The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 23:14:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  License Plates & Frames
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: License Plates & Frames  (Read 85154 times)
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2009, 02:17:19 am »

The Chick Iverson frame is one that I regret not being able to find. I had one on my orange car at one time. Great story on that dealer, by the way.

Sarge, that literature is COOL.

Here are the Iverson frames that I have on my '67 vert and my '64 SC.  You can see 2 of the versions, 1 for VW and 1 for Porsche+Audi.

Also here's another one that I have with the VW logo on one side and the Porsche logo on the other.

Regards,
Jim

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
dukenukesem

« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2009, 23:36:13 pm »

I stand corrected on something.......the original Iverson dealership WAS on Newport Bl and 22nd on the penninsula, not Coast Hwy.  Old age brain fart.  The place on Coast Hwy was Newport Imports and was the local "Ferrari" hangout + other stuff that was more than my pockets could ever bear.  Newport Imports was originally the Lincoln Mercury Dealer.

On the Iverson yellow frames that are Porsche/Audi..........those are the later frames from somewhere around 78-80 for vintage.

I simply notice that was was "then" is not what is "now" in general.  Yesteryear was a certainly simpler time. Oh, well.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:36 am »

scored these 2 frames at the classic.

La Habra Meltebeke, my parents and grandparents bought all of their vw's from this dealer, and I bought this car in La Habra also.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:54:01 am by low oval » Logged

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:57 am »

YEAH, JIM! I was so stoked for all of you guys that were bringin' back frames back to the D.K.K. kamp. I really dig the Bill Yates one. Wanted that one for many years.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Griebel

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2009, 21:20:14 pm »

The only one I've got  Cry  Not tradition for those things here in Denmark.....

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 21:22:39 pm by Griebel » Logged

Instagram: c.griebel
http://www.griebel.blogspot.com
       "BEYOND 4 INCHES"
          MIB,DENMARK
Kafur1

« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2009, 21:33:04 pm »

La Habra Meltebeke, my parents and grandparents bought all of their vw's from this dealer, and I bought this car in La Habra also.

what happend to your tail lights ?
deano

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2009, 23:40:23 pm »

I am not 100% sure that the Meltebeke frame is an original one. I saw that guy selling those few frames, they look NOS, but they do not match any Meltebeke frame I have ever seen. As I recall, there wasn't any mfg name on the back. Could be a modern day repop... Still, Meltebeke was my hometown dealer, as I have a pair of original ones on my truck.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2009, 05:13:08 am »

Does anybody have any history of this frame??

Ted

VW Classic 2012
low oval
DKK

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2009, 05:28:15 am »

I am still puting the car back together and haven't put them in.

I am not 100% sure that the Meltebeke frame is an original one. I saw that guy selling those few frames, they look NOS, but they do not match any Meltebeke frame I have ever seen. As I recall, there wasn't any mfg name on the back. Could be a modern day repop... Still, Meltebeke was my hometown dealer, as I have a pair of original ones on my truck.
I am not sure if the frame is original, but it does look just like the one that was on my grandparents 73 bug.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Speed-Randy

« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2009, 16:45:04 pm »

And does it really matter? If you're happy with it, run it, if you're not sell them to me, I drive by the meltebeke dealership everyday when I drop my daughter off at school, they would look cool on her ghia

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2009, 16:57:06 pm »

Ted

Ted, I went to school with the Cary and Drew Colome. Their dads dealership was in Montebello and was there for many years. Drew Colome still sells vintage VW and vintage Porsche cars. He gets his hands on some pretty cherry cars. I think the private dealership is still called Colome Moters   http://www.colomemotors.com/gallery/main.php     Cary lives in Hawaii now but Drew is in Newport Beach. check out his cars for sale.

Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
deano

« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2009, 17:15:59 pm »

And does it really matter? If you're happy with it, run it, if you're not sell them to me, I drive by the meltebeke dealership everyday when I drop my daughter off at school, they would look cool on her ghia

And you are 100% right. Just ignore me.... Grin

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
48IDA66

« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2009, 20:54:41 pm »

The only one I've got  Cry  Not tradition for those things here in Denmark.....

Your right Griebel,
But you have to start somewhere.. Wink Nice plate anyway- you will I know, make it sparkle in no time! Wink..
Michael...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 23:13:20 pm by 48IDA66 » Logged
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2009, 22:47:50 pm »

Ted

Ted, I went to school with the Cary and Drew Colome. Their dads dealership was in Montebello and was there for many years. Drew Colome still sells vintage VW and vintage Porsche cars. He gets his hands on some pretty cherry cars. I think the private dealership is still called Colome Moters   http://www.colomemotors.com/gallery/main.php     Cary lives in Hawaii now but Drew is in Newport Beach. check out his cars for sale.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I knew that they stiil exist, I lived in Montebello most of my life, now in Whittier. Use to go there alot. I know one family member that was a Police Chief there recently, now retired. Talked about them alot. But on my frame, getting mixed info on it cause of the little bug on the side there, wanted to know if anybody knew about that. I've seen frames without the little bug.  Huh

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Chris W

« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2009, 00:05:01 am »

Here is my plate and frame. The plate has been on 2 cars and the frame is new.

« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2009, 00:54:21 am »

This frame is my favorite for obvious reasons.
It has since been rechromed.
 Grin
Richard Roth
Chris W

« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2009, 01:01:59 am »

Nice, Gresham is a bit of a sketchy place.  Cheesy
neil68

« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:01 am »

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Hecker

« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2009, 03:32:15 am »

Well , well , well, does parking a car for 22 yrs pay-off !! I've got the then cool CHICK IVERSON
Newport Beach VW frame on my black 67 bug. I guess I'll have to clean it up some & take its
picture for all to see. I really liked seeing the HARRY HILL,COLLEY & CATRON. All three were
favorite haunts while parts shopping in the late 70's & 80's. Did anyone know that Johnny
Catron was the RECARO distributor for California, he ran it as NORTAC .... Catron backwards !!
I haven't seen any WOOLVERTON ...El Monte -- or Ontario ....anyone??   GEEZ, I should have
got those EMPI frames from ECONO way back then. My buddy bought as many as he could --
both front style & rear style -- globes were on top / bottom.           
Rennsurfer

« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2009, 03:36:53 am »

I still have a Woolverton frame that I got back in the '80s when I worked at VW/Porsche+Audi dealers.

~Sarge
kingsburgphil

« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2009, 06:25:18 am »

While on the subject, Ballard motors or VW West (fullerton) should be rare plates, as well as Parkinson VW (yorba linda).
I haven't seen the Catron bros. since 68', when we all served at NAS Los Alamitos..I hope they're well.
glenn

« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2009, 06:37:19 am »

Lottermann frame with my original 74 YOM plate

I wish I had the original dealer frame... Val-Stream Volkswagen.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Rennsurfer

« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2009, 06:58:38 am »

While on the subject, Ballard motors or VW West (fullerton) should be rare plates, as well as Parkinson VW (yorba linda).
I haven't seen the Catron bros. since 68', when we all served at NAS Los Alamitos..I hope they're well.

Phil, I'm quite sure that Sarge can tell us about Ballard Motors. In the meantime, a pic of his car with that frame.

~Sarge
kingsburgphil

« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2009, 07:21:24 am »

Phil, I'm quite sure that Sarge can tell us about Ballard Motors. In the meantime, a pic of his car with that frame.

I'll wager you're right on that one!. I only knew the place as VW West, a sleazy operation that folded out from under us.
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2009, 15:29:56 pm »

Volkswagen West was in Anaheim. The '69 I bought last year came from VW West, and it still had it's original frame on it. My '79 originally came form Bob Witham in Westminster [it became Garden West Motors]. When I bought the car is had a "Keep on Buggin" frame [I still have it] on it. It took some time but I finally was able to find a set that I'll eventually redo for the car. I think that dealer was only in business a couple of years. I also worked in the parts department at Green Motors in Norwalk for about a year. I'd love to find a frame from there too.

-jeffrey

beetlemic

« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2009, 15:56:35 pm »

Here are the license frame on my stock-55 beetle

They are Anaheim Volkswagen West,fun with a story behind the frame.

If It Sounds Good,It Is Good!!;)
vwxtc4free

« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2009, 21:16:13 pm »

Well It took me a few years but I finally found "The ONE ".

I worked Here for a few years . The 2nd oldest continuously run VW dealership in U.S.

Finally gave in and sold my Woodland hills to Bill Bowman for his ghia..... Didnt want to but better it be on the  right car than my wall.

SURPRISE!!!! 2 hours after he recieved it I found this one online ! "Give and ye shall recieve!"

I know the scene is based in Cali and lots of interest there. But it's hard to find a nice east coast frame.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2009, 21:43:15 pm »

department at Green Motors in Norwalk for about a year. I'd love to find a frame from there too.

I have two of those, Jeffrey. One's a little older... but they're both yellowed out. They used the white plastic like Al Tatti did in Downey. If you're interested in one, I'll gladly trade for a Lakewood Motors frame or I'm sure that we can work something out. I worked there, after the Mc Kenna family bought it, when I was a service adviser.

~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2009, 22:06:39 pm »

I'd prefer chrome if they made them. I'll keep an eye out for a Lakewood frame for ya.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2009, 23:37:17 pm »

I'd prefer chrome if they made them. I'll keep an eye out for a Lakewood frame for ya.

-jeffrey

If you're right about the Green Motors chrome frames, then I'll do the same for you... and keep an eye out for one. I really want a Lakewood Motors frame. I prefer a four bolt, but will settle for a two bolt one. Never seen a metal Green Motors frame, but it's yours if I find one.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you and yours, Jeffrey.

~Sarge
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: