The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:57:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Hot rod drag week 2019, 2 x aircooled turbo VWs at least
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Hot rod drag week 2019, 2 x aircooled turbo VWs at least  (Read 55785 times)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32:12 am »

drill the rocks to squirt oil at the springs? are they bushed rockers?

Wink

Grin Cool, hope it works properly

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 14:03:26 pm »

Oil-cooled GSXRs have it Ritchie, works very well.
Maybe a small length of small diameter (brake line was a good idea) with a banjo bolt screwed thru the centre top of the rocker cover.
I also thought running a steel line between the rockers and the springs under the pivot area, but those springs are much bigger than stk, might not fit there.
richie

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 17:30:07 pm »

Maybe a small length of small diameter (brake line was a good idea) with a banjo bolt screwed thru the centre top of the rocker cover.
I also thought running a steel line between the rockers and the springs under the pivot area, but those springs are much bigger than stk, might not fit there.

Going to see how what I have done works and if its good enough leave it alone but if not then this is similar to next idea i will try Smiley

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 18:03:40 pm »

This is the solution John Brewster used to cure the valve seizing problem on the original Scat split-port heads he ran on Street Lethal back in about 1988/89. It worked well and was simple to expedite.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
NoBars

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 19:13:39 pm »

Incorporate sprayers in the valve covers.

E 85 is available from pump 2 miles from dinwiddie track. I live about 20 miles away. If you need a VP E85 it’s available about 5 mikes from my house.

As I told you Richie, anything I can do to help don’t hesitate to ask. I can store stuff, have mil,l lathe and tig in shop.

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
richie

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 20:22:35 pm »

This is the solution John Brewster used to cure the valve seizing problem on the original Scat split-port heads he ran on Street Lethal back in about 1988/89. It worked well and was simple to expedite.

Cool

richie

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 20:23:54 pm »

Incorporate sprayers in the valve covers.

E 85 is available from pump 2 miles from dinwiddie track. I live about 20 miles away. If you need a VP E85 it’s available about 5 mikes from my house.

As I told you Richie, anything I can do to help don’t hesitate to ask. I can store stuff, have mil,l lathe and tig in shop.

Thanks Anthony, good to know & appreciate that, we are already planning a visit to see what secrets you got there Cheesy Grin

baz

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 15:58:27 pm »

Wink

I've done this on my scat 1.4s, are your squirter holes open full time or just full lift? I'm considering making mine squirt only at full lift, my thinking is it will help maintain oil film on shaft and provide better squirt pressure when open.

I will prevail.
Andrew

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »

Good luck!
richie

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 17:22:19 pm »

Wink

I've done this on my scat 1.4s, are your squirter holes open full time or just full lift? I'm considering making mine squirt only at full lift, my thinking is it will help maintain oil film on shaft and provide better squirt pressure when open.

How will you control it so its only open at full lift? I am not sure how that could be achieved, so far we just added a oiling hole to squirt onto springs & guides/valve stems and at moment am modifying shafts to get the oil from feed hole to shafts round to outlet hole

cheers Richie

wph

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 20:39:59 pm »

I'd say concentrate on cooling the valve springs. Google "spintron testing" and see for valvesprings getting smoking hot in seconds while getting a light oil splash cooling.
Get the heat out of springs and the rest of the top end follows helping to keep the oil film intact between loaded metal surfaces.

richie

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 19:47:06 pm »

Both cars had a little test on sunday, Steve was working on launch control and trying a new rear tyre and I was testing gearbox mainly as had tps fail so no boost control

Steve D.

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 00:20:26 am »

Like Richie said, I was out there to try out a different tire and some launch control strategies.  Since it's a beetle there really isn't any good way to bring along a second pair of wheels/tires to swap out at the track, so I want to try and do the whole week on one set which means I needed something D.O.T. approved.  I had a few issues, but by the third pass I ended up with a decent starting point for Drag Week 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6zhuwNTkM

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Catbox

Slave to internal combustion.

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 18:56:30 pm »

Nice run and an excellent car...
 Grin
Steve D.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2019, 16:52:44 pm »

Six weeks to go and there's been some progress on my end.  I wanted to give this year a full faith effort so I pulled the engine for a refresh/really good look at everything.

Good news is everything looked good.  Bearings looked new, and cam/lifters were perfect.  As long as it was apart, I figured I'd give it a little treat here and there.

Bearings went to Calico to get coated- I've never had an issue without it, but it seems to help out a lot when things go wrong.

Fresh set of rings with a little more end gap- Ring gap was fine for the power I wanted to make with this combination, but we greatly exceeded that number when it went on the dyno.

Cylinder heads looked great, just having them serviced so I know they've got a clean bill of health.

Shortblock is all back together, just need cylinder heads back and I can finish this of and stuff it back in the car.

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2019, 20:52:38 pm »

So your laundry is like an engine on stand and one on the floor?  Grin Grin
Can't wait to follow drag week on the live stream!
richie

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2019, 21:09:04 pm »

Six weeks to go and there's been some progress on my end.  I wanted to give this year a full faith effort so I pulled the engine for a refresh/really good look at everything.

Good news is everything looked good.  Bearings looked new, and cam/lifters were perfect.  As long as it was apart, I figured I'd give it a little treat here and there.

Bearings went to Calico to get coated- I've never had an issue without it, but it seems to help out a lot when things go wrong.

Fresh set of rings with a little more end gap- Ring gap was fine for the power I wanted to make with this combination, but we greatly exceeded that number when it went on the dyno.

Cylinder heads looked great, just having them serviced so I know they've got a clean bill of health.

Shortblock is all back together, just need cylinder heads back and I can finish this of and stuff it back in the car.

Cool  Wish I had a month to get it all ready and not just a few days!!!

Steve D.

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2019, 21:24:22 pm »

Cool  Wish I had a month to get it all ready and not just a few days!!!

You know where the airport is, I'll even pick you up!  Smiley

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Steve D.

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 03:25:34 am »

So your laundry is like an engine on stand and one on the floor?  Grin Grin

The one on the stand is Plan A, the old nitrous engine on the floor is somewhere around Plan C.  Smiley

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
richie

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2019, 19:43:04 pm »

4 weeks today and we will be in line at tech, only a few things to do, both cars and engines are still in pieces Shocked and i am still in the wrong country Angry

nicolas

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 06:33:22 am »

i am still in the wrong country Angry

looks more and more like it  Grin Grin Grin

good luck!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:50:26 pm by nicolas » Logged
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 20:05:30 pm »

We all need a bit of pressure to bust our ass, isn't it? Wink
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 10:21:29 am »

looks more an more like it  Grin Grin Grin

Good one!  Cheesy

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
richie

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:59 am »

looks more an more like it  Grin Grin Grin

Good one!  Cheesy

Solved that problem Wink

Steve D.

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2019, 20:18:02 pm »

Heads are back with a clean bill of health.

Been busy this morning.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Stopped for lunch, just need to install the exhaust and the spinny bit then it's time to add oil and light this off.  Smiley

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
andy198712

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2019, 22:23:49 pm »

Wow, got a build thread?
Steve D.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2019, 23:53:03 pm »

An anticlimactic end to the day- turns out I'm out of break in oil so it's not going to be making any noise tonight.

Wow, got a build thread?

Sorry, no.  I think the few pictures I've put up on this thread are the only ones I've ever posted.  Anything in particular you want a better look at?

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 07:13:25 am »

It looks like you are soon ready for the big event Steve. E85 and no intercooler? What intake temperatures do you see after a full boost run?

Keep the pictures coming!

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
volkskris

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 21:33:46 pm »

An anticlimactic end to the day- turns out I'm out of break in oil so it's not going to be making any noise tonight.

Wow, got a build thread?

Sorry, no.  I think the few pictures I've put up on this thread are the only ones I've ever posted.  Anything in particular you want a better look at?
I want to see everything about your car  Cheesy looks impressive!
Steve D.

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2019, 03:24:12 am »

It looks like you are soon ready for the big event Steve. E85 and no intercooler? What intake temperatures do you see after a full boost run?

If you use a thermosister to measure IAT it's not great, if you use a good sensor it gets worse!  I just don't have the space for an intercooler without cutting up the car, so I've just been really conservative with the tune until I get my head around these intake temps and what it wants for timing/fuel.

I want to see everything about your car  Cheesy looks impressive!

Thank you.  Stephan did an article on the car for Hot VW's, so there's a pretty good look at it in the August 2019 issue- you should be able to get back issues direct from Hot VW's.

While I was waiting on parts I added a few sensors, so I ended up spending longer than I wanted getting everything set up and configured, but it runs now.  Just a few small things to button up but we're definitely closing in on something!

Über Alles

10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: