The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:18:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Aircooled VW street car shoot out 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Aircooled VW street car shoot out 2018  (Read 36122 times)
richie

« on: July 18, 2017, 08:11:09 am »

With the likelihood that Shakespeare county raceway will close this winter[not confirmed 100% yet] I have already talked to Santa pod about the possibility of running the Street car shoot out their next year via email last week and in person last Friday, they seem positive about it and I proposed we would run it at the Retro show with is usually around 17/18th june, they were already looking for a couple of race classes to add to this event so this could work out well . While this is only a one day show[sunday] there is a rwyb/test n tune on the Saturday allowing racing both days.
As soon as I know more I will update this thread with any details but all those that didn't quite make it this year keep on working on those cars, you have plenty of time to get them done now, no excuses Grin

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:14:49 am »

This is a link to report from this years show so you get an idea of what is about, its not only drag racing either with an Autotest and a drift arena to keep you entertained

http://www.retroshow.co.uk/index.php

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:20 am »

Cool, I'll look forward to this.

Andrew
baz

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »

Should be ready in time  Wink

I will prevail.
thehanz DVK

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 20:28:30 pm »

Grin Grin

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
kever65

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 22:01:11 pm »

Cool, an other street car shootout,  keep them coming,  this keeps us motivated to make our cars better and better 😆

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

richie

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 13:05:38 pm »

It will happen in 2018 at the retro show as planned, it has been confirmed and added to the schedule for that event, dates are 16th /17th June, here's a link to what else to expect Smiley

http://www.retroshow.co.uk/index.php

numbnuts

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 15:47:51 pm »

I really have no excuse for not finishing my car for this, I have had an extra year since I last said it would be done

2854cc 1956 cal looker coming to this space shortly
Airspeed

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 21:16:55 pm »

I really have no excuse for not finishing my car for this, I have had an extra year since I last said it would be done
You too huh?  Cheesy

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 23:44:08 pm »

My car will be fixed for then - hopefully have the motor out this week after breaking it on the way home from the last event at Shakey in October.
Bigger problem is persuading Em to go to Pod as she isn't a fan of the place (and to be fair, nor am I so much any more). I might just have a day out.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Richierich56

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 00:04:04 am »

I'll be down for this for sure.
Happychappy

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 17:17:30 pm »

I'm off for the whole weekend, I will be there!
richie

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:26 am »

My car will be fixed for then - hopefully have the motor out this week after breaking it on the way home from the last event at Shakey in October.
Bigger problem is persuading Em to go to Pod as she isn't a fan of the place (and to be fair, nor am I so much any more). I might just have a day out.

I'll be down for this for sure.

I'm off for the whole weekend, I will be there!

Cool

Be good to get more cars than last year, so no excuses if you want to join in the fun get out in the garage and get it done Grin

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 17:54:23 pm »

I've been told I'm not allowed to let my car sit and fester again, so that sounds like a pass out for me! Grin
Half term in 4 weeks time so I'll attack it then!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
numbnuts

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 19:19:03 pm »

I've been working hard on getting this thing up and running for the first time,  I now have steering, brakes and engine done, just need to out the engine back in and wire it up for the first start!

richie

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 19:37:23 pm »

For those of you on facebook Jo has created this page for the street car shootout

https://www.facebook.com/VWAircooledStreetCarShootout/

richie

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:28 pm »

Ok question for anyone thinking of running, I have been asked if Octane booster is allowed on a N/A car, so opinions please? My thought is if its a commercially available product legal for road use then its ok same as water meth on a turbo car

cheers Richie

Airspeed

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 15:52:22 pm »

Sure, i'd say no problem. Wouldn't want to make the rules too strict and its indeed very comparable to water-meth injection on a turbo car.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
DaveN

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 17:42:22 pm »

I would say no to octane boosters. How many Uk petrol stations sell octane booster?
numbnuts

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 20:16:57 pm »

I would say yes to octane boosters as its about getting as many people out to the race track as possible, if your car is set up or has to use it on the street then why exclude these people from this event. Is this a bit of fun and about meeting like minded folks on here or is it that serious that its about rules and winning ?

leec

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 20:55:05 pm »

I've ran race fuel in my car with no et gains. Can't see anything you buy in a little can/tin will make enough difference to actually worry about it from a rule point of view
DaveN

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 20:55:37 pm »

So if you built your car so it needs to run octane boosters / race fuel surely it Should be entered in the street modified class?

I’m just saying a highly strung car that needs octane boosters to make it drive able on the street vs a true street car that runs normal pump fuel isn’t fair
richie

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 21:03:02 pm »

I would say yes to octane boosters as its about getting as many people out to the race track as possible, if your car is set up or has to use it on the street then why exclude these people from this event. Is this a bit of fun and about meeting like minded folks on here or is it that serious that its about rules and winning ?

Joel

it is about having rules so it fair and equal for everyone, that's all Smiley and at moment there is no rule to say it can't be used. I am just asking for opinions  Smiley

I do think Dave made a good point though

cheers Richie

Neil Davies

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 21:11:06 pm »

I can see both sides of the argument as put forward by Lee and Dave. I've never considered octane boosters as a performance thing, just as a safety measure to prevent knocking when hammering it harder than you ever would on the road.  But as Dave said, if its so highly strung that it needs that, then it's maybe not a true street car?

In conclusion, no idea! I won't be using it, but I also won't be challenging for top spot! I'll be looking for a 13 and get all the way home...

DaveN

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 21:16:28 pm »

I'll be looking for a 13 and get all the way home...

And that’s why there is a true street car class. A 13 or 14 second car is in with a chance.

The fastest car isn’t guaranteed to win it
leec

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 21:32:38 pm »

I can see both sides of the argument as put forward by Lee and Dave. I've never considered octane boosters as a performance thing, just as a safety measure to prevent knocking when hammering it harder than you ever would on the road.  But as Dave said, if its so highly strung that it needs that, then it's maybe not a true street car?

In conclusion, no idea! I won't be using it, but I also won't be challenging for top spot! I'll be looking for a 13 and get all the way home...

I wasn't giving a point of view/side. Just that I'd seen no real gains. Unfortunately as there is no visible signs of using it, it would be a hard rule to police anyway. You would have to rely on honesty of the car owner.
DaveN

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 21:42:42 pm »

[quote
I wasn't giving a point of view/side. Just that I'd seen no real gains. Unfortunately as there is no visible signs of using it, it would be a hard rule to police anyway. You would have to rely on honesty of the car owner.
[/quote]

Unless the engine has a decent compression ratio to start with you won’t see any gains using race fuel
leec

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 21:46:11 pm »

And I guess that's my point. Race fuel/octane boosters don't 'make' horse power, the motor does that. If its 14:1 it's not going to run well on the cruise Smiley
numbnuts

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 23:04:21 pm »

I won't be in the running for top spot as I am still building this thing, it has never ran so there will be all sorts of bugs in it and am not experienced enough to be a contender.
I know what work needs to be done to my car to make it reliable and be able to cruise on the street without problem's but the amount of work still required is great. I understand the point you are making about highly strung engines and not being true street cars but for me if I do not manage to finish what it needs long term I would still rather attend for fun and sort that stuff out at a later date.

spanners

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 20:20:28 pm »

unless you guys want to go with fuel sampling and all the expense of the on car sample port etc and policing and testing for anomalys, let it in, as mentioned correctly above, it wont win you anything but may save a motor, we used gobs of it back when we had clunky ECU's and hose pipe injection, today you high end guys have knock control but some street racers will be on a budget and want to belt and braces their motor, cant hurt in my view and most should be happy.🤗

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: