The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 02:19:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350824 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My new car for next year......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: My new car for next year......  (Read 153423 times)
Adele AW

« on: November 07, 2007, 22:35:58 pm »

Thought id make the most of my 3rd post on here and bore you guys about my new car that i hope to be racing next year!

We have not really mentioned too much about it as nothing ever goes to plan, but its a 1958 Sedan, bought as a 'solid' car and even though i know what too look for this got the better of us!

It needs quite a fair bit of welding and is currently being treated to the full monty by a guy local to us Jon King.

We have a 'niceee' motor on order from Pat Downs which should be with us in a couple of months 2332 with 51.5 IDA's  Grin

The car is also booked in with Chris Issacs in April for a full cage with funny car style driver surround along with wheelie bars and mini wing! The seats are also being built into the cage! Smiley

The rear wings and back end will be removeable with Dzus fasteners (Like the brown WPK Split Bug)

The front wheels are Weld Alumastars and the rear Erco Star cuts with M&H rear slicks and front runners and we also have lightweight Strange Engineering disc brakes all round.

The whole idea of this car is so that Steve has a car he can 'Show' and i have a car i can race! It will also carry that all important MOT Smiley

We are hopeing that the car will run 11's so that we can run in SPRC Pro ET (11.99 and lower index) and a bit of Powderpuff racing!

Pics below are how the car looked when it was on the road a couple of months ago and then how it looked just before it went to Jons!

Mmm my favourite wheels Smiley (Sorry about rubbish pic, taken on Kitchen floor!)

Spot the rust!  Roll Eyes (I have a habit of poking!)

If anyone is interested you can follow the progress on our blog below Smiley

http://stripteaseracing.blogspot.com/

O/FF 621
richie

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 22:40:25 pm »

2 things:

Wheelie bars?HuhHuh??

And mini wing?HuhHuhHuh??

Shocked

cheers richie,uk

PS It should be cool when its done,keep up the good work

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
SteveW

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 22:59:22 pm »

2 things:

Wheelie bars?HuhHuh??

And mini wing?HuhHuhHuh??

Shocked

cheers richie,uk

PS It should be cool when its done,keep up the good work

2 Things.. I have a Husband that says i have too!  Roll Eyes

Also, if i faced the Wheelies you have pulled in the past, i dont think i would be able to shut my mouth let alone carry on for another 1/4 of a mile  Shocked

Smiley

(Oops logged in as Steve)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 23:04:48 pm by SteveW » Logged

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Prowagen

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 23:55:23 pm »

Good luck with the build Adele and Steve, Can't wait to see the car when done, have you got an exact date you are aiming to debut???

Rob.
SteveW

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 10:39:07 am »

Hey Rob! How's it going?!

We're aiming for the Main Event for shakedown passes and then rest of the year just putting it through it's paces before going for proper paint next october time! Depending on how Adele's back is doing it might be me on driving duties (or Spencer Tramm if he gets in the seat before me  Shocked Grin ) After its fully painted and detailed I'd like to debut it at the Volksworld Show in March 09. This is where the show geek in me comes out  Wink

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 19:43:50 pm »

What is a mini wing? as Richie will tell you wings are for birds. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
richie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 20:12:57 pm »

Doh  Homer!!!!!!!!!!!

It obviously a wing of a mini Shocked Not sure if its that BMW one or of the older Austin mini,anyone know?

And where are you going to fit it?

cheers richie,uk

58vw

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 20:57:05 pm »

nice car...great year Grin good luck with the build...finished mine in october this year raced las vegas and drag day....then a little trip down the freeway and boom..tranny goes bye bye...irs here i come...

like the color also and the wheels...cool Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
AntLockyer

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 21:42:11 pm »

good luck.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Adele AW

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 21:44:00 pm »

Doh  Homer!!!!!!!!!!!

It obviously a wing of a mini Shocked Not sure if its that BMW one or of the older Austin mini,anyone know?

And where are you going to fit it?

cheers richie,uk

Roll Eyes  Smiley

Actually i was thinking more along the lines of this... What do you think? Suitable?

58VW, Thanks Smiley

O/FF 621
AntLockyer

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 21:46:08 pm »

The one that Dad used to have on the red car looked to be fairly useful and didn't look too bad. I'll try and find a pic.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Adele AW

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 21:48:52 pm »

All we need the Wing for is a Tea Tray! Surely you can all see the benefit of that? Especially you Richie?  Huh

O/FF 621
richie

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 21:51:09 pm »

All we need the Wing for is a Tea Tray! Surely you can all see the benefit of that? Especially you Richie?  Huh

Cheesy

cheers richie,uk

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 20:39:24 pm »

Good luck Adelle Wink
It will be great to see another lady going for the Powderpuffs!
ps. I haven't forgotten the Simpson belt either Wink
Regards, matt keene

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Adele AW

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 22:07:57 pm »

Good luck Adelle Wink
It will be great to see another lady going for the Powderpuffs!
ps. I haven't forgotten the Simpson belt either Wink
Regards, matt keene

Cheers Matt, hope your feeling better!  Smiley

O/FF 621
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 08:20:29 am »

Goodluck with the car Adele,hope to see ya at EBI2 Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 10:26:38 am »

That was what mine was for! (and for keeping the rain off the turbo when I played with that...) Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Adele AW

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 21:16:28 pm »

Goodluck with the car Adele,hope to see ya at EBI2 Grin

Thankyou Cheesy

I hope so too!

Adele

Cheesy

O/FF 621
Prowagen

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 21:39:03 pm »

After its fully painted and detailed I'd like to debut it at the Volksworld Show in March 09. This is where the show geek in me comes out  Wink

Got to love Show cars that also Go!
Good luck with it I look forward to the blog updates Cheesy
SteveW

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 17:38:36 pm »

Quick photo update on the resto! The left hand side heater channel has been cut out and the new has been trial fitted!

Keep checking the blog for more updates!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Udo

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 22:33:51 pm »

Did you make something wrong at your work ? The steering wheel is on the wrong side  Smiley

Good luck with your car !!

Udo

SteveW

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 19:09:44 pm »

Grin Thanks Udo!

Another update! We picked up our parts shipment from our friend Spencer Tramm who bought them back in his suitcase for us!!  Grin Grin

Aeromotive fuel pump and regulator with carbon fibre pressure gauge! Expensive but soooooo nice!

Painless fuse box to start our wiring from

Master cut-off switch and billet switch handle, switch panel which mounts to the roll cage and will house switches for fuel pump, ignition and starter and a Intercomp tyre pressue gauge. The pressure gauge also glows in the dark so if we run at night we can see the dial!  Grin

And the la pièce de résistance - Weld Aluma Star front wheels! 3.5" wide in Chevy pattern PCD.

We ordered it all through Jegs.com and we are well impressed with the service! Definately recommend them to anyone!

Grin

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
SteveW

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 22:37:48 pm »

A quick update! Work is really progressing on the car now! John King (Kings Restorations) is working his magic and we should have the body back by the end of this month!

The floorpan is worse than we all thought but hey ho the 'pan will stay at John's and have everything sorted including the IRS conversion!

Pictures can be found on our blog! http://stripteaseracing.blogspot.com

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 21:29:23 pm »

Cool Pics on your Blog. Where are the scary neighbours Huh Cheesy

Done ? Not Yet.
SteveW

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 23:43:50 pm »

Grin We've only been in the new house 4 weeks so we haven't found them yet! Although we did get funny looks from people over the road from us while we were painting the garage walls!!  Grin

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:19 am »

Have you moved further up t'north already?

that didn't take long

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
SteveW

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 18:58:58 pm »

Have you moved further up t'north already?

that didn't take long
Smiley Yeah we're in edwinstowe (legend says that Robin Hood married Maid Marion in the village church!) Its a nice village so its all good!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Adele AW

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 16:15:43 pm »

Thought I'd do an update  Smiley Mods maybe this thread would be better moved to In Da Werks?!

Ok so the car is now back from John Kings fully welded, it took much longer than we all expected as the car was in a worse state that what we thought. The majority of the back end has been neatly cut away so I will have the rear wings and valence on Dzus fasteners..Pic below

While we were in the states we went on a parts buying mission and came with loads of goodies  Grin There is quite a few photos and more updates on the blog http://stripteaseracing.blogspot.com

The 2332cc engine is also now built and should be winging its way over the Atlantic in a few days! It was built by Pat Downs at CB Performance and I'm really pleased with the results! He is a great guy to deal with and kept us in the picture of everything that was happening. Pat asked if we would allow him to display the motor on the CB stand at Bug In 33 so we thought it would be rude not too!

The engine was dyno'd in the week since we've been back and it made 239hp @ 7000RPM with the fanbelt on so i'm really chufted with that! The proper results will be when the motor is in the car and running the numbers as that's where it counts!  Grin

Next up is removing the body from the 'pan and getting it blasted then the 'pan is off to Wayne Allman's for floorpan repairs, IRS conversion and new fuel lines run through the tunnel with AN fittings brazed/welded on!

Main event is out the window so our next target is now European finals but it will be tight!

Steve.

O/FF 621
Roman

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 22:32:28 pm »

11.99 would be easy with that engine. I made 11.29 with 228 hp and almost stock weight and made 11.99 on the third run, the first one without lifting.
But  if you are aming for 11.99 you don't need any wing or sissy sticks, I agree with Richie!
The main reason I use sissy sticks is that it wheelies over the start photocell.
Adele AW

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 09:21:57 am »

Smiley We are aiming for anything under 11.99! A wing and sissy sticks will still be fitted Wink I like them too much!!!

Steve

O/FF 621
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: