The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:39:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  First few months with the new toy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First few months with the new toy  (Read 3396 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« on: September 16, 2019, 00:46:50 am »

this and last year haven’t been the best personally for me so to cheer myself up I took the impulsive decision to buy another beetle earlier in the year. Being my first proper US spec 67 it’s a bit of a tick on the bucket list.

It been a mostly positive choice but there was a few minor bits to sort and I’ve really enjoyed driving a nice beetle again.

As the car only had 100 or so miles on a new engine when I bought it I gave it a few hundred miles running in before giving it some gentle encouragement on the throttle which resulted in the manifold working loose on any extended high rev runs. This problem is now sorted with some friendly advice from fellow loungers.

I’ve also spent a while tracking down an annoying flat spot. Firstly I changed the springs in the MSD for one light sliver and a blue one and removing an old style 6la control box with two rev limiters for a spare 6la-2. Although slightly better it started to get worse after a few more miles. I finally tracked it down to one of the needle valves that had worked loose. I removed both idas and found that the other needle valve was only finger tight. The carbs were purchased rebuilt but the needle valves hadn’t been tightened up correctly.  As I had both the idas apart I reset the float heights and a pair of new gaskets had them running good as new.

I’ve done a few other small jobs, removing the berg shifter and replacing it for DDS I had, putting bumpers back on, removing the cage, replacing the aerial for a button and getting all the locks to work on one key. Nothing big but fun just tinkering with the small stuff.

Nearly time to put the car away for winter but hoping to put a few more miles on it before the weather turns. Plans for next year are vented deck lid, putting the rev counter under the dash and possibly swapping the close ratio box for a pro street I have spare so longer journeys will be more tolerable. I’m still not 100% on the white interior so that may get changed if funds allow.

Hopefully see you all at a few more shows next year.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 00:58:52 am by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Jos

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:41 am »

WOW Ron! that's beautiful. More pics please. Looks like a great score
Glauco

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:59:32 am »

car looks great, beautiful color!
baz

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:26 am »

Beautiful

I will prevail.
DaveN

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 17:35:12 pm »

Nice car Ron, a usable cal looker you can drive anywhere 👍
andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 18:44:31 pm »

WOW Ron! that's beautiful. More pics please. Looks like a great score

Yeah, I definitely need to see more of this car... what are the engine specs?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 19:56:15 pm »

Nice car Ron, looks great. Number plate looks familiar though - is it an ex-Greenhearts car by any chance?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 21:35:47 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It was an ex green hearts car and won an award for best old school at ebi a few years ago and a top twenty at volksworld this year.

It’s the usual 82x94 wedgeport headed engine with a web cam. It made 184hp on the dyno earlier this year and the engine was built by rawspeed here in the uk. It has a fully built gearbox in a rhino case.

I believe the car was put together in the USA before being shipped to the uk and was running mag torque thrusts but these were long gone before I got the car. Now has deep six and 4 1/2 on the fronts.

If anyone has any photos of the car in the USA I’d love to see them.

Few more photos.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:53:55 am by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Sam K

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 15:28:12 pm »

That's a beautiful car!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: