The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:11:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What brought about the end of D.K.K.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What brought about the end of D.K.K.  (Read 20606 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 18, 2008, 03:18:42 am »

Seemed like the club was very active and a large club and had some standout cars. What brought about its end in what, 1985? Was it a sudden end or did things sort of taper off interest wise? Were there kids left without "something to do" after the club folded?

amazing that DKP in its current "guise" has been pounding the ground since 1988 .....20 years!
DKK was only around 8 years?

Love to hear some insight

Jim
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 04:39:20 am »

The end of Bug In had a big impact on it . Also many of the member were starting families, real jobs ect.. That had some effect. It seemed that when Bug In's ended we had to travel to events, before that we never had to leave OC , Sacramento, Phoenix ? why would you go there? OCIR was 10 mins away. When that track closed our Nirvana was gone. The hardcore traveled ,the other people that were more into the social aspect of it got other hobbies...As for the current DKP I was thinking about it the other day.While the origins could be traced back to '88. I think I would put the actual time frame into early '90. My friends and I have been parking in the same spot @ Classic since '88 so that could be our 20yrs.   I missed 1 in '96  my car was on a boat somewhere.   Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:32:28 am »

What Bill said!

Everything revolved around Bug-In and after OCIR closed, there wasn't that goal to look forward to.
The motivation left us and the future looked pretty grim for Cal Look.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:43:54 am »

You know, someone needs to write a book about this very subject. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:46:55 am »

I know this one British guy who might take it on!  Grin Grin

Turtle001

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:30:19 am »

a british guy? who? Cliff Richard?

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
streetvw

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:19:09 am »

how dare you mention that name on here Shocked

would it be possible to get someone kicked out for this??

Wink Wink
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

Wink Wink

what? for saying CLIFF RICHARD... man the guy gave you guys first place in the Eurosong contest, he is a legend.

watch out CLIFF!! (one of the best episodes of the Young Ones)
The end of Bug In had a big impact on it . Also many of the member were starting families, real jobs ect.. That had some effect. It seemed that when Bug In's ended we had to travel to events, before that we never had to leave OC , Sacramento, Phoenix ? why would you go there? OCIR was 10 mins away. When that track closed our Nirvana was gone. The hardcore traveled ,the other people that were more into the social aspect of it got other hobbies...As for the current DKP I was thinking about it the other day.While the origins could be traced back to '88. I think I would put the actual time frame into early '90. My friends and I have been parking in the same spot @ Classic since '88 so that could be our 20yrs.   I missed 1 in '96  my car was on a boat somewhere.   Bill

you could have taken the BRM's... didn't you take them off the car, because of the saltwater. or is that an urban legend???  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:33:47 am by nicolas » Logged
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 17:18:03 pm »

I don't think anyone would buy a book about that Volkswagen stuff....... I do remember a big "dead time"  when Bug In went away. Most clubs revolved around the Bug In schedual and OCIR going away left a " What are we going to do now?" void in the hobby. There were still alot of cars on the street, but nothing to do.

I also park at Nick's.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 17:52:15 pm »

Wink Wink

what? for saying CLIFF RICHARD... man the guy gave you guys first place in the Eurosong contest, he is a legend.

The end of Bug In had a big impact on it . Also many of the member were starting families, real jobs ect.. That had some effect. It seemed that when Bug In's ended we had to travel to events, before that we never had to leave OC , Sacramento, Phoenix ? why would you go there? OCIR was 10 mins away. When that track closed our Nirvana was gone. The hardcore traveled ,the other people that were more into the social aspect of it got other hobbies...As for the current DKP I was thinking about it the other day.While the origins could be traced back to '88. I think I would put the actual time frame into early '90. My friends and I have been parking in the same spot @ Classic since '88 so that could be our 20yrs.   I missed 1 in '96  my car was on a boat somewhere.   Bill

you could have taken the BRM's... didn't you take them off the car, because of the saltwater. or is that an urban legend???  Smiley
  Just an urban legend, like the bloody hook in the door handle.  My car was rolling on my Empi 5's The BRM's were in bags inside the car.  We went and picked up the Berm's before the event at the shippers. It took me a full day to polish and detail them. Keith thought I was crazy.

Eddy Merckx
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 18:06:19 pm »

It took me a full day to polish and detail them. Keith thought I was crazy.
no you're just a normal guys who love is car and want a clean car to show  to the people

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 18:08:47 pm »

no you're just a normal guys who love is car and want a clean car to show  to the people
No, trust me, he was crazy... Cheesy

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 18:24:47 pm »

No, trust me, he was crazy... Cheesy
ok keith you know better than me because , i wasn't there at that time Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 20:44:54 pm »

Bill and Rick nailed it, already. We were really young, just starting our families and careers, O.C.I.R. and Bug-In were done, so most of us simply moved on. That's the bottom line. Kudos to those that stuck it out through the dead years.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 21:14:30 pm »

Wink Wink

Just an urban legend, like the bloody hook in the door handle.  My car was rolling on my Empi 5's The BRM's were in bags inside the car.  We went and picked up the Berm's before the event at the shippers. It took me a full day to polish and detail them. Keith thought I was crazy.

thanks for telling the true story. it is cool non the less.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 00:57:51 am »

do you think the shutting down of whittier blvd. also had any impact.  bug-ins were only 2 times per year plus other events, but cruising whittier was every weekend. 

"and that's when the cops showed up"
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:26:39 am »

that probably had a lot to do with it also and lack of interest, guys were kinda of gettin out of the vw thing, but it's back almost as heavy well with the old guy's

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:12 am »

that probably had a lot to do with it also and lack of interest, guys were kinda of gettin out of the vw thing, but it's back almost as heavy well with the old guy's

Can't leave ones roots!  Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 01:51:22 am »

do you think the shutting down of whittier blvd. also had any impact.  bug-ins were only 2 times per year plus other events, but cruising whittier was every weekend. 

Yeah that was another negative.

Speed-Randy

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 05:55:12 am »

that and those mini trucks were so cool

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:44 am »

Now that I think about it, It was probably due to pink and purple painted car's of the time?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
nicolas

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 09:57:22 am »

i have heard that the widely spread use of green bottle beer was also a defining factor for many people quitting. but i am sure KS has a wole chapter about that in his upcoming book.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:47 am »

i have heard that the widely spread use of green bottle beer was also a defining factor for many people quitting. but i am sure KS has a wole chapter about that in his upcoming book.
No, but I consumed a fair amount of the stuff while writing it. Cheesy

nicolas

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 11:23:27 am »

No, but I consumed a fair amount of the stuff while writing it. Cheesy

yeah i heard they still have a stash from way back in the 80's...
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 14:04:44 pm »

that and those mini trucks were so cool
That was the Same with all the Clubs in the 70's thru the late 80's Mini Truck's became  Popular then after that cam the Import  Cars  then the bug Came Back but not as strong as it once was it is  Funny to See all The Old Guys Getting Back In to it there has even Been Talk About some of the Club's of the 70's Coming Back To Life!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I Never Thought that I would Live to See Us Old Farts Standing Around the Car Ralley's, Bug In's and Car Shows with a Cane In One Hand and A Beer in the Other Grin Grin Once its in the Blood its there for ever Look at  Roger Crawford, Mark Huntshacker,Ron Fleming and Many Others  Getting Back Behind the Wheel of some 10 sec. VW's
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 14:07:02 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 14:38:02 pm »

Sorry, but  I highly doubt that mini trucks had anything to do with the demise of D.K.K. much less, any other car club(s). Hated 'em then... still do, now. We're talking about German engineering verses something that didn't handle well on turns and looked like a lowered dayglow skateboard that you couldn't pay me to be seen in.

Hence I'm sticking to what the real reasons were; places were shutting down, we were approaching our early/mid twenties, moving on, families, jobs, etc. Many of us switched over to water-cooled VWs & Porsches and other German cars. But one thing has proven itself over the test of time... much like skateboarding, surfing, or anything else one has passion for, a Cal Look Beetle (or other model of choice) will stay with you, always. Period.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 15:37:29 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 15:32:34 pm »

Now that I think about it, It was probably due to pink and purple painted car's of the time?
at least they ran

Eddy Merckx
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 15:38:46 pm »

at least they ran

Ouch.

Grin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 15:55:58 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 15:54:25 pm »

at least they ran

Yah, what he said. Don't hate the pink cars.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 16:19:55 pm »

at least they ran

wow look who has an avatar. Next he'll be posting smiley faces.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: