The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:59:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  '75 Original Hot VW Cover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: '75 Original Hot VW Cover  (Read 82514 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2008, 13:02:36 pm »

oh well - but don't worry I have found a place that does VERY good repro's  Wink Smiley

But do you know what its running on the rear Huh you can see the tread quite well in the large front quarter shot

can anyone help Huh Smiley

lee on the feb 75 it written that jim had 185 pirelli radials at rear & 135 15 goodrich radials at front  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2008, 20:49:14 pm »

oh well - but don't worry I have found a place that does VERY good repro's  Wink Smiley

But do you know what its running on the rear Huh you can see the tread quite well in the large front quarter shot

lee on the feb 75 it written that jim had 185 pirelli radials at rear & 135 15 goodrich radials at front  Wink

That's been a long time ago but that's got to be the case, as stated by the '75 Feb issue. Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2008, 22:05:57 pm »

This has been posted somewhere on here before, but I just had to post it here. Nice price too  Grin
Hoping for forgiveness from Speedwell for stealing it from his blog  Wink

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
deano

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2008, 22:32:09 pm »

Hey, I just called the phone number listed and they still have the car in the garage....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2008, 22:38:54 pm »

Hey, I just called the phone number listed and they still have the car in the garage....
Grin Grin Grin to bad dean  Wink

deano

« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2008, 22:41:06 pm »

Jim's car would be worth easily 20x times that today...

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2008, 23:23:28 pm »

Jim's car would be worth easily 20x times that today...

The original? In it's 1975 form? I bet it would go for six figures.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2008, 23:56:16 pm »

This has been posted somewhere on here before, but I just had to post it here. Nice price too  Grin

Well, this is too weird...  The address in this ad is the address of the condo where Greg and I lived in '75 and I don't remember ever wanting to sell the car at that time, or even running an ad to sell it.  Maybe it's old age on my part... ???and I'm wrong.  The picture in the ad was taken at the time of the cover shot was taken.  I moved from that address also in '75, got married in '76 and in '79 the car (sadly to say) became "Unpractical" to be driving daily, for my only means of transportation. Also, needing some money at the time, is when I decided to sell it. I did get that amount or very close to it!
I'm going to double check with Greg about me trying to sell the car while we lived at that address and if he proves me wrong, I'll be back to let you all know. Huh Shocked Smiley
If anyone knows where this ad was posted and the date, I'd like to know!

Thanks.....  Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2008, 00:49:54 am »

Funny Dean, think I'll give the number a call....maybe I can get it back! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2008, 01:07:49 am »

Really cool to read your stories and information about this car Jim.
Speedwell scanned it and should know when and where the ad was placed.

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2008, 05:07:02 am »

wow guys great reading/ scott bakken
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41:47 am »

Well, this is too weird...  The address in this ad is the address of the condo where Greg and I lived in '75 and I don't remember ever wanting to sell the car at that time, or even running an ad to sell it.  Maybe it's old age on my part... ???and I'm wrong.  The picture in the ad was taken at the time of the cover shot was taken.  I moved from that address also in '75, got married in '76 and in '79 the car (sadly to say) became "Unpractical" to be driving daily, for my only means of transportation. Also, needing some money at the time, is when I decided to sell it. I did get that amount or very close to it!
I'm going to double check with Greg about me trying to sell the car while we lived at that address and if he proves me wrong, I'll be back to let you all know. Huh Shocked Smiley

Thanks.....  Jim
jim the add was in the hot vws may 75   Shocked
jim you owned the car still 79 Huh
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:43:21 am by speedwell » Logged

jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2008, 01:40:03 am »

Thanks.....  Jim
jim the add was in the hot vws may 75   Shocked

Hi Speedwell,
Yes, that's true..  I sold the car in '79.  Maybe Deano can shine some light on that ad that ran in Hot VW's?  Like I said above, I can't remember even wanting to sell the car at that time but according to this ad, it looks like I was considering it for some odd reason.  Glad I changed my mind (if it's true) and right now, I wish I still had it.  Having that along with my 911 would really be a blast... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2008, 04:01:09 am »

The good old days when you weren't afraid to put an address in a for sale ad.
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2008, 18:06:35 pm »

wow guys great reading/ scott bakken

Very cool shot of Scott's car!  I did get the chance to meet Scott (at Sarges house) and even go for a ride in his car, a few years back. He's a great guy and took me for a "hair raising" ride around the neighbor hood. It was so much like mine that I felt like I was reliving the past. Fun memories! Grin

Does anyone know if he still owns the car and what he's up too now?

Der Kleiner Panzers
sqaukinbakken

« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2008, 20:28:13 pm »

jim i still have the car lots of stickers racing super gas still think im a 16 yr old kid take care buddy . SCOTT BAKKEN
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2008, 21:02:51 pm »

scott i know  that the stickers are there for yours sponsor  Roll Eyes   but think you of giving one day the car in his normal configuration, brm, no stickers and the other modifications which you would have made on the car
have you some pictures from the inside  now , did you remove the rear bucket seat Huh
rgd
fabs

sqaukinbakken

« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2008, 21:34:03 pm »

INSIDE IS THE SAME  W BLACK ROLL BAR INSTEAD OF CHROME AS IT WAS IN MAGAZINE/SCOTT
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2008, 04:39:20 am »

jim i still have the car lots of stickers racing super gas still think im a 16 yr old kid take care buddy . SCOTT BAKKEN

Cool Scott, glad to hear your still having fun with it all!! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:58 am »

Pirelli Cinturato's  CN36's 185/70x15 on the rear

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
peach_

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2008, 18:20:13 pm »

mint thread!!

great for a young gun like myself to learn all about the way this sence started off and thanks to speed well for the link

Grin

p.s sorry to bring it back but thought it should be up the top, stops ppl like me pestering lol

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2009, 23:46:23 pm »

Thanks.....  Jim
jim the add was in the hot vws may 75   Shocked

Hi Speedwell,
Yes, that's true..  I sold the car in '79.  Maybe Deano can shine some light on that ad that ran in Hot VW's?  Like I said above, I can't remember even wanting to sell the car at that time but according to this ad, it looks like I was considering it for some odd reason.  Glad I changed my mind (if it's true) and right now, I wish I still had it.  Having that along with my 911 would really be a blast... Grin

jim why don't you go into dkp II with the car Huh as you kept he car still 79  Roll Eyes

deano

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

That original cover shot was taken in late November, early Decemeber, and 10-11 am. That's what is needed to get the lighting just right.... Coming up soon...

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
bilboa2

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2009, 02:17:06 am »

Ok, Here is the way I have it.. Kieth from la habra bought the car from jim, when I was in dkp 2. I bought it from kieth , $3500 and I owned it for around 3 yrs. I was living in balboa with roger grago and wanted to get a 911. I later sold it to christi for 4000. The ck was from her grandma to me , like 2 other cars i sold her. Great grandma, still kick'n too..I think clyde berg got the wheels, ?? A old vw guy named fred elliot seemed to be involved in the next sale. Heard it was a baja too. Yes, I have "brm finger".. (ask doug berg)..Christi has a mental block on what happened when i ask her..Damm, I wish I still had that car..   I changed the radio in the glove box to a blaupunkt. I remember driving to sacramento bugorama with kieth goss shotgun and doug and clyde berg in the backseat. Got first place in the car show. Still have the trophy, says bugorama III. Got an old photo of it in the car show. Doug did a great hand drawing too, but it faded away to nothing. Previous owner kieth gave a few nice black and white photos of car. Will try to scan a post. Remember back then, These cars where are only cars, daily drivers..Could never afford to have two, sell one ,financing the next one. I just had to have a 911.. I remember mark thurber building his red one, greg, doing a green one. ron just got his black 2.2 then i think. Roger really helped me alot on my 72 2.7 euro spec grand prix white 911. Built it,flogged it, went to jail, sold it. Bought a land cruiser....Oh yeah, roger,, according to the OTHER post I really had to twist your arm on partying...Remember, "first ones free" saying?..Like I said living in orange county "growing up" was the BEST for a car guy...bill
GASBNR

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2009, 03:42:57 am »

Such a great thread,

Slightly off topic, dose anyone know where to buy/get a poster of the cover of feb75......would make a great addition to my workshop,

Cheers OL

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
deano

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2009, 04:48:42 am »

And I could have bought it from Christi for $1200..... (minus a few treasures)

Ok, Here is the way I have it.. Kieth from la habra bought the car from jim, when I was in dkp 2. I bought it from kieth , $3500 and I owned it for around 3 yrs. I was living in balboa with roger grago and wanted to get a 911. I later sold it to christi for 4000. The ck was from her grandma to me , like 2 other cars i sold her. Great grandma, still kick'n too..I think clyde berg got the wheels, ?? A old vw guy named fred elliot seemed to be involved in the next sale. Heard it was a baja too. Yes, I have "brm finger".. (ask doug berg)..Christi has a mental block on what happened when i ask her..Damm, I wish I still had that car..   I changed the radio in the glove box to a blaupunkt. I remember driving to sacramento bugorama with kieth goss shotgun and doug and clyde berg in the backseat. Got first place in the car show. Still have the trophy, says bugorama III. Got an old photo of it in the car show. Doug did a great hand drawing too, but it faded away to nothing. Previous owner kieth gave a few nice black and white photos of car. Will try to scan a post. Remember back then, These cars where are only cars, daily drivers..Could never afford to have two, sell one ,financing the next one. I just had to have a 911.. I remember mark thurber building his red one, greg, doing a green one. ron just got his black 2.2 then i think. Roger really helped me alot on my 72 2.7 euro spec grand prix white 911. Built it,flogged it, went to jail, sold it. Bought a land cruiser....Oh yeah, roger,, according to the OTHER post I really had to twist your arm on partying...Remember, "first ones free" saying?..Like I said living in orange county "growing up" was the BEST for a car guy...bill

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:09 am »

That original cover shot was taken in late November, early Decemeber, and 10-11 am. That's what is needed to get the lighting just right.... Coming up soon...
Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2009, 10:07:54 am »

Wink

Cornpanzer

« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2009, 23:57:53 pm »

Bill...slightly OT, but do you have any pics of the 911?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
bilboa2

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2009, 05:51:28 am »

Sorry to say, I cannot find any pics of my 911. I wish I had taken more pictures of my cars, as I have had quite a few nice ones, always changing the look,engines etc, like my current bahama blue 65. The look of the aronson/holmes 63 car when I had it did not have dkp stickers or brads uph decals in vent windows. It did have the push button starter, and I changed it to a key set up. The steering wheel was different too,I think maybe a carrera style? I always thought the dome light in the dash was neat too. I have to say scott did an excellent job on his car. I just wish he would race it without the decals all over the side and step up and buy some of those original brm sets, HA,($$$). His car is freaking fast.. A 2332, fk89 that has run a 11.30. He is one heck of a driver too. billl
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: