The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 17:51:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351083 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Long Barrels or Mahle??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Long Barrels or Mahle??  (Read 3424 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: May 17, 2008, 20:05:04 pm »

I'm going to be running a 86 mm crank with 5.5 rods on a Berg case. Question is can I get away with using Mahle barrels or do I need to run the long barrels where you cut to lenght. I was thinking JC's if I do. On another post, Mike Lawles mentioned that he doesn't use the long barrels cause there softer, are they all softer than the Mahle? Whats your guy's take on this?

VW Classic 2012
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 21:22:58 pm »

with that long of Stroke I would Use Longer Barrels with the Mahles you will have to run a spacer  and  with a short Barrel it pulls the piston to far in on the down stroke and the piston can cock going back in causing cracked barrels or worse I am using the Long Jaycee Barrels with 94mm Wiseco pistons on my 84x94 motor with no problems

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
richie

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 21:31:53 pm »

with that long of Stroke I would Use Longer Barrels with the Mahles you will have to run a spacer  and  with a short Barrel it pulls the piston to far in on the down stroke and the piston can cock going back in causing cracked barrels or worse I am using the Long Jaycee Barrels with 94mm Wiseco pistons on my 84x94 motor with no problems

how many miles? and how much compression?and how old are the barrells?

There does seem to be an issue with some of the long barrells,guys like Jack and Shawn geers etc choose the best of the batch for sure but the quality of the material is still suspect on some

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Udo

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 21:34:16 pm »

If you have a small compression height the mahles are ok  i think. You can get pistons down to 24 mm height . Otherwise i would recommend Geers cylinders . I still wait for those .

Udo

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:48:42 am »

how many miles? and how much compression?and how old are the barrells?

There does seem to be an issue with some of the long barrells,guys like Jack and Shawn geers etc choose the best of the batch for sure but the quality of the material is still suspect on some

cheers richie,uk
3000 miles, 10.5 Compression, Barrels are about a 1 1/2 years old, Motor put out 237 HP on the Dyno @6800

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
ugly duckling

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:56:48 am »

longer barrels ted dont take the chance ive seen the way you drive doing those jhon force burn outs pulling the wheels out of the burger joints wasent that you i seen racine that motercycle cop the other day boy you spanked him good  Tongue. just playen. if you got the money buy the longer ones like richey said just make sure they come from a good quality source. take care ted.  UD.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:22:44 am »

Hey Jeff, I mean UD.  Wink Ya, I think the longer barrels would be a better way to go, but what barrels? JC's or V-Dub parts? Are they the same? How about those AA's barrels? Or the Geer's one's? If I'm going to spend the money, I might as well get the ones that work.  Grin

VW Classic 2012
jr59

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:01:00 am »

Yes long barrel would be better .I use this combo on our race engine and the main problem was the bottom dead center : : if you want to keep engine live the skirt of the cylinder must be longer than normal one due to the position of the piston at this time.You can do this with long cylinder!
And yes better purchasing them from jay cee or as known retailer to have the best quality!

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:59:09 am »

With these you can run 86 stroke / 5.7 rods and STILL use the stock length barrels...

http://www.jpmotorsport.se/

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
jr59

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:22:28 am »

Hi Jhu,
Are they JE special 94mm  from JPM? Wink

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 09:53:41 am »

Yes, they are!
BTW nothing is as nice as a engine that fits in the engine bay!  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: