The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:28:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  EBI#7 2017 who´s going?:-)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EBI#7 2017 who´s going?:-)  (Read 17013 times)

« on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:48 am »

Now when #6 is over I again use this opportunity to start pre-#7 discussion :-) Maybe we can give some feedback to organisation team to make this event even better? For me #6 was almost flawless, the burnout arena seemed to be more silent then in previous years, drag racing was fine to look at although I missed some of the old cars, and as in previous years I completely missed on the slalom racing but that´s my problem as I did not reach the area. Also spent some unexpected cash on the market as always:-) Mad props to the guys on the race track for the show and Dyno Don for making it great experience again!

I´d love to have a possibility to wash hands in each camp near the toilets next year and there were long waiting times for the showers in rush hours.

I loved the music stages on friday, it seemed to be a bit tired on Saturday.

I managed to bring 25 participants from the Czech Republic and will try to bring more next time.

Oh and I got a sun tan this year!

Thanks and see you in two years!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 15:02:24 pm by 181 » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 13:09:47 pm »

will be there for sure 

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
richie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 16:58:23 pm »

I loved the music stages on friday,

And that is why I wont be going, it has no place at anything related to Bug in, if they want a VW festival then change the name to something that doesn't tarnish the Bug in's of old Roll Eyes

Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 17:19:53 pm »

It was good, but the years before I found better. Dyno has made good mood but sometimes no race cars.
Dyno says racing cars to the lane and no cars come. Otto Bros Tent and racing was great.
A lot of cool Bugs and busses. Hope to see @ EBI 7 again more atmospheric, more racing, more old gasser.
Just my opinion

henk

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 00:00:04 am »

true the racing was a it less this years,and other years where a bit better.
but i think they made a hug improvement with the new big camping.
so i will be there as well next time.

henk!!!
fastfred

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:23:08 am »

I'm going for sure ...  Wink

FREDDYFILES 2012 on MARCH 11th !
Russell

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:23:14 am »

I loved the music stages on friday,

SO WRONG, this not what European Bug in should be, its meant to be a Nostalgia event based on the legendary Bug In from America, there is meant to be Gasses, Racing, Slalom, Miss Bug In, Show Cars, Car Clubs, Off Roading and a great Atmosphere, not drunk, dancing and low class thrills....

Please read below taken from EBI web site.

THE CONCEPT : The Original Bug-In saga started way back in 1968 on the American West Coast and it quickly grew into THE major VW event that lasted for just 15 years... Today the Bug-In name has a legendary status. And now, for the fifth time, this show concept lands on Belgian soil under the EUROPEAN BUG-IN flag! This event was conceived with the approval and support of Richard Kimball, one of the original Californian Bug-In Promotors.

WHERE : The Fifth European BUG-IN will be held at CHIMAY in Belgium, at just a few kilometers from the French border. Chimay is a well know little town famous for its Monk Beer brewery and the legendary almost 90 year old Racetrack. This spot will allow all european passionate Volkswagen enthusiasts to relive the original Bug-In vibe but this time closer to home in its European version.

That is why the last 5 bugs in have grown and had so many good points however the cliental as it gets larger the concept weakens and the greater get what they want and the lessor "passionate Volkswagen enthusiasts" get less.... IMHO EBI is and has turned into a festival and is being led my money first not buy the Nostalgia values that were there in the beginning. Don't get me wrong I know that the EBI guys have put loads of effort and time to gown the show and to make it a viable concern and no-one can disagree with this, however as an ex sponsor, whom believe we helped make a difference, could only take people with bottles of beer and lit cigarette's walking between race cars and race fuel during racing, We had to have someone stay with the cars overnight to ensure nothing was stolen, yet every year our flags, banners and signs were stolen and I'm sure not by the "passionate Volkswagen enthusiasts".

In my topic for pictures, I asked for photos to see what I missed, what I have seen is some sexy type girls and an empi tent.....  wheres the cars, the clubs the fun...... the pictures

I will not say I wont be back because there is a time and place for shows like Bug, Jam, VW Action, SPA and now EBI, but I would love to see EBI back on track and heading down the road that we "passionate Volkswagen enthusiasts" desire..... please

Success it not based on numbers, unless your racing !

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
fastfred

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:08 am »

I am so sorry Russel, i did not have time to take pictures for you, nor do i have the time to post them here so you can have an easy look at them. If you're interested in what happened there in Chimay when you were not there, maybe you should have come yourself to see what was going on, and maybe, you should have taken some pictures for yourself.

If you want to look further ... there are TONS of pictures of cars on european bug in 6 on Facebook and i'd guess on other forums ... i cannot take responsability of the posted pictures of other people, and i surely cannot be responsable of what you think of this event on the basis of some pictures that you saw here on the forum.

you guys have my phonenumber, i am open to any conversation, i will be happy to discuss this with any of you straight on the Phone ...

thank you, aloha,
lots of positive vibes,
ffred

FREDDYFILES 2012 on MARCH 11th !

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:53 am »

Thanks, and that´s why this topic is here. Somebody who know organisers personally please steer them here so they can learn and think.

I´m only a regular visitor and "consumer", attended EBI 4, EBI 5 and EBI . I personally think good music performances goes along with the car passion but  and in every case I take earplugs for all meetings I attend. I use them for long distance travelling in noisy car OR for sleeping so I don´t care about the rush at night. Choice of music for the crowd to listen/dance is complicated as this is highly individual thing.

I spent almost two days sitting on my camping chair at the track just watching and listening, so it worked for me.

If EBI can be bettter, let´s try to contribute and change things.  

Russell

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:53 pm »

I am so sorry Russel, i did not have time to take pictures for you, nor do i have the time to post them here so you can have an easy look at them. If you're interested in what happened there in Chimay when you were not there, maybe you should have come yourself to see what was going on, and maybe, you should have taken some pictures for yourself.

If you want to look further ... there are TONS of pictures of cars on european bug in 6 on Facebook and i'd guess on other forums ... i cannot take responsability of the posted pictures of other people, and i surely cannot be responsable of what you think of this event on the basis of some pictures that you saw here on the forum.

you guys have my phonenumber, i am open to any conversation, i will be happy to discuss this with any of you straight on the Phone ...

thank you, aloha,
lots of positive vibes,
ffred

Freddie, happy to call you, but you have told me at Bobs what you think, so no problem there.

As for pictures I wasn't expecting the organisers (you) to post pictures, more the visitors that would have had time to take it all in, in all the years I have attended I hardly ever got photos of my own as I was too busy, I do rely on some of the regulars to post pictures (Fabs, etc) to capture the moment, anyway my photos skills are crap.

As for Facebook, you need to have many friends to do that and I don't !!!!

And to be honest my opinion of your event is as always, its a great big event that is changing and growing to its clients expectations, You are responsible as an organiser along with everyone that attends; its the people that make the events, if the majority like "type A" then so be it, I live in democratic world and I rightly or wrongly voted with my feet. This doesn't take away from the positiveness of all the good parts and my general interest as a passionate Volkswagen enthusiast.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 23:17:03 pm »

I love the Otto Bros's cars, but surely there were other cars there and other things going on?
All I have seen on facebook is cool pictures of Otto Bros contribution to the event.

Bring on the pictures from the event so we can see what happened and what was there :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 13:14:56 pm »

I almost didn't go, a lot of people i knew dropped out, but I had my ticket and luckily I have friends in Europe.

The show was better than previous years in all areas except the racing.  This was poor.

Otto bros tried their best but Russell was missed.  His cars, different drivers, the yanks getting a buz.  Did I miss any of the old timers going down the track this year?  I don't recall the likes of the DV or KS trying to race each other.

I had a good time due to friends.  If they were not there it would be a waste of a 500 mile round trip.  Franks car broke, Ollies car broke.  this meant no gassers!

I am sorry but Otto Bros cars do not count as gassers, various shades of the same replica  car.

I know i didn't help, driving to the show in a Volvo, but my engine is on a stand in the garage and not ready.

Hopefully in two years a few words will be exchanged, and the racing can match the rest of the show.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 15:04:43 pm »

I don't recall the likes of the DV or KS trying to race each other.
My name wasn't on the 'important people list' so i didn't get asked...  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 18:00:54 pm »

Give me a meeting where racing is in focus and where I can talk racing and share knowledge with fellow racers. A meeting where I meet friends with the same interest. Where I can lay my tool down without loosing them overnight. Where I can leave my battery charger charging without anyone tripping over it. Where I can smell fresh air and perhaps a little track bite and not weed. Where the car and the hobby is in focus and not the party or the VIP's and I will bring my old ass over. Until then - enjoy.

-BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 18:01:16 pm »

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Flow

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 18:50:13 pm »

Give me a meeting where racing is in focus and where I can talk racing and share knowledge with fellow racers. A meeting where I meet friends with the same interest. Where I can lay my tool down without loosing them overnight. Where I can leave my battery charger charging without anyone tripping over it. Where I can smell fresh air and perhaps a little track bite and not weed. Where the car and the hobby is in focus and not the party or the VIP's and I will bring my old ass over. Until then - enjoy.

-BB

This is what the Das Drag Day is for...  Roll Eyes

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 14:19:15 pm »

I as an ordinary visitor "think" that maybe closing the area of pits for public traffic would be something to think about. Some racers bring a lot of precious and expensive tools. As a visitor I would sacrifice the visit to the pits for improved experience on the track. Racers bring fun to the visitors and in exchange I believe that they deserve some privacy and safety  Huh And I can still watch the pits from the area from behind the crash barriers.  Maybe some kind of organised "guided" tours to the pits is an opportunity for organisers to make some extra? Imagine what and how much is needed to get into pits on regular race event Shocked

On the other side, I think that a large group of the normal visitors also pay up and allow for track prep, track marchals, timekeeper etc etc. so....  both groups should coexist as much as possible ( and I´m an idealist).  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:35:51 am by 181 » Logged
Ninho/DKM

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 01:35:04 am »

Too much people in the starting lane area, people in slippers with hands in pockets that should got better watching the show with the crowd out of the track. They were not racers or organizers. Just hanging there around with beer During burnouts and taking pictures or selfies around starting cars, Just because they were friends of friends of vips people and got vips bracelets without couse. Racers loss? I had 3000km round trip to get there, spent a lot of money in gasoline, hightway, hotel and for racing ticket too just to watch those hangers taking selfies eachother in vip area. Real show were race and i think racers should get more attention at least from organizers. Less beer slippery friend hangers with wives takin' sefies and more racers attentions. Track was not prepared, no grip at all. My bug is not so performer but how could you call it dragrace if you have no grip? That was clear and dimostrated, No racers no show, no show no ebi. There were more than a situation people in the crowd spent time watching all tose hangers in the starting area and no cars lauching so Dyno had to call us from pit lane .....i was there, had just parked my car and gone to see how it looks like from the crowd, that was riduculus and extremely dangerous. Ebi Organizers should change their minds and take care changing some bad habits. I truly love EBI show and i will go next times whenever my fouds will permit it, i was there since ebi1 and than raced in ebi4 too but something is going wrong in there and someone have to get back on track ebi future or it will going to be sad.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:07:06 am by Ninho/DKM » Logged

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 00:15:33 am »

1year to go..
HangarZ_Matt

Manic Mechanic

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 19:42:54 pm »

Definitely going!

Hangarz
Brother Madness Drag Race Team
Phil13

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 08:50:36 am »

I´m going.

Greetz from Austria
Urbantoy

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 17:19:58 pm »

Hello My Friends from England, Norway and all over the World.
I will gladly inform You all that SirkusVinlandia will be again at EBI#7. So far 10 cars to HO and most of those to EBI (one o European greatest show)

Looking forward to meet all You with Chimay candy again.. Our route to Chimay will be following:
First inside Finland:
https://www.google.fi/maps/dir/90440+Kempele/Helsinki/@62.4695131,21.04061,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4681cb87d540508f:0xac4b6b5c84a9b24!2m2!1d25.5034842!2d64.9129283!1m5!1m1!1s0x46920bc796210691:0xcd4ebd843be2f763!2m2!1d24.938379!2d60.1698557

Then in Europe after Helsinki-Travemunde ferry:
https://www.google.fi/maps/dir/Travem%C3%BCnde,+L%C3%BCbeck,+Saksa/Hessisch+Oldendorf,+Saksa/Stuttgart,+Saksa/Schallbach,+Saksa/Chimay,+Belgia/Travem%C3%BCnde,+L%C3%BCbeck,+Saksa/@50.7074162,3.1020393,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ad8ac164224bcf:0x35fa54a19dd080ad!2m2!1d10.8535751!2d53.9600008!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ba87dd8d664abd:0x9b8a96c9b17db763!2m2!1d9.2459403!2d52.1715493!1m5!1m1!1s0x4799db34c1ad8fd3:0x79d5c11c7791cfe4!2m2!1d9.1829321!2d48.7758459!1m5!1m1!1s0x4791bac5ef323cf9:0x41f6bb7a5df9c20!2m2!1d7.6263449!2d47.6556423!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c205ba65f6f361:0xbf7fb84c56b9cd57!2m2!1d4.31472!2d50.04756!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ad8ac164224bcf:0x35fa54a19dd080ad!2m2!1d10.8535751!2d53.9600008!3e0

Br,
 NudeBusClubFinland.

PS. FFed -> Cup is coming to You :-)

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:03 am »

Ron and I will be there – be warned... Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
uk ida

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »

I'm going! Can't wait,  fantastic memories of all of them, yes I've been to all 6 so far and have seen the changes over the years, I can see Russels point, im personally all about the cars and aircooled performance,  I have no interest in the party/music side of ebi, so I well, don't do that bit. I've been vip and track side in previous years,  ( and drank beer with most of you guys) yes raceing was not as busy as other year's,  security of high value cars is a problem at any show now adays unfortunately.  I hardly go to any large vw shows in the UK, anymore , as thay all have a festival feel to them,, I guess I'm getting old.

Bring on edi 7,  and dyno Don,  ( and some chimay beer) B-)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 13:03:18 pm by uk ida » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: