The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:21:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  AUTO HAUS STORES, THE PHOTOS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: AUTO HAUS STORES, THE PHOTOS  (Read 26656 times)
johnl

« on: December 19, 2011, 19:23:44 pm »

Time for the next installment in my photo collection.  Being that it is close to Christmas time I felt the urge to share.

The first photo is taken in the Costa Mesa store, 1953 Newport Blvd in the back room.  I'm thinking this was about 1975.   Standing is Pat (I can grow a beard in less than 30 minutes) McMahon and a "mystery man" sitting next to him is not a character from Monte Python.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Anyone know who this lad might be??  I'll wait for some return post before commenting if someone has figured it out.  What I can tell you up front is that when my wife saw this she couldn't believe it was the name that I offered.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 19:30:40 pm »

At the counter of the Costa Mesa Store are the same two employees.  Anyone interested in some of those "original" Auto Haus T-Shirts or stickers??

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 19:35:37 pm »

A shot of the Costa Mesa Parking lot.  The BMW at the far right is my first one, a 1972 Bavaria 4 speed that was a great car.  Standing behind the car is Gary Michael Huggins, DKP founder.

If you look at the Ghia to the far left it might offer a clue as to who the "mystery man" might be.  I know there is someone out there lusting for the Vega...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 19:42:12 pm »

Here a a photo that must have been taken around Christmas time.  This is the room just north of the counter and is the location of my first meeting with my friend Bruce Cooley.  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,12437.0.html  At times we would set up sand rail frames in there with all the accessories we offered to go with that part of the hobby.

johnl

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 19:49:38 pm »

Some of the many exhaust systems we carried back in the day.  Most were the S&S brand and by this time the Mini Truck market was starting to grow.  Systems for those vehicles were added to our offerings but we never had that much luck selling them.

You will not see any "quiet pack" systems here as this photo predates them.

johnl

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 20:00:05 pm »

This would be the south west corner of the store.  The white spoke wheels you see are Jackman brand which was big in the day for off road use. 

Fender flairs at the top with some Baja fenders below which were offered in "Handlaid" or "Chopper Gun" style from our Race-Trim facility in Buena Park very close to the Fullerton Airport.  This location had a major fire and was destroyed and I've written about that in the past.

You can see the "Moon Roofs" that were the rage back then.  Personally I never could understand how someone could take a VW, Mini Truck or Van and cut a hole in the roof and install one of these things.  You can also see some side windows for Vans in the photo.  I especially like the "Tear Drop" version.  I think Ed Craig and I shared and still share the same feelings on these items.

johnl

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 20:09:53 pm »

I've posted this photo before and it is of me in the Orange Store.  This location later became the Proformance store for Dave Greiner.  Today I think it is some kind of a mini market.  The location was 1211 N. Tustin Ave. just south of Katella.

The chimp was named Melinda and a gal walked in carrying it.  I asked if I could hold her and was amazed when I went to take her she reached out like a person would do.  You could feel the strength in the chimps arms.  After hearing some stories of recent times what these animals can do to a human I think I'd not go there.

Note the Auto Haus Golf shirt.  We had them in many colors as I recall.

In the background you can see real Santana Pulleys in both sizes and 32NDIX Zenith carbs and Race Trim dual carb linkage.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 20:21:01 pm »

Mystery man is Mug Dish... I mean Doug Mische. Looking 'happy' as always!

I have an Autohaus Westminster T-shirt and a generic Autohaus T-shirt – the latter I bought in period when I used to order parts from Autohaus. I still have a few of the small decals (someone there sent me about 50 or the things..) plus a couple pf the big ones.

John, you looked so handsome, so young, so... er, not sure what!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 20:23:07 pm »

This is the Buena Park store, 6315 Beach Blvd. where it all started for me in 1971 and many others soon after.  This would be the south west corner of the building.  Liner kits on the floor and I can't read the prices, but they were far less than today.  To the left of these was a couple of stacks of Coco Mats which we kept away from the front window to keep them from fading due to sun exposure.

The large beach towel showing all of the car logos I still have to this day and it lives in the trunk of my '63 sedan.  Still looks pretty good 40 years later.  

To the right of this you can see a VDO display with several gauges on the shelf as well.  We sold this brand along with Auto Meter back in the day.  Above the VDO you can see a couple of cards of Badges that were popular back then.  This was the era that M.G. Mitten and Vilem B. Hann were still in the game and AMCO accessories was a big name.

In the foreground you can see the top of a fiberglass buggy seat.  We sold lots of them and the covers and padding as well.

deano

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 20:38:36 pm »

Check out th stack of lizard and ISS 92s on the floor!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 20:45:46 pm »

This shot would be the north wall next to Crocker Bank and taken from behind the counter.  Many things on display here such as an Okrasa crank and I think the sign states $275 or $295.  Think about that price in that days $$ and you can appreciate what is out there to day for about the same money.

To the right of the Okrasa is an SPG Roller crank.  I think that thing hung there forever as it was more $$ as I remember.  The other cranks I can't remember but I do see one there marked 82mm.

Above the cranks you see a couple of Engel cams and to the right a Race-Trim windage tray and sump.  We carried Koni, Bilstein and lesser brand shocks for VW and Porsche applications.

You can see some of the Race-Trim wood dash kits and one of my favorites is down low.  There is a lattice item that is in the shape of a rear quarter window for a VW sedan and that is exactly what it was for.  This was when Lynn went to the "dark side" and bought crap like this.

Many other items are there and you just need to spend some time looking.  It is amazing how much stuff we offered the customer back in the early days.

lawrence

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 20:55:02 pm »

I like the second to last photo. Looks like some cool beer mugs hanging on the wall and a brand new speedwell wheel. Any idea on the cars, in photos, hanging on the wall, John?

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
johnl

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 20:56:49 pm »

Another shot of the north wall taken from further back.  You can see S&S Headers, Rapid Kool external kits and numerous intake manifolds, many of them being for a 2 barrel set up as this was more affordable back in the day. 

There is a pair of 48IDA Webers on Race-Trim Manifolds and there is also a Turbo Kit as well.  We sold many of the green foam filters (pre K&N) but I'm blank on the brand name currently.

To the far right is a display of driving and fog lites.  We were a Cibie distributor and a couple of other brands.  Note the HP Books below the sump.

Last but not least are some more of those "Lynn" window fillers on the front of the counter.  I honestly can' remember if we ever sold one set except for the ones that Ed Craig installed in his Split....   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked   Grin Grin Grin

johnl

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 21:09:40 pm »

The final photo of these series and I've saved the best for last.  The young lad behind the counter is my longtime friend Ed Craig probably within a few months after he started working there.

Behind Ed you can see steering wheels, nerf bars, tinted window inserts and rear storage-speaker covers in the upper right.  There are also a couple of Hurst Shifters.  Many other items I'm sure are here that I've missed, so I'll let you guys and gals with the better eyes look and see what you can find.

Enjoy......................   
Wink Wink Wink Wink

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 21:11:56 pm »

Once again, A great story and photos John !
If only we could go back.
 Smiley
johnl

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 21:13:52 pm »

Mystery man is Mug Dish... I mean Doug Mische. Looking 'happy' as always!

I have an Autohaus Westminster T-shirt and a generic Autohaus T-shirt – the latter I bought in period when I used to order parts from Autohaus. I still have a few of the small decals (someone there sent me about 50 or the things..) plus a couple pf the big ones.

John, you looked so handsome, so young, so... er, not sure what!  Grin

Keith, you win the prize and quite a "prize" he is.  I can't tell you how many shirts, hats, etc. I had and let slip though my fingers.  I do still have some items such as a couple of completely virgin AH Catalogs and maybe more items to be discovered.

John, you looked so handsome, so young, so... er, not sure what!

Regarding your comment above I can clearly see that you haven't gotten over the Colonies kicking butt all those years ago.    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 21:19:21 pm »

I like the second to last photo. Looks like some cool beer mugs hanging on the wall and a brand new speedwell wheel. Any idea on the cars, in photos, hanging on the wall, John?

Ron Rosevear was BIG into off road stuff and shot lots of photos.  I suspect these might have been his, but beyond that I don't recall.

johnl

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 21:21:23 pm »

Once again, A great story and photos John !
If only we could go back.
 Smiley

Richard,

Pleased you are enjoying these.  I have more photos and stories to share in the future.    Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Merry Christmas...............  John

Flow

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 22:14:48 pm »

Now we know how the heaven is...  Cool

Nostalgiavw67

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 22:16:31 pm »

John,
Thank you for your X-mas presents  Wink
kingsburgphil

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 22:22:16 pm »

Another shot of the north wall taken from further back.  You can see S&S Headers, Rapid Kool external kits and numerous intake manifolds, many of them being for a 2 barrel set up as this was more affordable back in the day. 

There is a pair of 48IDA Webers on Race-Trim Manifolds and there is also a Turbo Kit as well.  We sold many of the green foam filters (pre K&N) but I'm blank on the brand name currently.

To the far right is a display of driving and fog lites.  We were a Cibie distributor and a couple of other brands.  Note the HP Books below the sump.

Last but not least are some more of those "Lynn" window fillers on the front of the counter.  I honestly can' remember if we ever sold one set except for the ones that Ed Craig installed in his Split....   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked   Grin Grin Grin

IIRC the green foam air filters were made by Filtron. They worked well if you kept them away from water Cheesy
johnl

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 22:46:57 pm »

Now we know how the heaven is...  Cool

Heaven is a good way to describe what we did for jobs back in the day.  We had a great time but I know I certainly didn't appreciate how great those times were until time moved on.

I've had some good jobs and times since then, but nothing to compare...............

johnl

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 22:49:06 pm »

IIRC the green foam air filters were made by Filtron. They worked well if you kept them away from water Cheesy

Thanks Phil for filling in my "Senior Moment".  I do remember those and a few others back in the day.

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 22:59:56 pm »

[  I know there is someone out there lusting for the Vega...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked[/color][/i][/b]

Thanks John, those pictures sure bring back memories, and yes I like Vega's!
johnl

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 23:05:38 pm »

[  I know there is someone out there lusting for the Vega...   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked[/color][/i][/b]

Thanks John, those pictures sure bring back memories, and yes I like Vega's!

Vegas and Pintos got the bad rap just as the Corvair did a few years prior.  I always thought the Vega was a good design but not the greatest factory motor.  That is an easy fix as you have proved.......    Wink Wink Wink Wink

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:44 am »

John,

Here are two contributions of my pix in front of the Auto Haus stores.  One is the Costa Mesa store and the other the Orange store near NORMS Restaurant.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
johnl

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:22 am »

John,

Here are two contributions of my pix in front of the Auto Haus stores.  One ise. the Costa Mesa store and the other the Orange store near NORMS Restaurant.

Rick Mortensen

Rick,  thanks for both of those as I don't have a shot of the front of the Orange store.  A couple of notes about both of these locations.  One night we had break ins at both of these locations.  I got one of them boarded up and spent the night sitting in the other one.  Definitely no fun and a night I won't forget.

The other was on August 16, 1977 in the early afternoon.  I was in the Orange store and the radio we had on just finished playing the then new release of "You don't bring me flowers anymore" a duet with Barbra Streisand and Neal Diamond.  The song finished and the announcement came on that Elvis Presley had died.  One of those moments burnt in my memory forever.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 04:08:45 am »

Thankyou john - Merry Christmas  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
johnl

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:59 am »

December 19, 2011, 9 pm.  I just went to the Beetle tucked away in the garage and retrieved the "beach towel" shown in the Buena Park Store shots.  It does smell a  bit of gas as it has been in the trunk for years, but none the less here it is with me holding it.  I'd say it has stood the test of time better than I have....    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Fritter

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:57 am »

Good stuff!  Love the DDS parts.  And no "Calvin peeing on xxxx" stickers yet. Instead, there were lace inserts for your windows.  Grin

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: