The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 19:40:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351053 Posts in 28637 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW's at the 2014 GNRS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VW's at the 2014 GNRS  (Read 14072 times)
Dave Galassi

« on: January 21, 2014, 20:36:17 pm »

Thanks to Robert Rey at Royal Pro-Motion, there will be a number of VW dragsters and gassers at this years Grand National Roadster Show, this weekend, January 24, 25 and 26, at the Fairplex in Pomona, CA.  This is the longest running indoor car show in the world and a great chance to see some amazing hot rods, customs and race cars. The Schley's will be there with both the gasser and the dragster, along with many others.  Hope to see some of you there.

deano

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 00:11:59 am »

Both the Berg '67 and the newly completed/Porsche-powered Berg dragster, along with the DDS chop top will be there too. Move in is Thursday.....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:05:06 am »

I give in...aarrgghhh...// Doug Berg is the undisputed BRM Polishing Champion..!! While I was Dreading the task of repolishing the VERY Oxidized original BRM wheels (again)on the Berg race car to make it to Pamona, I was pleasently surprised upon entering the shop today (to Mini detail the race car), only to see Doug "Attacking" the wheels with his magic touch and must say... He IS The King..!! The badly oxidized BRM's became "BERG BLING" after his personal touch. It reminded me of the early 70's when it was mandatory to have all BRM wheels in sight polished at all times.  Upon sitting back and viewing the (Time warp relic), Dee offered me some delightful weight watchers chocolate and shortly thereafter I had to exit in a gingerly fashion due to a diaretic mishap from eating the goodness....LOL.
lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 16:04:54 pm »

Could someone who is attending the show post photos? That would be awesome.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:37:30 am »

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859116&showall=1

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
2manytoys

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:02:04 am »

I give in...aarrgghhh...// Doug Berg is the undisputed BRM Polishing Champion..!! While I was Dreading the task of repolishing the VERY Oxidized original BRM wheels (again)on the Berg race car to make it to Pamona, I was pleasently surprised upon entering the shop today (to Mini detail the race car), only to see Doug "Attacking" the wheels with his magic touch and must say... He IS The King..!! The badly oxidized BRM's became "BERG BLING" after his personal touch. It reminded me of the early 70's when it was mandatory to have all BRM wheels in sight polished at all times.  Upon sitting back and viewing the (Time warp relic), Dee offered me some delightful weight watchers chocolate and shortly thereafter I had to exit in a gingerly fashion due to a diaretic mishap from eating the goodness....LOL.

Dyno,...you crack me up

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
mg

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 17:13:25 pm »

Friday the crowds are smaller.  Cool
Dimi DKG

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 21:52:33 pm »

The last part of your post reminds me of something Dyno...:-)

Sunshine, IDAs on 76 gas and Cal look friends... the real spice of life!
mg

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 04:09:08 am »

trying to find a gray haired car guy at 1130 this morning was easy.  Cheesy
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 16:04:11 pm »

I second the request ... Any one lucky to attend the show, PLEASE POST PHOTOS!
Thanks!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Dave Galassi

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 22:09:19 pm »

https://plus.google.com/photos/110654593586484037558/albums/5973394132648999969?banner=pwa

http://bangshift.com/gallery/2014-grand-national-roadster-show-drag-car-showcase.html

It was a fantastic event.  Lots of history, killer cars, good weather and people interested in VWs!  The Schley's were the best ambassadors you could imagine, telling stories and answering a lot of questions from people who were interested in the VWs, had owned them back in the day or who were plain puzzled as to why they were there.

I've got to resize my photos when I have a little more time.  They're not great, but they show what the VW and Gasser building was like.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:37:39 am by Dave Galassi » Logged
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 23:41:46 pm »

This one is nuts:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Dave Galassi

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:26:24 am »

http://blogs.hotrod.com/georgeous-gassers-at-the-2014-grand-national-roadster-show-105663.html#axzz2rlGaszoR

Glad to see Hot Rod interviewing Robert.  He put a TON of time in getting (literally and figuratively - as it was CRAZY watching these injected/blown cars driving on carpet trying to make these sharp turns to get in the building) ALL those gassers in building 3 and did a great job of it.  I know I'm tooting his horn, but this guy works really hard at putting together good cars and bleeds magnesium and metal flake.  He also helped (as did Stephan's article a few years ago) teach the general hot rodding masses about VW's.  

Three cheers for the guy!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 20:31:14 pm by Dave Galassi » Logged
beatnik beetle

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:02:19 am »

I'm chuffed that LB1 is on the Hot Rod Magazine blog... Grin
Iryanu

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 13:25:03 pm »

Great link! Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 18:04:45 pm »

Hey Dave! Your car looks perfect in that lineup as well! Happy to see it there.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:14:38 am »

Thanks Mike!  It was a real treat to be asked there.  In all my years here in Pasadena, I'd never gone to this show, for one reason or another, even though it's so close. Now I can't imagine missing it.  It was also great to see my local hot rodding hero, Pete Eastwood, asked to be an AMBR judge.  I was over at his house today listening to some stories about how that goes down...............it's pretty intense.  This year's winner, a 1935 Chevrolet Phaeton, designed by Foose and built by Trepanier was incredible in detail and quality.  One of those cars that is more stunning the closer you look at it.
A couple of funny stories from the show.............On Thursday, when I took the car to the Fairplex to physically place it in the show, there were four rows wide, like staging lanes, of trucks and trailers waiting to get near the buildings so they could unload the cars out of and off their trailers.  Save for two other gassers that I can recall, the only cars that weren't in enclosed trailers were the VWs.  In addition, when it came time to get in building 3, the gasser building, each car had to go through a set of arches, then turn left, proceed along a kind of patio area for about 75 feet and then make a sharp right, through glass doors and into the building.  Once in, each car then had to either make a sharp left or right and get shoe horned at an angle into position in one of the rooms.  Let's just say I'm glad the bugs were light, short and (at least mine) didn't have a spool in it.  It was crazy watching these mechanical injected or blown gassers trying to get in.  I'm sure there were no bugs, spiders or anything else living in that building last weekend, because they huffed enough serious fumes to die 10 times over. 

When it came time to leave on Sunday, it was a matter of push the VW back, through the hall, out the door, reconnect the battery, start it and drive.   
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 14:23:41 pm »

Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 14:27:25 pm »

Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 14:34:11 pm »

Cool  The winner!

DKP III
kaferdave

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 18:46:09 pm »

Amazing that a Phaeton (Touring) won AMBR, that must be one helluva car. Thanks all for the photos, I can live vicariously through you guys   Grin
mg

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 18:50:01 pm »

Amazing that a Phaeton (Touring) won AMBR, that must be one helluva car. Thanks all for the photos, I can live vicariously through you guys   Grin

The fix was in, I don't like it.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 20:19:16 pm »

Thanks for coming to the rescue on the pics Sarge!  The Phaeton was a love it or hate it.  The wheel choice was strange, but incorporated the original Chevy cap/design.  Can't deny the work, though.  It was subtle.

All is good, and the judge coordinator who was injured is on the mend, thank goodness.

Jim M

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 05:19:00 am »

i miss it being in oakland.

Porters Precision
nlvtinman

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 06:09:51 am »

Dave being the true "Car Guy" that he is, he's also got a large side of humility. He's not one to share this news, but
I hear that his '62 took home the trophy for 'Custom Compact' at the GNRS
Congratulations Dave!
Steve
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:09 am »

Thanks for all the pictures, info and stories congrats on the award and Sarge thanks for the shots as well. I was about to ask what the signage was on the Pepco car and you provided.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 14:41:18 pm »

Other then the inclusion of VWs, Bonneville LSR cars showed up in force this year and filled a showroom.  Truly some amazing cars! Cool

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 14:44:21 pm »

Shocked

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 14:49:33 pm »

There are about ten different showrooms to visit and "sensory-overload" quickly takes over but it's a good thing.... Grin

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 14:52:28 pm »

Smiley

DKP III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: