The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:53:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Red Zeppelin 67
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Red Zeppelin 67  (Read 94808 times)
jay c

« on: April 21, 2019, 20:43:31 pm »

Hi lounge people and fellow cal look enthusiasts. Some of you may already have seen my Red Zeppelin 67 bug but i've been meaning to come on here for a while to share some of the photos and words of the blood,sweat and tears me and my brother (Matty C on the lounge) went through to build my dream car. It was all made more difficult as most of it was done in a tiny council single lock up garage in East London that you couldn't even park a Ford mondeo in and close the door. It was originally just going to be a quick rub down and blow over with some cellulose india red taking a couple of months but got a little out of control. 6 years of weekends out of control.
Heres a couple of pics of the before and after to get started. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Flc

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:31:54 am »

Nice 😎 really enjoyed the feature in ultra vw, do you have any pictures of the dash vent delete that you did?
jay c

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:42:32 pm »

Thank you. Paul did a really nice feature in ultra. I’m going to try to put to pics up in order so I will get to the dash vents. We did them fairly early into the build so shouldn’t be too long.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 15:36:04 pm »

Sweet! This is definitely gonna be a thread worth keeping up with, the Ultra VW feature was the first I'd ever seen of the car, and it absolutely blew me away.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
jay c

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 16:34:07 pm »

Thanks Andrew. Been to a few shows since it was finished but hope to use it a lot more now
jay c

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 21:22:36 pm »

I bought the car about 20 years ago as an unmolested ruby red 1300 delux. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
It was my daily driver for a couple of years, adding bits as and when I could afford it (bucket seats, grant woodrim, berg shifter) [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 21:36:39 pm »

I lowered the front and bought some genuine 4.5 and 5.5 early Fuchs. You couldn't get one wheel now for what i paid for the whole set. Although they had been sandblasted so needed loads of flatting and polishing. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
then came a nice 1776cc with IDA's and it stayed like that for a few years occasionally getting a thrashing down the strip [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Over at North Weald alongside Ian clarks split WPS racer and Lee Maynards choptop. Talk about punching above your weight [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
brewsy

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 21:56:48 pm »

Nice one Jay.
I love the UK spec 67's in Ruby Red so much I bought one too!!

In the aircraft hangar, how did you get Aaron Kaufman from Gas Monkey Garage to come all the way over to the UK then??  Grin

Cant see the front and dont get UVW but do you still have slopers or did you go for US spec 67's?

Cheers
Marc
jay c

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 22:03:58 pm »

Cheers dude. Was going to have sloping headlights but changed my mind about 3/4 of the way through the build and went upright for the U.S 67 look. Not the first time I’ve been called Aaron lol
andrewlandon67

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:33 am »

What a nice looking little car, even in its earliest days! I'd love for my '67 to look about like that at some point!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
vwhelmot

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 11:54:37 am »

About time we saw a build thread on this beautiful looker. Nice one.
jay c

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 21:34:18 pm »

i'd booked the car in with Andy Robinson race cars to have a roll cage fitted, but there was a bit of a waiting list so while i was waiting we started to strip the car down and soon realised that under the paint things were not as solid as we thought. Among other things, one of the heater channels was going to need replacing before the cage could be fitted. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
jay c

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 21:46:11 pm »

The only heater channels available then were bad repro early ones or you could get genuine late channels. Late channels were quite different but we decided to go with the late (better quality) one and Matty modified it to an early one. We'd never done anything this major before but thought we'd give it a go..... [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 21:57:45 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Now the foundations were a bit more solid it was off to Andy Robinson for the cage [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 22:06:11 pm »

The cage was welded to the heater channels and also bolted down to the pan so the cage and body could still be seperated from the pan. It was also welded to the frame horns and had joining plates for body removal [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 22:10:35 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
vwhelmot

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 07:35:41 am »

Distinct lack of updates going on here.
jay c

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 21:09:48 pm »

Sorry bout that Lyndon. Laptops working again.
Some rust and bad repairs in the usual places like the spare wheel well and front valance. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 21:21:37 pm »

Nos spare wheel well panel [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
we also remade the bumper brackets 5mm narrower so that the T-bars sit bang in the middle of the valance slots. T-bars normally will sit very slightly off center due to being thicker than standard bumper irons [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 21:30:56 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 21:46:03 pm »

Small modifications to the nos front valance. Will probably go mostly unnoticed when finished [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
vwhelmot

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 23:05:10 pm »

Considering it’s a UK car, it wasn’t in bad condition!  Some great ideas and details going on. Kudos 😎👍
jay c

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 22:23:41 pm »

Not too bad for a UK car but still had some pretty rough areas..Found a pic from under the valance/spare wheel well. Looks like i might have scraped a few speed bumps as well [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 22:30:24 pm »

with the heater channel done i could get the repair to the inner wing done [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 23:03:14 pm »

Moving to the back, the rear valance needed to come off as it was to be made removable and the rear bumper hangers needed sorting out [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 23:08:50 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 23:13:42 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
vwhelmot

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 23:40:50 pm »

You put earlier style bumper hangers on because they are lighter yeah?!  Grin
jay c

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 23:52:10 pm »

Yes exactly that. Nothing to do with no one making 67 only panels lol
vwhelmot

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31:52 am »

Grin
Repairs look really nice mate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »