The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 23:39:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 85159 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2009, 05:39:44 am »

This is a cool post!, Funny, I just bought a set of clear, black plates at OCTO this past weekend. Have a couple of questions, does anybody have a set or even one Colome Motors VW, from Montebello Ca., license plate frame(s) for sale?? Thats my home town and use to buy parts there when I first got into VW's, let me know, also where or who restores plates themselves,  do know of one place that a friend to me about,and I hear there good,  but want to have choices. Maybe somebody local, Thanks ahead of time!!  Grin

VW Classic 2012
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2009, 05:51:07 am »

This is a cool post!, Funny, I just bought a set of clear, black plates at OCTO this past weekend. Have a couple of questions, does anybody have a set or even one Colome Motors VW, from Montebello Ca., license plate frame(s) for sale?? Thats my home town and use to buy parts there when I first got into VW's, let me know, also where or who restores plates themselves,  do know of one place that a friend to me about,and I hear there good,  but want to have choices. Maybe somebody local, Thanks ahead of time!!  Grin
Try http://www.oldlicensefarm.com      I just had them redo a set of 58 Texas Plates for my 58 Ragtop
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 20:48:00 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
2manytoys

« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2009, 21:09:22 pm »

Another Cotton Club frame,...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cotton-Goff-VW-Porsche-Buena-Park-CA-License-PL8-Frame_W0QQitemZ140309575655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item140309575655&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Cornpanzer

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2009, 22:41:58 pm »

I was looking through some old pictures and saw a frame that I would lke to find.  It said "Catch me if you can"
Anyone got one???

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2009, 19:51:03 pm »

Back around 1978-1980 a popular license plate frame that many fast cars ran on the back of their cars simply read "Support your local police".  Anyone ever seen one or have one?  At the time is was meant to be amuzing, but I think it would have more meaning today.

The frame was chrome, with black lettering on a white back ground.
 Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2009, 21:37:05 pm »

I picked this up recently and would love to find another.  If anyone has any info on this particular dealership (I believe its from the Carolinas) or has a frame, please let me know. 

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2009, 02:07:37 am »

Just got a couple of these and put one on the back of my '82 BMW. Kinda cool for two reasons... near where I grew up and currently work. Also, I managed Long Beach Auto Haus till '84. This company started in '86 and has been there ever since. Cool shop, great people, and a myriad of great Bimmer race cars, and other cool assorted German cars.

(edit)Wow, I was just looking at that Cotton-Goff frame on eGay for $127. Sheesh! I have one of those, too. Guess I'm gonna hang onto most of my frames for a few more years.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:27:20 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2009, 02:51:22 am »

McNew and I used to live in Belmont Shores and I don't even remember a dealer being there. Where were they located?

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2009, 03:29:11 am »

McNew and I used to live in Belmont Shores and I don't even remember a dealer being there. Where were they located?

-jeffrey

Yep, I remember hangin' out at your place many many times. Practically lived there. L.B. Autohaus is on Broadway near Termino, Jeffrey. That's another reason I thought the frame was cool... ya never see Belmont Shore on one with a business name. I forget what year you two moved outta there, but I'm guessing '86-'87? That's about the time that the shop opened. They're on the north side of the street.

~Sarge
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2009, 04:31:24 am »

its belmont shore and if you dont get me the LEE WOOD I will never call you FRED again!
low oval
DKK

« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2009, 05:25:45 am »

I want a Bill Yates San Juan Capistrano. Mark, got one of those?

"and that's when the cops showed up"
deano

« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2009, 05:30:26 am »

I thought I spotted some (what looked like) newly repoped license plate frames at the last Bug-In. This guy had (new) frames for Meltebeke, Refree and others. They all were the same style, no casting name on the back. Wanted $50 each. They reportedly came from a collection but the seller did not know anything about their origin....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2009, 06:27:19 am »

Deano, I talked to that guy at Bug-In. Didn't quite know what to make of those frames.

Jim, I just checked for the Yates frame... sorry, no.

its belmont shore and if you dont get me the LEE WOOD I will never call you FRED again!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:38:02 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2009, 06:47:55 am »

Hey mark, by chance, any Colome Motors from Montebello frame??

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2009, 07:11:23 am »

Hey mark, by chance, any Colome Motors from Montebello frame??

I read your earlier post, Ted... and I know that I used to have one. I would've gladly sold it to ya cheap. But I can't find it. If it ever shows up, you've got first dibs. Sorry 'bout that. Can't remember if it was an older chrome one or a later black/plastic one.

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2009, 17:50:56 pm »

Hey mark, not a problem, I appreciate it. It's an early chrome one. My brother-in-law has one that is on his fast back that his father gave him years back that was originally bought at Colome Motors. He won't give it up.  Undecided   I use to do alot of parts buying there in my early years when they were in business, plus Montebello is my home town. If ya run across one, let me know, thanks again, see ya at Nicks!

VW Classic 2012
Paul Reveres Ghia

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2009, 11:54:15 am »

This pair have found a new home recently due to a severe lack of funds-  Huh shame cos they were my unicorn!!

these are the ones I have left....
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »

This pair have found a new home recently due to a severe lack of funds-  Huh shame cos they were my unicorn!!

But they've gone to a good home...  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Paul Reveres Ghia

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2009, 13:04:52 pm »

Certainly have! They look very cool!!!  Cool
volksnut

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2009, 15:31:15 pm »

Here's mine, I had it made a few years back....picture courtesy of Garey Martin
Critter1

« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2009, 15:47:21 pm »

They guy that I bought my Cosmics from had this Greg Onesi - Hangtown VW. The dealership was located in Placerville CA, He wouldn't sell it... I offered him way more than I ever thought I'd pay for a LP frame. So if anyone has one of these and wants to part with it,,, let me know.

Bruce

« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2009, 18:13:48 pm »

This dealer was the first dealer in Vancouver, and the second in western Canada.  Sadly, they went broke in the early 90s.
Check out the cover car on your May hotVWs. It wears a restored one of these frames.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2009, 01:40:19 am »

Cool frames, y'all. Keep 'em flowin'.

~Sarge
dukenukesem

« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2009, 03:55:11 am »

Regarding the Newport Beach VW dealership..............it  was Chick Iverson.  Started out in the mid-50's on Coast Hwy selling beetles and soon took on Porsche.  Moved in the very late 60's or early 70's to a "new" location on Bayside Drive near the bridge to Balboa Island.  They took on Audi in the late 70's due to the corporate "party line".  I kinda got the idea that Chick wasn't so thrilled with this.  For eons they had two frames, one with the VW emblem only and the other with both VW on the lower left and Porsche on the lower right.  There are already pix of them.  Chick was very well known in Newport and could figuratively get away with murder with his escapades like driving thru town on Balboa Blvd or Coast Hwy with John Wayne, both sitting on top of milk crates and sticking their upper torsos (and above) out the sunroof.  The rest of us would be busted for stunts like that.  He was a visionary in his time for introducing both Volkswagen and Porsche to the "beautiful people" of Newport Beach.........and they all sucked it up quickly.  The new dealer (can't remember the name and could care less, to be honest) is located in a new facility on Coast Hwy and peddles everything from VW to Bentley...........hence some misunderstanding of what Iverson was offering.  Definitely NOT the same dealership.  We still have our '68 Type 912 with his Porsche frame that we've owned for eons.
Sarge

« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2009, 05:03:15 am »

Cool

DKP III
low oval
DKK

« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2009, 06:33:40 am »

They guy that I bought my Cosmics from had this Greg Onesi - Hangtown VW. The dealership was located in Placerville CA, He wouldn't sell it... I offered him way more than I ever thought I'd pay for a LP frame. So if anyone has one of these and wants to part with it,,, let me know.

The wife might start to like my v dubs if I had this plate frame.  She's from Placerville.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2009, 13:46:26 pm »

The Chick Iverson frame is one that I regret not being able to find. I had one on my orange car at one time. Great story on that dealer, by the way.

Sarge, that literature is COOL.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2009, 18:05:24 pm »

Sarge, that literature is COOL.

Thanks Mark... that came from an old NBVA newsletter I had stashed away.  Here's the cover... a nice Dave Deal rendering to complement a cool club logo.  Sorry to barge in with non license frame stuff; the Duke got me goin' with that cool story.  BTW, wecome "The Duke" to The Lounge, guys! Cool

DKP III
dukenukesem

« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2009, 22:14:07 pm »

Hey, thanx for having me/us in on this.  My wife had a 64 beetle with a sunroof when we got married in 1970.  A couple of things:  The brakes were so weak on it that I almost went off into the sand at Pismo Beach offramp to Coast Hwy.  Used the hand brake to get it stopped.  Otherwise a really nifty car.  We only got rid of it when a Newport cop ran thru a stop sign chasing 4 blacks in an old Olds with a color TV in the trunk with the lid wide open.  Of course, it was theirs.  I pitched a fit with the NB Police Dept. The funny thing was that her parents lived next door to Andy Devine, the character actor with the squeaky voice.  I drove up in the trade in..........a 61 22Sb (carbureted) Mercedes.........as black in color as you could get.  Andy looked at me and said..."WHAT are you doing in that Mercedes?!"  Calmly told him that I really didn't want the steering column to protrude thru my wife's chest by a cop.  The only other thing I can think of is that I was, unfortunately, one of the very first people to find out about the 1968 case alloy problem and cylinder head studs getting sucked out of the case.  Thanks to the guys in C. CA that came up with Case Savers!

Generally speaking, all VW's were sold by Iverson with the VW emblem only on the frame.  All Porsches had the VW on the left and Porsche on the right.
iowa mark

« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2009, 23:48:18 pm »

Anybody out there happen to have one of these they can do without? I did not even know there was a Schmidt VW dealer, let alone one so close to me! (well, 200 miles close)

http://www.wolfsburgwarehouse.com/BD572c.htm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: