The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 00:24:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Show pictures of your very own Cal Lookers guys
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 91 Print
Author Topic: Show pictures of your very own Cal Lookers guys  (Read 1030371 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1500 on: September 27, 2010, 18:58:43 pm »

I finally have a (sorta) cal look engine in my 68  Cheesy

I build it months ago and never dare to start it as I feared to make something wrong and break it.  Roll Eyes

I put around 1.000km last month on it without any troubles. I still have some tune up to do on, but as summer is over, I'll do that during winter time.

It's just a very mild 1600cc with lightly ported heads, stainless steel valves, ~8.5cr, VZ14 cam, stock balanced crank and flywheel and a pair of Kadron.
It's a nice driver that is able to surprise some modern diesel car at stop light  Grin
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #1501 on: September 27, 2010, 19:51:05 pm »

Cool JF ! And it's looking good too.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #1502 on: September 27, 2010, 20:14:04 pm »

I like that j-f.  Cool

Jim R.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1503 on: September 27, 2010, 20:23:06 pm »

Thanks guy's.

I'm quite proud of it as it the first engine I completely build. Now I will see how long it will last.  Roll Eyes
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #1504 on: September 27, 2010, 21:13:46 pm »

Picture taken at DDD8, on my way to a new PB off 13.21secs
Drove it over to Bitburg on saterday morning doing about 120km/h on the freeway.
Then did 3 passes on the Bitburg strip, drove back home on saterday evening and went to a party in it...
True streetcar Wink
All this with a relatively small engine, completely stock gearbox and street tires.
I was happy about my weekend  Cool

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1505 on: September 27, 2010, 21:50:50 pm »

yup, cool car jelle and congrats on the new PB! all you need now is some carpeting Wink

j-f, nice engine, very similar to my brother's engine!! only he has a 100cc more.
good job!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1506 on: September 28, 2010, 00:56:07 am »

Picture taken at DDD8, on my way to a new PB off 13.21secs
Drove it over to Bitburg on saterday morning doing about 120km/h on the freeway.
Then did 3 passes on the Bitburg strip, drove back home on saterday evening and went to a party in it...
True streetcar Wink
All this with a relatively small engine, completely stock gearbox and street tires.
I was happy about my weekend  Cool

yeah but have you changes the oil yet Wink

Seriously though congrats dude Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1507 on: September 28, 2010, 01:30:14 am »

Sanitary engine bay.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1508 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:50 am »

Thanks again Mark and Did  Wink

it's far from a show car as all the engine bay paint is still original. I also need to sort some cosmetic issues as the rubber that seals engine bay, also original and well worn. But, as I said, I just want to enjoy by now before store it for winter.  Cheesy
CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #1509 on: September 28, 2010, 08:48:31 am »

I build it months ago and never dare to start it as I feared to make something wrong and break it.  Roll Eyes

I put around 1.000km last month on it without any troubles. I still have some tune up to do on, but as summer is over, I'll do that during winter time.

It's just a very mild 1600cc with lightly ported heads, stainless steel valves, ~8.5cr, VZ14 cam, stock balanced crank and flywheel and a pair of Kadron.
It's a nice driver that is able to surprise some modern diesel car at stop light  Grin

just like my brother said: that engine is just like what i am building, except for that i have 1679cc.
the engine looks really nice with the original filters and linkage! just like the stuff i have ready for assembly, oldschool dude!
i like the clean look of your engine bay as well! does the breather box run to both valve covers?
and distributor are you running?

what kind of valve springs and pushrods? that was a major consideration point because of the specs of the vz14.
i will be running dual springs and chromoly pushrods with my lightweight lifters, and had to enlarge the combustionchambers to keep the CR under 1:9

sorry for spoiling the topic.. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 13:45:51 pm by CHR!S/DVK » Logged

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #1510 on: September 28, 2010, 10:16:58 am »

yeah but have you changes the oil yet Wink

Seriously though congrats dude Smiley

Changed the oil? Damn I knew I forgot something Wink
Checked it when I arrived at Bitburg though, there seemed to be some in it, so everything was good to go and race!

Grtz,
Jelle

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1511 on: September 28, 2010, 20:15:20 pm »

just like my brother said: that engine is just like what i am building, except for that i have 1679cc.
the engine looks really nice with the original filters and linkage! just like the stuff i have ready for assembly, oldschool dude!
i like the clean look of your engine bay as well! does the breather box run to both valve covers?
and distributor are you running?

what kind of valve springs and pushrods? that was a major consideration point because of the specs of the vz14.
i will be running dual springs and chromoly pushrods with my lightweight lifters, and had to enlarge the combustionchambers to keep the CR under 1:9

sorry for spoiling the topic.. Embarrassed

I have use hydraulic oil hose for the breather box and route them to the valve covers through the rear engine tin.
Distributor is a 009 with an Hot spark breakerless ignition kit. I know that it is recommended to use a SVDA vacuum dizzy with Kadron, but it works. I enlarge main jet to 60 to reduce flat spot.
Well, for valve springs, I use single HD with stock pushrods. I know that VZ serie has lot's of valve acceleration, but I follow the advice of the guy where I buy my stuff. He's a reknown engine builder in France (Loïc Charpentier for those who know him.).
heads are 1mm fly cut, deck height are 1.2mm. I have calculate a CR of 8.3, I write it somewhere but can't find my notebook.  Roll Eyes

nicolas

« Reply #1512 on: September 28, 2010, 21:54:15 pm »

hey JF that engine looks good. all i want to add/change is the wiring and put that a bit nicer in the car. but if you have fun that is the most important part.

and speaking of fun. congrats Jelle, if i had know you went to a party, you could have borrowed the helmet for that as well  Grin it is also a very good partyhelmet and attractionmagnet.
sofaking

« Reply #1513 on: November 08, 2010, 06:14:04 am »

Done.......

Dirk / DFL

« Reply #1514 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:29 am »

Done.......

Wow, everything red? Looks great! Shocked
Sarge

« Reply #1515 on: November 08, 2010, 16:13:24 pm »

'Atta boy, Karl... lookin' GOOD!! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #1516 on: November 08, 2010, 16:19:33 pm »

My 67 daily driver also Smiley

needs a clean but i use it every day...

took it to france the week after i finished it Smiley

Aircooled Engineering. Birmingham, England

www.ace-vw.com

Check us out on FB, www.facebook.com/aircooledengineering

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'67 Chevelle PT106mm turbo
'66 Lincoln
The Action Is Go

« Reply #1517 on: November 09, 2010, 00:22:43 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1518 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:52 am »

My try at the look

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
The Action Is Go

« Reply #1519 on: November 09, 2010, 01:15:20 am »

My try at the look

Decided on interior color?
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1520 on: November 09, 2010, 01:34:26 am »

It between red, grays or light brown, AHHHHHH-NO! It al depends on how nice or how close to original I can get on the door panels. I like the pressed beads in the TMI brand door panels. If I go that direction, Very few choices.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #1521 on: November 09, 2010, 01:59:56 am »

I vote for light gray or brown, Danny.

And to keep this thread on topic:

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1522 on: November 09, 2010, 02:28:20 am »

Ya, I am kinda leaning towards grey of some sort. Been looking at some grey wool material from some splitwindows I have seen or grey vinal tmi door panels and have lenny sew up and build the seats, I was very happy with lenny when he did my double cab a few years back.

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #1523 on: November 09, 2010, 04:17:54 am »

I vote for light gray or brown, Danny.

And to keep this thread on topic:

UMMMM......SWEET!!!

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
low oval
DKK

« Reply #1524 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:29 am »

Done.......
saw your car at Nick's, awesome job! especially liked the idiot lights, great job again.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
LuftsickTero

« Reply #1525 on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:19 am »

Ya, I am kinda leaning towards grey of some sort. Been looking at some grey wool material from some splitwindows I have seen or grey vinal tmi door panels and have lenny sew up and build the seats, I was very happy with lenny when he did my double cab a few years back.

Not sure about Split stuff but the dotted fabric found in late Ovals is my favourite in cloth materials:

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #1526 on: November 09, 2010, 10:35:30 am »

Also, I don't think off the shelf TMI stuff does justice to your own work/ideas in the car  Cool

Door panels don't get much more boring than the original '61-'65 gray panels which TMI is reproing. IMHO, the best vinyl interior is the '58/'59 style (if it has to be OEM-like).

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Sarge

« Reply #1527 on: November 09, 2010, 14:38:04 pm »

.... "I don't think off the shelf TMI stuff does justice to your own work/ideas in the car."

I agree!!  I'm thinking beige/brown tones with Lotus White rather then grey, too.  Save your bucks and go see Lenny.  My $.02.

DKP III
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1528 on: November 09, 2010, 18:07:25 pm »

Very nice stuff, Ya I have been thinking of the split type cloth or wool , Like the original. Last time in OC I ran out of time to get by lenny's to get some samples. Only thing is for sure is the rubber floor mat's . so that will direct the color a little bit. I have gray, But will get some type of light brown ones if I can find. Thanks again for any input.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #1529 on: November 10, 2010, 01:30:11 am »

UMMMM......SWEET!!!

Thanks, Jason.

~Sarge
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 91 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: