The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 21:50:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 85033 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 19:18:23 pm »

I used to have some somewhat cool ones.... no pics though,

80's era Buggy House frame, complete with palm trees....

and about 10 yr ago I found a nice "Keep on Buggin'" frame, gave it to a friend to polish up for me, never got it back  Sad

I run a Bursch frame now,  Porsche exhaust guys from Pasadena
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 20:29:20 pm »

Mark, you'll be happy that the fuzz doesn't gang up on us anymore. They chase after th e JT's now! It's alot easier to keep a clean record!

HAHA!! J.T. you're the only one besides Joe and me that still uses that. CLASSIC. Good to know about the change regarding target activity, John. It was quite the opposite back in the '80s as many of you will remember. I was always getting pulled over. Of course, my car wasn't exactly camouflage, either. Hee!

One night, after cruising Whittier Blvd. in my orange car, I stopped in where my friend, Robert, worked the graveyard shift at Winchell's Donuts on Lakewood Blvd. & Carson St. Drinkin' coffee, sodas, and day old hockey-puck durometer deep fried goodness... and this C.H.P. patrolman walks in. He sits at the counter and starts eating the fresh donuts and asks, "Who's orange Bug is that?" I was behind the counter and I told him it was mine. He walked me out to my car. He points to the license plate and tells me that I had better have the legal one in the car. I was shocked that I left my show plate on there. D'OH! It's a black CA plate with only a bright yellow 1966 tag/sticker on it. I totally forgot to change it back to the registered black CA original plate, which was under the seat. I apologized and told him I'd change right then and there. Explained that I had entered the car in a car show and forgot about the plate switch. He was totally cool and asked to see the rest of the car. He was blown away that the engine and trunk areas were clean enough to eat off of. HAHA!!

I always ran around with German plates on my car or the oval Z plates (from cargo ship transports) and got away with that for many years. My problem was speeding and racing other cars. I finally slowed my game down after my two sons were born. Slow learner... but I eventually caught on.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2008, 20:31:09 pm »

I have some from Detroit do you have any of them to trade.

Let me know

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 22:17:42 pm »

On the GTV... For my '67 (hometown dealership Smiley)... And for the Fastback project

The SCAT plate is very cool to say the least.  Do you know when it was made? Just try to figure who came out with it first EMPI or SCAT ??

I've got no idea. It's never been used though. My guess that it was a Scat copy of the EMPI frame???

Here are a few more I thought were cute, none of them mine though Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 22:37:58 pm »

I have some from Detroit do you have any of them to trade.

Let me know

Frenchy

Frenchy, I'm more interested in the west coast dealerships for Porsche and Volkswagen. But I might be up for a little trading.

~Sarge
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 22:44:32 pm »

[

The SCAT plate is very cool to say the least.  Do you know when it was made? Just try to figure who came out with it first EMPI or SCAT ??
[/quote]

I've got no idea. It's never been used though. My guess that it was a Scat copy of the EMPI frame???

I was thinking the same also..need to see some early Hot Vws magazines, Scat/EMPI  catlogs to confirm...

Der Kleiner Panzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 04:50:25 am »

Cool frames, Zach.

John, I cracked up, at Nick's, when I found out that you still remembered that story after all of these years. She got that car from a priest for dirt cheap. He had bought it new in '69 and I loved the way it looked as a white car. I detailed it inside and out for her when she bought it. She already picked out her own frames for it and it still had the original black plates. Then, she painted it Easter Egg Blue. YUCK! Oh well... I still have the frames. HAHA!! I thought they were cool in 1981 or '82 and they're still neat to look at, now. I might clean 'em up and put 'em on my '67. We'll see.

BTW, if anyone has a set of black CA plates in decent condition, I'll trade some frames or buy them outright. I need the beginning letter to be T or higher. I prefer T or U but I'll settle if the plates are nice enough. Sadly, my car has new plates and I hate 'em. The rest of my cars have old/orig. plates and I gotta be consistent. HAHA!!

here you go fred Black plates starting with U http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=581790

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 06:13:55 am »

here you go fred Black plates starting with U

Thanks, Shubee... just e-mailed the guy. We'll see what happens.

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 17:22:30 pm »

here you go fred Black plates starting with U

Thanks, Shubee... just e-mailed the guy. We'll see what happens.
give him a call  Grin Dave @ (209) 769-4232

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:07 am »

Called Dave this morning and we ended up having a lengthy talk. Super cool guy.

Found this one, today. I forgot that I had these.

One of my friends made these for a few of us back in the early '80s and again in the late '80s. Those were black backgrounds and said Roq Of The '80s & '90s.

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:26 am »

Fred,
Are you getting Black plates and then..... ordering custom plates with the same numbers?  That works well.  The old Hot rod guys do it on the old water pumpers.  Just sayin'
Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2008, 05:48:46 am »

Fred,
Are you getting Black plates and then..... ordering custom plates with the same numbers?  That works well.  The old Hot rod guys do it on the old water pumpers.  Just sayin'
Worm

Nope, something different that's going into effect after July of next year.

~Sarge
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 06:05:49 am »

fred your old buddy old pal wants the whittier one when your tied of it. i will sport it forever on the '67
67worshipper

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 23:31:27 pm »

LMAO" here is one for you fred
i like this! very to the point dont ya think

vw hot rod heaven
Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 21:38:44 pm »

Well... looks like those plates that I was gonna buy don't have a clean D.M.V. title. BUMMER. The search continues. Good thing I checked 'em out before I mailed the funds. That would've sucked.

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 13:37:09 pm »

I've got no pics but I've got a couple of frames - Cotton Goff VW Porsche was on my race car for several years on a blue Cali plate last stickered in 1975. Kept that when the car went! Also got a Don Burns VW one (damaged  Sad ) and an Orange County South County one, plus a pair of repro Econo ones. Have to get some pictures one day... Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 15:50:38 pm »

i'm not trying to ruin the thread, and this post may be deleted if i can get answer, but could anyone tell me how large my license plate (width&length) should be to fit in an econo repop frame? or just the size of a Cali plate, i guess...

i don't have mine nearby at the moment and i need to know the size to see if someone can have them made for me.

thanks!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 15:58:10 pm »

You're not ruining anything... this is a discussion thread pertaining to license plates. All California plates made from 1956 on measure 6" tall and 12" wide. Hope that helps.

For $75USD, you can have these people make you an old black California plate.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/Replica%20California%20License%20Plates%20from%201963%20to%201968.html?osCsid=90b8771540a6f92f6997c9de08e7c062

Many car owners run them for their front plates, out here.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 16:05:28 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Mc New
DKK

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 16:14:01 pm »

I don't think you'll be able to title the car with black and yellows.  Sad

I see you have my much coveted Ala Moana frame too!  Wink

Rick, I've already looked into it. After January, I'll be able to legally register my '67 with black plates... STOKED on that! I forgot who, in the club, got a few of us those Ala Mo' frames. I wanna say Tod Fuller, yes? Either him or McNew.

Shubee and Zach... cool frames/plates. Keep 'em coming.

HENRY MAYEDA WENT TO HAWAII & GOT FRAMES FOR A FEW OF US................MY SORRY, BROKE ASS COULDN'T AFFORD TO GO GET MY OWN FRAME!! LOL

"If we painted a white stripe with pink polka dots down the center of our cars, people would start doing the same on theirs"
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2008, 17:57:28 pm »

I've been looking for one of those frames for years! Gotta have one for my '67!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008, 19:09:56 pm »

thanks a lot fred!!
i'm asking cos i want to have dutch plates for imported cars from the US. i'd seen that website before, but unfortunately the dutch plates they sell over there are the ones we use for modern cars (nasty yellow ones), and they don't carry dutch oldtimer plates (dark blue ones)
normally i'd need to have an exemption on my license, but i'm trying to get round that Wink
hence, my question Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rennsurfer

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 05:47:07 am »

You're quite welcome, Diederick... and good luck with your venture on those plates.

~Sarge
Cornpanzer

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2008, 20:30:37 pm »

Hey guys,
A friend of mine has a 6000 original mile 67 sedan (ruby red) that was originally sold at Spartan VW in San Jose.  A plate frame would be way cool for this car.  Can anyone help?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
kai

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »

Digging up an old thread. I've got a few cool licence plate frames, here are some of my favourites:

These are actually original Renfree dealer black plates too, there's an old sticker on the black saying so. Way cool!

NOS:

And the one on my car:

Got many more, but these are the coolest... (and no, not for sale  Wink)

Sarge

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

HOLY SHIT, a Johny Catron frame!  Now that brings back some memories.  In the late 70's, I took a job at George Follmer Porsche Audi in Pomona.  The location was the old Catron dealership and Johny used to stroll through occasionally.  Along with selling VW's, Johny played trumpet in a swing band (with only three fingers...two were missing from an accident).  I remember him as a true shyster and the inventor of the famous Catron three finger goose (what you got when you walked out the door after paying a little too much for your new car Shocked).  That frame's a keeper! Wink

DKP III
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 12:49:52 pm »

i thought you only needed 3 fingers to play the trumpet  Roll Eyes  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Sarge

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:56 pm »

i thought you only needed 3 fingers to play the trumpet  Roll Eyes  Wink

I bet Keith made you post that Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 13:26:18 pm »

i'm glad you don't live in vegas with bets like these  Wink Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rennsurfer

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 16:22:04 pm »

Kai, those are some cool license plate frames. I remember all of those. I've got a nice set of Renfree frames that I've had for about 28 years. And they're the four bolt pattern. Which means they were older. As the '70s progressed, the frame makers went to a two bolt pattern. Your dealer plates are also cool. The stickers denote the last year before the month designation was implemented in 1976. Before that, we only had the year.

~Sarge
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 19:41:20 pm »

thanks a lot fred!!
i'm asking cos i want to have dutch plates for imported cars from the US. i'd seen that website before, but unfortunately the dutch plates they sell over there are the ones we use for modern cars (nasty yellow ones), and they don't carry dutch oldtimer plates (dark blue ones)
normally i'd need to have an exemption on my license, but i'm trying to get round that Wink
hence, my question Smiley

Told you that before Died, anyway contact Ray. He had US plates done overhere in NL. Perfect.

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: