The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:22:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  UK aircooled VW drag weekend 8th/9th July,with street car shoot out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: UK aircooled VW drag weekend 8th/9th July,with street car shoot out  (Read 71325 times)
richie

« on: January 05, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »

As the guys that run the UK Cal look drag day have got dates confirmed for this year for 8th & 9th July at Shakespeare county raceway we are planning on running the Street car shoot out we hoped to have last year before loosing track dates.

So going on the basic things I took from the previous discussion this is the provisional idea.

There will be a approximate 25mile cruise around the local area to show the streetablity of all cars [and have some fun Wink ]  planned for Saturday late afternoon/early evening and the format for racing will be based around 2 different classes:

" Actual street" & "Modified street", with them both then split into N/A and power adder groups for quickest in each.

The plan is the "Actual street" class will be run exactly as you drive it on cruise and will be street legal at track as well, so pump fuel, mufflers, treaded tyres, fan belt on etc, working lights, indicators, horn and wipers required, and will not allow burnouts, the idea is so cars are just the same as if you pulled up to a stoplight on street Wink

"Modified Street" will allow you to swap parts after cruise, slicks, stingers and race fuel allowed Grin

So if you are interested please reply on here so we can get an idea of possible numbers, and at this time we welcome any input to the rules etc so tell us your thoughts & ideas Smiley  

cheers Richie
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:46:04 am by richie » Logged

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
numbnuts

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 13:35:43 pm »

Hi Richie,

I would like you to put me down for this, 2 things are preventing me at the moment:
1. I need to finish my car - working on it most evenings to get it running - I have the determination to make it in time
2. Its my wife's birthday weekend - this may take more work than the car (which is a lot!)

2854cc 1956 cal looker coming to this space shortly
leec

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 14:05:05 pm »

I'm going to attend.
1 question, why no burnout allowed in the actual street class? Surely some heat in tyres is a safety thing?
Lee
richie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 14:16:09 pm »

Hi Richie,

I would like you to put me down for this, 2 things are preventing me at the moment:
1. I need to finish my car - working on it most evenings to get it running - I have the determination to make it in time
2. Its my wife's birthday weekend - this may take more work than the car (which is a lot!)

At least you now have a target date to aim for Smiley

richie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 14:25:17 pm »

I'm going to attend.
1 question, why no burnout allowed in the actual street class? Surely some heat in tyres is a safety thing?
Lee

Lee,

1st, good you will attend Smiley

as its supposed to be "actual street" class and run just like car is on cruise and burnouts are not legal on street it seems to fit more, also I don't think adding heat in a normal street radial tyre by doing a burnout is a safety thing no, tyre manufactures didn't design them that way did they? .

Next people will be wanting slicks as its a safety thing etc etc, got to draw the line somewhere Smiley The class is aimed more at those that never usually race there cars, and most likely will drive them their and home, this should also help save a few gearboxes maybe Shocked
cheers Richie

Andy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 14:49:29 pm »

I am planning to be there,
'Actual Street' sounds good to me as I usually drive my bug to the strip, run it and then drive it home.
leec

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 15:25:34 pm »

I'm going to attend.
Lee

Lee,

1st, good you will attend Smiley

as its supposed to be "actual street" class and run just like car is on cruise and burnouts are not legal on street it seems to fit more, also I don't think adding heat in a normal street radial tyre by doing a burnout is a safety thing no, tyre manufactures didn't design them that way did they? .

Next people will be wanting slicks as its a safety thing etc etc, got to draw the line somewhere Smiley The class is aimed more at those that never usually race there cars, and most likely will drive them their and home, this should also help save a few gearboxes maybe Shocked
cheers Richie

All fair points Smiley looking forward to it now. Got a few changes planned for the car this year to chase Harvey down. Thank you to all who are organising.
Lee
baz

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 17:13:57 pm »

I'm gonna put my name down for this, if I don't have my car ready by July I'm gonna take an axe to it  Cheesy

I will prevail.
numbnuts

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 19:01:48 pm »

Baz, I reckon I mst have more work to do than you, you should post a picture up, maybe there could be a prize for the person that has built a car and got it running to be there in the shortest amount of time😄

2854cc 1956 cal looker coming to this space shortly
baz

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 19:16:18 pm »

Baz, I reckon I mst have more work to do than you, you should post a picture up, maybe there could be a prize for the person that has built a car and got it running to be there in the shortest amount of time😄

If there's a prize for slowest build I might be in contention Wink

I will prevail.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 19:46:50 pm »

burnouts are not legal on street it seems to fit more

Racing is legal in the streets over there Richie?  Wink
richie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 20:23:54 pm »

Cheesy

richie

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 20:25:27 pm »

I'm gonna put my name down for this, if I don't have my car ready by July I'm gonna take an axe to it  Cheesy

Ok I have put you two down as the 1st pair to go down the track to open the event so no excuses Grin

baz

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 20:50:29 pm »

I'm gonna put my name down for this, if I don't have my car ready by July I'm gonna take an axe to it  Cheesy

Ok I have put you two down as the 1st pair to go down the track to open the event so no excuses Grin

Shit!  No pressure then  Shocked So long as you're staging behind me richie so all eyes will be on you Wink

I will prevail.
Felix/DFL

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 21:30:44 pm »

What, burnouts are not legal? Upps... Wink
I would not ristrict it, with street tires you would slow the e/t's. So personal taste.
But it's always a nice show for those who are not that fast, but like a bit fun...
Other rules and idea i find perfect!
I must look when my holiday slot will be, would love to go to gb for some good fun and nice people.
Greetz,Felix
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:52 am »

"Actual Street" rules sound like the best compromise set-up I've heard personally in a long time.

Have fun!
richie

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 10:59:00 am »

What, burnouts are not legal? Upps... Wink
I would not ristrict it, with street tires you would slow the e/t's. So personal taste.
But it's always a nice show for those who are not that fast, but like a bit fun...
Other rules and idea i find perfect!
I must look when my holiday slot will be, would love to go to gb for some good fun and nice people.
Greetz,Felix

Hi Felix

would be great to see you with car join us Cool  Rules are open for discussion so appreciate your input Smiley, we just want to keep it simple and try to make it as fun as possible but give everyone same chance Wink

cheers Richie

Richierich56

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 13:08:13 pm »

Sounds great - I'll do my best to make the journey down in the Oval with new motor (once gearbox issues are sorted - ahem).

Rich
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 17:13:36 pm by Richierich56 » Logged
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 14:53:33 pm »

I'll get my radials fitted up Richie!

leec

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 15:20:19 pm »

Be good to see you and the car Jamie
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 16:39:55 pm »

Be good to see you and the car Jamie

Looking forward to seeing you too mate!

And huge thanks to Richie for organising this shootout Smiley it should be a lot of fun.

richie

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:37 am »

I'll get my radials fitted up Richie!

Cool  So finally it will make a public appearance at the track, was beginning to think it was just a wash & show car Grin

cheers Richie

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 15:54:37 pm »

Cool  So finally it will make a public appearance at the track, was beginning to think it was just a wash & show car Grin

cheers Richie

Thats the one time I washed it haha

peach_

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 18:03:41 pm »

cheers Richie

Thats the one time I washed it haha

2 years ago, right?  Cheesy Kiss

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
2085 72 gtbug

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 20:56:32 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Count me in to Richie a little more horse power by July but still the slowest (hopefully Jamie and Rich will sort a prize for that   Roll Eyes)
Cheers Chris
richie

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 17:22:09 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Count me in to Richie a little more horse power by July but still the slowest (hopefully Jamie and Rich will sort a prize for that   Roll Eyes)
Cheers Chris

No prizes for last Chris Shocked Cheesy So make sure you give it all its got Wink  Good to know you will make it and with car Cool

thehanz DVK

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 21:36:48 pm »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes then get to work fast richie..... Tongue
Gonna try to fit this in the agenda
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 21:40:43 pm by thehanz DVK » Logged

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
richie

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:17 am »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes then get to work fast richie..... Tongue
Gonna try to fit this in the agenda

Which colour car would you bring though?  Wink

Happychappy

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 14:49:28 pm »

Put me down for 'Actual Street' class please  Cool
Neil Davies

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 07:53:48 am »

This gives me something to aim for too. Actual street, no burnout to try to save a stock gearbox! I'll be using the 2007cc motor that ran 12:50's in Headstraight in my full weight Beetle. Maybe run low 14's?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: