The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Interesting topic.......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Interesting topic.......  (Read 92024 times)
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2014, 22:23:23 pm »

its kind of a vicious circle when people build a car too nice to drive or too radical for the street.   When you see a nice car street driving & then see it run at the track, it makes a much greater statement than rolling it in & out of the trailer.  A few battle scars earned is just part of doing business, you try to keep them best you can, but using them is always best.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2014, 00:02:48 am »

There is something to me that all VW geeks have in commend  , The passion !! To me see'n a proper stance cal-look VW going by, is kind of magic !! Interesting communicating with other people from other place's like the internet / facebook you sure see a lot of different styles ! since I moved to Nevada I have seen some different change's. What I call the broken axle look and this clear coated rusty patina thing going on . I do not understand or judge ! But like anything , It go's in waves , Up and down.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2014, 00:03:00 am »

its kind of a vicious circle when people build a car too nice to drive or too radical for the street.   When you see a nice car street driving & then see it run at the track, it makes a much greater statement than rolling it in & out of the trailer.  A few battle scars earned is just part of doing business, you try to keep them best you can, but using them is always best.

THIS! ^5

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2014, 00:43:06 am »

its kind of a vicious circle when people build a car too nice to drive or too radical for the street.   When you see a nice car street driving & then see it run at the track, it makes a much greater statement than rolling it in & out of the trailer.  A few battle scars earned is just part of doing business, you try to keep them best you can, but using them is always best.

THIS! ^5

Very very well put  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Brian Silva

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2014, 00:54:25 am »

Very well put guys. getting the car ready for the 2015 classic and planning to drive it down with a few others from Northern California. Appx 700 miles with a 2332 10.5:1 on pump gas. Hopefully the brm's will be restored in time but either way, no trailer. Cars can be repaired and in my opinion are engineered and built to be driven. Hit the road!
Donny B.

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2014, 18:05:10 pm »

Yeah, a number of years back I drove to Denver from Phoenix.  When we headed to the track it was raining and we passed a stock split window on the road.  That was really cool.  After we parked the car I ran into a guy I had met in Phoenix months  earlier at Competition Engineering.  He had a beautiful car and I wanted to see it again only to be told it was home in his garage.  He wouldn't bring it out in the rain.  Go figure.  I never understood that.  I drove my car everywhere back then and used it daily.  My car isn't that pretty any more but this guys car is probably perfect if he still has it.  I've had my car for 30 years and cherish the memories of many trips across this country.  I think those who don't drive em really miss out on the whole experience. But what do I know...?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2014, 20:10:37 pm »

Very well put guys. getting the car ready for the 2015 classic and planning to drive it down with a few others from Northern California. Appx 700 miles with a 2332 10.5:1 on pump gas. Hopefully the brm's will be restored in time but either way, no trailer. Cars can be repaired and in my opinion are engineered and built to be driven. Hit the road!

Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Duck

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:06 am »

Another "I thought it was just me post" but the interest had dwindled for me over the last few years and put it down to family & work commitments, however, nothing seemed to do it for me in the magazines for a long time (full of the same old bus built over and over again) and a 3 year absence from any shows (that since 1997 had been my holidays every year) left me wondering if my interest had gone completely. I would agree Facebook and even Instagram to a degree allow the sharing of some cars that would have in the past taken time to get through to the mags but at the same time there seems to be a fair amount of bullshit that goes with it (found recently but that's a different story). Unfortunately the eagerness at the first show of the year to check some new cars out has been lost too.
Maybe it's finding your particular interest in the hobby, I seemed to loose momentum with my own big motored looker and after 13 years moved it on. I do however love the history to the cal look scene and some early cars really do it for me so the solution? Just had a 71 Cali import Ghia delivered this morning, real time warp originality (not f###ing rat look), a spot of mild lowering a some old accessories then drive it!

Mark
Sepi

« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2014, 19:54:35 pm »

We all have roots somewhere with these vehicles and I just happened to be born to family who owned VW:s since the beginning of sixties. Early eighties it just happened again that my buddies started to build V8:s and it was maybe closer than an inch that I didn't buy a Ford Fairlane STW to me - but I found a 1952 split. It was a project but quite complete. And I was lucky to use all my savings to get it only back to roads. My dream was to build a plum candy cal looker, but I had a vintage split vindow on my hand. A bit later as a young family we moved abroad for many years and I had a dream to build a looker some day. After having got enough miles with 25 HP and educated my self to be a nit picker with purist VW split enthusiasts, I almost got enough and was really ready to sell my -52 and forget it. But I didn't, actually that pastel green was somehow now a part of me - too many years together.

Then one day when I was coming home from funerals of my brother in love, I found that we actually have a short life here and I didn't want to die before enjoying my life or being one crumpy old fart in a senile house who didn't follow his dreams. So I bought almost like the first possible old VW and started this project. I came to see that this Cal-Look Lounge was a good source to lurk more information and opinions - even I didn't want to make a pure cal-looker anymore.

So I'm very thankfull for you all and after all this jargon above, I'd say that there must be good reasons and dreams to build such a stupid vehicles what we all like - and hate. We might have ups and downs, economical reasons, what ever, but if this bastard VW syndrome is inherited or inborn, we'll be back some day...
richie

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:37 am »

It went very quiet in here again!!!!!   I cant be the only one working on there cars surely?

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
vwhelmot

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:58 am »

Its winter.
karl h

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2015, 09:49:45 am »

It went very quiet in here again!!!!!   I cant be the only one working on there cars surely?
you are not the only one  Grin

RobtheManx

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2015, 09:59:49 am »

Yeah I've been working on my 67 too , it just takes too long uploading and resizing photos on my ancient lap top ! I'll get on it !

Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
richie

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:13 am »

I will re phrase that then

Apart from the people working on 67s is no one else working on their cars   Shocked Cheesy

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »

Apart from the people working on 67s is no one else working on their cars   Shocked Cheesy

Does busses count  Grin
]
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:10:04 pm by j-f » Logged
kb

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »

Working on the 2332. Trying to get 4x Ducati 999R ITB's with shower-injectors matched to the slightly modified heads from Skinne at the moment... Smiley

henk

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2015, 13:08:21 pm »

Apart from the people working on 67s is no one else working on their cars   Shocked Cheesy

Does busses count  Grin
]

same here busy on a bus as well at the momernt.

henk!!!
richie

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2015, 15:17:37 pm »

Does busses count  Grin
]

same here busy on a bus as well at the momernt.

henk!!!

I don't see any reason why they can be In the werks section?  still old aircooled vws  Cool

mg

« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2015, 17:26:38 pm »

Building cars, but more fit for off topic
aircooled 86' M491 911 w 3.2 being restored...
Imsa spec race car nearly complete.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 17:35:04 pm by mg » Logged
henk

« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 11:28:27 am »

here it is.
it is '65 walktrough panel van.
the nice cut out wheel arches are replaced by new metal all ready.
further plans are to do a signwriting on it,something porsche related.
porsche 944 brakes with fuchs are gasburners,not sure on that yet.
some 914 seats with westfalia fabric and vinyl.
engine will be a 1776 with 100 or 110 cam and dual webers.

henk!!!

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 13:25:27 pm »

Nice and look like a solid basis to start Smiley
Jeff68

« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2015, 13:36:02 pm »

Henk! - Nice bus! I'd love to have a bus like that! Sounds like a great project!  Cool
kev d

« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2015, 14:26:29 pm »

Apart from the people working on 67s is no one else working on their cars   Shocked Cheesy

Me Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2015, 14:35:10 pm »

I am... busy cutting up wheel arches on the SCC bus.  Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
henk

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2015, 21:19:40 pm »

thanks,it is a california import so not to much rust problems.

henk!!!
jick

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2015, 22:35:01 pm »

I thought you might be busy rebuilding race engines Richie!
Haha!
 Grin

richie

« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:41 am »

I thought you might be busy rebuilding race engines Richie!
Haha!
 Grin

That's next weeks project, got a few in line waiting inc the new cab engine that I need out the way 1st  Smiley

mg

« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2015, 00:17:33 am »

Does busses count  Grin

this one counts.  Wink
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2016, 17:30:48 pm »

Let us bring this topic back on top again.

I just had a look at the forum stats and I find them interesting:

New posts are down to 1/3 of what they where compared to 2 years ago but at the same time we do not see the same drastic drop in the people logged on/visiting the forum. This goes both for The Lounge and our Norwegian forum. It is obvious that people have enough with updating one forum/network but at the same time it is interesting to read what is going on here on The Lounge.

Keep on posting folks and help us keep the forum alive!

And a happy new year to you all!

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2016, 17:44:39 pm »

Good point!

I think people are posting less on forums has to do with facebook and browsing more on their phone instead of a normal PC. I always find it more trouble to react on a post while on my phone instead of on a regular PC.

But as I purchased a new project car I will be likely to start some new threads Cheesy

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: