The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 15:21:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old Skool early headers - Pictures & information PLEASE :)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Old Skool early headers - Pictures & information PLEASE :)  (Read 22019 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 20:41:29 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Don. So you work with Don Lindfors? Super guy he is.

Chris,  the guy writing comments is Don Lindfors.............................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 21:18:17 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Don. So you work with Don Lindfors? Super guy he is.

Chris - Dat be Me, my friend - I am one and the same

Opps, John already clarified that.  Wink
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 22:34:52 pm »

Just for fun, here is what the Thunderbird 1 3/8" header and single Quiet Muffler look like today on my 66 Bug. This is the H4065 that Nico was talking about. And it is a hose clamp that goes through the tab on the muffler and then around the #2 tube to support it. The early (1970's) version had a HUGE hose clamp that went around the entire muffler and the header tube.
And Chris, I am pretty sure the Quiet Packs first came out in 1975, I was working at Auto Haus then and I remember when we first got them, so my fuzzy memory says '75

Guess I should have cleaned the chrome tip, but i drove through some rain on the weekend.  Grin

Very nice, I like the way the muffler is sitting under the car. And the tip isn't too much flared as well. Thnaks for the infos and pics  Wink

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 22:53:29 pm »

I work for PerTronix as the Director of R&D for the Exhaust Division. We bought Ermie Immerso Enterprises (Thunderbird Headers) a bit over 12 years ago when Ermie decided to retire. He passed on in 2004. We never really pushed the Thunderbird line after acquisition to the retail market. As Ermie had done, we do a lot of this product as Private Label. We have recently started to discontinue most of the Thunderbird Line and are selling a majority of it on Ebay. Although we still do quite a bit of Private label.
  The H4068 that was mentioned above is a 1 1/2" primary with a 2" inlet Glaspack in black, but we are sold out of them. We do have a few left in Ceramic Coated
The Zoom Tube mentioned is actually part #H3903 and we do have some of those left.

As for Doug Thorley Headers - we did NOT buy that company. It gets a little confusing, so bear with me. Doug's original company was called Headers by Doug and then he started using Doug's Headers. Eventually it became Doug Thorley Headers, but that was about the time that he got divorced and his wife Betty got the company. Although he did do some R&D and assist her with the business over the years (and Jerry Jardine did some design work for her as well) Doug had his own company called Doug's Headers. When Betty passed away, here partner sold the company to Summit Industries (NOT Summit Racing) in Corona CA who also owned Jardine (Since sold to SuperTrapp). They never did any VW stuff as Thorley that i am aware of and certainly don't now. When Doug decided to retire about 8 years ago, We bought The Original Doug's Headers. The H4076 and H4077 listed above (Bugpipes) are NOT the Doug version, but Ermie had that same design as well and so those are a Thunderbird product built in the Thunderbird fixtures - the Doug's ones were destroyed long ago, before we bought the company. But either way, those have been discontinued as well. 

Just thought I'd fill in the blanks here  Grin In the long run what will happen to the Thunderbird name and product line? Hard to say. It may go away or we may resurrect it. But with so much VW stuff being produced off shore these days and a smaller market than the heyday of the 1970's it is difficult to compete and make a reasonable profit. As they say - stay tuned.

I sent you a private message Don.

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 04:46:17 am »

And Chris, I am pretty sure the Quiet Packs first came out in 1975, I was working at Auto Haus then and I remember when we first got them, so my fuzzy memory says '75

That would be consistent with my memory. The first one I saw was on a friends black '67. This was the car that sent me on my road to ruin!  Grin

Anyway he had the car 3-4 years before I bought my '67 in '77 or '78 and I never remember it running anything but a QP.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 23:13:44 pm »

Jesus! How many Dyno Dons can one forum have?!?!?! I was traveling so I didn't get the reply to this post until I saw you post the Blair Anglia (good lord, ANOTHER DON!).

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 00:00:58 am »

Jesus! How many Dyno Dons can one forum have?!?!?! I was traveling so I didn't get the reply to this post until I saw you post the Blair Anglia (good lord, ANOTHER DON!).

No, there is only one of ME!  Cheesy
der60er

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 15:50:19 pm »

does anyone know which header this is ?
the big flange looks rare....
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

bugnut68

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 18:40:04 pm »

does anyone know which header this is ?
the big flange looks rare....
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Looks like a run-of-the-mill Thunderbird header and QP, to me.
der60er

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 15:57:59 pm »

welll.. got this thing here... 35mm pipes (1 3/8")

on header is a sticker "made in mexico"

on the muffler "made in hong kong"

no thunderbird sign at all...

flange on header is 2 1/2" (63,5mm)
flange on muffler is 2" (52mm)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 18:10:10 pm by der60er » Logged

bugnut68

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 18:30:17 pm »

I guess what I should have said was 'Thunderbird style.'  Lol. 
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 20:53:06 pm »

Let see some more WHITE MUFFLERS  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 23:05:05 pm »

I'm gonna bump an old thread of mine........

And a small update..... I brought a NOS/boxed  Ermie Immerso Enterprises header and Glass pack muffler a while back - The sales invoice shows it was sold back in 1995

Unfortunetly I was sold it as a 40hp system BUT the header was for later 13/1600  Roll Eyes so after some cutting/grinding/welding I got it to work on my 1200....... I then set about making some metal "fresh air" pipes for the heatexchangers...... sounds easy huh  Roll Eyes

The left one for 3&4 is pretty straight forward only taking 2 pieces weled together but the right one for 1&2 is a nighmare! It took 5 pieces pie cut and twisted to get it to work and look right..... The worst part is though after approx 8hrs work NO ONE will ever see it  Roll Eyes Cheesy Smiley

I have wrapped the header/fresh air pipes/joints with some HIGH QUALITY white exhaust wrap and the Glass pack muffler is painted in MATT white with a nice 70's style chrome flared tip  Wink

Pic's to follow soon  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: