The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 17:47:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  whittier blvd.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whittier blvd.  (Read 7500 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« on: January 17, 2008, 18:13:19 pm »

any good stories

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 18:15:16 pm »

any good stories

No,

But I thought maybe you could tell some... Wink Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 20:07:29 pm »

any good stories

Shall I? Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 20:13:13 pm »

Sure... Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 21:13:54 pm »

if nothing else gleen talk about knocking down motorcycle cops

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 23:49:17 pm »

if nothing else gleen talk about knocking down motorcycle cops

This will take a little while, I'll post it here later. Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 05:20:37 am »

I remember cruising Whittier blvd in the 70's with my VW going to Bob's Big Boy and cruising to Stick City on the corner of Whittier and Beach blvd is where they had all of different style V8 Hot Rod for sale. And from there I would cruise to Van Nuys blvd to see more hot rods. Good old days.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
deano

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:44:55 am »

I burned up a ton of gas between cruising Bob's Big Boy in Whittier, then back to Stick City in La Habra, then way the heck over to Fullerton and Carl's. Whittier Blvd was the place to be in the '60s. I still have a car hop menu from 1969 which I "borrowed" from Bob's (we used to call it Slob's). A Big Boy Combo was $1.65, and a Coke was 15 cents. I did my first burnout on Whittier Blvd, right after I put on dual 48 IDAs. My buddy had his wedding reception at El Cholo in La Habra, and I lite up the tires across all four lanes. I don't think anyone at Mike's wedding had ever seen a VW smoke the tires.... Too much fun, too much beer.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:15:07 am »

back then the guys from dkk where the shit. all the cars where painted, alloys, big motors, all the stuff to look up to. i  think it got me into it even more .seams like a life time ago. lot of cool cars and street raceing going on then. hell you could almost drive around with a beer between your legs back then, i heard.

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 17:51:51 pm »

hell you could almost drive around with a beer between your legs back then, i heard.

Or a bong.... so I heard anyway!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 18:09:02 pm »

I burned up a ton of gas between cruising Bob's Big Boy in Whittier, then back to Stick City in La Habra, then way the heck over to Fullerton and Carl's. Whittier Blvd was the place to be in the '60s. I still have a car hop menu from 1969 which I "borrowed" from Bob's (we used to call it Slob's). A Big Boy Combo was $1.65, and a Coke was 15 cents. I did my first burnout on Whittier Blvd, right after I put on dual 48 IDAs. My buddy had his wedding reception at El Cholo in La Habra, and I lite up the tires across all four lanes. I don't think anyone at Mike's wedding had ever seen a VW smoke the tires.... Too much fun, too much beer.
LOL Deano those were the Days El Cholo Was one of my Hang Out's  I remember walking Across the Street To Don Steves Chevrolet and Checking out The Brand New 69 Z28's. then later in life When I was in DVB in 1975 we use to also Cruise Knotts Berry Farm and Beach Blvd. use to always go to Farrels Ice Cream on Beach After the Club Meetings On Sunday with the Club Members racing each other from Light to light  on the Way There those were the Good Times or hanging out at Orangethrope and Brookhurst on sunday night with al the L.A. County Street Racers and Big Willie The V8's wanted nothing to do with the VW's  we use to try and set up Races with them but they always said I am not Racing one of those Sewing Machines with Dual Tolets  We always ended up leaving together and going street Racing VW Club against VW Club or ended up at Camolot in Fullerton
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 18:10:44 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 19:42:58 pm »

TOOK THE WIFE TO DINNER AT EL CHOLO LAST WEEK...STILL HAS GREAT MEXICAN FOOD... Grin

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
deano

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 19:56:51 pm »

I grew up (well sorta), right down the street from El Cholo and MacDonalds in La Habra. So when we drove down my street (Cypress), we had to choose which way to go. Should we turn right for Bob's, or left for Carl's? Biggest decision we had to make, other than who had an extra $1.29 for a six pack of Coors.

Here's one for the books. There was a major auto accident on Whittier Blvd. one night, and all the power was out for about 2 city blocks. We were crusing around and decided that the coolest place to go with lights out was the 300 Bowl (bowling alley). Once we got inside, everyone was just drinking beer and you couldn't see sh*t. So, we then decided to roll some bowling balls out the front door, since nobody could see us anyway. Once outside, we loaded them up in the car, and went crusing again. Driving up Fullerton Road about 65mph, we tossed the bowling balls out the window, and one of them passed us on the left going ludicrous speed (see Space Balls for more information). That ball hit the corner curb and shot over this house and out of sight. We gave up bowling after that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 20:19:45 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 01:41:18 am »

hey rick that would have been against the law. do you recall who was raceing steve wilkerson when he beat them and they backed onto ghia and broke the glass nose, when he went to collect his money. he made pretty good side money on that car. I remeber one night he raced some kids in a trans am , and they had no money ,he set the thing up in the middle of nowhere and raced him for his distibutor cap and won. and the kid gave it to him. and steve was one of the first to run his muffler under the car. we all called them turbo mufflers

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:23 am »

hey rick that would have been against the law. do you recall who was raceing steve wilkerson when he beat them and they backed onto ghia and broke the glass nose, when he went to collect his money. he made pretty good side money on that car. I remeber one night he raced some kids in a trans am , and they had no money ,he set the thing up in the middle of nowhere and raced him for his distibutor cap and won. and the kid gave it to him. and steve was one of the first to run his muffler under the car. we all called them turbo mufflers

And of course... we'd never break the law!  Grin

Here's what I remember that. I thought Steve was racing a Nova for $$$. The Ghia still had a steel nose on it. Anyway the dipshit backed over the nose of the Ghia. The rear bumper caught it about headlight level and just crushed it. He couldn't afford to fix the nose so he put the glass nose on it.

LOL... I had forgotten about the distributor cap race until you said something... true story.

Yes Steve had the bright idea to run the turbo muffler under the car. My '67 was the 2nd car to run that system and I still have the muffler and associated hardware. I plan on either running it or having Tiger weld me up a replica on one of his headers.

nlvtinman

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 03:28:34 am »

I'd be guessing, as memory seems to fade when ya are in your 50's- LOL .
Probably it was around 1975. I recall cruzing the blvd in my near stock '53 Kabriolett.
I remember that we turned 'round in a parking lot, and there was one of the earliy vintage collectors there. Kerry Morse (if that rings a bell with anyone?)was there driving his Citroen Deux Chevaux. Knowing he also owned a split, I remember flipping up the semiphore from the rear quarter panel as I exited back onto Whitter Blvd. He got a look on his face, realizing he'd just seen an early VW kab pass him by.  We just kept going, laughing.  We knew knew he knew. 
A year later I turned that car into a true 70's look car- Berg 1776, real BRM's , Porsche A brakes, close ratio gear box. It was the car I owned when I helped found the DSK.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 03:34:49 am »

Haven't quite hit 50 yet!

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 10:57:57 am »

Probably it was around 1975. I recall cruzing the blvd in my near stock '53 Kabriolett.
I remember that we turned 'round in a parking lot, and there was one of the earliy vintage collectors there. Kerry Morse (if that rings a bell with anyone?)was there driving his Citroen Deux Chevaux. Knowing he also owned a split, I remember flipping up the semiphore from the rear quarter panel as I exited back onto Whitter Blvd. He got a look on his face, realizing he'd just seen an early VW kab pass him by.  We just kept going, laughing.  We knew knew he knew. 
A year later I turned that car into a true 70's look car- Berg 1776, real BRM's , Porsche A brakes, close ratio gear box. It was the car I owned when I helped found the DSK.
Kerry Morse, eh? BIG name in vintage Porsche race car restoration etc.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 11:03:13 am »

here's your car

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 14:52:20 pm »

I remeber one night he raced some kids in a trans am , and they had no money ,he set the thing up in the middle of nowhere and raced him for his distibutor cap and won. and the kid gave it to him.

Too much fun!! Cheesy Cheesy
nlvtinman

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 15:27:18 pm »

Fast Brit,

Yep the same Kerry Morse. Many years later my trade of auto restorer brought he and I into contact while I was involved restoring some Porsche prototype race cars, a couple 906's and and 917-023.
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 17:23:32 pm »

I sold lots of Porsche parts to Kerry when he was at Troutman as well as VW stuff for his Diesel PU while here at Commonwealth.  Small world!  Wink

DKP III
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 21:57:07 pm »

I can totally relate to your story Dean.  It was the BIG cruse and happening area to be in. Greg Bunch and I spent our hours cleaning our cars getting ready for a nice warm cruse night down Whittier Blvd.  Oh, and Carl's, remember the "all you eat" chicken dinner night when all of us from DKP would show up. We'd all sit together in the back and have a "chicken eating contest".  We ate sooo much chicken, it was unreal. The restaurant  people just wanted to get us out of there so the chicken started coming out to us under cooked (red inside). Roll Eyes Huh If we weren't sick enough from all grease we then had to deal with under cooked chicken... Tongue Fun times, I think Don Crane won a few times along with Doug Gorden (nicked named "The Mass") Cheesy Grin
Fun Times...
Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 22:02:28 pm »

Rick I have a photo of Steve Wilkersons Ghia with the crushed in headlight with a frisbee stuck into it.  When we were at some park polishing the cars and club b.s. stuff.  Its a great pic but I dont know how to post pics here.  What do I do?
Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 22:09:16 pm »

I grew up (well sorta), right down the street from El Cholo and MacDonalds in La Habra. So when we drove down my street (Cypress), we had to choose which way to go. Should we turn right for Bob's, or left for Carl's? Biggest decision we had to make, other than who had an extra $1.29 for a six pack of Coors.

Here's one for the books. There was a major auto accident on Whittier Blvd. one night, and all the power was out for about 2 city blocks. We were crusing around and decided that the coolest place to go with lights out was the 300 Bowl (bowling alley). Once we got inside, everyone was just drinking beer and you couldn't see sh*t. So, we then decided to roll some bowling balls out the front door, since nobody could see us anyway. Once outside, we loaded them up in the car, and went crusing again. Driving up Fullerton Road about 65mph, we tossed the bowling balls out the window, and one of them passed us on the left going ludicrous speed (see Space Balls for more information). That ball hit the corner curb and shot over this house and out of sight. We gave up bowling after that.

I worked at both the Mc Donald's ($.15 hamburgers / $.10 fries) and El Cholo before leaving for the Army in 1967...those really were the days!

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 22:13:46 pm »

Rick I have a photo of Steve Wilkersons Ghia with the crushed in headlight with a frisbee stuck into it.  When we were at some park polishing the cars and club b.s. stuff.  Its a great pic but I dont know how to post pics here.  What do I do?
Worm

Fabs wrote up a good how to for posting pics here:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3632.0.html

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 22:28:40 pm »

Worm

Assuming that you have scanned into the computer look at the thread that Louis recommended.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 04:59:41 am »

any body rememeber the flasher chicks in the blue mazda pick up?  they were there like every friday and saturday. there were also these two chicks in ghias one red and one white. the chick in the red ghia asked me how i kept my wheels so clean, so i told her ez off oven cleaner. man she was man as hell the next time i saw here.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02:56 am »

any body rememeber the flasher chicks in the blue mazda pick up?

Maybe!  Grin Grin Grin

Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 05:16:25 am »

Haven't quite hit 50 yet!

Wow, you're old! LOL! I have way too many stories from cruising the blvd. having grown up in Whittier. That is where I 1st met Mark Ramirez when he had a red sedan with Rivieras. Used to be able to park @ any of the businesses & just hang out. After they closed down the parking, there was hanging out @ Scottie's Burgers(c/o Whittier & Ocean View) listening to all of the fools negotiating a "friendly" street race.There were the light to light drag races. There was a nite when I thought I was going to jail with Joe Larson after he made a right turn from the left lane went  S on Colima then tried to outrun the police through the residential area, not a good idea. Cruising 5 mph or so, holding up traffic talking to the young ladies. I could go on, but I won't.

Kevan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: