The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:27:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 1970 cal look to be
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: My 1970 cal look to be  (Read 32845 times)
Pas Jr

« on: April 06, 2015, 22:13:42 pm »

Hello cal look lounge! Grin My name is Oliver and I'm 18 years old I was directed here by my dad (Pas) who some of you may know. I would like to share with you my '70 beetle who goes by the name of ed.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I bought the car just after my 18th birthday and soon after passing my test back in January and I have been driving it daily to and from college since. The car was very original and only had a few scrapes and some rot on the rear wings. I have plans to make a late looker of the car and will be posting soon with the work I have done so far!
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 22:32:45 pm »

Awesome! I do like the 68-70 model years. I had a 70 in the same colour - best car I ever had. Tickle the front down, lose the bumpers and add some wheels and its sorted! There's a picture of it on leec's thread about rear tyres in the main section.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pas Jr

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 22:59:34 pm »

Awesome! I do like the 68-70 model years. I had a 70 in the same colour - best car I ever had. Tickle the front down, lose the bumpers and add some wheels and its sorted! There's a picture of it on leec's thread about rear tyres in the main section.
Luckily for me my cousin gave me his old 2L alloys with the correct tyres for front and rear for my 18th birthday so I'm all sorted on that front!  Grin
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:56 am »

Welcome to the lounge mate, thought you'd like the rims. There's 2 more under the bench so you'll have a spare, & a spare spare Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:05 am »

Hello Olie. Hope you are ok.  You, like your dad are now on a downward slope. Wink

Before you jump, check the depth.
Good-Old-Ragtop60

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:29:43 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge.
I really like Late Looker. Please post your Progress here.  Smiley

Is that the way you`re planning?
54Kab

Steve Mortimer

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »

-cool car.  I really like that era too. They do drive well. One of my old cars that I had great fun with (back in 1988) ;

---------------------------------------------------------

'Super Sano Street cars' for me, thank you
Pas Jr

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 17:53:10 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge.
I really like Late Looker. Please post your Progress here.  Smiley

Is that the way you`re planning?

That's basically it apart from the T bars will be in black  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 18:06:42 pm »

Since having the car I haven't done much as funds are limited being a student  Cry However the car did come with 6 boxes of service parts and general parts so I have done small bits such as upgrading the headlights and interior light, replacing the exhaust pipes and fitting a blanker plate in the dash. Being an 18 year old having a sound system was one of my first priorities  Grin The car came with some old 70's speakers and a radio however they were too far gone to be used. I opted to fit a hidden system using some kickpanels that came with the car, some jvc 300w speakers and a mini amplifier with an mp3 line.

I wired all of the components through the back of the glovebox and drilled a hole in the ash tray so that the mp3 cord could come through  Grin
Flow

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 18:27:09 pm »

Nice job with the mp3 jack ! That is smart  Cool

Pas

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 20:18:22 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge Ollie, you'll like it here  Cool

Let project Ed commence  Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 20:30:54 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Pas Jr

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 17:36:27 pm »

I had a few hours spare today so I decided to do some work on the car. I replaced the rear light seals as there were some spares in a box that came with the car. I took this photo with the rear light housing off. The difference in colour is awesome!   Shocked

I decided I would also fit the original kick panel carpetting over the speakers and panel I fitted although I only managed the passenger side. Onto the drivers side tomorrow!  Grin

Before

After
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 18:00:01 pm »

I had a few hours spare today so I decided to do some work on the car. I replaced the rear light seals as there were some spares in a box that came with the car. I took this photo with the rear light housing off. The difference in colour is awesome!   Shocked

I decided I would also fit the original kick panel carpetting over the speakers and panel I fitted although I only managed the passenger side. Onto the drivers side tomorrow!  Grin

Before

After
Do you want a career change Ollie?  Wink

Before you jump, check the depth.
Pas Jr

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 18:02:54 pm »

Before

After
Do you want a career change Ollie?  Wink
If you're offering bernie  Grin
fat duk

O/FF 68

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »

Welcome aboard Ollie, I can confirm that ed drives nice as we had a cruise around the block the other day!! keep up the good work Ollie I cant wait for you to go uni so me and your dad can take ed cruising  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 12:46:38 pm »

Welcome aboard Ollie, I can confirm that ed drives nice as we had a cruise around the block the other day!! keep up the good work Ollie I cant wait for you to go uni so me and your dad can take ed cruising  Grin
As long as you keep the car running and dry I'm happy as larry  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »

This morning I continued work on the kick panel capetting. I fitted the carpet over the drivers side kick panel and patched up a small tear that ran along the heater channel

Before

After

Now both panels are covered and look much more appealing than the black plastic beneath  Grin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 20:03:11 pm by Pas Jr » Logged
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:05:50 am »

Cool car Pas jr!

Pas Jr

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 15:41:22 pm »

I went to a small classic car show today and got a couple of pictures of the car Smiley

Also I have ordered drop spindles and a tacho so hopefully there will be some work done soon!  Grin
Pas

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 19:48:53 pm »

That nose needs to come down   Wink

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Pas Jr

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 21:32:26 pm »

OK small update my tacho and dash panels came through the other day and they look pretty good!

However It's not all good news I got into a knock with a 4x4 which resulted in me losing my front bumper and both front wings in need of replacing  Cry But the front valance is fine and theres no damage to the A-posts or steering so every cloud has a silver lining I suppose
Good-Old-Ragtop60

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 09:33:00 am »

That looks very good.

Thats sad! I hope you can use the money from the insurance to repair your bug soon.  Undecided
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 22:06:13 pm »

That's a shame Olly. Try to either find original steel wings - dont go for the repro ones - or good quality fibreglass like Day Mouldings.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pas Jr

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 10:06:56 am »

That's a shame Olly. Try to either fin
d original steel wings - dont go for the repro ones - or good quality fibreglass like Day Mouldings.
Yeah it sucks  Undecided Im on the search for some genuine steel wings but no luck yet
kev d

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 20:21:47 pm »

That's a cool old bug Cool
You need to ask around for a good deal on a pair of dropped spindles though... Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Neil Davies

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 07:00:23 am »

d original steel wings - dont go for the repro ones - or good quality fibreglass like Day Mouldings.
Yeah it sucks  Undecided Im on the search for some genuine steel wings but no luck yet

Olly, a friend of mine has got some genuine wings. He's also called Neil - email is boatyardbuses@aol.com and he has adverts on thesamba under the username jonesy. Give him a shout and see what he's got!

Pas Jr

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 13:11:34 pm »

That's a cool old bug Cool
You need to ask around for a good deal on a pair of dropped spindles though... Wink
I managed to get a pair off of machine 7  Grin
Pas Jr

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 16:53:22 pm »

Olly, a friend of mine has got some genuine wings. He's also called Neil - email is boatyardbuses@aol.com and he has adverts on thesamba under the username jonesy. Give him a shout and see what he's got!
Cheers neil I've sent him an email  Cheesy
Pas Jr

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 15:06:26 pm »

OK small update. After my little knock I've been on the hunt for some wings I've managed to get myself some genuine steel ones  Grin (big thanks to Neil Davies). Also I fitted the tacho to the car and also put a matching temperature gauge in. However it isn't wired up yet and the bezel is a bit beaten up but for £10 I couldn't say no!  Smiley

I changed the bulbs in the gauges for some white LED's and they look cool at night!  Grin

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 20:38:55 pm »

You can make the bezel look almost like new again by rolling a round handled screwdriver handle around the rim , without squashing the square lip if it has one.
Some light W/D 400 then 800 to smooth off the lip or edge works well, and then to make it all one colour obviously there is new paint, but a cheats way is to use a black permanent marker to colour it in.
 Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: