The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 18:23:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules  (Read 43294 times)
WPS

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 12:41:42 pm »

Sounds like fun....count me in.

Wolfsburg Performance Services

WolfsburgPerformance.co.uk

Instagram:  wpsengines

07880-311850.
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 12:52:30 pm »

I think this is a great idea particularly in terms of the drive out.  Firstly to prove the cars are street cars (don’t start!), but more importantly for a bit of fun and to add a new element to a VW show which at least in the UK has not been done before.
In years gone by it was far more common to see a few ACVW’s rolling around but not any more, so a trip into town to the local town for a burger or similar with a load of other hot ACVW’s sounds like a lot of fun.

As several have suggested above the emphasis should be on the fun whilst racing too. I think any rules  should be sufficiently open to encourage participation. What we don’t want is the proper street cars, which are inevitably slower put off by the race car / street cars.
The reality is that there will be such a range of ‘street’ car combinations running on, radials, DOT’s, slicks for example, not to mention fan belts, stingers, turbo’s, NoS and engine size etc we could not hope to make a competitive race class of it.

If anything I think we could just pair up similar speed cars for a fun close race and whoever wins any given race gets bragging rights for that race and have a rematch if you fancy one.

I'm not at all convinced its necessary but there could be leader board based on times to confirm where we all are in the overall scheme of things, and if you want, there could be two leader boards one for the proper street cars and one for the race car street cars (I’ll leave you all to decide if that is necessary or desirable or not), but the reality is no matter how many classes / lists you have it would all be fairly meaningless given the variety of cars and setup.

Any leader board if adopted should just be a talking point over a beer and burger in the evening, no prizes necessary.

If you are faster than me on the board I’ll just blame my small engine, fan belt, tires or whatever it is that you have and I haven’t and I would expect people to make similar excuses if I’m faster than them!  Hopefully that can be the same for everyone and just make for a bit of fun and piss taking over the barbeque.

Having said all that if we do need any classes at all I would suggest we have one for blue 61 sedans driven by a bloke’s called Pete so I win. Particularly if there is a prize like a nice cup of tea, oh and perhaps a cake from Jo. 

Peter

Totally agree with you. All for a bit of fun and getting cars out on the strip/street.
The class A. B thing is the easiest and just post up your time to see how you faired against everyone else. I'll be up for this. Cruise could be done in the late afternoon/early evening perhaps to make the most of the track time that's available.
leec

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 13:12:43 pm »

I'm guessing in the bug and not the 850? Grin
steve_pugh

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 13:18:02 pm »

I love the idea of this.     My car is properly a street car and still has all seats and seatbelts in the back (for the kids).
I do however, drive about everywhere with a stinger on.   So would this count if I leave the stinger on for the cruise and then race under "As driven on the street" spec?

richie

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 14:48:44 pm »

I love the idea of this.     My car is properly a street car and still has all seats and seatbelts in the back (for the kids).
I do however, drive about everywhere with a stinger on.   So would this count if I leave the stinger on for the cruise and then race under "As driven on the street" spec?

Steve

how do you get mot with stinger on? If its legal then yep I cant see a problem, would have thought the noise and nothing protruding past bumper would get you though?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 14:51:15 pm »

Totally agree with you. All for a bit of fun and getting cars out on the strip/street.
The class A. B thing is the easiest and just post up your time to see how you faired against everyone else. I'll be up for this. Cruise could be done in the late afternoon/early evening perhaps to make the most of the track time that's available.

Rich

I am thinking leave within 30mins of track closing on Saturday afternoon/evening, you have done this type thing with street eliminator, is that enough time to get everyone ready?

Was hoping it would appeal to you Wink

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 14:52:06 pm »

Good man, we know you bring something entertaining to watch Shocked Grin

leec

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 15:23:57 pm »

Might get the passenger seat back in as well Smiley
Richie, would a cruise to a burger place/takeaway be an option?
stretch

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 15:28:44 pm »

Gives me 6 months to get my shit together.  Count me in !!

I'm sure Dude & Graham will be up for this as well.
steve_pugh

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 15:34:19 pm »

Steve

how do you get mot with stinger on? If its legal then yep I cant see a problem, would have thought the noise and nothing protruding past bumper would get you though?

cheers Richie

I slip in one of those baffles.     To be fair tho' the Protruding issue should be a fail.   I don't have any bumpers tho' and even if I got a Mondo style muffler, the u-bend protrudes past the body anyway...     catch 22.   

Only answer appears to be a sidewinder I think...

richie

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 15:35:31 pm »

Might get the passenger seat back in as well Smiley
Richie, would a cruise to a burger place/takeaway be an option?

Got an idea if its at Pod with plenty of parking, but what we don't want is to be sitting around waiting while someone waits for there food and everyone else is ready to leave

I think all the cars should have a passenger seat in but I am not planning on it being a requirement Smiley

richie

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 15:38:04 pm »

Awesome be good to see it back out again and Neil [I know he likes me calling him that  Grin ] and Graham's cars are 2 more perfect cars for "real street"  Smiley

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 15:42:58 pm »

Steve

cheers Richie

I slip in one of those baffles.     To be fair tho' the Protruding issue should be a fail.   I don't have any bumpers tho' and even if I got a Mondo style muffler, the u-bend protrudes past the body anyway...     catch 22.   

From my experience even without bumpers the law seems to be ok if it would fit inside them if they were there or just not taking the piss Wink Am sure you could come up with a lightweight bumper if you had to ?  If you are going to run it on street and race it with baffle in then that's ok with me, I think everyone should have a muffler of some sort just to keep in spirit of it Smiley
Unless anyone else has a problem you running it like that you are good  Smiley  but a proper exhaust would be better Wink

steve_pugh

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 15:47:08 pm »

Steve

cheers Richie

From my experience even without bumpers the law seems to be ok if it would fit inside them if they were there or just not taking the piss Wink Am sure you could come up with a lightweight bumper if you had to ?  If you are going to run it on street and race it with baffle in then that's ok with me, I think everyone should have a muffler of some sort just to keep in spirit of it Smiley
Unless anyone else has a problem you running it like that you are good  Smiley  but a proper exhaust would be better Wink

Yes you are probably right.   Just hasn't been top priority.   :-)  I've hit my OWN shins a fair few times, so probably not the best for the street. :-)

Got an idea if its at Pod with plenty of parking, but what we don't want is to be sitting around waiting while someone waits for there food and everyone else is ready to leave

I think all the cars should have a passenger seat in but I am not planning on it being a requirement Smiley

Rear seats too?   Grin

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 15:55:06 pm »

Awesome be good to see it back out again and Neil [I know he likes me calling him that  Grin ] and Graham's cars are 2 more perfect cars for "real street"  Smiley

cheers Richie

I deffo be up for this, count me in Richard.  Tongue

At the moment (and I'll probably change my mind as I want to go faster), but I really like running my car as a street car, belt on, pump gas (probably optimax), treaded tyres, and street legal exhaust.

Neil (or Dude  Cool )

stretch

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 16:52:31 pm »

I deffo be up for this, count me in Richard.  Tongue

At the moment (and I'll probably change my mind as I want to go faster), but I really like running my car as a street car, belt on, pump gas (probably optimax), treaded tyres, and street legal exhaust.

Neil (or Dude  Cool )
[/quote]

I don't think either of us will be in the real street class Dude (or Neil Wink ) as we both run DOT's.

I don't care.  I've got no desire to "win" anyway, but, i'm definitely gonna be there to take part.  This sounds like the best weekend race weekend of the year is going to get even better.

In fact thinking about it, I think we should all just run in 1 class, no rules.  I'd happily run against the quickest cars sometimes it's great going as fast as you can (and scaring yourself in the process) and then looking up & seeing the lunatic in the other lane going 3 seconds quicker & 30mph faster than you.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 16:54:16 pm by stretch » Logged
richie

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 17:38:45 pm »

I deffo be up for this, count me in Richard.  Tongue

Neil (or Dude  Cool )

I don't think either of us will be in the real street class Dude (or Neil Wink ) as we both run DOT's.

I don't care.  I've got no desire to "win" anyway, but, i'm definitely gonna be there to take part.  This sounds like the best weekend race weekend of the year is going to get even better.

In fact thinking about it, I think we should all just run in 1 class, no rules.  I'd happily run against the quickest cars sometimes it's great going as fast as you can (and scaring yourself in the process) and then looking up & seeing the lunatic in the other lane going 3 seconds quicker & 30mph faster than you.  Wink
[/quote]

Stretch

I am  thinking DOTs will be allowed, reason being they are legal in a lot of countries in Europe and we want to encourage as many people to bring cars from all over and join in as possible so we shouldn't prejudice against them if we can help it. Oh and Neil promised me 1st dibs on his gasburners if DOTs are ok Shocked Wink Cheesy   

Two classes should actually make it simpler to keep control of when at track, in theory the "real street" cars should be able to run whenever but the others will need time between runs to get stuff done and I think from spectator point of view seeing comparable cars going down track is more enjoyable ?

Thoughts?

cheers Richard Grin

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 17:44:27 pm »

Oh and Neil promised me 1st dibs on his gasburners if DOTs are ok Shocked Wink Cheesy

Yep, and Richie's also accepted my offer of 2k for the cab delivered to Wales!!   Grin

Dude  Cool

Happychappy

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 17:55:08 pm »

I'm in, sounds great to me!  Just waiting for the gearbox to be fixed.
richie

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 18:08:42 pm »

Oh and Neil promised me 1st dibs on his gasburners if DOTs are ok Shocked Wink Cheesy

Yep, and Richie's also accepted my offer of 2k for the cab delivered to Wales!!   Grin

Dude  Cool

New one? I am not sure it would make it driving it all that way?  or me either Cheesy

richie

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 18:09:20 pm »

Cool  Time to start chasing?

Happychappy

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 18:35:41 pm »

Cool  Time to start chasing?

Yep calling tomorrow!  ;-)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 19:26:29 pm »

Ah, the good old 'what's a street car' deal!  Grin

To work, it needs to be easily policed – OK, you may piss off some people but tough on them.

I've never quite understood why there's so much debate over what determines a street car. Easy: MOT (a proper one), street-legal tyres (you're running in the UK, so DOTs are not legal), no race gas (not legal to use on the street because taxes haven't been paid – same as folk using 'red' diesel in their cars is illegal) and no stingers (no matter how lenient your local MOT station might be, they are not legal in any shape or form). On the cruise, everyone has to fill up with unleaded at the same petrol station, and then their tank is sealed (taped up with the signature of an observer on the tape is sufficient) so they can't drain it overnight... and then race with that tank of petrol. Your car can't run on ordinary unleaded? Too bad. You'll have to run in the unlimited class – which is for cars which aren't street legal in the form in which they are racing.

I'll just go back to my beer.  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Chip

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 20:10:49 pm »

I really liked cruising in Vegas at night. Can't just have headlights stuck in the buckets, but they actually have to work.
steve_pugh

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 20:38:10 pm »

To work, it needs to be easily policed – OK, you may piss off some people but tough on them.

I've never quite understood why there's so much debate over what determines a street car. Easy: MOT (a proper one), street-legal tyres (you're running in the UK, so DOTs are not legal), no race gas (not legal to use on the street because taxes haven't been paid – same as folk using 'red' diesel in their cars is illegal) and no stingers (no matter how lenient your local MOT station might be, they are not legal in any shape or form). On the cruise, everyone has to fill up with unleaded at the same petrol station, and then their tank is sealed (taped up with the signature of an observer on the tape is sufficient) so they can't drain it overnight... and then race with that tank of petrol. Your car can't run on ordinary unleaded? Too bad. You'll have to run in the unlimited class – which is for cars which aren't street legal in the form in which they are racing.

I agree with all of this.    I comply with all bar the stinger so will just have to get / borrow a mondo. :-)

leec

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 20:42:19 pm »

Get a proper muffler, not a mondo Smiley
steve_pugh

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 20:55:09 pm »

Get a proper muffler, not a mondo Smiley

I don't know what's a mondo or a "phat boy".
What is a proper muffler?   Grin
It literally has had a stinger from day one.   

richie

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 21:13:21 pm »

I have often been told people shouldn't post on internet during or after alcohol, I see why now Tongue  

I don't think anyone is disputing what a street car is, more trying to get a really basic set of rules that allows as many to participate as possible without pissing to many off.

cheers Richie

stretch

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 21:46:09 pm »

I'll run in either class, I'm not bothered.  The cruise should be great fun, so should the racing.   Smiley
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 21:58:06 pm »

Would like to participate, cruise should be fun

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: