The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  greg aronson /jim holmes ragtop for sale ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: greg aronson /jim holmes ragtop for sale ???  (Read 41541 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: May 11, 2017, 20:12:03 pm »

guys what do you think about that advert on samba Huh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2053342

Very Special 1963 Ragtop Bug   Price: 21,500
This car was purchased from the original owner in 1969 by Greg Aronson (currently at FAT Performance) who later sold it to his friend Jim Holmes. Jim customized the car which started the “California Look” that first appeared on the cover of 1975 Hot VW. You can visit and read all the articles on the digital issue at:

https://www.hotvws.com/digital-magazine/1975-cal-look/

I purchased the car in the mid 80’s and at that time the prior owners had made changes and I did not know the history. I’ve owned the car now over 30 years and recently verified that the car I have for sale is indeed the VW that appears on the cover of 1975 Hot VW. When I put this car into a Trust (1995) the license plate was changed from 368CKY (which appears in this issue) to 2EIL616 and I have current CA DMV verification of that fact.

Since I purchased this car it has been parked inside and is currently insured with CA tags that are good until April 2018

The car does need a good paint job but you can see that it was the original “white car”---------

The car interior has been upgraded with custom aluminum dash and door panel, VDO gauges, Ricardo type seats, and roll bar. In addition a new adjustable front axle, ragtop, Centerline wheels, 2387 engine and Freeway Flyer Pro Transaxle have been installed (less than 200 miles on new build)

The original car had front and rear “nerf” bars installed and although I replaced them with bumpers I still have the original nerf bars (they may have been some of the original produced because they look handmade)

There are more pictures and detail information which are available upon request.

I have put a lot of time and money in this car but it also has a lot of historical value which will increase over time. I am in the process of downsizing and would like to sell this car at a reasonable price so my asking price is $21,500 or higher bid.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 20:16:39 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
leec

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 20:27:49 pm »

See my post below! I couldn't believe it when I saw it
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 22:20:43 pm »

I have my doubts. Dean Kirsten knows the full story on the original car. Let's wait to see what he says...

Maybe it is. Would be an interesting find. Goes against all the stories I'd been told about its history after Jim Holmes' ownership.  Huh
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 22:31:29 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
bilboa2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 22:22:57 pm »

I know a secret way to tell.
I take paypal....
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 22:39:40 pm »

I do remember what was supposed to be the Aronson/Holmes car coming up for sale in the mid- to late-1980s but hearing that there was nothing left of the original worth saving (at the time) as it had been crashed, had lost all the drivetrain, the dash had been cut out, etc etc. All of which fits with this story – definitely interesting, If it can be proven, then the car is worth a lot more than $21.5K to the right person...

Brian Rogers

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 23:00:22 pm »

Some one might go for it. This is a small community and people tend to know what went where. No worries from me, it's out of my league.
deano

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 23:07:36 pm »

Well, well, well. It finally surfaced after all these years. White headliner is interesting.... Like what was said above, there are ways to tell IF this is the real deal. But from what little I see and read, I am 80% sure it is the real Aronson car.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 23:07:40 pm »

so its the correct car was verified with Greg Aronson last week and with DMV the number plate was changed when the car was in a trust, seems too be 100% real, just waiting for my offer to be accepted (i hope)

Needs some work but noting that can't be sorted.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Bryan67

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 23:31:00 pm »

Russel, you`re the man for the job.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
bilboa2

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 00:47:09 am »

Great news.   I talked to kieth goss and we compared comments on the car pics. We liked the chrome ashtray, chrome e brake, also wished we had close up of decklid latch area to see if stud hole for aronson style decklid is there. T-bars looked right too. I told him I remember bending a t-bar and it was always lightly bent. If doors are the same, fog up the vent wing glass and see if the original dkp decal circle shows up. I remember always seeing that when the fog at the beach showed up. Goss worked on that car alot, said he saw the car after both front end issues.  He wished to see more pics of under rear apron etc and stated it was very likely the car. Now we know it is by vin number assurance..  So ..... ?
70slooker

hello

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:24:24 am »

It can't be real, there is an ignition key.

This is fantastic to see! Greg needs something to do in retirement no?

Zündfolge Car Club
bilboa2

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:45:03 am »

I put a key in it.  lol 
restojohnny

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 05:07:10 am »

Hmmmm just around the corner from my house too. If any potential buyers wants me to go check it out let me know  Wink

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 05:08:38 am »

This car was on craiglist a few months back, I sent an email with a few questions about the heritage, the price was a bit less than now. I told my wife if this was the real car we are getting it. Never heard back from him.  Hope you get it Russell!!

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
elrick

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 05:19:46 am »

Just a thought, I think 62 and 63's have 6 screws holding the doors on not 8 I think it's a 61 body
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 07:06:01 am »

Just a thought, I think 62 and 63's have 6 screws holding the doors on not 8 I think it's a 61 body

Good catch. From Progressive Refinements:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That would mean that this particular car is at the latest a 1962. I can't find a picture of the original car to compare. Anyone??

Edit:
The VIN as stated in the ad is 5172666, which puts it at a December 1962 build, 1963 model year.
So something is definitely fucky with those door hinges. Maybe the entire front clip (cut at A pillars and heater channels) was replaced at one point?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:24:10 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:01 am »

Yes, Jim crashed the car at one point. A whole new clip was added at the A-pillar and thresholds.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 08:07:47 am »

so after a lengthy chat with the seller last night, I'm also 100% sure its correct, but am finding the sale a little strange, As Bill stated it was in Craig's list, it was then offered to Greg 2 weeks ago, Deano had spoken to the guys years ago, etc..... with all these things it does make it very strange that it hasn't sold in the states yet and after the initial reply I got, I didn't think it would end up with me either, but I think the chat has helped, however with all these thinks the deal is not done until the deal is done....

Whilst I would love the car if it does go elsewhere, I do hope that they do the right thing and restore correctly and not a cheap makeover to sell on. This car should be and is a responsibility to whoever gets it to do the right thing.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
alex d

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:34:22 am »

I think most us us have an idea of what the right thing to do is with this car (IF it is the real stuff), let's hope it falls in the right hands!
 Smiley
Andrew

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 08:56:52 am »

Wow, what a find, hope it lands in a safe place.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:07 am »

Awesome I hope the car will be back to his former glory with original Brm
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 11:06:03 am »

Period piece
nlvtinman

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 13:07:34 pm »

With Deans note that this car was windshield clipped after an accident, while there are parts to the car that make it a piece of history, it's no more the real car now than that which Scott Bakken recreated years ago that Russell now owns.

Original bits and pieces do not make it "The Car". Just MHO
Russell

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 14:08:13 pm »

With Deans note that this car was windshield clipped after an accident, while there are parts to the car that make it a piece of history, it's no more the real car now than that which Scott Bakken recreated years ago that Russell now owns.

Original bits and pieces do not make it "The Car". Just MHO

I get your drift but the clip was added during ownership of greg/jim, like any car that requires restoration you have to start with something, however if its a copy or a fake or even a replica it is what it is, however an original car is an original car all be it after a facelift..... look at the split bus's even after every panel is replaced its still a bus maybe not a vw but a funky green one !!!

This car has the original VIN number, floor pan and body as well as some other parts after 40 years you do expect some changes, look at tar babe it was a mess but still the original car and work putting back together correctly to be preserved for history.

Also, one of the doors on tar babe came from inch pincher but we never said it was the inch pincher

lets embrace that its still alive and might be returned to the way it was, that would be so cool.

Best Regards

Russell
Scotty

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 14:36:25 pm »

I hope you get the car Russell!
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 14:43:25 pm »

,,,I'm 99% sure that over 90% of The Aronson Car's OG Parts are still MISSING,,,,sorry , Just an attempt at humor
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 14:44:10 pm »

Yes, Jim crashed the car at one point. A whole new clip was added at the A-pillar and thresholds.

That's unfortunate, I hope who ever did the work had the sense to swap over the original VIN plate in the spare tire well.

If it is the real deal, which is looking pretty likely at this point, I hope you get your hands on it RR.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 15:04:30 pm »

So it is not in time capsule condition, but it looks like it is the original car.  Most of the significant hot rods that are restored now were in similar condition.  This is the most iconic cal look car there is. The Hirohata Merc / McGee roadster of our hobby.  I really hope you get it Russell, you have the means to make it right. It would make a great bookend to Tar Babe.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Jeff68

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 16:03:43 pm »

WOW! It's so cool the car still exists even though / without 100% of the original parts. This car is a large part of what inspired "Cal-Look" for me and most of us I'm sure.  I know who ever gets this car will do what's "right" for it....Very cool  Cool
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 16:15:41 pm »

We have the technology...  Wink [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

(Note lack of bumper cut-outs in the rear fenders and filled rear apron...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 16:20:13 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: