The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:00:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  front mounted oil coolers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: front mounted oil coolers?  (Read 66846 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 23:22:59 pm »

My dad and I are building a mild 1915 for his car that will be driven regularly in Phoenix, when we get going on it I will post up a thread on cooling tricks. Stay tuned Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 00:27:04 am »

A good 26 mm oil pump will send the oil to the front and back again. But I do admit that I like to install a 30 mm oil pump on these cars, and loose a little power on that account. Just to have a little more margin. 32 mm hi volume this and that is not needed.

The type 4 oil cooler in a type 1 fan shroud has very limited effect on reducing temps compared to a stock type 1. Due to the fact that air is limited to 14% of the volume from the fan. Now, IF you run low ratios and at the same time use a larger than stock pulley, like say a 356 one, you will see a slight decrease in temps when the engine is above aprrox. 3000 rpm. Typically about 5 degrees C.  If you run stock gears like a 4,125 transmission and stockish height tyres, you will often see a temperature INCREASE below 3000 rpm and status Quo or close to it above. - I know that at least one reputated vendor recommended it earlier, but that doesnt make it work better.

Also, yes, if youre mostly driving around in the city and hardly ever see sustained freeway speeds, the stock late model cooling system will take care of most engines, PROVIDED that the fan can get air. A pre 67 car with no vented decklid gets to be a handfull pretty soon.

Back when I finetuned my 70 hp 1600 cc. std plus engine. I did it in a car like that. We had cooling problems on the freeway. The head and oil temps just climbed "nice and easy" to unacceptable levels over a 30 - 40 minute period. We then drilled a 3"  hole in the right side of the bell housing cover, and routed a hose from it downside the transmission, about 3/4 way, pointing slightly forwards. We put a piece of "chicken fence" over the mouth to keep leafs and other larger debris away. That mod alone gave us 15 degrees  C. less head temps at sustained 85 mph. Later we cut an almost rectangular hole up under the licence plate light, and let the hole follow the shape of the light house which gave us roughly 75 cm2 of ventilation. (The hole was not visible from the rear unless you ducked down and leveled with the licence plate. That gave us another 5 degrees C. reduction of the head temps.

So yes, as someone said, its best to let the engine cool itself. But at some point it needs help.
T
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:25 am »

I mounted my cooler just below the rear framehorns that carry the gearbox/motor. i mounted a mercedes oilcooler as Torben Alstrup has mentioned. This setup works EXTREMELY well, and on a callooker there are NO clearance-problems, and the cooler canīt be seen unless you know itīs there.

I think this sound pretty fascinating! Do you have any pics to share Rasser?
I'm also curious as to how you mount the cooler to the framehorns...

As for me, I'm still in doubt what kind of oil cooler to use on my 1915, so I'll definitely follow this thread closely! Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rasser

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 14:00:55 pm »

I mounted my cooler just below the rear framehorns that carry the gearbox/motor. i mounted a mercedes oilcooler as Torben Alstrup has mentioned. This setup works EXTREMELY well, and on a callooker there are NO clearance-problems, and the cooler canīt be seen unless you know itīs there.

I think this sound pretty fascinating! Do you have any pics to share Rasser?
I'm also curious as to how you mount the cooler to the framehorns...

As for me, I'm still in doubt what kind of oil cooler to use on my 1915, so I'll definitely follow this thread closely! Wink

Sorry donīt have any pics, but itīs just mounted below the horns (almost in line with the rear axles). You just have to make a couple of brackets that attach to the rear transmission mount frame.

I will take some pictures once i get the new engine/oilsystem mounted in my car (car is currently being restored).

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 15:02:44 pm »

No matter where the oil cooler is mounted, a bigger oil pump should'nt be nesserary. ―" inside diameter hose flows enough without pressure drop problems.
Front mounted oil cooler is kinda standard comfiguration on a lot of cars here in Denmark and Germany for that matter. Most people I know of use 26 mm pump
in this setup.
The problem with BIG oil pumps and stock oil system is that the amount of oil from the pump wiill keeps the pressure relief valve or valves wide open (bottom out)
and routes NO oil through the stock oil cooler no matter how hot the engine is. This is bad........  I have a friend who discoverd this the hard way many years
ago when a new engine was build with all the best parts and good intensions and a 30 mm pump. It blew apart big time on the freeway pretty soon after it
was build because of wide open pressure releif valves due to the size of the pump. 
A Berg relief cover would most likely have saved this engine or the engine should have been build without such a big pump

Just my 2 cent

/Rolf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 21:28:49 pm by Callook_67 » Logged
Phil West

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 15:52:08 pm »

Another thing I just remembered, use a System 1 oil filter. It is the last filter you will ever buy, and the housing is constructed of finned aluminium. Pre fit all of your tins before you send them out for powdercoat, or paint. Loosely fitting tin will allow cool air to escape. Ive even seen a small bead of silicone used to make the tins leak free...

[/quote]

Up to last year Mesa performance had a guy making them an ally finned outer that fitted the Fram HP1, it's a brilliant accessory - bought down the oil temps on my van by 5 degrees F, not bad for 20 bucks and a 10 second instal time.  Unfortunately the material cost to the builder went up by something like a factor of 10 so he stopped making them and they are no longer available (unless any other supplier offers something similar).  I suppose some kind of home made jobbie would be possible with the right skills.....definitely makes a difference having some sort of finned aluminium round the oil filter
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 15:53:29 pm »

rasser, is the lower one in the pic the size of oil cooler you mean?

btw, these are all the mesa coolers around. 24, 48, 72 and 96 plate

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 15:59:52 pm »

If one gets a higher output from the pump than the stock oil galley can handle (flow) The pressure will build big time in the first part of the galley, and you will read high numbers on your gauge. Not an ideal situation. The flow output from the pump should not be bigger that what the pressure relief valve can handle wide open, the valve is supposed to "build" the pressure, not the restriction on the way there. 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 20:42:23 pm »

On the subject of keeping an engine cool...

I just had an interesting lesson in cylinder head temps and how they are affected by the spark plug lead not correctly fitting the cylinder head tin. Just bench ran a 1641 to break the cam in and I was monitoring the cylinder head temps on the outside of the tinware with an infra red heat gun, when I noticed that number 4 was running 40F hotter than the rest of the cylinders. I knew it wasn't a jetting issue as the motor was running the stock single carb. Anyway, kept checking the head temps and was scratching my head when I noticed that the plug lead wasn't fully home on Cyl 4 so air was leaking past the big rubber sealing grommet. Guess what? Fitted the lead properly and the head temp fell to that of the rest of the cylinders. I just goes to show how important a leak-free tinware setup is!

I am pressently working on building a 2276 for my Bay Bus tow vehicle and am using all genuine tinware, but I have modified the cylinder tin and other bits to make sure the tinware is as leak-free as possible.

Here's the tinware. It had a 4mm gap so was going allow a lot of hot air to rise in to the fanshroud...

I then cut some 4 mm strip and tigged it on and ground the welds flush

The front of the cylinder tin now has the crescent shape by the main bearing hardware welded...

The back of the tin is now super-snug too!

Cool runnings... hopefully Cool
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 21:37:19 pm by All Torque » Logged

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 20:46:59 pm »

No matter where the oil cooler is mounted, a bigger oil pump should'nt be nesserary. ―" inside diameter hose flows enough without pressure drop problems.
Front mounted oil cooler is kinda standard comfiguration on a lot of cars here in Denmark and Germany for that matter. Most people I know of use 26 mm pump
in this setup.
The problem with BIG oil pumps and stock oil system is that the amount of oil from the pump wiill keeps the pressure relief valve or valves wide open (bottom out)
and routes NO oil through the stock oil cooler no matter how hot the engine is. This is bad........  I have a friend how discoverd this the hard way many years
ago when a new engine was build with all the best parts and good intensions and a 30 mm pump. It blew apart big time on the freeway pretty soon after it
was build because of wide open pressure releif valves due to the size of the pump. 
A Berg relief cover would most likely have saved this engine or the engine should have been build without such a big pump

Just my 2 cent

/Rolf

This same issue of holding bypass valves wide open happens with too heavy of a viscosity of oil too.
My old, late friend, Mike Collins told me this many years ago when he saw me pouring 40wt Gt1 into my car. One of his priceless, "trademark" comments... something like "hope you're going to take your decklid off" or something. Which made me beg him to elaborate.
He also taught me the System 1 filters don't filter all that well (then showed me all the black film inside my rocker covers).
Went to HP1 (and later Canton) and heads stay silver. But we've already covered filters in another post.....
 Grin
Zach, sounds like your buddy's car was set up to do it all. I'm sure if I had my decklid open at top and a bunch of NACA scoops I could probably take my belt off and run around. But I'd keep my Setrab.  Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 22:00:25 pm »

Zach, sounds like your buddy's car was set up to do it all. I'm sure if I had my decklid open at top and a bunch of NACA scoops I could probably take my belt off and run around. But I'd keep my Setrab.  Wink

It was, but it also made more than 180hp and was driven in temps waaayy over 90 degrees... Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 23:00:25 pm »

Now this is really getting interesting  Smiley

I will be honest I have NEVER had a temp or pressure guage on my engine  Shocked The Empi ones on the dash don't work Roll Eyes Smiley it would be interesting though  Wink Smiley

The only tinware I run is a Scat 30hp style fan housing with the cooler out the back and the 2 cylinderhead tins - I don't run ANY of the bottom parts as its in a buggy, it all fits really really well - I run a smaller bottom pulley, a 32mm race trim pump a HP1 filter and 1/2 inch proper braided oil lines - I can drive at 3000rpm/80mph ALL DAY LONG in ALL weathers and I can ALWAYS put my hands round the HP1 after I shut her off and not burn myself - not the best method but it works for me  Wink Smiley

P.S I will hook up those guages some day - don't worry guys  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lee.C

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 23:12:12 pm »

I just had another thought - this ones for you tecnical guys  Wink Smiley

Does having all that EXTRA Aluminuim on my engine ie: Fan belt cover, push rod tubes, rocker covers, larger dds manifold etc HELP dissipate all that heat better  Huh Huh Huh

Phil West

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 09:43:53 am »

On the subject of keeping an engine cool...

I just had an interesting lesson in cylinder head temps and how they are affected by the spark plug lead not correctly fitting the cylinder head tin. Just bench ran a 1641 to break the cam in and I was monitoring the cylinder head temps on the outside of the tinware with an infra red heat gun, when I noticed that number 4 was running 40F hotter than the rest of the cylinders. I knew it wasn't a jetting issue as the motor was running the stock single carb. Anyway, kept checking the head temps and was scratching my head when I noticed that the plug lead wasn't fully home on Cyl 4 so air was leaking past the big rubber sealing grommet. Guess what? Fitted the lead properly and the head temp fell to that of the rest of the cylinders. I just goes to show how important a leak-free tinware setup is!

Matt,

nice work!  I just did all new tin on the bug and spent several weekends cutting and grinding to get it all to fit - so much work.  Got my head tins really snug to the case just like yours.

Just to be clear about the plug leads - the old style VW ones come with the big round rubber grommets that close off the entire spark plug hole in the cylinder tin and I'm presuming you mean this made that big difference?  I don't run those big seals on the van so there's fairly chunky gaps there - so I'm best to make some round grommets (or rob some off an old set of original VW leads) to fit over the plug lead ends and seal it all up perfectly?

Cheers
Phil
kafercup

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 16:12:33 pm »

Let's go back to the original question posted by Jim and get some more info about the front mounted setups.  Can some of you euro fellas post up some pics, schematics or specs for the front mounted setups used on the streets and tracks?  Especially the systems used on some of the Kafer-Cup and similar cars.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 17:24:23 pm »

Derek, check out email I sent you with the MBZ 126 180 0065 cooler... weighs about 4 lbs made by Behr
will easily fit up behind apron on your car.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 17:30:54 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 18:25:00 pm »

All I'm gonna say on this subject is - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

Um, okay. But I suppose it's all relative to one's opinion. Case in point; my friend has had his setup like that since 1980, a year after he built the car. The car still runs, looks, and functions like the day it was built. Also still gets the front wheels off of the ground on take-off and it's a full trim 1970 with bumpers.

To each their own. Personally, I think it's a great idea... because I'm guessing that a transaxle would tend to have heat coming off of it. Making the front of the car a prime location to cool the oil. Dave's is a very low profile cooler and he built a protective cage for it. It's barely noticeable. On my next trip to Arizona, I'll try to get some shots of it. He used some ancient Benz Behr cooler and ran copper lines.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 16:02:43 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
sonic

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 19:15:24 pm »

Whats a 4 mm tin gap ? Run for 5000 miles now with frontmouted setrab cooler and Porche 5 blade  Fan , reaching
120 m/h , no problms at all .. lucky  I suppose ...
Reg 
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 19:26:32 pm »

Phil

Yes you are right I am referring to the rubber sealing grommets that seal up the spark plug hole. Yes they really do make a big difference, so reckon you should make yourself some Cool

Reckon we should start a post about general tips on keeping your engines cool...

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 22:04:24 pm »

Let's go back to the original question posted by Jim and get some more info about the front mounted setups.  Can some of you euro fellas post up some pics, schematics or specs for the front mounted setups used on the streets and tracks?  Especially the systems used on some of the Kafer-Cup and similar cars.

Hey Derek that Mercedes cooler is on its way north this weekend, and the lines should be there for you too. Thanks again,

Jim
kafercup

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 23:19:52 pm »

Hey Derek that Mercedes cooler is on its way north this weekend, and the lines should be there for you too. Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks Jim!!!
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 12:56:22 pm »

what kind of mercedes cooler jim?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jim Ratto

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2008, 21:18:54 pm »

It's a Behr unit from W123 turbo diesel (or W126 with OM617 eng)....part # 1261800065
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 21:22:00 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 23:41:44 pm »

here's what I did to force cold air (compared to ambient near cooler) through my Setrab
Rasser

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 23:52:09 pm »

It's a Behr unit from W123 turbo diesel (or W126 with OM617 eng)....part # 1261800065

Thats the type I mount under the framehorns!

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:53 am »

mmh, would be interesting to see what that looks like rasser.

anyway, me and 2 clubmates just ordered 3 cagero oilcoolers. will post a pic when it's been installed  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2008, 18:59:30 pm »

I'm going to mount 48 mesa twin coolers sideways of the framehorns. (Aluminum Case..) One with a 7" fan. The position will be as much as possible to the rear of the car (Height-Speedbumps etc)) and so they will just pick up air from the windspeed under the car. If the temps are to cool, i can just tape them up. If still hot i have to start all o.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 19:02:21 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Peter

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 14:25:24 pm »

hey guys,
do you think its really necessary to have an external oil cooler in our cold countries?
Lee.C

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2008, 15:03:33 pm »

hey guys,
do you think its really necessary to have an external oil cooler in our cold countries?

probably not but if you drive like me then you will  Wink Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2008, 19:22:37 pm »

hey guys,

probably not but if you drive like me then you will  Wink Smiley

so yes for you too.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: