The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 21:22:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  EARLY DKP style cars.....(pre-Aronson '63 style)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: EARLY DKP style cars.....(pre-Aronson '63 style)  (Read 66548 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2006, 09:25:34 am »

waouwwwww very impressive picture  , but is it possible to post them with big format ,there are small when we watch them  Roll Eyes thanks jim  Wink
here's sarge car  is it correct that john lazenby nicknamed your car "apalusa"
 pict from the bible

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 09:31:13 am »

jim & sarge what do you thinks about my car??? has she the correct stance to be a pré cal-look Huh she 's just a little dropped , it's a 61 standard
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:55:30 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 09:33:16 am »

another pict from my car  Roll Eyes

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 09:35:21 am »

Grin at that time  have you seen a  pré cal look with  empi/speedwell sprintkit?Huh

ESH

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 21:31:03 pm »

Here's another of Rocket-Racing's Bug, I just posted it on another thread but what the hell, it's a sweet looking car! I'll get you some hotel information...

JS

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 21:41:24 pm »

I finaly got the chance to check out this car last weekend, what a great car! It´s all in the details...
The plan is to get it a little bit higher in the back if i´m not mistaken.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 12:14:05 pm by JS » Logged

Signature.
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 21:38:36 pm »

Thanks for the compliments on the car!
It's not quite finished yet, still lots of plans that hasn't been carried out. Mostly details, but it also needs a vintage tuned engine.
And you are totally right JS, it will be raised a little in the rear. It was just the way I wanted it this spring, but the suspension has set after a summer of driving and made it a little too low.

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 17:13:53 pm »

jim & srage what do you thinks about my car??? has she the correct stance to be a pré cal-look Huh she 's just a little dropped , it's a 61 standard
For the real early look, you need to junk the EMPI-style decklid and those T-bars. Stock decklid and no bumpers, glasspack muffler, then you're getting closer! Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 01:23:08 am »

its gotta be a White glasspack though  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
simon uk

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 14:44:47 pm »

cool thread, When I saw Speedwells car in Volksworld I nearly had a trouser accident, it is awesome.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 21:27:16 pm »

thanks for this words simon what car have you?(picture)?

gibber!

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2007, 12:47:07 pm »

Wow! There are some nice cars here...!

I'm new to this forum, but thought that I'd share some pictures of my car.... some of you may have seen them on other forums.
I was also inspired by the pre-Aronson cars when I came to do my '67, Jim Holmes' car in particular:

So this is how the '67 ended up:

I've also got some 'Blue Streaks' for the rear, but have yet to find a pair of wheels I can afford to mount 'em to.

G-out!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2007, 19:19:12 pm »

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2007, 19:36:30 pm »

Wink

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2007, 19:38:56 pm »

Oh dear! I just had a trouser accident guys  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 23:02:18 pm »

Here's another of Rocket-Racing's Bug, I just posted it on another thread but what the hell, it's a sweet looking car! I'll get you some hotel information...

A little pre-cal update to bump this tread once again... The 57 just got new shoes on the rear to match the fronts..

Turtle001

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 23:11:20 pm »

thatz hot anders!!!!! i luv it!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 23:20:31 pm »

very nice project
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 23:43:25 pm »

Heres My Early Cal Look 64 Bettle

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 03:08:05 am »

Man, what a great thread!  I love seeing all those old shots and the new one's made to look old!   Grin

Man I love that stuff! Wink  Sarge, you gotta love the tribute... Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Oldschool

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 21:19:17 pm »

I'm just lovin' it!!!  Grin

It's too cool to see great pictures from the past that captures the first spirit of Cal Look cars  Roll Eyes

Greg Aronson's Oval definitely defines this period, well that's just my opinion!  Cheesy

Oldschool

Quality not Quantity...
johnl

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 16:39:10 pm »

waouwwwww very impressive picture  , but is it possible to post them with big format ,there are small when we watch them  Roll Eyes thanks jim  Wink
here's sarge car  is it correct that john lazenby nicknamed your car "apalusa"
 pict from the bible

No it was Jim (Sarge) himself that came up with the name.  I believe it was due to some wear marks in the original paint that prompted such.

John Lazenby

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 21:49:54 pm »

Don't know about you guys, but personally, I am enamored withthe style of the very early DKP cars.....cars like Ron Fleming's black oval when it had the ET mags and big Goodyears and stock height, Don Crane's red '67 (one of my very favorite cars ever)...Dave Dolan's '67...

I love the look of the stock height, and the 356 wheels (no hubcap), or ET mags or BRMs, stock moldings, the sign-writing on the decklid and fenders....can't really put my finger on why I dig these very early lookers so much, but I always have...

I wonder why this style isn't replicated today, like the "lowered' style is?

I'd love to find a nice '64 sunroof and replicate the look of these early cars....

Anybody else's thoughts?  Smiley

Actually our current '63 sedan that we've owned since 1981 does look like the pre Aronson.  It is black with all of the trim, Porsche 5.5 chrome wheels with stock caps sitting a stock height.  I did build a 1600 d/p motor with stock exhaust and have retained it all of these years.  Also switched to 12 volts way back.  Other than that the car is original and I enjoy it that way.  Always get lots of looks and positive comments when I take it out. 

You don't see a lot of VW's on the road like back in my younger days, so when you do see a nice one it always catches your eye.  I can vividly remember when they were the most common vehicle on the road and then when the To#¤ta and Datsuns started appearing we had no idea that they would take over completely.

John Lazenby

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 21:59:17 pm »

John, I have a question about your black Beetle. At the latter end of the DKP 1 reunion video, where the vintage photos and 8mm ends, a second chapter opens, this time video taped, and I think it opens with a black Beetle being driven into a park over near Imperial Highway in Yorba Linda. Super clean from what I can tell (only see interior from footage). I always wondered who's car that was. So.....is that your car?

Looks like you guys had fun at the reunion. I remember when the Hot VWs article came out covering it. Too cool.

Thanks John,

Jim
johnl

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 23:00:59 pm »

I hope this isn't the second one on this I've sent.  Got disturbed by work, honestly the nerve of some people !!

The DKP1 reunion some 20 years ago in Yorba Linda was shot by my friend Ske who used our camera.  There were many copies made from that and were give out.  I haven't looked at it in years, but need to.

My guess is that the Black car coming into the area is me in our current Black '63.  Does the car sit a stock height with chrome wheels?  If so I'm sure it is me and the car looks the same today.

That was a very speical gathering for me as it was the only time since the beginning of the club that Pete Dayton, Gary (Mike) Huggins and myself were at a VW event.  We were the three that started it way back in 1964.  I'm still in contact with both today, but I'm the only one of the three still involved with the cars.  The three of us met in Junior High and Anaheim and have remained friends since about 1960.

Also at that event was Joe Schneider of Schneider Motors who was very good to the club in the early days.  Last was Pat Stutsman who owned Anchor Muffler where all of our exhaust work was done.

To tell you what that event meant to me.  When you entered the park you had to pay an admission and were given a ticket.  That ticket is still stuffed in the front of the Black VW's headliner.  Actually I had two events going the same day as there was a large Chrysler show at the Doubletree hotel in Orange.  We had two or three cars there as well, but I couldn't miss this one.

I may go home tonight and try to find the tape and watch it.  Probably will be scarey as I remember how old I thought everyone looked then and now they will look ever so young!!

John Lazenby

Rocket-Racing

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2009, 23:50:25 pm »

Another cool pre-cal car  Smiley

gibber!

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 23:57:09 pm »

Cool...!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Jim Ratto

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2009, 00:17:00 am »

Cool
Sarge

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 00:40:00 am »

Them "Stones" are gearbox killers... not to mention slug like starts from a stop light.  They DO look cool, though! Cool

DKP III
Fritter

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2009, 05:12:33 am »

Another cool pre-cal car  Smiley

Whoa, this one is very cool.  Do you know any more details on it?  Looks like a '64....

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: