The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:25:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New Hot VW's Issue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New Hot VW's Issue  (Read 15702 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 22:27:54 pm »

All the feature cars in this issue are very cool and are "Cal-Look". 

I will disagree with you there. The GFK car while a fine piece of workmanship is not CL. Lose most of the shiny baubles and then maybe.

--louis
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 22:32:22 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 22:41:49 pm »

Yeah, you mean that one that is absolutly not Cal-Look?   Grin

Seriously though.....why would you dechrome a car and then paint it back on?  Huh  Whats next, one piece windows that are painted to look like vent windows?   Cheesy

Anyway....back to soul.  You cant define soul, but I am sure that you of anyone knows what it is Deano.  thats why we all love you!  Smiley

Once again I think my point is being missed.  All the feature cars in this issue are very cool and are "Cal-Look".  I am just craving at least one car per year that is pure!  Being dechromed does not mean something is Cal-Look, but IMO a Cal-look car in its purest sense must be dechromed.  (And the dechroming is simply one example....add T-bars, non-stock interiors, traditional wheels, etc to that list)  This is not to suggest that this is the ONLY way to do Cal-Look, I am just saying that here in the States we are losing track of our history.  Like I said before, I fear that we are sliding back towards the glitz and glamour cars of the 80s, where everything was called "Cal-Look".

The small print...(these comments are one opinionated persons opinion.  In no way am I being critical of my friends at HVW's (especially Deano) or the cars contained in this particular issue.  Just stirring the pot a little)
Corn you can come visit my Garage once a year nothing but 1975 Cal Look here I Dont Plan on stepping up to chrome anytime soon Grin I Guess if you Loved the Old School Cal Look of 1975 Mise well Live it Because They are not being built that way very often anymore Shocked

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Gary Justus

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 23:18:46 pm »

Help me out, here.....Where's the GFK car ?  Cry
deano

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 23:41:31 pm »

I still would like to hear what YOU guys think is a car with "Soul"? And can that "Soul" be transferred upon sale of said car to someone else (if Sarge sells his car to, let's say Ryan Price  Tongue)? Do aftermarket parts such as Flat 4 BRMs and repro GTV steering wheels, Ercos and non-Italian IDAs void that so-called "Soul"? Can a car's "Soul" be built into it, or does it come from its past history? If a newbie comes onto the scene and buys all the original Empi/DDS parts and builds one to original specs, but he wasn't even born before 1975, does that count? Did Conklin's black '67 have its "Soul" ripped out of it when he put a turbo on it? This is the first time I have heard someone talk about the California Look and "Soul" together. I used to think the only thing with "Soul" was TV show, Soul Train.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Gary Justus

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 00:09:31 am »

OK...
The "New Hot VW's Issue" is IMHO the best in a while. But I am biased towards Cal-Look.
Now for the SOUL (and not to step on any toes).

Again, IMHO, the soul comes from the creator. "IT" cannot be transferred. It's very rare (these days) that $$$ = true meaning.

Some dream, some emulate, some copy, and some talk. It's like that in any hobby, sport, or job.

The "SOUL" of a car comes from the perserverance, committment, and vision of that car's owner and his/her ability to present and maintain all that compliments the original intent of the car's use. I don't want to say that "new blood" and "change" are not good, quite the contrary. However, I believe that there is much to be said for those who have managed to be the inspiration for the "next generations" by continuing to be positive images of that "original intent". "SOUL" takes time. Just like Rome, it can't be built in a day (or tossed off like today's catch)...........
1946vw

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 00:28:55 am »

Soul, If it was built after 1946 it  does not have one.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 00:38:23 am »

I still would like to hear what YOU guys think is a car with "Soul"? And can that "Soul" be transferred upon sale of said car to someone else (if Sarge sells his car to, let's say Ryan Price  Tongue)? Do aftermarket parts such as Flat 4 BRMs and repro GTV steering wheels, Ercos and non-Italian IDAs void that so-called "Soul"? Can a car's "Soul" be built into it, or does it come from its past history? If a newbie comes onto the scene and buys all the original Empi/DDS parts and builds one to original specs, but he wasn't even born before 1975, does that count? Did Conklin's black '67 have its "Soul" ripped out of it when he put a turbo on it? This is the first time I have heard someone talk about the California Look and "Soul" together. I used to think the only thing with "Soul" was TV show, Soul Train.

This thread has some of what you are looking for.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3433.0.html

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lanny Hussey

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 00:55:58 am »

Thanks for the kind words..great issue. I'm really not that bad of a driver... Wink
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:09:02 am by Lanny Hussey » Logged

1967, the only year that matters.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 01:14:12 am »

Thanks for the kind words..great issue. I'm really not that bad of a driver... Wink

Thats a killer car you have. My favorite of the issue.

--louis

Louis Brooks

luftkafer

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 01:29:01 am »

I have to say this about "soul". My brother and I have built a couple of VW Bugs. We have been lucky enough to have some of them in HVW's (Thanks Dean!). Each car had a soul to me.  But it is US that puts a soul in it. Cars are just a piece of mechanical metal, nothing more. We name them and think there special. I remember when Garys Bergs 67 was at my house years ago. I sported some "wood" when I saw it there. Why? It was what I thought about when I saw it. Cool, exciting, special! But it was still a piece of metal with four wheels. Nothing more.
Sure alot of cars have history. But it is US that do that. We are the ones that make all that happen.

If it makes it easier we could classify cars. Kind of like Cal-Look Classic, Cal-Look Bling, Cal-Look Pro, etc.
Hell why not Cal-Look Diet and Cal-Look Free???
SlingShot

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16:32 am »

I cant take credit for the "soul" comment. Someone mentioned it here months ago, I cant remember who, but kudos to them! Wink

To me soul is just that inexplicable feeling you get when you see a car. Doesnt matter if it has chrome of not, 200hp or 75, vent wings or one piece windows. It just evokes that classic california look feel from every angle. Even if it was finished yesterday with all new parts, it would look right at home 30 years ago. You dig?

BTW, this is Zach Smiley

Will Race For Beer !!!
Bryan67

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 02:52:25 am »

Yes, I would love to see a "True" Cal Look car again. The new issue is pretty good and one of the best I have seen in awhile. I really like the 15 window Bus too.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
SlingShot

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 03:49:35 am »

Defenition of "CAL- LOOK SOUL"  straight from the Dictionary Wink
  • noun 1, the spiritual element of a Volkswagen, regarded as immortal. 2, a Volkswagen's moral or emotional nature. 3, emotional or intellectual energy or integrity. 4, a Volkswagen's regarded as the embodiment of a particular quality. 5, (also soul music) a kind of music incorporating elements of gospel music, Volkswagens and rhythm and blues, popularized by American blacks. 

I like no.5 Grin

I think that about sums it up.

Will Race For Beer !!!
richie

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 04:33:01 am »

Do aftermarket parts such as Flat 4 BRMs and repro GTV steering wheels, Ercos and non-Italian IDAs void that so-called "Soul"?  or does it come from its past history?

And 044 heads,ally auto linea cases,long cylinders,h beam rods[carrillos excluded] Black magic clutch discs,water based paints,drag radials etc etc,anything that wasnt around in 75  Shocked Shocked

Sometimes progress is good,sometimes not, whatever you view on it,the origional article showed no chrome,my opinion is you cant move the goal posts just because it suits you or your car,or you want to be cool Wink it is what it is,doesnt change and never will,
back to your chrome polish now Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Gary Justus

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 04:36:38 am »

hehehe!
nicolas

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 08:14:59 am »

This is the first time I have heard someone talk about the California Look and "Soul" together. I used to think the only thing with "Soul" was TV show, Soul Train.

you are so right!

callook = punk!

resto custum = disco

and hoodride = static noise

Grin  Grin  Grin
Gary Justus

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 01:59:40 am »

I don't think Dean got much info here.....
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2008, 05:22:50 am »

Few people have a clear understanding of soul. It's important to understand that soul is infinite in many of its aspects. In exploring soul, we are engaged in an infinite becoming process. As a result, no one can claim to have a full understanding of soul. Grin Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:23:59 pm by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Ivan

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 12:31:07 pm »

Yeah, but you see I am not allowed to read Volksworld any more!    Wink Cheesy

(However, if somebody has an extra Feb 07 issue, I can supply you with a secret PO box and payment via a black op's courier service)   Grin

Now that's the kind of contract I'd be happy to sign!  Grin

If you need a copy - email me your address and I'll send you one. 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 00:35:00 am »

Nice issue, Lanny's car looks good, same with Geers car. Geers' car's gotta be the most subtle looking race car ever in the VW scene. Cool....
Neil Davies

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 13:08:07 pm »

Do aftermarket parts such as Flat 4 BRMs and repro GTV steering wheels, Ercos and non-Italian IDAs void that so-called "Soul"?  or does it come from its past history?

And 044 heads,ally auto linea cases,long cylinders,h beam rods[carrillos excluded] Black magic clutch discs,water based paints,drag radials etc etc,anything that wasnt around in 75  Shocked Shocked

Sometimes progress is good,sometimes not, whatever you view on it,the origional article showed no chrome,my opinion is you cant move the goal posts just because it suits you or your car,or you want to be cool Wink it is what it is,doesnt change and never will,
back to your chrome polish now Cheesy

cheers richie

Use Richie's car as an example - it looks so much harder without the chrome and horn grilles! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 10:09:38 am »

I will disagree with you there. The GFK car while a fine piece of workmanship is not CL. Lose most of the shiny baubles and then maybe.

GFK car? Damn, based on your post I was really waiting for the magazine to appear in my postbox and what GFK car that would be and hoping to see more of Paul Smoot's Oval  Cheesy That Split-bumpered Zwitter is just so wrong (while quality of work is high) stylewise.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 10:16:52 am »

Got mine yesterday, good issue, the geers car is incredible, i'm sure we can all forgive the stock britework for 10's? Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
deano

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 17:27:50 pm »

I think Geers should put up an auction on e-bay for the higher bidder who wants to go for a ride.... Any takers?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:06:35 am by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 23:45:31 pm »

i'm planning on visiting Geers next week, i'm just gonna beg like any grown man should! Cheesy

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
empi67rag

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2008, 11:50:27 am »

I think you guys have answered your own questions about the use of the original California Look logo in this issue. I agree, the cars have evolved away (somewhat) from the original concept drawing, and we are aware of that. Somehow, using that logo on cars with full trim, etc., just didn't seem right. As you can tell from where those four Bugs came from (Texas, North Carolina, Vancouver/Canada and Westerminster/California), we traveled all over the country to find those, and not just the ones that were in our back yard. I fly a lot a miles each year and I just don't see cars with shaved chrome, that are done all the way in the original spirit of the California Look (at least here in the States). I am also well aware that there are some awesome cars built in Europe that do follow the guidelines much closer, and there is room for those, if we can obtain the photos and details. Is the Calfornia Look logo dead? No, it will be used again where it fits the bill.

What I think is important is that each of these four cars are not all '67s (a complaint from the past), only one has BRMs (another past gripe), are from locations other than southern California (yes, that one too), and they all have at least 200hp!

I would not mind having my car featured in Hot vw's Smiley Wink

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: