The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 23:33:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 85036 times)
kafercup

« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2010, 00:51:01 am »

I'm still in the hunt for a good, solid original Humphrey Motors plate frame from Hayward, Ca.  That's where my Aunt bought my car from back in '72.  It had the frame on it until the late eighties, but then it disappeared...... probably into the depths of my parents garage.  I'll never find it there Sad
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2010, 01:45:19 am »

Volkswagen West was in Anaheim. The '69 I bought last year came from VW West, and it still had it's original frame on it. My '79 originally came form Bob Witham in Westminster [it became Garden West Motors]. When I bought the car is had a "Keep on Buggin" frame [I still have it] on it. It took some time but I finally was able to find a set that I'll eventually redo for the car. I think that dealer was only in business a couple of years. I also worked in the parts department at Green Motors in Norwalk for about a year. I'd love to find a frame from there too.

-jeffrey
Jeffrey,
Let me know when you get your '69 to showroom condition as I have a VW West plastic insert for you! You may remember they were our "go to" dealer at Rollings Automotive in the early 80's, so somehow I picked one up. No plate frames though. My scanner is still broke so I can't tease you with a pic of it either!
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2010, 04:55:26 am »

What insert? Where does it go?

-jeffrey

glenn

« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2010, 05:02:10 am »

I want one of these.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
simon uk

« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2010, 05:13:20 am »

Volkswagen West was in Anaheim. The '69 I bought last year came from VW West, and it still had it's original frame on it. My '79 originally came form Bob Witham in Westminster [it became Garden West Motors]. When I bought the car is had a "Keep on Buggin" frame [I still have it] on it. It took some time but I finally was able to find a set that I'll eventually redo for the car. I think that dealer was only in business a couple of years. I also worked in the parts department at Green Motors in Norwalk for about a year. I'd love to find a frame from there too.

-jeffrey

I have had a metal Green motors frame, I probably sold it a year or so ago. I am sure I have a pic on my work pc, and if i do, I will post the pic. I also have a nice Garden West, Westminster frame, hung up in my garage - I will post a pic of that one as well. According to thesamba, Garden West was opened in the mid 60s. If you are interested in a swap, I might be up for it?
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2010, 16:02:32 pm »

-jeffrey

I think he's referring to what we used to call paper plate, Jeffrey. I still have a Cypress VW and Circle Porsche+Audi one.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2010, 16:14:38 pm »

According to thesamba, Garden West was opened in the mid 60s. If you are interested in a swap, I might be up for it?

Then Bob Witham may have come after Garden West because my vert is a '79. I bought it in '83 with the original dealer info in it.

As for the insert/paper plate, that would be cool. Bruce, let em know what you want for it off line and maybe we can make a deal.

-jeffrey

61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #217 on: January 01, 2010, 19:10:13 pm »

-jeffrey
The ones for new cars without plates. Same size/shape as a plate, but says VW West.
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2010, 20:58:00 pm »

Thanks Bruce. yer the man!

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2010, 21:35:15 pm »

Then Bob Witham may have come after Garden West because my vert is a '79.

Now THAT frame, I have.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 21:36:56 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
low oval
DKK

« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2010, 21:49:59 pm »

very nice collection. I see a few that I would look good on my cars.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2010, 22:02:15 pm »

I already got two of the Bob Witham frames, I just need to get them restored.

Anyone have a resource to restore frames? I understand that these pot-metal pieces can be challenging [so I've heard]. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

-jeffrey

Neil Davies

« Reply #222 on: January 01, 2010, 22:16:37 pm »

I already got two of the Bob Witham frames, I just need to get them restored.

Anyone have a resource to restore frames? I understand that these pot-metal pieces can be challenging [so I've heard]. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

-jeffrey
I'd like to know how to restore them too - I've got a Cotton Goff VW Porsche one and a Don Burns Garden Grove one that both need work.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
simon uk

« Reply #223 on: January 01, 2010, 23:47:29 pm »

regarding restoring them, I have had a few re-chromed, with varying results - the more work you put into rubbing them smooth/ rubbing the pitting out/ or having them in good original condtion, the better the final result will be. Who you then get to redo the paint, Im not sure, but on mine, I have masked off the lettering area, spray painted it, then cleaned the paint back off the lettering and logos with wire wool, and if you are careful, you get almost perfect paint coverage in the small detail areas.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2010, 01:55:14 am »

Jeffrey,
I had my bill yates chromed, not finished with it yet, but I am happy with the results. 

here's the one I got at the classic

after rechroming, still going to paint it blue at the lettering.

here's a similar frame chromed and painted (restored).
happy new year, hope to see ya again this year.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2010, 17:41:36 pm »

Right on, Jim... that Yates frame turned out nice. What color are you going for on the background? Black, maroon?

~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2010, 23:22:19 pm »

Yummy........    Not mine but I know where this one lives now...... Cool Wink

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: