The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  What is thread on fuel pump block-off plate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is thread on fuel pump block-off plate?  (Read 6643 times)
StewRat

« on: July 17, 2018, 13:10:47 pm »

I reckon I need to add more pressure relief to my crankcase and the fuel pump blockoff seems a popular spot.

But I can't work out what the thread is on it - it certainly doesnt fit anything in my (growing through mistaken purchases) box of fittings.

Dont think I know what manufacturer it is but its pretty standard/common - looks like this googled pic:

TIA

Stewart

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Andy

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 15:33:31 pm »

If it is an American part I would expect it to be  NPT thread .

1/4 npt is roughly 11-12mm internal diameter 3/8npt is about 15mm as a rough guide to see what you may have.
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 16:37:22 pm »

That thread looks way small for helping to vent the crankcase. Adapt a dash 8 (1/2") or dash 10 (5/8") or something decent otherwise you're wasting your time. Wink

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
richie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 18:37:47 pm »

That is 1/4 npt on that type block off

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
andy198712

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 23:55:21 pm »

That thread looks way small for helping to vent the crankcase. Adapt a dash 8 (1/2") or dash 10 (5/8") or something decent otherwise you're wasting your time. Wink

That’s what I did with my one of these, drilled it out and fitted up a an10 fitting, just fits between the bolt holes  Grin
StewRat

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:24:00 am »

Cool - that all makes sense.

I have several BSP hose tail fittings that work with the 1/2" hose I've got so I'll drill it out for that .

Thanks

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
StewRat

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 13:28:12 pm »

That’s what I did with my one of these, drilled it out and fitted up a an10 fitting, just fits between the bolt holes  Grin

Except that - having removed the plate now ... the hole underneath in the case is no bigger than the 1/4 NPT blank in the block off plate.
So without major surgery to enlarge that, it will be the limiting factor.

I'm looking at adding this in addition to breather connections from both rocker covers and the oil filler neck, trying to solve a problem where I am getting oil sprayed on inner wings after (say) 3rd run of the day but no obvious single source. And havent been able to replicate in the garage. Guessing at crankcase pressure combined with thinner hot oil.

leec

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 15:03:06 pm »

The only time I ever got oil spray from the engine was when I put too much oil in the engine and it came from the breather box breathers.
Maybe worth looking at where your oil is on the dipstick assuming you have a deep sump?

Lee
StewRat

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 17:00:08 pm »

The only time I ever got oil spray from the engine was when I put too much oil in the engine and it came from the breather box breathers.
Maybe worth looking at where your oil is on the dipstick assuming you have a deep sump?

Lee

Well that opens up a whole new can of worms Smiley

In that I am trying to work out just how much oil is circulating in any equivalence to a "standard' engine as measured at the dipstick.

With a remote filter and remote oil cooler and associated piping, its hard to work out how much of the at rest oil will be in transit through that system when running. So I tend to fill oil towards the top end of the "standard" markings to allow for that usage. If anything, I worry I dont have enough oil in circulation.

I dont have a deep sump currently .

Interested in your statement about your oil spray experience. From what I've read there is a real challenge around engine case pressure under race conditions, how to vent it, etc.

The StewRat is in a garage behind a row of houses so that does limit my testing due to noise. Maybe I should take the car to some remote location and do a few simulated full rev passes and see where the oil is coming from.

Stewart

leec

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 17:28:51 pm »

Sorry, didn't mean to open the can  Grin

I have an empi 3.5 litre sump, and I run the oil level so it literally just wets the bottom of the dipstick. When I over filled it it was well above wetting the dipstick bottom.

Thought I would mention it, as if your oil level was too high am upgrade on your current breathing system may not show any improvement

Lee
Martin S.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 17:46:10 pm »

A deep sump is a good idea on every VW engine. For a few bucks spent, you get a 'poor mans dry sump'. Most of the oil is moved to well below the crank where it is sheltered leaving less chance of the oil being thrown around.  Wink

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
richie

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 18:28:28 pm »

Except that - having removed the plate now ... the hole underneath in the case is no bigger than the 1/4 NPT blank in the block off plate.

I'm looking at adding this in addition to breather connections from both rocker covers and the oil filler neck, trying to solve a problem where I am getting oil sprayed on inner wings after (say) 3rd run of the day but no obvious single source. And havent been able to replicate in the garage. Guessing at crankcase pressure combined with thinner hot oil.

Is it a EFi case then? never seen normal case that didn't have much bigger hole than that, are you sure its case that's that size not fuel pump bakerlite stand or a hard gasket?

StewRat

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 18:36:37 pm »

Is it a EFi case then? never seen normal case that didn't have much bigger hole than that, are you sure its case that's that size not fuel pump bakerlite stand or a hard gasket?

The hole I refer to is definitely on the top plane of the case, not anything sitting on it. The block off plate is similarly flat bottomed to cover that hole. I've never worked on std engines, but I assume it is the hole the fuel pump pushrod rides up n down in.

As to the origins of the case, that is a whole other story. Suffice to say it has RaceShack machined into the sides which I didnt know when I bought it.

StewRat

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 18:38:35 pm »

A deep sump is a good idea on every VW engine. For a few bucks spent, you get a 'poor mans dry sump'. Most of the oil is moved to well below the crank where it is sheltered leaving less chance of the oil being thrown around.  Wink

Useful info - thanks - I have looked at deep sump but felt the extra depth was pretty minimal.

Guess it renders the dipstick even more useless ? Smiley

Edit - sorry, missed LEEC's comment on oil fill with deep sump.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 18:48:30 pm by StewRat » Logged

richie

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 20:17:34 pm »

So nothing like this?

StewRat

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 21:08:14 pm »

So nothing like this?

No! To right of distributor hole, flat area top of case and a small circular hole that roughly equates to the 11mm or so the block off blank has.

Dammit - looking back at my spreadsheet I understood this to be a CB "super race case" it was ready for 94mm cylinders, clearanced, and though I forget the details now had the gusseting etc of a stronger case. But looking at pics online now I cannot see a case that has the small pushrod sized hole that mine has. And thats just googling cases, not even performance cases!!

Humph, not sure what is going on here now, will revisit tomorrow and double check I'm not going mad.

StewRat

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 21:36:15 pm »

Having said that

ahem

I just found a pic of my case that suggests there is a bigger hole there.

Car is in garage a few miles away and in my defence I nipped in quickly today to remove the block off - and could swear I was surprised to see the small hole underneath.

But I need to go back tomorrow and check all this before digging myself a bigger "hole".

DaveN

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 21:45:18 pm »

There’s a picture of your crankcase in your build up thread. it has the big hole where the stock fuel pump should be
StewRat

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 10:10:36 am »

There’s a picture of your crankcase in your build up thread. it has the big hole where the stock fuel pump should be

Yeah thats the one I found - but I need to get to the car today to reconcile that with what I believe I saw yesterday. I could swear I was looking at the top surface of the crankcase but can only assume there is some extra plate there. But it was a flying visit, and neither memory or eyesight are what they used to be!

DaveN

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 10:33:10 am »

You probably were looking at the gasket that has a small hole for fuel pump rod
StewRat

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 13:36:13 pm »

I've been able to check now and I only have 2 things to say:

1. Which of you left that gasket there? And made it all shiny so it looked like the crankcase metal. You may think it's funny but it's not big and it's not clever. You only let yourself down with this kind of prank.

2. If you need glasses to see properly, then WEAR them. Especially in half light.

I hope we've all learned something from this, in which case I will say no more about it.

Stewart

andy198712

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 16:17:27 pm »

I've been able to check now and I only have 2 things to say:

1. Which of you left that gasket there? And made it all shiny so it looked like the crankcase metal. You may think it's funny but it's not big and it's not clever. You only let yourself down with this kind of prank.

2. If you need glasses to see properly, then WEAR them. Especially in half light.

I hope we've all learned something from this, in which case I will say no more about it.

Stewart

Grin
Martin S.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 17:20:48 pm »

Buddy's wife was having trouble getting a plug into a port in the back of his Mac Pro. So she got out the electric drill...   Tongue

Martin S.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 16:23:04 pm »

Here is a picture of my fuel pump block off with -8 fitting attached.
It is for the turbo oil drain on my engine, but you get the idea.
Use -10 for venting or as big as possible.

StewRat

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 12:11:08 pm »

Thanks Martin - and for your separate note.

So phase 2 of this thread may turn into an AN tutorial ...

I haven't used AN fittings anywhere so far, and in spite of a good deal of reading on the subject, I'm still a bit confused on some points. For example:

Can AN fittings only be used with braided hose? As I understand it if you have the correct DASH-X where X translates to the OD of your hose it should fit? But will it work? I think AN hose end fittings have (left-handed) threads to cut into and secure the hose/pipe. Does that work on say std non braided oil/fuel hose? Or does it only work on metal (braid).

In this current example - where we are looking to essentially attach a hose via AN fitting to a plate - is this done by 1) threading the plate, or 2) by securing/sealing from behind?
If 1) Is this a std straight thread (albeit bigger than I currently have in tap set) or do I need an "AN" tap? And how many threads required to be sealed? I suspect not enough thickness in my plate.
If 2) I guess it would have to be secured and sealed and then ground down as back nut won't fit into the (even larger) hole in the block.

Sorry for all the questions - this is what happens when "knowledge workers" start working on cars. Too many basic gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks!

Stewart

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: