknown car on left, center I think is Brooks or Thurber and black car on right is Zavala's.

johnl

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:26:55 am »

For the time that will finish this section of my post.  For those club members who's cars are not shown I'm sorry, but almost 40 years ago who would have thought anyone but us would have cared.  I hope all who view these will appreciate the times we lived and what we did with our cars. 

Great friends and memories are all I have of these times.  I'd love to go back and live it again, but that is not possible.  Thanks to the current DKP guys and all of the other clubs they've made me feel welcome and I thank them all for that.

More photos and subject to cover in the future, so with that said please POST AWAY to the thread.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 04:24:24 am »

Incredible photos, John. Thanks for taking the time to share them. By the way, the Porsche in the background appears to be a Convertible D to my eye, didn't one of the guys from FAT have one?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: