The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:08:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  whats this crank &other stuff!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whats this crank &other stuff!  (Read 3195 times)
whirligig

« on: March 07, 2014, 16:51:09 pm »

just wondered what this crank is thats in the 1679cc race motor,ita a counter wieghted 69(stock)mm with LEPE and INPAVI on the webs.The heads are 375 castings that some one has lightly(correctly)ported and looks like stainless intakes.have followed HOW TO HOT ROD VW ENGINES to take ports to max but not unmasked intakes as dont want to machine for commpresion.35cc chambers at the moment with 35thou deck.the 40 idfs we have need a build,2 venturis missing the ones in are 32 ,will that work onthis motor.120 cam, stock valves ,1.5id header.

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 19:01:51 pm »

Crank is cast Brazillian. I've got a 78 that's the same.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jee Ent.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 13:23:36 pm »

I've been working on a couple of those. And my advise to you.. Put it on the shelf! This crank will kill your engine for sure!
I have never in my life seen a crank this bad. If it don't bend and break in two, the cast quality is so bad that it wear the journals down before the bearings even look used.

Defiantly one of the poorest cranks ever offered..
whirligig

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 17:24:47 pm »

well this one has had 4/5 years of 1/4 miles and looks fresh still so maybe lucky ,it will have to be as we cant afford a new one yet.

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 17:37:41 pm »

well this one has had 4/5 years of 1/4 miles and looks fresh still so maybe lucky ,it will have to be as we cant afford a new one yet.
Yes it might LOOK fine or fresh. Have you meassured the journals?? I have also seen "nice" cranks where the journals was worn alot.
Never trust the look, make sure your parts are fine and be safe.

/Rolf
spanners

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 18:55:08 pm »

I don't find they are bad tho, I've ragged one to death with no mercy, circuit racing at 7000 x 128 hp for ten years, it started at 1641 ram air cooling and dry sumped it scared M3s to run scared, then built it into a 1.9 with 044s dual 45s and 145 hp, it's been up to 7200, run low on oil with a leak and I kept going to the flag with the light  flashing, had it ground and it was still good to go for more, it  must have over 18/20 race hours on it, a few were installed in cup race cars in preference to the new VW factory non c/weight stock cast cranks that are now being sold, they held up well also, not like the the bad batch Chinese forged cranks with wobble factor on no 1 main journal and flywheel face we had recently, they caused some mighty grief with very expensive seize ups.

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: