The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 14:40:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  props to shubee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: props to shubee  (Read 19112 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 23:29:21 pm »

I use the best parts, I built my cars, I was there, I never use cheap parts, I hate trailer queens, I hate people who put lots of money on their cars, I built stuff the right way, bla bla bla bla bla bla...........

You arrogant bastard.  Every word that come out of your mouth.

let's see pictures of your current car by the way..Not pictures of cars you OWNED.

my guess is that you don't have a cell phone, or electric garage door, or maybe you are typing from a type writter since you live in the 70's.

Right for a start you are a newbie to trhis forum with only 10 post and I would suggest that you do not call people "You arrogant bastard"

We are a friendly bunch of guys on here sttuff like this is just uncalled for - please keep it friendly guys  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
sheep

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 23:30:08 pm »

Maybe everybody should just have a beer and start a new topic.

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 23:44:53 pm »

In defense of 'Trailer Queens', my 67 has thousands of miles on a trailer. It also has tens of thousands of miles on the pavement, including driving to The Classic in 97(4400KM) This weekend it's entered in a large domestic based indoor show, surrounded by American iron. You bet it's going to be on a trailer this friday, especially with our local rainy weather. Let's see, trailer it or clean it for hours and hours. Some people choose comfort on a long trip, along with the ability to mount the baby seat, air conditioning etc etc. Plus, I don't want to wear out my Caldwells... Wink

1967, the only year that matters.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 23:50:27 pm »

I go work on my car for a few hours and you guys blow up again. Everyone back off a few, knock down a cold one, and lets get back to talking about cool cars. BTW, after inhaleing carpet glue for five hours I have a 'ell of a headache. But the '67 has new carpet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 23:51:58 pm »

In defense of 'Trailer Queens', my 67 has thousands of miles on a trailer. It also has tens of thousands of miles on the pavement, including driving to The Classic in 97(4400KM) This weekend it's entered in a large domestic based indoor show, surrounded by American iron. You bet it's going to be on a trailer this friday, especially with our local rainy weather. Let's see, trailer it or clean it for hours and hours. Some people choose comfort on a long trip, along with the ability to mount the baby seat, air conditioning etc etc. Plus, I don't want to wear out my Caldwells... Wink

Are you towing it with "The Van?"  Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
sheep

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 23:59:20 pm »

Sarge, Thats a  great  picture of Jim you are using for your avatar Grin

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 00:00:02 am »

he does look better!!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 00:00:33 am »

he does look better!!!

Roll Eyes
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 00:25:13 am »

Are you towing it with "The Van?"  Roll Eyes Grin
'Golden Thunder'..of course.

1967, the only year that matters.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 02:10:04 am »

I just gotta say to Shubee... there is more than one way of doing the cal look, and still have the '70's spirit. Your way is not the only way. For instance your opinion on bumper bars... gotta be bent up more, has to be under the body, not under the bumper... stuff like that. Sure, we all want that vintage 70's style, but we dont all want to have cars that look like clones of each other either. Just something to think about. Im not baggin on you, just giving you my .02 worth Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 02:16:35 am »

Louisb told me about this place and I came here to get away from this sort of crap.  I like it here.  There is a more open and friendly atmosphere.  That's probably because there are more Europeans here than those arrogant Americans.  JOKE!  We really don't need this here.  Take it someplace else and let's return to having fun. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 03:31:18 am »

Ever notice that the only problems we ever have here have one common denominator?Huh

I also park at Nick's.
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 04:54:02 am »

come on now guys...my deep apologies for starting a fire here if i did as i certainly didnt expect what has just taken place as im with donny B on this subject/as i have found the cal look lounge to be a great place without the usual political stabbing that has taken place elsewhere...i was propping someone who i also think can be/sound arrogant but gary is the "shit" when it comes to doing things right and yes he  ANAL and a little bit ARROGANT to some BUT a world book of wonderful KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE...and sometimes rather than saying a simple thank you which he did/sometimes pride becomes a part of conversation and one needs to elaborate upon their own experience. i feel like sometimes people dont want to hear me  rant about subjects  because ive been exposed/exposed/and overexposed through the years but i am a person who has been lucky enough as gary to experience a time that will never be again as time does move on as we know it and feel the need sometimes to rant on about things that seem odd or out of place to some and accepted by others. i will be the first to step up and say that shubee can rub some feathers but he is a truly a good hearted person who wants to be accepted like the rest of us and both he and others need to use this as an example to learn from and how a persons communication can be interpreted many ways. ive been dumped on by many people for selling vw and other cars to japan/ and to the euro community as well keeping this cal look tradition alive for others to enjoy and i have been called arrogant as well by some who dont understand my sentiments . now lets all just chill back and learn from this...its all good my global friends..i reflected back to a special time in my life that i had forgotten about and wanted to say thanks to an "old friend" for doing such a nice job on a car that i didnt recognize when it was in my stable of cars at the time...much respect to all of you whoever you are  that carry the pride of buying/building/driving the cars you do and representing yourselves so well in a much troubled world that we live in..!!
lawrence

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 06:42:59 am »

Cal-look fans prefer the lounge over other so called websites 2 to 1

Relax everyone, it's just the internet Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 08:55:30 am »

ok guys  stop that tread we are here to have great moment and talking about vw not to attack ,you've your point of vue and shubbe is one
keep cool guys
fabs

Couldn't agree more dude, I have just finished telling a friend of mine that there are NEVER any arguments here on the lounge - So lets keep that way guys  Smiley

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.

Not to start any more arguements here, but is'nt the 70's and 80's what the lounge is all about?

Again i would have to agree The Lounge is all about the 70's and 80's - Lets face it most of us on here no matter what our age are stuck in 70's after all it was the  Golden era of Cal Look  Smiley

I will say though I do very much agree with Gary aka Shubee that MOST of the cars coming out today are very much "over built" both here in the UK and over there in the USA and are not what I personally call "Cal Look" ie too narrow, wrong tires, etc etc etc etc BUT this is just My personal opinion and whilst I do try and influence these guys/cars  Wink I would NEVER dream of telling someone how to build the car they want to build - its all about personal taste  Smiley

It is a very similar situation here in the UK with so called "Period Perfect Buggies"  which most people know is a subject very close to my heart Grin Now this may cause a bit of a stir BUT I truely believe that Mine and My friend Robs Meyers Manx's are the only 2 TRUE "Period Perfect buggies"  again guys this is just my personal opinion Wink Smiley

So there we have Guys my 2 cents for what its worth   Smiley

and you're playing a lot with this one LEE Grin  true buggies no show buggies  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 12:43:30 pm »

Haha what a topic,

But who of you here has or builds a 80's callooker??
I think most here are in the 70's oldskool look. If i look at pics on several forums i cant find one dude or gal that is into the 80's callook.

I agree that some have trailer queens and are way overdone,but then again thats those owners choices.

About the callook rules,who ever told that thats the only way to go? Someone made up a set of rules that everybody is following.
Its like the first person who put on paper that the colour black is black and not green,haha.

I follow my own rules and make a car i like,being a 80's looker with my own personal touches. Grin

But like said before we arent here to diss eachother,we are all some kind of friends of eachother sharing the vw beetle. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 14:01:37 pm »

I just gotta say to Shubee... there is more than one way of doing the cal look, and still have the '70's spirit. Your way is not the only way. For instance your opinion on bumper bars... gotta be bent up more, has to be under the body, not under the bumper... stuff like that. Sure, we all want that vintage 70's style, but we dont all want to have cars that look like clones of each other either. Just something to think about. Im not baggin on you, just giving you my .02 worth Wink
I was not saying you had to bend the Bars up I was Saying thats How We Did It Then  everyone has there own taste and they all like Different things so it is up to  what you like. I think thats where we get in to all these heated replys  I Am not trying to Tell Anyone how to Build there Car, Build it how you want, Drive it how you want ,trailer it like you want. ME Myself  I Like The 70's Cal Looks others like the 80's,90's,2000's everyone likes Different things and has Different tastes thats Fine. But it seems every time I say something about the old Cars I get jumped on,  when lowfastbus asked about installing the buggy bumpers I told Him How We Did it back then, Sorry for Trying to Help someone!!!! Huh  We are all here for one reason, To Help and Share with each other weather it be Pictures,How to's,Performance Information,Tech. info,things for sale or wanted, some are new to the Lounge some have been here a while just like some guys lived the 70's others read about it. But What keeps us all going Is A Love For VW's that is the one thing we all have in common no matter what style you have or are building.   Keep On Buggin  and lets get back to having a good time!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 14:32:30 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 14:33:30 pm »

I dig you Shubee2.

Some peops are small minded and see things only in black and white.
Like you said you speak for yourself and not others,am with you there dude. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 14:36:18 pm »

We all like different things, and for us “young” dudes its really cool to hear the opinions of the Shubee and the other old boys.
I wish people would learn to accept Shubees way of writing, how can one STILL get offended by him writing how HE would have done it back then.

Do we need to divide this forum even further?
For example:
1 Real old strange cal look.
2 Eighties
3 Nineties "old school/DKP3"
4 Making history as we go

We could gladly do this, but unless people who get upset over others taste keep out of the parts they dont like, there is no point.

Don't bag on others style please.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 14:36:33 pm »

I think folks need to remember that this is a faceless medium. There is no body language to help you interpret what someone is typing. (Its why they invented smilies  Wink Grin Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss ) There is also the cultural and language barrier when one communicates on an international forum such as this one. Just remember that when reading posts and try to interpret it in the best way possible.  There are no bad people on this forum and my bet is everyone here is someone you would enjoy sitting back and having a beer with. A real live person is sitting on the other side of that monitor typing these posts. So keep it civil and don't take anything too personal. The last thing we want is for this forum to degenerate like other forums and end up like the CLF or worse The Samba. 

I know that it is hard to do when you have people who are fiercely loyal to their cars and have a lot of time, money, blood, sweat and tears invested in their cars. They are like a personal extension of ourselves. When someone says they don't like a style its not a personal attack against you. Everyone may not like a specific style of car but I think there is something in most cars we can admire. (I draw the line at lowriders and hoodrides though.  Tongue ) A good example are the cars the German Folks build. Not my style and I wouldn't build or buy one. Still I can admire the attention to detail, the craftsmanship and the effort put into building one. One day I hope to be able to build a car of that quality. Everyone has their own interpretation of what Cal-look encompasses based on their experiences and personal preferences. Just because you don't agree with someone else's interpretation doesn't mean you should go piss in their cheerios. Just agree to disagree.  99.999% of the world can barely guess what decade our cars come from much less even notice if the chrome has been removed. And our hobby needs to be more inclusive and less exclusive if we want to attract new blood to it. But that is another rant.

In the defense of Shubee he has a wealth of knowledge and experience that we can draw upon. As they say he has been there and done that. He may be as tacitfull as a chain saw at a tree huggers convention but he is not mean spirited or out to attack anyone. He has his opinion and he is not afraid to express it. He has given me some good advice on my car and l think he is an ok guy. (I also wish I had his garage. Grin ) Just try to keep the debate friendly and enjoy the camaraderie and friendships we are building on this forum. Maybe we ought to amend the saying to when at parties don't talk about money, religion, politics or chrome trim.  Tongue

And last but not least, when replying to any post remember what your mama taught you. "If you don't have anything good to say, keep your damn pie hole shut!"  Grin Anyway, lets get back to talking about what we all came here for, fast VWs.

--louis
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 14:39:19 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 15:53:00 pm »

Well put Louis. Lets just get this one behind us and go back to having fun..
nicolas

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2007, 19:43:26 pm »

Haha what a topic,

But who of you here has or builds a 80's callooker??
I think most here are in the 70's oldskool look. If i look at pics on several forums i cant find one dude or gal that is into the 80's callook.

ah and why did we make a special post about 80's callooks? because there are some of us like me who really dig that 80's stuff. too bad i am going bold, otherwise i would be sporting a mullet, short shorts, pink tshirts and sneakers with pulled up white socks!

come to think of it i allready am wearing the shorts. 80's here i come baby  Cool
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2007, 19:57:57 pm »

anyway i've issue from 68 to 06   which year do you want cal look 70's or 80's or if you want i've 90's & 00's oldschool car  Grin Grin Grin Grin
guys make your car in the way you want , you're building your car for you  and after for the other guys , you like it or not that's the way it's
have more fun now  Grin Grin Grin
lets go to made a new tread  Cheesy
rgd
fabs  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fasteddie63

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2012, 06:52:44 am »

Shubee,Dyno,And The Legendary Mike Smith
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: