The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:01:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  15,000rpm and no camshaft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 15,000rpm and no camshaft  (Read 8138 times)
John Maher

« on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:12 am »

Amazing technology from the people at Koenigsegg.
The design uses a solenoid operated pneumatic cylinder (using the valve stem as the piston) to open the valve.
The video shows a retro fitted Saab engine that has so far covered 60,000km.
Check the valve lift profile... max area under the curve without having to run big duration.
Might take a while before we see it on a VW  Wink

" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bch5B23_pu0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Bch5B23_pu0</a>"

John Maher

andy198712

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:35 am »

very interesting....

i'm sure they would happily fit it to our vw engine if we drove in the beetle. filled under the bonet with £50 notes and came back a few months later  Grin

its great though for the same rpm we could have good flow gains.... thus power and torque without upping the rev limit.

Scoops

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:36:26 am »

Wow!....would love to see what they could do with a flat 4 aircooled motor
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 14:03:49 pm »

I recommend all the episodes, they are all interesting.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
spanners

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 16:37:34 pm »

Its a win win situation, and will be the next step for G.P cars and bikes, auto chassis engineering wins from much reduced CoG, GP bikes likewise, but also gain lap time from much reduced Gyroscopic forces speeding up the direction change capability of the bike, but a rule exists to mandate a camshaft as a way of reigning in power and cutting development costs, hence the 18000 max rpm rule, G.P racing has lost its way and is now endurance racing, endurance racing now sees all the development and technology / aero work, and is what racing should be about, flat out till the end..

Best regards, spanners.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 17:00:48 pm »

Pneumatic actuated valves is probably the last, and the greatest leap forward in internal combustion engine design. Only a matter of time before the technology is refined and trickles down to everyday production cars.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frallan

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 19:12:32 pm »

I recommend all the episodes, they are all interesting.
-BB-
I agree!
The people aroudn the world who think Koeniggsegg is a "kit car" will sooner or later be surprised.
It NOT about a CF body and a lot of HP.
It is a lot more and in harmony.
Innovators.
I have followed some global threads on the new Hundra CF wheels. People are totally lost.
Had the fortune to visit the CF shop few weeks go in Malmö that does the wheels. Nice setup and very nice technology. Not just copy of existing CF wheel.
Watch the episodes. Impressive!

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 19:35:04 pm »

Hmmmm very interesting  Smiley  I drive past the Koeniggsegg showroom here in fredrikstad everyday  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 19:46:57 pm »

In case you dont know, Fiat has production line engines on the road with that system. - Or at least their own version of the system

But still interesting stuff.

T
Roman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 20:56:38 pm »

Might take a while before we see it on a VW  Wink

Don't be too shore, JPM has done a lot of work for Koenigssegg during the years! Grin
For instance, the GT1 prototype they made have a JPM engine design...
Frallan

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 23:47:01 pm »

...True. Johannes has been involved. Very cool!
A pity the GT rules changed to exclude factories like Koenigsegg
Also the rims are made by Koenigsegg and Composite Design in Malmö. My joint composite engineer garduate Fredrik Wettermark is behind that.
They did the first prototype chassis tub like 12 or more years ago. Then produced it after that and until now, partly in UK autoclave.

Check out the Driving videos and potentially be impressed. If anyone understands Development, this is the way to do it. Short communication channels and decision making in house.
Very powerful.

By the way, in Geneva few weeks ago, Ferrari where openly interested in the new design of the rims. I think that says a little bit.

fish

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 13:06:40 pm »

Its great to see F1 technology making its way not so far down the line of the automotive family tree.

It took KERS 8 or so years to find its way into production cars, lets see how long this takes and if its a viable option for the future.

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 16:44:46 pm »

If I'm seeing this right, the valve lift and duration the same at all RPM's? It seems to me as if much larger gains could be had if the lift and duration could be taylored to the rpm at any specific moment. Especially in regards to fuel mileage and torque.

I wonder what an engine with this technology sounds like. The VE must be staggering.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 17:07:18 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

andy198712

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 21:33:08 pm »

If I'm seeing this right, the valve lift and duration the same at all RPM's? It seems to me as if much larger gains could be had if the lift and duration could be taylored to the rpm at any specific moment. Especially in regards to fuel mileage and torque.

I wonder what an engine with this technology sounds like. The VE must be staggering.

variable valve timing maybe?....  Cool
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 22:28:25 pm »

You can have difference in everything over the whole rpm range.. It's just software..

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
GeirH

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 16:59:28 pm »

If I remember correctly, Gene Berg did mention this in "the blue book" from the 90's.
Frallan

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 19:01:03 pm »

It is not a new idea.
It is an evolution and a good one. Plus own software.

Just like the CF wheel.
Just like their gearbox, differential and how it is controled.
Just like the engine that is called Ford in derogative way by so many, and that just makes me smile.

What turns me on is all the people who always takes a negative attitude as a starting point. Just as 12 years and more, ago.
Instead of giving a thumbs up and a chance.
Turns me on because they were all wrong and had bad attitude.

Then when the factory caught on fire with all the speculations on "fraud" and "no money" and "a way to stop everything", then what happened?
Every risk and sad downturn has opportunity and that is what these guys explored.
The best? It is not about that.
Of course they are not the best.....because what criteria would we use to say that?
It is about how cool these guys are engineering and gathering more and more top guys to their team.
All small individual concquers.

I love Hennessey, Zonda and hundreds of other small engineering groups for the cool good stuff they do. Give them all credit!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 00:10:43 am »

Hot VW's, January 1977. Page 72. Check it out Wink

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:53 am »

Been following it for some time, impresive stuff!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
sonic

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 17:16:02 pm »

John

Engineering wise its very clever and impressive to watch ...defenetly a step forward I think .

Rgs
Erich
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 17:47:22 pm by sonic » Logged
AirCooledCurtis

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:46 am »

That's cool, but I'll stick with my Engle  Cheesy
nicolas

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 07:42:16 am »

really beautiful what they do there. inspirational as well.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: