The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:50:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Winter projects...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Winter projects...  (Read 23059 times)
baz

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 21:35:33 pm »

Vws have taken a back seat while I build me a house, or more importantly a garage with a house attached.

Now you see it

Now you don't

Building starts proper at xmas

I will prevail.
henk

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 21:38:06 pm »

Should be the last winter on this,almost finished.

Henk!!!

beetletom

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 00:43:15 am »

Vws have taken a back seat while I build me a house, or more importantly a garage with a house attached.

Now you see it

Now you don't

Wow! Where?s this?
Have you moved back to Ireland?

What happened to the bug?
Fiatdude

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 05:55:12 am »

I've gotten the shop finished and heat installed. What I've decided to do is pull the engine, find that damn oil leak from hell, replace all the engine and surrounding tin, and tear apart the top end and get rid on those damn 3/8 cylinder spacers and pulling some compression out of it.....

And I've been trying to make a decision between:

(A) Doing the Mike Lawless coil over rear end narrowing project so I can get some bigger tires and some traction, or:

(B) Pulling the turbo off and just driving it NA.... (and yes I know, NA sucks LOL)

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
baz

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

Now you see it

Now you don't

Wow! Where?s this?

Yep moved home in July, wanna take a step back from the rat race and retrain myself so hopefully once the house is built I can put ideas into actions.
Bug is still in London, going over with a box van before Xmas to gather it all up

I will prevail.
StewRat

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 18:16:40 pm »

Priority #1 is fit double valve springs which I think/hope/pray will solve most/all my recurring problems.

Then either replace/upgrade DRLAs or invest in sorting them out once and for all (if there is such a thing).

And a deep sump.

And fit DTH drip tray.

And get line loc working properly.

And ...

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Neil Davies

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 21:18:59 pm »

I've gotten the shop finished and heat installed. What I've decided to do is pull the engine, find that damn oil leak from hell, replace all the engine and surrounding tin, and tear apart the top end and get rid on those damn 3/8 cylinder spacers and pulling some compression out of it.....

(A) Doing the Mike Lawless coil over rear end narrowing project so I can get some bigger tires and some traction, or:

(B) Pulling the turbo off and just driving it NA.... (and yes I know, NA sucks LOL)

How much do you use the car? What do you use it for? How close is your nearest drag strip now? I like the Mike Lawless conversion but I seem to remember you talking about autocrossing the car at some point?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
brewsy

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 21:23:27 pm »

Yep moved home in July, wanna take a step back from the rat race and retrain myself so hopefully once the house is built I can put ideas into actions.
Bug is still in London, going over with a box van before Xmas to gather it all up
Have you got a garage in London? Can I have it??  Wink Grin
beetletom

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 22:44:24 pm »

Now you see it

Now you don't

Wow! Where?s this?

Wow good luck with it all!

If you want a hand loading it up, give me a shout, as I?m back in that area again

Would your old landlord rent out half of the garage? As I need somewhere to store my 67 over winter!
Fiatdude

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 01:42:10 am »

How much do you use the car? What do you use it for? How close is your nearest drag strip now? I like the Mike Lawless conversion but I seem to remember you talking about autocrossing the car at some point?

I've been auto crossing the heck out of the car since moving back to Missouri with a track/parking lot about 30 minutes away (and they race there almost every weekend) and having a lot of fun doing it.... The 2 drag strips I've got are about 1.5 to 2 hours away in opposite directions (NHRA track in Rogersville, MO (hosted a day of the rocky mountain speed week) and MoKan in Asbury, MO)? IF I leave the turbo on, I need more tire whether I'm drag racing, auto xing or even just driving it down the street. So, it's just a matter deciding which direction I want to go with the car...Huh.or if I can have fun with less HP than I'm use to....LOL

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

baz

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 11:07:49 am »

Now you see it

Now you don't

Wow! Where?s this?

Wow good luck with it all!

If you want a hand loading it up, give me a shout, as I?m back in that area again

Would your old landlord rent out half of the garage? As I need somewhere to store my 67 over winter!

Thanks Tom may take you up on that offer if I get there and find nobody home to help.

I tried renting the garage for years, landlord wasn't having it though, shame as room for 4 cars comfortably and pretty secure too.
Your only option is to rent a room in his house and commandeer the garage while you're there 😁

I will prevail.
Martin S.

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2018, 23:04:14 pm »

You should look at my combo for streetable power. If you drove it you?d know what i mean about a smooth tractable power band. It?s got the right cam, along with the right compression chambers valve size and right boost.

I've been auto crossing the heck out of the car since moving back to Missouri with a track/parking lot about 30 minutes away (and they race there almost every weekend) and having a lot of fun doing it.... The 2 drag strips I've got are about 1.5 to 2 hours away in opposite directions (NHRA track in Rogersville, MO (hosted a day of the rocky mountain speed week) and MoKan in Asbury, MO)? IF I leave the turbo on, I need more tire whether I'm drag racing, auto xing or even just driving it down the street. So, it's just a matter deciding which direction I want to go with the car...Huh.or if I can have fun with less HP than I'm use to....LOL

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Fiatdude

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 00:49:18 am »

I've got a Laufer's mystery cam in it right now --- and three more on the shelf. So when I get tore down I'll make a decision on what's going to happen...

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

karl h

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 08:16:11 am »

i thought i could just slowly finish my 63, but no, i had to buy this  Tongue

richie

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 09:10:09 am »

i thought i could just slowly finish my 63, but no, i had to buy this  Tongue

Karl its like a disease Cheesy Grin 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
karl h

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 11:05:19 am »

i know, i am sick since 1983  Grin

richie

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2018, 19:18:43 pm »

i know, i am sick since 1983  Grin

Cheesy

Neil Davies

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 07:23:10 am »

I'm doing my best to infect the youth with the Cal Look sickness too! We're getting a '71 1200 to restore at school, and we've already got most of a 15-second 1641 motor to go in it. It's going to take a while, but hopefully it fires up the next generation of car enthusiasts.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
richie

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:03 am »

I'm doing my best to infect the youth with the Cal Look sickness too! We're getting a '71 1200 to restore at school, and we've already got most of a 15-second 1641 motor to go in it. It's going to take a while, but hopefully it fires up the next generation of car enthusiasts.

Good effort, its has to help Cool

andrewlandon67

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 19:17:53 pm »

Sounds like a good use of your winter! Hopefully you'll end up with a nice and quick little late looker!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2018, 09:49:08 am »

Try to do this over the winter.

- New Engine
- Rear disk brakes
- Short swing axles

But sometimes time is in the way.

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Steve67

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 18:51:02 pm »

I  converting my 67 to 12 Volts and try to finish my 1776 single port engine until spring.
Also I'm thinking of Pedrini wheels instead of the Rivieras for a change.

Gesendet von meinem EVA-L09 mit Tapatalk

Garrick Clark

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 20:55:01 pm »

My winter project is fitting a dub shop micro squirt kit to my 67 bug.
The dizzy just has to go.

Air cooled Engine builder
DaveN

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2019, 21:22:56 pm »

Got bored doing nothing over winter and fitted this in my bug

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

leec

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 22:04:37 pm »

Bus box? Irs as well?
Lee
alex d

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:44 am »

Rebuild the ( stock)fastback's engine, while still hoarding parts for an eventual big engine for the 67

well, in the end the stock rebuild will not be that stock anymore, 88s and a cheater cam should wake up a little the poor engine pushing a heavy late type 3 with a slushbox, I willl be able to outrun those mopeds at the stop light finally Grin
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
DaveN

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2019, 21:51:22 pm »

Bus box? Irs as well?
Lee

No got mine back from Peter and fitted it so I can move the car.

Bus box is Danny’s new spare for little Lizzy I picked up for him while I was there
Neil Davies

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2019, 22:02:47 pm »

Bus box? Irs as well?
Lee

No got mine back from Peter and fitted it so I can move the car.

Bus box is Danny’s new spare for little Lizzy I picked up for him while I was there

That was a bit of a tease!

I've not touched my car at all over the winter,  but I have been busy - the school project Beetle has been delivered to school, the body has been cut free of the floorpan and the pan is in the process of being stripped down ready for soda blasting and new pan halves.
Unfortunately the latest photos are on my new phone which I dropped and broke while breaking up a fight at school on Friday...

richie

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 17:10:17 pm »

Nothing really Cal look based but they still are all aircooled VW  Smiley
Spare time at moment is used on trying to finish this 1303 I picked up couple years ago but didn't start on until this summer, so far it has gone from stock to not quite so stock, plan is a "normal looking beetle with nice wheels" to anyone that doesn't really know any better Wink then IRS my daily 67 cabrio as I got a good deal on a better geared IRS box with ZF fitted Cool and also race car is getting new rear suspension as well which means also turbo & dry sump tank has to be moved so new intake and exhaust fabrication & bunch of other small stuff that's in way Roll Eyes Shocked

Part one on my list is just about done, 1st start up today and cam burn done Grin  Going to upset some locals & there "fast" modern cars with this as my daily Shocked Cheesy Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQnuDTanyjU&feature=share

Neil Davies

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 20:45:25 pm »

Richie Webb builds a car without Gasburners? Has hell frozen over? Shocked

Seriously, not what I expected from you at all until the engine view! Then it all made sense! And you know what? I really rather like it...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: