The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:13:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  This space reserved for D.K.K. club photos... dig?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: This space reserved for D.K.K. club photos... dig?  (Read 60951 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: February 13, 2008, 21:22:37 pm »

Hey, DEEKS! You know who you are. Let's see them old club photos of us being DEEKS. Get those albums out, go to your attics, basements, whatever and make it happen.

Kevan "Lemons" Wood's kickass K.G.

Best one ever built, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Random shots from Bug-In 26

Top left: Todd Fuller's K.G. trunk.
Top right: Lisa Maxwell... whatever happened to her?
Middle right: The scene... made a busy day at Disneyland look like Romper Room.
Bottom left: Brennan's Oval and Bob's (I think that's his name) Notch.
Bottom right: Fuller's K.G. engine. Super sano car!

This is, I'm guessing, at El Dorado Park for either that Club Day photoshoot (see VW Trends cover) or a random gathering of our cars. Could be either one. Can't remember.

Top: I see the front wheel on Vince Ito's Bug, Lisa's, someone's Notch in the back, Alex's 'glass Heb, and I can't make out the other cars.
Bottom: I remember climbing up in a tree and takin' this shot. Rick Meredith's car, McNew's, mine, Alex's, and someone's clean Mopar.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 22:21:14 pm »

arghhhhhhhhhhhh you will kill me with this old stuff
awesome
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:46:09 am »

arghhhhhhhhhhhh you will kill me with this old stuff
awesome
fabs
Glad that you're diggin' on the old stuff, Mr. Well.

On the way back from one of the Bug-In events, my best friend decided to take three sequential pictures of me passing him while he rode in McNew's old Squareback.

Ah, back when the freeways were a LOT less crowded and we could actually get our cars in the triple digit range.

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:58:25 am »

Some more random D.K.K. pictures here...

These are the club cards that we used to carry. Once in a blue moon, we'd see a nice car and leave one of the cards on it, filled out with contact information. It was an honor to walk out and see that beige card on your ride.

Can't remember who's car this is... Rick? Bill? Worm? Anyone?

Normally, I don't care for cars with chopped roofs. This one, however, had outstanding structural craftsmanship and was actually done quite nicely. I think his name was Kevin. At the time, he was one of the producers at So Cal's famous KROQ 106.7fm radio station. (back when it actually played good punk music, before the emo crap they're playin' now)

I used to joke with Kev and tell him that the car merely needed alloys and Euro bumpers. That's all I'd do to it. Oh yeah... the car hauled ass, too.

I forgot what happened to Henry Mayeda's previous light blue Bug w/EMPI 8 spokes... but his next car was this gorgeous Karmann Ghia convertible.

Car drove very nice and was quite the looker.

This good lookin' Bus was Mark Ito's and the yellow Bug was his brother, Vince's. Two funny and great guys to hangout with. We were blessed with having our own in-house artist... Vince. He drew our fliers and anything that we needed.

Example of some of Vince's artwork... the stickers for his brother, Mark's, shop.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:03:53 am »

Can't remember who's car this is... Rick? Bill? Worm? Anyone?

I can't remember whose car it was. I do remember that it was sold to someone who lived in my area. I remember chasing the guy down with a razor blade to remove his stickers!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:14:04 am »

I can't remember whose car it was. I do remember that it was sold to someone who lived in my area. I remember chasing the guy down with a razor blade to remove his stickers!  Wink

Oh, YEAH! That was a huge thing, back then. If you sold your car to a non-member... BAD NEWS. Heard a few stories about that with D.K.K. and D.K.P. cars. The day that I (regretfully) sold my orange car, the kid was all bummed out. I gave the car away for next to nothing and he had the nerve to ask where the EMPI stuff was. Same with the club stickers, different Euro and vintage U.S. license plates, magazines, pics, and other stuff that he thought he was getting. I laughed and reminded him that I'd be stripping the car of all those things, the first time he came over. Next day, he was shocked to see that it had a three spoke Porsche 911 steering wheel and a set of N.O.S. Porsche 356 silber wheels. My boss at the Porsche dealer let me have parts from the Take-Off bin for either nothing or extremely cheap. Which worked out nice for my Bugs. Also for my Golfs which took Audi steering wheels and Ronal Quattro wheels.

But what made me laugh the hardest... him asking why I razored off the D.K.K. stickers! Too funny! To which I replied, "You want those stickers back on this car? Simple. Start attending the club meetings and events and try to get voted in."

(insert Dr. Evil laugh here)

~Sarge
Turtle001

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:26:35 am »

Hi fred -- do you have those pictures in high resolution? they are the perfect ornament for my garage! Cheesy

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:16:17 am »

Hi fred -- do you have those pictures in high resolution? they are the perfect ornament for my garage! Cheesy

Not at the moment, Turtle... sorry. I just simply took pictures of pictures. Soon as I get out and buy a new scanner, I'll make some high resolution stuff for anyone that wants 'em.

~Sarge
Matt H

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:34:44 am »

Hell that Mopar in that photo would be worth some coin right now
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:02 am »

But what made me laugh the hardest... him asking why I razored off the D.K.K. stickers! Too funny! To which I replied, "You want those stickers back on this car? Simple. Start attending the club meetings and events and try to get voted in."

(insert Dr. Evil laugh here)

Ya can't buy cool!
  Grin Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:25 am »

Hell that Mopar in that photo would be worth some coin right now

A Dart Swinger??

Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 05:11:28 am »

Ya can't buy cool!  Grin Grin Grin

HAHAHA!!! Amen, brother.

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 05:55:14 am »

Fred, Awesome post!  I can't believe you have those pics.  Great shots all.  You mentioned Ronal wheels for the Audi.  Jeez, I was the domestic sales dick for Ronal back in the old R9 days.  I worked for a German fella named Percy Herman.  I loved calling him "Percy".  Funny. Worked there a few years then left before they came out with that awful "Teddy Bear" wheel.  It was a pretty sheeety gig looking back on it.
Anyways, take your pics to Target.  Yes Target.  Its totally free to scan them in their Photo Dept.  Then when done scanning, it costs about $4 bucks for the finished CD.  I did it.  Its amazingly cheap and simple.  Buy a scanner?  Why?  Target baby!

Keep those photos a comin'.  Still can't believe you still have some DKK biz cards.  How did those NOT disappear or disintigrate over the years?

Really cool.
P.S. Heres two more

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 06:07:17 am »

Heres Bob Davis on the left, and Dean Sellers next to him.  The green car was Bob's.  I think thats Wilkerson (or Hicken) and Ramirez with their backs turned.  I can totally tell its Ramirez for sure with THAT hair.  Man we had some bad hairstyles back then.  Just wish I had hair to style these days.  whoa

The next one is Cory Oldroyd's Ghia.  This car was WHITE.  So much it almost hurt your eyes.  I remember on the 2.0 alloys he painted the non polished part Porsche Sepia brown.  Very different and it looked incredible.  He shaved the front turn signals and we mounted some lights inside the grills on the nose.  They were basically hidden till illuminated. Sweet ride.  I bet no one these days is cutting up their roofs and putting in aftermarket ragtops.... ha
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:09:35 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:19 am »

NICE, Worm! WOW, I can't believe it... is that Lyle Schaefer? I also see the guy leaning up against McNew's old Squareback... I'm pretty sure he was the owner of that really clean '67 Notch. Dang, those are cool pics. I'm guessin' that's Henry's red Bus with the BRMs in the background, yes? LOVED that thing.

Thanks for the tip on Target. That's WAY more in my shoestring budget than a scanner. Awesome idea.

Okay, here's a blast from the past... Bug-O-Rama in Sacto, Nor Cal back in 1980. The Ito brothers, McNew, Brent K. Dave Fong, and myself all invaded.

Here's Brent at our motel, cleaning McNew's engine compartment.

View of McNew's and my car from our room in the bottom pic.

Here, we're exiting the freeway to the car show location. Decided to snap a pic of everyone's cars in front of me.

The locals and judges didn't know what to make of our cars OR us. HAHA!! At that time, Sacto still looked like they were livin' in 1972. So they were trippin' on our punk and new wave tunes and attitudes. Funny stuff.

McNew was always doing crazyassed stuff like this...

I couldn't stop laughing each time someone peeked under his car and saw his valve covers. CLASSIC!

On the way home, Dave Fong (who rode in my car up/back) and I made a decision to hop a fence and shoot pics of his surf trunks which matched this Wonder Bread gas tank thing. We were laughin' so hard when we did this.

You can also see him trying to take the picture offa our motel room wall with my club shirt in the background. Another shot of him crashed out in my orange car while we were doin' 100+mph. GOOD TIMES!

At some point on the way home, it was discovered by Fongo and me that we accidentally took our room key home.

If y'all think THAT'S stranger than fiction... somewhere, I'm pretty sure I have the damned thing. HAHAHA!!!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:03:24 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 06:47:06 am »

NICE, Worm! WOW, I can't believe it... is that Lyle Schaefer? I also see the guy leaning up against McNew's old Squareback... I'm pretty sure he was the owner of that really clean '67 Notch. Dang, those are cool pics. I'm guessin' that's Henry's red Bus with the BRMs in the background, yes? LOVED that thing.

Thanks for the tip on Target. That's WAY more in my shoestring budget than a scanner. Awesome idea.

Didn't the bus belong to Henry's brother Paul?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 07:04:42 am »

Didn't the bus belong to Henry's brother Paul?

Cripes! You're fully correct, Rick. Dang, it sucks getting old. HAHA!! Paul Mayeda's Bus, indeed! Hey, check out the new photos I added to my post below, Rick.

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

Heres Bob Davis on the left, and Dean Sellers next to him.  The green car was Bob's.  I think thats Wilkerson (or Hicken) and Ramirez with their backs turned.  I can totally tell its Ramirez for sure with THAT hair.  Man we had some bad hairstyles back then.  Just wish I had hair to style these days.  whoa

YEP! That's Ramirez and Wilkerson, lookin' into the yellow Bus. Bob Davis! THAT'S the name. Thanks!

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 07:09:31 am »

Way cool stuff!!!

Damn I wish I took pictures!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 07:14:03 am »

Way cool stuff!!!

Thanks, Rick. I've always enjoyed taking pictures ever since I was around 8 yrs. of age. My parents always took tons of shots of all of us. So I guess it got passed on to me. I shoot photos for skateboarding and sometimes, music mags. I just dig pictures and documenting history. My sons are into it, too. My older one is taking Video and Photoshop Editing in high school. He's gettin' really good, too. I've got mega-tons of raw video footage that he's gonna edit. I only know how to edit photos, but my older boy has been teachin' this old dog new tricks on the video editor. It's FUN takin' old stuff and adding era music and doing fades and transfers.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 07:16:38 am »

Way cool stuff!!!

Thanks, Rick. I've always enjoyed taking pictures ever since I was around 8 yrs. of age. My parents always took tons of shots of all of us. So I guess it got passed on to me. I shoot photos for skateboarding and sometimes, music mags. I just dig pictures and documenting history. My sons are into it, too. My older one is taking Video and Photoshop Editing in high school. He's gettin' really good, too. I've got mega-tons of raw video footage that he's gonna edit. I only know how to edit photos, but my older boy has been teachin' this old dog new tricks on the video editor. It's FUN takin' old stuff and adding era music and doing fades and transfers.

Absolutely... I've takern a lot more pictures since I got a digital.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 07:26:02 am »

Funny... I was so against digital cameras. Then, about three years ago, I bought a Fuji S7000 from my friend who had moved on to a Nikon D2X with all of the lenses. I bought a wide angle for the Fuji and had a blast, editing, takin' pics, and even videos with it. Now, I shoot with a Nikon D70 and I can only afford two lenses; 18-70mm wide angle for skateboarding and 70-300mm zoom for surfing. Also using a Nikon SB28 Speedlight remote flash.

One more picture. Back when I had my orange car, I'd change the rear window sticker quite often. I'd get bored with one and move on to another. Had everything from a surf, skateboard, radio, band, to VW stuff, or whatever. Can't believe that I still have this one. A foil background one that was on my car for awhile. I stuck it in my photo album and it's managed to survive all of these years.

Even though we've got all of this great technology and we're able to create pics in our house, on computers... I still favor the look of good ol' fashioned film photos. Especially black & whites.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:28:18 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:22 am »

I remember change the rear window stickers on my car. My favorite was the red "W" logo from Weber or a club sticker.

Stephan S

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:41 am »

Fantastic pictures!!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 08:38:38 am »

Fantastic pictures!!!

Thank you, Stephan. Good meeting you, the other night, at Nick's. I was talking to Bill, John, and Rick when you walked in.

Susy just donated this awesome piece of D.K.K. history to share.

Thank you, Susy, for bringin' back many fond memories. I still have this dash plaque, somewhere... with my Bug-In ones. NO, they're not for sale. Unless someone comes up with a stock '67 Bug. I'll settle for white or Savannah Beige, however.

Grin
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:40:26 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 09:03:32 am »

very nice topic!

if someone needs real pictures/ prints from their black and white negatives i am up for some darkroomwork and make them.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 09:06:24 am »

very nice topic!

if someone needs real pictures/ prints from their black and white negatives i am up for some darkroomwork and make them.

Dang, that's scary... because I think that I still have the negs to every picture I've taken. And that's a LOT. A very nice offer, Nicolas. Thanks, if I ever come across those, I may take you up on that.

~Sarge
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 10:16:54 am »

Wow what a great contribution DKK Fred! We get relay spoiled with new unseen stuff here now... beyond cool!  Cool Cool Cool
It's like a new page in the Cal-look bible appears every day, THANKS!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 13:22:51 pm »

i see that mc new gave its the overriders on his bumpers and who own the yellow one with the buggy bars Huh
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 14:29:07 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 13:48:24 pm »

very nice topic!

Dang, that's scary... because I think that I still have the negs to every picture I've taken. And that's a LOT. A very nice offer, Nicolas. Thanks, if I ever come across those, I may take you up on that.

no problem, i will do my best to print what i can. this is one of my favorite things about photography. make a selection and send them to me. it would be great to contribute to all of your memories

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: