The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 07:41:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351099 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rear disc brakes, 5x130 , Csp or kerscher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rear disc brakes, 5x130 , Csp or kerscher  (Read 2061 times)
pupjoint

« on: July 30, 2013, 06:31:11 am »

Anyone running these brakes?

Considering either now, car is a 66 bug, short axles, currently stock drums on BRMs.
Changing to Fuchs, fronts will be stock VW disc brakes, 4.5 FFFuchs on 145 tyres and rear will be 6 inch flat 4 Fuchs, Firestone Wide Ovals.

I emailed Kerscher, but was told their rear disc brakes only work with long axles?Huh

Could just be a language or typo mistake, but anyone running Kerscher brakes can verify this?

Will check out the CSP versions later, keen on the Kerscher after I saw my friend using them on his 68 bug.

UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 22:29:29 pm »

They both look like good kits.

I'm looking at the CSP kit now I've changed to Chevy stud pattern.

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 00:13:48 am »

The reason Kerscher says their kit will only work on long axles is that the discs have the long hub like the '68-> drums for use with the longer splines on the long axles. They will work on the short axles (with shorter splines) but you will have to machine (turn) the outer part of the hub on the disc down to the correct length, the same as on the wide 5 drums, to get the nut and security pin on.
To confuse even more the '67 axles are long but with short splines so they will also need the disc to be machined.
I know several people who have done this and did the machining for one of them myself. No problem whatsoever. It may sound risky to remove a portion of the splines but they will be as long as they are on the stock drums.

The same thing goes for the Porsche pattern rear drums on the market. They are pretty much 4-lug drums with a different bolt pattern and will also need the snout machined off to fit short axles/splines.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 00:18:05 am by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 00:54:44 am »

I have had to machine off the spline area on several of the cars I have done with the Porsche pattern on the rear with short axles. I have never had any issues related to turning off part of the snout on the drum. Just make sure you torque the drums correctly so they do not come loose and create other issues for you.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: