The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:06:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  and now 80's cal look type 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: and now 80's cal look type 3  (Read 60926 times)
Speed-Randy

« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2010, 03:50:22 am »

I ca tell you that the bottom of danny's car was as clean as the top side
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:01:34 am by vdubdweeb » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2010, 04:19:57 am »

Only if I can keep ya awake! Dam that was along time ago. Randy stayed up all night helping me put the notch together, Well (TRYED) to stay up all night! Fricken long day and long night and then Short day trying to put a fricken vw together.Kinda funny story, Was looking for him, Found Randy,Under the notch, With rag in hand, Sleeping! Great friends and great times.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Flow

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2010, 16:39:07 pm »

Pics by Benou67

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2010, 16:50:50 pm »

flow it's not very 80's and cal look  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2011, 01:34:08 am »

Sander/DVK

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2011, 19:18:30 pm »

This is a great period looking car for me.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 19:20:16 pm by Sander/DVK » Logged

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2011, 08:40:27 am »

Nice car!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Ben67

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 07:12:07 am »

There was a kid (weren't we all) in El Monte named Nicky who had an early Notchback.  1984 or 1985...........REALLY red with a 2180 built at B & B German Auto (Jim Behrens and Dave Barnes).  Fast car with a lot of street cred in the valley.  He would race just about anybody.  Never made it to a magazine, that I recall, but a real clean car.  I'll try to dig up a picture..........

Then there was a Turbo Notch in Velvet Green that attended the Type 3 Day events.......had four lug Mahles and was pretty clean as well.  Never saw that one have a go, though.  

Let's not forget Danny Gabbard's car either.  Right there alongside Jim Moore's for quality.

Dave.. I remember that Guy/car. When was in high school that guy would cruise Whittier Blvd in Montebello/Pico.  Car sounded meaner than anyhing i ever heard at the time.

Der Kleiner Panzers        http://pursang356.blogspot.com/

"champagne taste...beer money"
Georg/DFL

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 18:13:24 pm »

First of all: The topic is "80s cal look type 3", isn't it? So please STICK WITH IT!

@Sander: When Fabian started this thread I thought about that very car. "Red Religion", as it was named by the owner Leon van Laarhoven, was a milestone car in the european VW scene for sure.
At that time there weren't too many modified Type 3s and Leon's car has won numerous shows like VW Euro (NL), Super VW Nationals (F), Bug Jam (GB) and VW Forum (GER). It was also featured in VW Scene and in Volksworld.

I wondered what might have happened to it and then, last weekend, I saw it again. It was displayed at the Kever Winter Festjin in Holland last weekend and I had the possibility to talk to Leon. It was a nice trip down memory lane.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:03:01 am by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Sander/DVK

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 20:15:31 pm »

Hi Georg, now that is a coinsendence  Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 21:28:55 pm »

Late 80's or early 90's i spotted a Notch and Ghia on several meetings. Both Silver with Orange racing stripe. I think Swiss license plates. That pair was awesome. Pics anyone ? I lost all mine.

Done ? Not Yet.
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 22:02:47 pm »

There was a kid (weren't we all) in El Monte named Nicky who had an early Notchback.  1984 or 1985...........REALLY red with a 2180 built at B & B German Auto (Jim Behrens and Dave Barnes).  Fast car with a lot of street cred in the valley.  He would race just about anybody.  Never made it to a magazine, that I recall, but a real clean car.  I'll try to dig up a picture..........

Then there was a Turbo Notch in Velvet Green that attended the Type 3 Day events.......had four lug Mahles and was pretty clean as well.  Never saw that one have a go, though.  

Let's not forget Danny Gabbard's car either.  Right there alongside Jim Moore's for quality.

Dave.. I remember that Guy/car. When was in high school that guy would cruise Whittier Blvd in Montebello/Pico.  Car sounded meaner than anyhing i ever heard at the time.

I also remember that Red notch, We were going to street race one night. He had a little blonde girl friend, that she was so proud off. the car.  I asked her who was the owner of the car. ( Tall blonde kid ) She said that my boyfriends car.. Cheesy I told him okay, lets line up.
But he wanted to see my motor first.  Just as I pointed out my car. some knuckle head kid jumped out back of a truck with a rifle. and all Hell broke lose. Shocked Shocked  We split the area, never to return. There was a mutual friend of ours named Wolfer ( Wolf Towing Co )  he tried to get us to re-raced but never happen?

Der Kleiner Panzers
Dave Galassi

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2011, 18:24:20 pm »

What a story Art!   Yeah, Nicky wrote more than a few checks to B & B.........or his mom did.  I think she thought it was cheaper than rehab.

I have a hangar at a local airport right across from Jim Behrens, who built Nicky's engine and trans.  I see him quite often.  He's still portin' and buildin', just mostly for the sand crowd.  I'll ask what Nicky's Notch had inside the case........

Rifle.  Wow.  Where was that?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 22:14:55 pm by Dave Galassi » Logged
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2011, 18:47:03 pm »

What a story Art!   Yeah, Nicky wrote more than a few checks to B & B.........or his mom did.  I think she thought it was cheaper than rehab.

I have a hangar at a local airport right across from Jim Behrens.  I see him quite often.  He's still portin' and buildin', just mostly for the sand crowd.  He did still, however, do Hector's heads..........  I'll ask what it had inside the case........

I would like to believe it was San Gabriel area?..There was a hot spot there at a local super market parking lot.  The rifle thing was some local gang members up to no good!

Good times..

Der Kleiner Panzers
Georg/DFL

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2011, 19:11:59 pm »

How about this one?

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That car blew us away in 1990! It belonged to Svein Erik Olsen from Norway. Is it still around? Does any of our Norwegian friends know what happend to it?
Fabian, I thought you will show some of the cool european stuff as well? Or were you to young back then and you can't remember those cars?  Wink
This '66 notch was the bomb!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2011, 19:13:46 pm »

i remember too the red fasty and that flashy notch those were  into super vw mag too , when i've time i will scan those

fabs

Dave Galassi

« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2011, 20:37:42 pm »

I have a hangar at a local airport right across from Jim Behrens.  I see him quite often.  He's still portin' and buildin', just mostly for the sand crowd.  He did still, however, do Hector's heads..........  I'll ask what it had inside the case........

I would like to believe it was San Gabriel area?..There was a hot spot there at a local super market parking lot.  The rifle thing was some local gang members up to no good!

Good times..

The Ralphs on Valley?  The San Gabriel Valley was his haunt.  I went to his house a few times trading parts.  Each time he was cleaning it.  Never saw him wrench on it, though.  I never saw the car at New York, one of the unofficial dragstrips here, but I did see him a number of times at Burger King on Live Oak and Santa Anita.  That's where the real deal showed up, many times on trailers.  Cash was king.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2011, 20:53:51 pm »

Mr. Galassi ! I think you need to post some pictures of the nicest NOS notch, Car was bitchen!!!!

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2011, 21:05:23 pm »

Mr. Galassi ! I think you need to post some pictures of the nicest NOS notch, Car was bitchen!!!!

X2

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2011, 19:16:25 pm »

i do it for dave  Grin Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2011, 19:17:47 pm »

Wink

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2011, 20:12:15 pm »

For those that never got to see car up close, It was VERY nice. Well like all of daves cars !!

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2011, 20:54:35 pm »

i saw that squareback this year at le bug show meeting and when i see it ,it remind me dave's notch especially the wheels i not a big fan of that kind of wheels but those one fit well on the car
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 14:59:28 pm by speedwell » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2011, 22:08:01 pm »

Some reason those wheels work good on type 3s

Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2011, 22:30:20 pm »

Wink
Remember when I saw this notch the first time in a mag, that was it have been a T3 guy since  Smiley Is the car still around?

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
Rustbuster

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2011, 00:09:26 am »

How about this one?

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That car blew us away in 1990! It belonged to Svein Erik Olsen from Norway. Is it still around? Does any of our Norwegian friends know what happend to it?
Fabian, I thought you will show some of the cool european stuff as well? Or were you to young back then and you can't remember those cars?  Wink
This '66 notch was the bomb!

That was really a nice car,and also had a great interior.
I met that guy in 1991 on The VW Forum meeting(D)
Dave Galassi

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2011, 20:31:11 pm »

Wink
Remember when I saw this notch the first time in a mag, that was it have been a T3 guy since  Smiley Is the car still around?

It is.       http://www.the1500club.com/  Scroll down.  A few changes and  a lot of miles, but still going. 
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2011, 20:42:00 pm »

still looks good  Shocked

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:02 am »

From http://lozerifornia.skynetblogs.be/

speedwell

the archivist