The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:05:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New to the Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 11519 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: August 31, 2006, 23:36:59 pm »

Bill Schwimmer told me that this is where all the kool kids hang out!

I like it!

Here's a short VW bio. Bought my savana beige '67 in '78.... strickly to make it a Cal-Look car... Stock VWs do nothing for me!

Since DKP was no longer active, I looked for the club with the best, most DKP like cars that was active. That was DKK. I was in DKK for several years and was President for a while. Went to every OCIR Bug-In from 18 on. DKK won most represented club for the last 4 bug-ins and the last one when I was President.

I also picked up a basket-case Notchback that I put together and became my daily-driver.

A few months after the last bug-in, I wrecked the '67. Since then, it's been sitting in my parents backyard... a time capsule of my youth.

Bill will tell you that I've been talking about doing something with it for the past 10 years. With Mark Herbert's passing, it made me realize that time is short and I'm certainly not getting more time.

Hoping to get hooked up in the Cal-Look community and put my '67 back together.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 23:43:08 pm »

Here's a pic from around 81-82

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 23:44:25 pm »

Good to see you here Rick!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Turtle001

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 23:50:08 pm »

welcome rick to the cool kids play field

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 00:58:16 am »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Jim it was cool to check out your ride at Nicks last month. It's a nice piece!

Rick

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:59 am »

welcome to the lounge dude - I think you'll enjoy yourself  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:22 am »

Welcome Rick,
have fun! we all do :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 09:45:22 am »

Here's a pic from around 81-82

Welcome here Rick, hope you like it.
I love the look you had on your 67.... I must find myself a clean 67 and fit it with US front fenders, it makes all the difference to me.
Is DKK alive and kicking?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 11:05:50 am »

Hi Rick!

Welcome to the forum. It´s always good to have lots of "Cal Look Experienced" guys around here! And there are always interesting stories and facts linked to...Hoepfully you´ll get your ´67 back on the streets!

Cheers,
Gregor

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Mauro Cattan

Manovra So Cal

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 15:23:54 pm »

Bienvenido Rick!!!! Hope to read good stories about OC. Wink

Ciao bellooooooo

Sarge

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 19:21:16 pm »

I feel a draft...did somebody leave the door open??...Hey, it's Rick!! Grin Roll Eyes  Good to see you here, bro!

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 21:07:31 pm »

hy rick and welcome to the lounge  Wink
is the empi 8 on your 67 are O.G or copy?Huh the dkk was active in the late70's early 80's, That's why I ask my question for the empi8, because I suppose that the first copies of rims appeared in these years there
regards
fabian
pict are from vw trends

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 21:41:57 pm »

danny gabbard notchback is for me one of the most beautiful type III cal look it smell like....pure cal look... Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 21:43:47 pm »

bill this's your rides when you was at the dkk something to tell about those car??? Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 22:13:51 pm »

I love the look you had on your 67.... I must find myself a clean 67 and fit it with US front fenders, it makes all the difference to me.

I had replaced my '67 front fenders with euro spec fenders and headlights shortly before I wrecked it. As I talked to Bill about putting the car back together, Bill asked about the original fenders and they're still in the rafters at my parents house. I'll most likely put them back on it.

DKK is long gone. Anyone who was in DKK and is still into VWs moved into DKP when it reformed.

Rick

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 22:31:45 pm »

Thanks Gregor, I have a great group of old friends willing to help me put the '67 together.. the only problem is money!

Grazie Mauro. I'm half italian and know a little.

Hey Sarge... I got a long tail so I gotta make sure it's all the way inside before I shut the door!

Fabian. Here's the story about the wheels on my car. They are the very first copies made. I bought the first set that came into Dave Greiners Auto Haus in Orange. There was some quality control issues on those firest wheels and it took me a while to get a set of 4 that I could use. One of the ways that you can tell that they were the first run of copies is that the valve stem came out of the lip of the rim. They where reall hard to clean around. Subsequent runs had the valve stem sticking up between the spokes. They were orginally black and I ran 2 spoke knock-offs as the orignal center caps were cheap looking. After the copies became common place, I painted the spokes gunmetal gray and switched to chrome lugs and centercaps.

BTW, in the group shot that you posted, I'm the last mostly complete light colored car on the left side. The rims were black with knockoffs in that picture. The Ghia was Todd Fuller's.

Danny's Notcher was sweet. Danny painted and did the bodywork on my Notch but the car was never completed.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 22:41:50 pm »

bill this's your rides when you was at the dkk something to tell about those car??? Wink

I can tell ya a little. The orange 70 was Bills car when I first met him. It inspired me to paint my notch the same color.

The squarebee He had later. Originally it was red but it was keyed by some jealous punk so Bill stripped it down to have it painted. Bill will correct me if my memory is faulty but as I remember, his brother worked at an autobody shop in Garden Grove. Bill was undecided as to a color so when his brother asked what color should I paint it. Bill said "I don't know.. suprise me!" I think Bill was suprised. I also think I was the one who tagged the car with it name "Pepto" too... my first reaction when I saw it "It Looks like Pepto Bismo!"

Mauro Cattan

Manovra So Cal

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 23:55:10 pm »

It's awesome!!! Wink Cheesy So when you will fly to European Bug-In 2007 we will can speak Italian Grin Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 00:51:57 am »

It's awesome!!! Wink Cheesy So when you will fly to European Bug-In 2007 we will can speak Italian Grin Grin Grin

My itallian isn't that good!  Grin

Now my french (That's my other 1/2!) is much better! We had my grandmother on my mom's side living with us when I was growing up and she spoke no english.

My German is limited to car parts. I know that 1 stuck means there's one in the box!  Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 09:02:17 am »

I had replaced my '67 front fenders with euro spec fenders and headlights shortly before I wrecked it. As I talked to Bill about putting the car back together, Bill asked about the original fenders and they're still in the rafters at my parents house. I'll most likely put them back on it.

DKK is long gone. Anyone who was in DKK and is still into VWs moved into DKP when it reformed.

Rick
Thanks Gregor, I have a great group of old friends willing to help me put the '67 together.. the only problem is money!

Hey Sarge... I got a long tail so I gotta make sure it's all the way inside before I shut the door!

Fabian. Here's the story about the wheels on my car. They are the very first copies made. I bought the first set that came into Dave Greiners Auto Haus in Orange. There was some quality control issues on those firest wheels and it took me a while to get a set of 4 that I could use. One of the ways that you can tell that they were the first run of copies is that the valve stem came out of the lip of the rim. They where reall hard to clean around. Subsequent runs had the valve stem sticking up between the spokes. They were orginally black and I ran 2 spoke knock-offs as the orignal center caps were cheap looking. After the copies became common place, I painted the spokes gunmetal gray and switched to chrome lugs and centercaps.

BTW, in the group shot that you posted, I'm the last mostly complete light colored car on the left side. The rims were black with knockoffs in that picture. The Ghia was Todd Fuller's.

Danny's Notcher was sweet. Danny painted and did the bodywork on my Notch but the car was never completed.

Thank you dick for small stories on these cars, I like reading the narratives that you write over the hours of glory of the cal  look  Wink

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 09:30:09 am »

Welcome Rick!!!

Greetings from Luxembourg Wink Wink Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 16:54:27 pm »

Thanks Fabian... the hard part is jarring those memories loose!

Rick

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 16:55:02 pm »

Thanks Frank!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: