The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:09:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  dkp car (bill shwimmer , steph szantai , hector B )
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: dkp car (bill shwimmer , steph szantai , hector B )  (Read 83110 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 19:55:26 pm »

Remember the days BEFORE the BRM repro wheels, Flat-4 Empi steering wheels, etc..., were available ?
How excited and jealous you were when you saw a car featured that had those items you just dreamed about ?
Ah, the old days.
 Cry

LOL Richard Those were the Days  now It's Resto Cal"  Roll Eyes

roland, problem is there is somebody who is saying "those were the days" about cars he has previously insinuated belonged to the "resto cal" trend, not the real Cal Look, because of moldings, bumpers, whatever. Now he's applauding these cars as part of an era that were "the days"  Those cars are about identical then as they are now (Stephan's is much nicer now, I've seen it then and now )
Cars today are way over rated and way over done  the new breed of cal looks today are missing the point of what it started out as.In the old Days they carried a rag to Check the oil on there Weber Motor's, now you guys carrie a rag to wipe down your car or wipe the dust off your wheels  In the Old Days We Street Raced and you run what you brung to day its park them in a row and look at them shine.

Signed Sombody"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 20:01:15 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
63 ripper

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 20:15:53 pm »

I Call IT NEW SCHOOL theres nothing old about it"  Empi 5 and 8 Spoke Repops, BRM Repops, Radiars=Randars,DDS Dino's= Ercos, Centerlines  copied buy some crappy cast look alike, Alloys,Gas Burners All Repoped..  CAN YOU SAY REPOP if it sell they will repop it.

I don't really see where the problem is...
There Is No Problem Just Stating Eveything Old Gets Repoped which is good in a way Because it Drives the Pice up On Original Stuff but on the Down Side Everyone has the same thing because of Repops

you have repro torq-thrusts !!!!!!
supply/demand

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
lawrence

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 20:33:29 pm »

Cars today are way over rated and way over done  the new breed of cal looks today are missing the point of what it started out as.In the old Days they carried a rag to Check the oil on there Weber Motor's, now you guys carrie a rag to wipe down your car or wipe the dust off your wheels  In the Old Days We Street Raced and you run what you brung to day its park them in a row and look at them shine.

Signed Sombody"

Shubee, your examples are very vague. Who exactly are the guys who carry a rag to wipe their car and wheels.  Huh No real need for this type of animosity. There is still street racing going on and it is mostly done by V8s and japanese cars, but the laws are strict and the consequences are harsh. I just found out where people meet and then drive to remote locations to race illegally. I will go soon and will let everyone here know how it goes.

Who wants to take bets on how many pages this thread will be? Grin

Shubee, there is nothing wrong with repop wheels. Rare mag wheels are expensive and I am a student/part time worker who cannot afford an 8000 dollar set of wheels. Sure my car might not be cal-look since the parts are not period Roll Eyes but my car is fast and it looks good doing it. I am a true, diehard fan of the california look. Relax, dude, we are all friends here.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 20:37:20 pm »

Signed Sombody"

Shubee, your examples are very vague. Who exactly are the guys who carry a rag to wipe their car and wheels.  Huh No real need for this type of animosity. There is still street racing going on and it is mostly done by V8s and japanese cars, but the laws are strict and the consequences are harsh. I just found out where people meet and then drive to remote locations to race illegally. I will go soon and will let everyone here know how it goes.

Who wants to take bets on how many pages this thread will be? Grin

Shubee, there is nothing wrong with repop wheels. Rare mag wheels are expensive and I am a student/part time worker who cannot afford an 8000 dollar set of wheels. Sure my car might not be cal-look since the parts are not period Roll Eyes but my car is fast and it looks good doing it. I am a true, diehard fan of the california look. Relax, dude, we are all friends here.
It is not ment to be an insult at all it just show's that times and taste have changed over the years Please dont take this the wrong way again it is a Change in style from its Original Form

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 20:39:20 pm »

I Call IT NEW SCHOOL theres nothing old about it"  Empi 5 and 8 Spoke Repops, BRM Repops, Radiars=Randars,DDS Dino's= Ercos, Centerlines  copied buy some crappy cast look alike, Alloys,Gas Burners All Repoped..  CAN YOU SAY REPOP if it sell they will repop it.

I don't really see where the problem is...
There Is No Problem Just Stating Eveything Old Gets Repoped which is good in a way Because it Drives the Pice up On Original Stuff but on the Down Side Everyone has the same thing because of Repops

you have repro torq-thrusts !!!!!!
supply/demand
not on a car they are in boxes, got the real deal for my car

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 20:55:37 pm »

I think a "REAL" Cal Look Car should actually run... If you ever finish this stuff you have you have been talking about Shubee lets take a 50 mile drive exceeding the speed limit , pull in the lanes & run it "HEADS UP" I will wipe my car down after I show you my "RESTO CAL"   rear bumper  later  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 21:25:53 pm »

guys  ,  cal look is before a whole state of mind, and then that one recreate on our car, maintaining the cal look is very vague, I agree gary that , that was as you  think, but with the wire of time the style evolved/moved, from where the cal look goes from the style aronson to the style bill schwimmer cal look - old school  Wink don't forget cal look has 32 years old  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 21:28:59 pm »

1. Actually when a reproduction part is made, it takes the price of the original down, not up....

2. I think i'm not the only one to be tired by your speech. You keep bashing "today's" cars, but we all just want too keep cal-look alive. So what's the difference if there's side trim or not, or bumpers or t-bars. Still a clean bug with a big engine and the nose down, that's all you need for a cal-look. Times have changed, even if you wanted really hard, you couldn't do today a car like 30 years ago...

Glitter don't make you faster.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 22:50:00 pm »

I think a "REAL" Cal Look Car should actually run... If you ever finish this stuff you have you have been talking about Shubee lets take a 50 mile drive exceeding the speed limit , pull in the lanes & run it "HEADS UP" I will wipe my car down after I show you my "RESTO CAL"   rear bumper  later  Bill
Well Bill For One Thing I am Building Three cars at the same Time a 67 nova,67 VW sedan and a 58 Ragtop As you all know it takes Money to Build a Nice Car  the 58 is my 49th VW I am buliding I dont cut Corners and dont put cheap crap on my cars it will be done when it gets Done, I am in no Hurry I have Nothing to Prove, People that know me and have seen the cars I have had in Person and  know what I can Build as far as Roland Said: Sorry Roland if you have the time and patients  A Cal Look Can Be Duplicated just the way it was 30 years ago with Original 30 year old Parts, Not in to Bumpers Bill I run T Bars "CAL LOOK"

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Peter

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 23:15:25 pm »

I m with Roland,
having fun is what its about
real brms are cool, but who can afford a set?
this way, only millionairs can have a real cal look
c mon dude, give me a break
all the guys who own repro please get out of the lounge.. your car is no cal look
who will be left here then?

side note: PUI
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 00:36:15 am »

Thanks for digging up the photos Speedwell. It seems so long ago. I really liked my car with the Caldwell Recaps. I wish I would not have sold them. I remember when the HVW's photos were shot ,we dropped off Dave Mason's car at home and we drove my car to Bakersfield for an event there.It was really a fun time then.  As for Repro Cal , Resto Cal & all the rest of that stuff..I own real BRM's ,I have owned a few sets of them. I bought them when they were cheap & only a handfull of people knew what they were or wanted them. I have also owned & sold most all of the desirable wheels,  wide 5 American's, Gasburners, 4.5 Fuchs ect..If there were no repro parts this would be a very small hobby. Could you image if they did'nt repro any 32' Ford bodies? There would be no Boyd Coddington, So Cal Speed shop Ect.  The Hot Rod industry would'nt exist.  The same is for our industry. While I prefer original parts ,they are not for everybody. I live in an old house filled with old stuff & drive old cars, maybe I am just stuck there ,I don't know ,but all of it makes me comfortable & I am happy with it. If your car has repro wheels or whatever, but it is a cool car & it makes you happy what difference does it make if the wheels are 40yrs old or 2 weeks old? 
  I think some of us need to get past this and just be glad that people all over the world are into this little niche of the automotive hobby and are interested in keeping it alive and helping some of  us to relive our youth with out noticing the material that your wheels are made from.  Enough rambling for now     Bill

Eddy Merckx
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 01:19:26 am »

Thanks for digging up the photos Speedwell. It seems so long ago. I really liked my car with the Caldwell Recaps. I wish I would not have sold them. I remember when the HVW's photos were shot ,we dropped off Dave Mason's car at home and we drove my car to Bakersfield for an event there.It was really a fun time then.  As for Repro Cal , Resto Cal & all the rest of that stuff..I own real BRM's ,I have owned a few sets of them. I bought them when they were cheap & only a handfull of people knew what they were or wanted them. I have also owned & sold most all of the desirable wheels,  wide 5 American's, Gasburners, 4.5 Fuchs ect..If there were no repro parts this would be a very small hobby. Could you image if they did'nt repro any 32' Ford bodies? There would be no Boyd Coddington, So Cal Speed shop Ect.  The Hot Rod industry would'nt exist.  The same is for our industry. While I prefer original parts ,they are not for everybody. I live in an old house filled with old stuff & drive old cars, maybe I am just stuck there ,I don't know ,but all of it makes me comfortable & I am happy with it. If your car has repro wheels or whatever, but it is a cool car & it makes you happy what difference does it make if the wheels are 40yrs old or 2 weeks old? 
  I think some of us need to get past this and just be glad that people all over the world are into this little niche of the automotive hobby and are interested in keeping it alive and helping some of  us to relive our youth with out noticing the material that your wheels are made from.  Enough rambling for now     Bill
No One Is Putting Down REPOPS as I said in my earlier post Times have changed and so has the Look and taste of the cars, you are right without repops there would be a bunch of lowered stockers running around town Grin It is not ment to be an insult at all it just show's that times and taste have changed over the years Please dont take this the wrong way, Again it is a Change in style from its Original Form
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:25:03 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Donny B.

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:44 am »

Thanks Bill, that is what I believe as well.  We should get past the thing where it is only cool if it is original.  After all it is about the look !

I have never had real wheels because you found them before me at Bug-O-Rama in Phoenix those many years ago.  I had the money and it was reserved for a real set of BRMs, but you got to them before me.  I remember that because Gary had the blue car there along with your car and I was on the ground looking under his car when my wife gave me some grief because Gary was there watching.  You came up with the BRMs about that time and I was sick.  That was the way it went.  I like my phony wheels.  They look good and that is all I need.  They don't crack and they aren't porous.  So they are not real.  Oh well!  Get over it.  It has been a pleasure to know you thanks for what you said!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
The Ideaman

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 01:56:11 am »

For me it is more of a social thing.  Cars are cars, and can be replaced.  I like them all.  Road tripping with friends to see people we haven't seen in months or years is part of the attraction.  Eating at Donny B's the day after BOR in '01, with all the cars in the driveway and up and down the street, is one of the coolest days on record.  Didn't think I remembered.

DON BULLITA'S

BACKYARD BUG-IN

Should should be shirts made. Grin

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
SlingShot

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:13 am »

I thought I would break this up and post a older feature of my new car Grin, which previously was owned by Greg Lane of Der Zoltig Kafers, and originally built by Johnny Salgado in 1992-3, Johnny was then accepted into DKP in 1999. The car has not changed to much, but will be getting a mild makeover in the future, currently no engine, I plan on building a 2276cc w/Ida's hopefully before Bug In in April.  Still rolls on centerlines. But OG BRM's await Cool I would love to hear any old stories or more info on the car, I know Bill was there Wink

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:20:38 am by SlingShot » Logged

Will Race For Beer !!!
Donny B.

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:02 am »

Thanks Luke!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Matt H

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 03:19:17 am »

Always loved that black 67. Bill S is the real deal. He will drive his car to a show, and then proceed to lay down some respectable times and drive it home, And he has been doing that for many years. Some people here have way too much time on their hands or little else going on in there lifes to worry about re-popped wheels. Geezz get over it
bmxnut65

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 04:24:17 am »

Bill, are you a little upset.I think you need to go and skate.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Matt H

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 04:49:24 am »

Bill lets go hit up Winchester, Big O, and Lakewood  Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 05:05:33 am »

I thought I would break this up and post a older feature of my new car Grin, which previously was owned by Greg Lane of Der Zoltig Kafers, and originally built by Johnny Salgado in 1992-3, Johnny was then accepted into DKP in 1999. The car has not changed to much, but will be getting a mild makeover in the future, currently no engine, I plan on building a 2276cc w/Ida's hopefully before Bug In in April.  Still rolls on centerlines. But OG BRM's await Cool I would love to here any old stories or more info on the car, I know Bill was there Wink

So that is what happened to that car. I have that issue as well. Cool car!

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 05:26:26 am »

Bill lets go hit up Winchester, Big O, and Lakewood  Grin
  I never made it to Winchester, but I practically lived at Big O, until they put the waterslide in .  I wish I could bend over far enough so I could grab the rail to do a frontside air though.. it sucks getting old.  sorry about the wheels Don. it was one of those moments when the planets aligned.   Bill

Eddy Merckx
stealth67vw

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2007, 06:23:11 am »

I thought I would break this up and post a older feature of my new car Grin, which previously was owned by Greg Lane of Der Zoltig Kafers, and originally built by Johnny Salgado in 1992-3, Johnny was then accepted into DKP in 1999. The car has not changed to much, but will be getting a mild makeover in the future, currently no engine, I plan on building a 2276cc w/Ida's hopefully before Bug In in April.  Still rolls on centerlines. But OG BRM's await Cool I would love to here any old stories or more info on the car, I know Bill was there Wink

That's a bad Mo Fo right there. That car along with Wade Nishimota's 67 are the reason I own 2 black 67s.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2007, 07:01:13 am »

Shocked.........LOL BILL......YOU EVEN USED A BAD WORD........."RESTO-CAL".......LOL

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
qubek

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2007, 13:23:05 pm »

Remember the days BEFORE the BRM repro wheels, Flat-4 Empi steering wheels, etc..., were available ?
How excited and jealous you were when you saw a car featured that had those items you just dreamed about ?
Ah, the old days.
 Cry
In the old days, all you could do is to get excited while looking at the items you dreamed about. In the new days, you can get excited while owning those items and playing with them.
Someone can say that getting excited is just getting excited, no matter if you look at the picture in a magazine or play with a real thing. Well, for me, there is a difference. For sure I prefer the latter.
I like "the new days" more  Tongue

Maybe the problem is, that there is a time in a man's life when he can afford to have things but he cant get excited anymore. Luckily, those times did not come for me yet.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 13:26:19 pm by qubek » Logged

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
JS

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2007, 14:36:55 pm »

Is that an 1 3/4 Berg header the way it looks out of the box? Or has the flange been relocated?

Signature.
folkevogn

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2007, 15:09:39 pm »

I agree with Shubee on some points and Bill on others.I think everyone needs to make their own interpetation of cal-look. I like the rule of "form follow function" so the Aronson style is to me "true" cal-look. And for that reason I would never put a bumper on my car. But I have no problem with other people doing it, when you look at history, there were alot of "cal-lookers" back then and they would all look different, maybe some of them had bumper.I think there is more than one answer to this question(and another discussion)...I would love to have real BRM`s on my car but as mention a million times before...the prize. so my question is WHY THE F-U-C-K CAN`T THEY MAKE THE REPRO EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL ONES!!!I dont care if the can get cracks and that I have to polish them more often etc.....and it cant be that more expensive to put magnesium instead of aluminium in the mold.I would have any problem with the repro wheels if they looked just like the originals and where made of the same material..

just my opinion

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2007, 16:47:34 pm »

I agree with Shubee on some points and Bill on others.I think everyone needs to make their own interpetation of cal-look. I like the rule of "form follow function" so the Aronson style is to me "true" cal-look. And for that reason I would never put a bumper on my car. But I have no problem with other people doing it, when you look at history, there were alot of "cal-lookers" back then and they would all look different, maybe some of them had bumper.I think there is more than one answer to this question(and another discussion)...I would love to have real BRM`s on my car but as mention a million times before...the prize. so my question is WHY THE F-U-C-K CAN`T THEY MAKE THE REPRO EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL ONES!!!I dont care if the can get cracks and that I have to polish them more often etc.....and it cant be that more expensive to put magnesium instead of aluminium in the mold.I would have any problem with the repro wheels if they looked just like the originals and where made of the same material..

just my opinion
I Agree  thanks for the Input"

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2007, 20:04:22 pm »

I am getting REALLY sick of all this - this used to be a Cool Place with cool people with lots of cool ideas - there is no need to argue Angry

This is just my 2 cents but I think that MOST of the cars coming out today are nothing more than freshly restored Bugs with a set of "New" wheels and a Lowered AND narrowed front end - NOT my personal taste but each to there own  Wink Smiley

NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC - Anyone have any more pic's of Hectors car  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2007, 20:50:53 pm »

Some bad tempered posts have been removed, along with replies to these.

ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS, and keep it CLEAN!!

Two simple rules, but seemingly hard follow!!?

This is not .com!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 20:54:50 pm by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2007, 20:53:44 pm »

sorry I should have said this IS a cool place  Wink Smiley

So where's the pic's of Hectors bug Huh Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: