The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 22:05:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 85035 times)
simon uk

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2008, 21:54:14 pm »

keiths (first!!!) book makes reference to Schneider frames from anaheim. I have never seen one, was schneider an authorised dealer or just a repairs garage?

Si.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2008, 22:00:55 pm »

would still love to get a set of meltebeke vw in la habra frames if anyones got a set

kai

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2008, 22:27:18 pm »

@Sarge: All my frames are keepers, so the Catron one too.. It did take me some time to find one in one piece, I had bought some before but they all arrived broken at my house  Cry (also this NOS one was a set but the other one broke too)...

Kai, those are some cool license plate frames. I remember all of those. I've got a nice set of Renfree frames that I've had for about 28 years. And they're the four bolt pattern. Which means they were older. As the '70s progressed, the frame makers went to a two bolt pattern. Your dealer plates are also cool. The stickers denote the last year before the month designation was implemented in 1976. Before that, we only had the year.
Thanks! You've got some very cool ones too! If you have any Kailua VW frames you want to trade/ sell let me know.. Or any '55 and earlies vw plate frames, I'd love one in my collection.. Cool

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2008, 22:38:11 pm »

Interesting to see the Catron frame in reverse format. Very few dealer frames were made with the larger letters on top and small ones on the bottom. I only have a few like that in my collection. Vasek Polak Porsche and Newport RSR Porsche.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:27 am »

thanks a lot fred!!
i'm asking cos i want to have dutch plates for imported cars from the US. i'd seen that website before, but unfortunately the dutch plates they sell over there are the ones we use for modern cars (nasty yellow ones), and they don't carry dutch oldtimer plates (dark blue ones)
normally i'd need to have an exemption on my license, but i'm trying to get round that Wink
hence, my question Smiley

Told you that before Died, anyway contact Ray. He had US plates done overhere in NL. Perfect.

I already have my plates Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2008, 04:40:16 am »

I'm willing to buy and/or trade anyone for a certain frame that I'm looking for. It's a Lakewood Motors one. Preferably a four bolt one. Either way, it has to be in decent condition. It's going on my Zenith Blue '67. Please contact me if you know where one is. Saw one at Bug-In 33, but he didn't want to part with it and had it only for display. The guy was totally cool and GAVE me a set of reverse light wire grommet covers. Hard to find those!

Thank you in advance.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

@Sarge: All my frames are keepers, so the Catron one too.. It did take me some time to find one in one piece, I had bought some before but they all arrived broken at my house  Cry (also this NOS one was a set but the other one broke too)...

Man, that sucks...  knowing Mr C., he probably went for the cheapest of the cheap Roll Eyes  "Quality license frames" are three words that don't go in the same sentence together.  You should see  some of the crap we've had at CVW over the years Sad

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2008, 04:58:37 am »

keiths (first!!!) book makes reference to Schneider frames from anaheim. I have never seen one, was schneider an authorised dealer or just a repairs garage?

Si.

Joe Schneider's place was a repair shop that catered mainly to BMW's but he took pity on us VW guys.  That's him in the blue striped shirt at the DKP Reunion in 1990.  There were license frames as well as round, mylar window stickers. Cool Cool Cool
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:11:14 am by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
kai

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:06 am »

I'm willing to buy and/or trade anyone for a certain frame that I'm looking for. It's a Lakewood Motors one. Preferably a four bolt one. Either way, it has to be in decent condition. It's going on my Zenith Blue '67. Please contact me if you know where one is. Saw one at Bug-In 33, but he didn't want to part with it and had it only for display. The guy was totally cool and GAVE me a set of reverse light wire grommet covers. Hard to find those!

Thank you in advance.

You mean this one? You can have it restored if you want to.

Get me a Kailua frame and we'll make a deal!  Wink Cool

Rennsurfer

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2008, 15:50:57 pm »

You mean this one? You can have it restored if you want to.

Get me a Kailua frame and we'll make a deal!  Wink Cool

Cool frame, Kai! I have a later Lakewood one. I grabbed one from the Sales Dept. right before they closed down. Mine doesn't have the VW logos and I painted the background orange (same color as my first '66) and I also removed the white paint from the raised letters to expose the chrome. Looked great on my car in the '80s.

I'm trying to locate a slightly older four bolt pattern one. If I can't find one, I'll gladly take a two bolt one. The only Hawaiian frame I have is a set of Ala Moana ones. But I doubt that I'll ever part with those. They're mint condition, too.

If you ever consider selling that Lakewood frame outright, please let me know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 16:01:35 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
kai

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2008, 16:01:43 pm »

Cool frame, Kai! I have a later Lakewood one. I grabbed one from the Sales Dept. right before they closed down. Mine doesn't have the VW logos and I painted the background orange (same color as my first '66) and I also removed the white paint from the raised letters to expose the chrome. Looked great on my car in the '80s.

I'm trying to locate a slightly older four bolt pattern one. If I can't find one, I'll gladly take a two bolt one. The only Hawaiian frame I have is a set of Ala Moana ones. But I doubt that I'll ever part with those. They're mint condition, too.

Reading your description I remembered I got one like that too:

Don't have the four bolt one yet, but if I find it I will let you know..

Not really interested in selling outright, but I have a few more on my wanted list so we'll see how it goes..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 16:04:48 pm by kai » Logged

Rennsurfer

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2008, 16:31:20 pm »

Cool... thanks, Kai. Yep, your Lakewood frame is from the same era as my orange one. Those were the last batch of chrome/metal ones before they went to the plastic ones.

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2008, 17:52:27 pm »

were there any nevada frames made?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2008, 17:56:35 pm »

were there any nevada frames made?

I think so. I only have one Nevada frame in my collection. Chaisson or something like that. When McNew lived out there, I was visiting him in the mid '80s and picked up one. Many states didn't have license frames. They opted for stickers on the rear of the car, instead. Some states did both frames and stickers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 18:46:38 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2008, 17:58:30 pm »

Well lets see it {the frame}

simon uk

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2008, 18:09:05 pm »

There were a few nevada frames, Bill Stremmel of Reno, and I think Sunland of Vegas were the most well known. There is also regnier of elko, and there is one of them for sale on the samba at the moment.

Si.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2008, 18:45:40 pm »

Well lets see it {the frame}

I went to this dealership in around 1986 or '87 when I got this frame. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that they sold BMW, Porsche, and maybe Volkswagens.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 18:47:53 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
kai

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2008, 19:32:59 pm »

This was my first frame I ever got:

Found it in a junkyard in Cali 3 years ago, gave the man $20 for it.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2008, 19:48:15 pm »

Kai, would you be willing to let this frame go?  I have been on the hunt for a Vegas frame for ages, Its where I got married.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
kai

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2008, 20:11:46 pm »

Kai, would you be willing to let this frame go?  I have been on the hunt for a Vegas frame for ages, Its where I got married.
Sorry bro, I understand you want it, but for every frame I've got I recieve about 10 emails of people who have something special with that frame and want to buy it. If I give in I will have no collection left within a few months..

If I find another one it's yours! (hope that helps a little)

JS

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2008, 21:59:18 pm »

Thank you in advance.

I think I have one, let me check in the workshop.

Johnny.

Signature.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2008, 23:46:28 pm »

I think I have one, let me check in the workshop.

Johnny.

Johnny, you ROCK! Thanks.

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:38 am »

I found this if any body needs one

Rennsurfer

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2008, 07:09:05 am »

Cool score, Danny... that's an old dealer, too.

~Sarge
kai

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:40 am »

I always thought the older ones had the flower?

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:27 pm »

I got this on the back of my Ghia. Would sure like one more for my front plate too...anyone got one for sale..?

It`s from Berge Volkswagen in Mesa. It`s almost....  Cool
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:28:46 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Rennsurfer

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2008, 15:49:28 pm »

Nice, Berger... I'm guessing that dealer was in Mesa, Arizona?

~Sarge
Jim M

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2008, 17:25:14 pm »

A few i have

Porters Precision
Donny B.

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2008, 18:39:35 pm »

Nice, Berger... I'm guessing that dealer was in Mesa, Arizona?

...and it still exists!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
kai

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2008, 21:46:43 pm »

A few i have
WOW!!  Shocked

That is a nice collection Jim! Awesome..
I'd love to own one of those globe frames..  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: