The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 13:32:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350848 Posts in 28604 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What does Cal-look Mean to you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What does Cal-look Mean to you  (Read 20010 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: December 17, 2007, 21:43:38 pm »

I have been thinking about this post for a while, even wrote it out a couple of times. Main reason I have waited is I didn't want this to turn into some sort of flame fest. I am not looking to start another I am right, you are wrong conversation here. I am also not looking for conversations about chrome or the lack there of. Nothing that specific. I would just be interested in seeing what Cal-look means to different people. Just boil it all down and state what it means to you. Don't take it personal if someone else's definition is different from yours.

To me it is about clean understated VWs that are built for improved performance and specifically for improved straight line performance. The cars are primarily street driven and may see some track time. (As opposed to a race car that never sees the street but still looks like a street car.) By clean I mean with a moto of less is more, especially where accessories are concerned. The only accesories needed are those that improve the driving experience, not the count. Understated means that the cars don't scream out for attention with graphics or wild paint schemes. It is a sleeper to all but those in the know. Only given away by the rumble from under the hood when the loud pedal is mashed to the floor. Any modifications to the body or drive train are aimed at improving the performance of the car not just for show. If I were to describe one I would say the defining characteristics are, raked stance from lowering the front, engines modified for as much performance as the owner can afford, single color paint jobs in understated colors and performance oriented interiors. (Plus the stuff I already mentioned.)

Cal-look is also about the people who drive these types of cars and enjoy hanging out with other people who are like minded. Its about the clubs, the history, the friendships, the driving, the bench racing and the camaraderie of being with people who enjoy the Cal-look experience. The experience of hanging out with people who enjoy the sound of a well tuned performance VW engine. The experience of going out and proving that these little economy cars can indeed be fast and perform as well as anything out of Detroit or Tokyo. The people who can spend hours debating whether a 135r15 or a 145r15 looks better on the front to get that stance that is just right. Or the merits of IDAs vs IDFs vs DCNFs vs Dells for hours on end. People like me.

Last Cal-look is about attitude. I don't think I need to explain that one. If you got this far through the post, you understand.  It's a Cal-look thing Wink

So what does Cal-look mean to you.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 22:01:35 pm »

to me it is about having a car that is kind of like the equivalent of Joe Pesci. Small, but very bad temper. It is fun doing stupid things in a car with a power to weight ratio like a big cc VW has. What could be more fun than having a car that "everybody knows is slow" that can scare the eyeballs out of you?
Really, just like any other hot-rod segment of the car world, it is about doing crap to your car, and then hanging out with people that enjoy the same thing (sort of) and then laughing about all the times parts fell off or flew off your car when you thought you were showing off.

more than anything though, it is about just wiping my car down.
ballbag

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 23:06:52 pm »

Lowered front, shiny paint and a fast ish motor Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 23:56:01 pm by ballbag » Logged

something funny!
Stephan S

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 00:02:04 am »

There is not a single and true answer to this question. Ask the 1000 Lounge members that question, and they will likely give you 1000 different answers.

In 1987-88, I owned a ’65 Bug typical of the era: fully dechromed, one-piece window kit, peppermint green paintjob… (Fabian: feel free to dig through Super VW Nr. 5!). Back then, I had no doubt in my mind this was a California Look car, because it followed the Cal Look rules of the time. Today, the Cal Look police would probably laugh at the car. Too low, too pastel – it matched the clothes of the era including the pink and turquoise shorts I was wearing. And worse of all, it had a stock engine. Sure, I dreamed of horsepower; but only a few enthusiasts could afford 1835cc engines (remember these?). I guess I would be considered a Cal Look poseur today, eh?

What does Cal Look mean to me today? With the look having evolved over the last four decades, I see two common threads: horsepower and some sort of rake enhanced by big-and-little tires. Even this last point is subject to discussion. Think about the cars from Der Kleiner Kampfwagens back in the early ‘80s… Many had lowered rear suspension; but I would still consider them as Cal Look. See, there’s no easy answer.

In fact, I get really tired of people trying to convince us that ‘70s-styled Cal Lookers are the only "true Cal Lookers". Worse: these people tend to distort history, choosing what they like about the look of the era – starting with the dechromed body. On the other hand, these people will likely forget about some “questionable” attributes, such as the swooping nerf bars (not T-bars), as seen in the famous February 1975 Hot VWs illustration. Also, how many people tint their windows today?

Interestingly enough, that same illustration mentions “no metal flake” paint jobs. Correct for 1975; but today, I’m not sure anymore. Recently, I’ve written a piece about a Japanese Cal Look club, which welcomes several 12-13-second street cars painted with metal flakes. Cal Look? Heck yeah… at least in my opinion! After all, why would it be acceptable to use metal flakes on a ’70s gasser replica/tribute, but not on a Cal Look car?

Oh, one last thing… I’ve seen some clean/fast street cars with the nose down and plenty of ponies, but featuring an original patina (i.e. no shiny paint). Cal Look? Again, yes. Just my $.02 of course.

P.S.: love your new avatar, Ratto!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 00:07:59 am »

There is not a single and true answer to this question. Ask the 1000 Lounge members that question, and they will likely give you 1000 different answers.

In 1987-88, I owned a ’65 Bug typical of the era: fully dechromed, one-piece window kit, peppermint green paintjob… (Fabian: feel free to dig through Super VW Nr. 5!). Back then, I had no doubt in my mind this was a California Look car, because it followed the Cal Look rules of the time. Today, the Cal Look police would probably laugh at the car. Too low, too pastel – it matched the clothes of the era including the pink and turquoise shorts I was wearing. And worse of all, it had a stock engine. Sure, I dreamed of horsepower; but only a few enthusiasts could afford 1835cc engines (remember these?). I guess I would be considered a Cal Look poseur today, eh?

What does Cal Look mean to me today? With the look having evolved over the last four decades, I see two common threads: horsepower and some sort of rake enhanced by big-and-little tires. Even this last point is subject to discussion. Think about the cars from Der Kleiner Kampfwagens back in the early ‘80s… Many had lowered rear suspension; but I would still consider them as Cal Look. See, there’s no easy answer.

In fact, I get really tired of people trying to convince us that ‘70s-styled Cal Lookers are the only "true Cal Lookers". Worse: these people tend to distort history, choosing what they like about the look of the era – starting with the dechromed body. On the other hand, these people will likely forget about some “questionable” attributes, such as the swooping nerf bars (not T-bars), as seen in the famous February 1975 Hot VWs illustration. Also, how many people tint their windows today?

Interestingly enough, that same illustration mentions “no metal flake” paint jobs. Correct for 1975; but today, I’m not sure anymore. Recently, I’ve written a piece about a Japanese Cal Look club, which welcomes several 12-13-second street cars painted with metal flakes. Cal Look? Heck yeah… at least in my opinion! After all, why would it be acceptable to use metal flakes on a ’70s gasser replica/tribute, but not on a Cal Look car?

Oh, one last thing… I’ve seen some clean/fast street cars with the nose down and plenty of ponies, but featuring an original patina (i.e. no shiny paint). Cal Look? Again, yes. Just my $.02 of course.

thanks Steph....

you're quite a smart feller.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 00:33:39 am »

Just for reference:
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 00:44:58 am »

AMEN 2 THAT!!!    Grin

AND HAPPY B-DAY!!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 00:51:29 am »

I think this statement from Jim just about sums it up for me  Smiley

"What could be more fun than having a car that "everybody knows is slow" that can scare the eyeballs out of you?"

Amen brother  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 00:54:08 am »

i know!
i know, lee!

...a yellow metalflake buggy with a whobbling antenna doing 5,000rpm on piccadilly circus  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 00:56:27 am »

i know!
i know, lee!

...a yellow metalflake buggy with a whobbling antenna doing 5,000rpm on piccadilly circus  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 Wink

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Amen dude  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:19 am »

stephan, you are so right, you should make a book...

Glitter don't make you faster.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:43:54 am »

Just for reference:

I wonder what the story is behind that drawing. Who came up with it, etc. My guess is some intern whipped it up because they needed to fill an odd page.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

Your probably right dude  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

Stephan S

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:03:54 am »

I wonder what the story is behind that drawing. Who came up with it, etc. My guess is some intern whipped it up because they needed to fill an odd page.  Cheesy

--louis

Not quite  Smiley
Deano may want to correct me if I'm wrong... Drawing was done by Burly Burlile who, among other things, raced a Super Beetle at Bonneville in the '90s.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 02:21:57 am »

California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:36:14 am »

My version of a Cal Looker car and this is only my definition. Looking back in the 70's I think a good example would be Dean Kirsten 67 navy blue with a nice motor with 48 IDA de chromed body with BRM . Also if you look at the DKP cars from that period they had the Cal Look set. You can also use Empi 8 spokes / Porsche Alloys polished, factory low back seats or bucket seats or plaid interior my personal touch and T bars. Stephan is correct you can ask 1,000 VW enthusiast and everyone will have a different opinion. I think since the 70's we have seen many style of Cal Looker the best examples to me would be DKP club they have set the standard in my book as far as the Cal Looker all of their cars have the same standard and they do not deviate from their rules. I my self like all DKP cars very clean fast and very detailed engine compartment / interior. This could be a very tough subject how about a pre 67 bus / convertible bug / notchback / ghia etc... What would be the definition of these car for a Cal Looker. Great topic of discussion.

Thanks
  Frenchy Dehoux ( Doc Detail )

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
stealth67vw

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 06:01:35 am »

My personal definition of Cal Look is :

1) Clean, subtle and detailed single color paint, nothing flashy.

2) Slightly lowered front end, not dumped and no narrowed beams

3) Lightweight wheels with big and little tires

4) Engine compartment detail to match the rest of the car. Doesn't really matter if it has IDAs or Kads as long as it is fast and clean. Performance must match the looks.

5) Utilitarian as possible, nothing added that does not add or enhance performance, no flashy trinket accessories, no roof racks, no mud flaps, no Banjo wheels or flower vases, no sticker whores, no unnecessary chrome trim. Kind of like the factory Super Stock cars of the 60s minus the stickers.

6) Real California plates.  Roll Eyes Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
deano

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 06:45:24 am »

--louis
Not quite  Smiley
Deano may want to correct me if I'm wrong... Drawing was done by Burly Burlile who, among other things, raced a Super Beetle at Bonneville in the '90s.

The background to the famous drawing that appeared in the Feb '75 HVWs is, Burly Burlile did the original drawing, but it was a little rough for then art director Lane Evans, who basically hopped it up a bit. The original concept was retained, but just the quality of the line drawing was cleaned up a bit. Exactly how and why Burly did the work for HVWs is unknown to me, as it was probably Tom Chambers who put the deal together. I believe it was during the time that Hot VWs was trying to figure out what to do with this new "look", how to grab hold of it, and define it for the readers. Burly obviously knew what was going on, and put the details together. Like coming up with the definition of the "California Look", it was an interesting time for the magazine and our industry. I go into this time frame, and how the name came about in the new Feb '08 issue of HVWs. You might be surprised to hear what I found out about the name....

As far as the title of this thread goes, I have always been a hard-core shave-the-trim kinda guy. I know things have changed, but for me, like the gassers of the '60s and '70s, no bumpers (yeah, within legal reason), no trim, custom dash panels and massive power using IDAs.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 20:14:36 pm »

to me it is about having a car that is kind of like the equivalent of Joe Pesci. Small, but very bad temper. It is fun doing stupid things in a car with a power to weight ratio like a big cc VW has. What could be more fun than having a car that "everybody knows is slow" that can scare the eyeballs out of you?
Really, just like any other hot-rod segment of the car world, it is about doing crap to your car, and then hanging out with people that enjoy the same thing (sort of) and then laughing about all the times parts fell off or flew off your car when you thought you were showing off.

more than anything though, it is about just wiping my car down.

after thinking more about this post, I have more to add. My previous take on it stays the same, but there is more.... (as always from Jim Ratto, right?)

Actually I don't care for the Cal Look moniker, and I don't care for the "rules" that some think cars of this genre have to live by. The fad, phenomenon, look, whatever you want to call it is a product of the people and the car comes second. I wouldn't be driving a 13 sec VW around if it wasn't for the friends that come with being into the cars. The whole deal is more about, to me, things like the party I had at my place back in October, a small group of guys that share an interest, and will get a good laugh out of it.

As far as the cars go, to me they are better referred to as hot rod VW's and concentrate less so much on the "look" and more on the "go."
Of course, poor taste would exclude a car from the fad, in my opinion. But there are so many variables as to the appearance, it's impossible to label a car... "this car yes, it is shaved"....."this car, no....it has full bumpers".... can all that. Some cars look the part and some don't. To me it doesn't come down to little details, it is an overall presentation. And of course, part of that presentation includes the horsepower.
I guess as far as cars go, to me it is about how the cars evlove. Maybe the details on a guy's car change, but the overall message stays the same.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 20:53:42 pm »

it is about how the cars evlove.

This is something I have been trying to wrap my head around for the past couple of days. Can you take all the right brand name parts, throw them at VW, and call it Cal-look. Or is does some concept of time, ownership and development of the car come into play. Not sure if that is coming off right. Here is an example. Guy builds a car with all the right parts. 48s, BRMs, Porsche guards red, custom interior, Berg, Empi, DDS etc. But it runs like crap, doesn't stop worth a damn, and only gets driven on and off a trailer at shows. And it is sold shortly after appearing in a magazine. Is that Cal-look. It fits the description. It seems lacking, maybe because the car falls short of it's potential. I guess what I am getting at is the whole more than the sum of the parts. Anyway, I am way out in the philosophical deep end here. Should probably swim back to shore and argue about chrome vs no chrome.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 20:57:28 pm »

it is about how the cars evlove.

This is something I have been trying to wrap my head around for the past couple of days. Can you take all the right brand name parts, throw them at VW, and call it Cal-look. Or is does some concept of time, ownership and development of the car come into play. Not sure if that is coming off right. Here is an example. Guy builds a car with all the right parts. 48s, BRMs, Porsche guards red, custom interior, Berg, Empi, DDS etc. But it runs like crap, doesn't stop worth a damn, and only gets driven on and off a trailer at shows. And it is sold shortly after appearing in a magazine. Is that Cal-look. It fits the description. It seems lacking, maybe because the car falls short of it's potential. I guess what I am getting at is the whole more than the sum of the parts. Anyway, I am way out in the philosophical deep end here. Should probably swim back to shore and argue about chrome vs no chrome.  Wink

--louis

I think "the right parts" is a problem. More about that later.

Anyway you just described Mike Preston's '60 Bug. Except he totaled it instead of selling it.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 21:00:28 pm »

Was that the mango green car? That is the one that actually got me to thinking about the subject. The other was that car on burners that poped up on the Samba after being in HVW.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 21:03:39 pm »

Was that the mango green car? That is the one that actually got me to thinking about the subject. The other was that car on burners that poped up on the Samba after being in HVW.

--louis

yes that's it.

Before Mike got a job @ Buggy House, his car was your typical resto-cal type car, which isn't my taste, but I know it is popular, and while it does seem to be more of a function follows form type of car fad, whatever...I'm sure there are some roof-racked cars that run hard and go straight. Not Mike's though. For a long time the car was powered by a 1600 d/p, then a very tame 1904 with 36DRLA's and some bottom of the barrel innards. It also was slammed front and rear, and had every Flat 4 trinket a guy could buy, roof rack, wood door inserts, gravel guards, everything. Then he came to BH, and I guess got tired of that fad and wanted to join in with the "Cal Look" phenomenon that was becoming more and more popular again. So mike ditched all the roof rack, ski rack, had his torsions twisted in rear, and had his mom buy him new 48IDAs, and 82 crank, heads, case, rods...etc.
I like Mike, he's a nice guy, but his car never really evolved, it always seemed spooky to drive, brakes pulled, car darted everywhere, the 1904 was a dog (and cooked), it didn't have that seasoned quality that a long time hot rodded car (of any type) has, like everything has kind of lapped itself in, and worked the kinks out.
I don't know, maybe I am full of crap.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 21:31:27 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 21:42:22 pm »

stephan here's the car  Grin
rgd
fabian

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 21:53:42 pm »

like everything has kind of lapped itself in, and worked the kinks out.

That is kind of the concept I think I am getting at. The constant effort to improve your ride no matter what your budget may be.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Stephan S

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:31 am »

Thanks Fab! I even forgot about the Local Motion sticker...

Der Kleiner Panzers
nicolas

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 08:42:49 am »

just read an article in Ultra vw about a speedster porsche:

it is the reason why the porsche speedster were produced. this was teh idea of John van Neumann...

porsche should build a lightweight, no-frills sports car which could be raced on sunday and driven to work on Monday.

i think the same about callook cars. and i am sure they are born form the same idea more than 40 years ago. most of us now have second cars and try to 'save' the bug, ghia, type3,... from everday abuse. and that is fine by me, but i still like the idea of a car registered and being driven on  a regular basis. my car isn't perfect, but it was never really ment to be as i want to drive it and 'fix' things as i go along. i know it is the 'expensive' way as i will buy lots of stuff that never going to be used properly, but it is my hobby and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.  Grin

(btw keith, i have been quoting and naming your little mag a lot lately, is there a t-shirt waiting for me  Grin )

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 18:45:00 pm »

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
lawrence

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 06:52:42 am »

A California look VW is simple, clean, and fast. It should be street driven and taken to the track when the opportunity presents itself. I will not list what car should or should not have because I did not create this look.

The California look includes a lifestyle that is gained by meeting like-minded people. Gathering at my friends house to work on cars, bench racing, and heading to cruise nights are usual for me.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
folkevogn

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 13:06:04 pm »

From reading these answers I get more confused than ever?

Cal look is about attitude?
Cal look is about cleanliness?
Cal look is about no frills?
Cal look is about pleasing all tastes?
Cal look is about here and now?
Cal look is about then?
Cal look is a stock VW but lowered?
Cal look is about show points?
Cal look is about being a member of a club?
Cal look is about driving?
Cal look is about living in California?
Cal look is about tuning the car for years?
Cal look is about anything but trailers?
Cal look is about talking trash about other opinions?
Cal look is about patting backs?
Cal look is about who is in the club and who is out?
Cal look is about respect?
Cal look is about the right parts owned by the right guy?
Cal look is about wearing helmet and taking names?  Smiley

Nah...

I'm sticking with the idea I got from KS Bible, Cal-look is a VW turned seventies sports car.

To answer the question, Cal-look means (to (only?) me) " A Lowered VW with sports car influences"

And luckily all these guys owning these cars, are usually cool people...  Wink

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: