The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 21:20:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350879 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A DKP LEGEND PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A DKP LEGEND PASSES  (Read 10857 times)
johnl

« on: September 05, 2013, 16:15:57 pm »

Today on my way into work my cell rang.  It was Ron Fleming to advise me he had just been informed that our beloved friend Doug "Underdog" Gordon had passed.  At this point I have no details but I sure they will come soon.

Doug was a very special friend to Christie and myself.  There were many times when the three of us would visit and do things that were not DKP related.  Currently my memory is going through countless times with Doug or as most of us affectionately called him, the MASS.  Doug was a towering guy and had a heart just as big.  Once you got through that rough exterior you would find a very special person inside.

A few years ago he phoned me on a Saturday and we chatted.  I had a feeling that something wasn't just right so I said, "Doug, what is wrong"?  At that point he told me he had lost an eye due to cancer.  Christie and I made a trip up to visit him and found him to be the same big loveable guy as always. 

Some years back were able to get Doug to meet with several of the original DKP members at a local eatery and we all waited with anticipation as to how he would look and act.  The door open and in walked an older somewhat thinner Doug.  There was no mistaking that it really was the MASS.  His false eye was not really detectable and he did walk with a Cain but seemed to do well.

From that time on Ron and I tried numerous times to get him to come around but as fate would have it that never came to pass.  We don't know why he stayed away and I guess we never will.

Attached is a photo of Christie and Doug the last time we got together.  God's speed Doug, we will miss you..................................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 16:19:23 pm »

So sad...!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 18:23:42 pm »

Sad news  Undecided

RIP Doug

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 18:31:36 pm »

I was truly saddened when I heard the news earlier today. A great loss and, as Ron 'Dad'; Fleming pointed out to me on the phone, if it hadn't been for Doug agreeing to turn his street car into the original orange Underdog, Ron may not have ended up being the racer he is today.

On a personal level, I was blown away when Doug showed up at the launch of my original California Look VW book at VW Classic back in '95 or '96. He hadn't been to a VW event in an age, so it was a real surprise and a great honour.

God speed Doug – and thanks for corrupting the Flemdog...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 19:25:37 pm »

Very sad.

Godspeed Doug.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 20:12:32 pm »

Such sad news to hear ... RIP Doug Gordon!

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
johnl

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 20:24:19 pm »

I've located this link regarding Doug that I thought would be good to share.  Even with the loss of an eye he enjoyed photography and was quite good at it.  Some of his black and white work we saw was really outstanding.  http://finearttrekkinmonrovia.blogspot.com/2011/04/doug-gordon-winner-of-heart-in-arts.html

All I can say at this time is I'm still numb from the info of his passing.............

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 20:33:33 pm »

very sad news indeed. my condolences to family and friends
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 20:52:09 pm »

Sad new, condolences to the family   Undecided

Fritter

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 21:21:40 pm »

Sorry to hear about this. 

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
IP359

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 22:22:48 pm »

Sad to hear that  Sad
RIP Mr Gordon

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:55 am »

Race In Peace Doug
 Cry
Fasteddie63

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:25:33 am »

RIP Doug,He Was One Of Our Cal-Look Godfathers For Sure
flemdog

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:22 am »

It's been a real tough day for me. Thanks for everything Doug and a safe journey to vw hot rod heaven for you truly belong my friend !
Gone to soon the real "underdog" the reason I'm a vw drag racer Doug Gordon!
johnl

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 05:09:00 am »

It's been a real tough day for me. Thanks for everything Doug and a safe journey to vw hot rod heaven for you truly belong my friend !
Gone to soon the real "underdog" the reason I'm a vw drag racer Doug Gordon!

Ron it has been a tough day for several of us that knew and loved the guy.  Gregg Bunch just left my house moments ago after we did some VW related stuff and then Gregg joined Christie and myself for dinner.  Friendships that developed all of those years ago seem to endure as I think we all appreciate each other more now than back then.

I look forward to seeing you at Zero Dark Thirty on Saturday and expect a hug as you know you'll get one back.  I think the MASS will be looking down on us with approval..............

edcraig

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 06:19:08 am »

Sorry to hear the news.  Doug was a really nice guy.  RIP Doug.

...Ed
Eddie DVK

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 08:28:59 am »

Really sad.

My heart goes out to who loved\knew him.

Godspeed.

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Matty c

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 08:35:36 am »

Rip doug

67heaven
dirk zeyen

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 10:49:41 am »

Condolences to the family!!!

back again!!!
Scoops

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:03 am »

Sad news
peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 13:49:24 pm »

RIP Doug,
don't let him be forgotten.

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 22:52:48 pm »

Real inspiration to all of us guys that have ever faced the Christmas Tree across from twice-the-cylinders. Showed us what can be done with a warmed up street car, way back when.
Rest in Peace
Russell

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:40 am »

My deepest condolences to his family and to his VW friends, his car Underdog 1 was the first replica I want to build and am somewhat pleased that Underdog 2 has graced the NHRA museum. From what I know he was the man behind the scenes but a very important man.

RIP

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 15:22:04 pm »

Here are a couple more photos regarding Doug.  First is one Christie took at Cars & Coffee yesterday morning.  Ron Fleming showed up with his Underdog orange shirt on.  How appropriate we thought and Ron agreed.

Second is a shot of our wedding on August 21, 1971.  As Christie and I were walking out of the Church who else but Doug would be there.  His back is to the camera and his hands on his hips but I remember the look on his face some 42 years later.  From this photo I think you can get a perspective of how big the Mass really was.  The only thing larger about Doug as I've stated prior was his heart.  Also, the guy on the far right is Rich Kugel.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 01:35:54 am »

Condolences to the family and his close friends.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:35 am »

Very sad news, the loss of a legend and by all accounts a very nice guy.

MC Dyno Don

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 18:34:53 pm »

"Big Doug" will be missed... had a chance to view some very nice pictures that(Jonh L. sent me) that Doug took along the way in his journey of life that captured some beautiful moments. A rather quiet gentleman who enjoyed life. RIP DG....    Dyno Don
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 20:53:29 pm by MC Dyno Don » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 16:11:35 pm »

"Big Doug" will be missed... had a chance to view some very nice pictures that(Jonh L. sent me) that Doug took along the way in his journey of life that captured some beautiful moments. A rather quiet gentleman who enjoyed life. RIP DG....    Dyno Don
Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 18:10:05 pm »

Thanks Fabs..!!  For those wanting story value/ The deck lid in the picture was in fact the Underdog lid that was taken as a DGVA club prank in the early years at Orange County Raceway. I located the lost deck lid years later in an ex club members garage just sitting in the corner with some old parts. I asked to have it in my possesion and he gave it to me knowing that I thought it was only fitting to return it, after the many years gone by, back to its original owner, Doug Gordon of The Underdog.
johnl

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 05:57:41 am »

We've just returned home from a very special evening.  Recently I was contacted by a friend of Doug Gordon's advising me of a memorial gathering that was by invitation only.  This gal knew who we were by Doug talking about us numerous times over the years and thus the contact.

I started an e-mail communication with her and believe it or not she knew virtually nothing of Doug's VW days.  She even told me she had never heard of the Underdog until I mentioned it.  At that point I ask if Doug ever spoke of Ron Fleming or others and to my surprise she said no.

At that time I explained the relation that Ron and Doug had and she ask me to pass on the invitation.  So tonight Ron, Gregg Bunch, Christie and myself attended a small gathering of family and coworkers at JPL where Doug had worked for 25 years.

Ron and I told several adventures of our times with Doug and these folks were amazed.  Gregg had put together a good photo display of some of those times.  More amazing we learned that Doug had a brother two years older than him and he knew nothing of the VW history.

Doug was a rather private person and kept his illness away from most, but in this gathering we learned much of what a giving and caring person he really was.  He was well respected and loved in the local art world and had won many awards with his photography.

There was a lot of laughter and a few tears along the path.  We three Panzers feel a great loss of our dear friend but are so thankful we had the journey we were allotted with him.  I'm sure he was smiling down on all of us this evening.

Attached is a program that was passed out to all of those attending tonight and I thought I'd share it with you.  Once again God's speed Doug.  We miss you and you will always be in our thoughts and hearts....

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: