The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:45:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The Evolver
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The Evolver  (Read 41558 times)
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« on: June 06, 2008, 11:41:18 am »

This is my bug, I've owned it since 1994 when I got my first job and thought it would be a nice cheap runabout until I grew up and got into hot rods like my dad. Boy was I wrong, I've been stuck in the air cooled world ever since to the point of obsession. My uncle took me to Bug Jam when I was 12 and have been hooked ever since. I have worked for aircooled parts companies for 13 years and have been writing about them for 3 years in UltraVW i've been crewing for Bernie for the last two years so you could say I love my VW's, In fact, I've never owned any other make of car. Anyway, back to the car.It's a '69 that has slowly developed into a '67 over the years and is about to look even more like one. I blame Ivan for my '67 perversion and can't get enough of all the one year only parts. I have collated a hell of a lot of one year only parts over the years and i'm still finding parts that 15 years ago, I had no idea existed. It probably would have been easier to start with a '67 but this is my first car and I can't bare to part with it.

Here's a few pics of the car over the years

when I first got it

At Dub Daze in 1995

In my 17" wheel phase

Most recent 'shiny' guise
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 18:27:26 pm by benssp » Logged

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:34 am »

and this is the plan.......................after some extensive rust removal

Them damn Outlaws have got to me Grin I'm planning a 2387cc normally aspirated Ida motor with an FK89 and either Comp Eliminators or Angle Flows from UD

that's a long way off yet, heater channels and pan halves need doing first, then off to the cage builders for a 6 point Grin
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:29:45 pm by benssp » Logged

any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

YMCA
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 13:46:04 pm »

Ben

Been down the same road as you. I've got a early 70's 1200 that I turned into a us spec 67 look alike in about 94 after seeing hector bonilla's 67 in volksworld back in the early 90's. (Think it was Feb 1993 issue). I too should have sold it and started with a 67 but I've had mine since feb '86 so couldn't get rid of it   Roll Eyes Still get some stick for being a fake  Tongue

Just got a new engine with the help of Martin " boom boom " Greave and a few others on the longe ( thanks guys) and that should be in for EBI with a box from rancho .

Good luck and here a few photos of mine.

ps you should be ok for bits, staff discount and all that Cheesy

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 13:49:36 pm »

Lookin good ron Grin sometimes sentiment gets in the way of having the right age car in the first place. I do like the no trim and euro bumpers look Cool

YMCA
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 13:55:27 pm »

too bad it is not a 67...

Grin

no it really looks good. if only all 67's looked this good
Rocket Ron

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 14:13:05 pm »

Lookin good ron Grin sometimes sentiment gets in the way of having the right age car in the first place. I do like the no trim and euro bumpers look Cool

what colour is it going to be and centerlines or ercos ?

too bad it is not a 67...

Grin

no it really looks good. if only all 67's looked this good

thanks Nicolas

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 14:32:19 pm »

Same goes here - I've bought back my first car from my brother. It's a '68 that we've backdated by 12 months Wink, and again, I should really have started with a '67 but it was my first car too, back in 1995! It had a full resto about 10 years ago, needs a lot of bits re-doing but will have my 2007 motor in it eventually, and possibly a cage to go racing with... Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rocket Ron

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 14:40:43 pm »

Thats the trouble with the uk not enough early cars to go around.

I think the mid 80's brit cal look craze got rid of a lot of good cars that and the fact that they throw salt on the roads every F**king winter. By the time we got to the 90's and started to appreciate the earlier cars it was all to way to late.

Hands up who broke all the wide 5 cars for beach buggies, wizard roadsters and Baja bugs   Roll Eyes 

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 14:51:46 pm »

Thats the trouble with the uk not enough early cars to go around.

I think the mid 80's brit cal look craze got rid of a lot of good cars that and the fact that they throw salt on the roads every F**king winter. By the time we got to the 90's and started to appreciate the earlier cars it was all to way to late.

Hands up who broke all the wide 5 cars for beach buggies, wizard roadsters and Baja bugs   Roll Eyes 

There was a drag buggy a few years ago based on a RHD zwitter, and lots of '66s got chopped up for wizards! Having said that, I've seen more '66s with gutter rot than any other year, so that explains that maybe!) If you want really scaring, have a look on the Samba classifieds for oval baja's!

Anyway, back on topic! Ben, when you do the channels, don't forget to cut the heater hump out and plate it up with a nicely rolled piece to keep the profile right! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 15:07:29 pm »

what colour is it going to be and centerlines or ercos ?

Zenith blue with a choice of decklids: paintbox eyebrow in steel, PaintBox Aranson or a cab'd stock lid, wheels will be centerlines. zeros o/s 3.5" on the front and 7's on the back. think i will use repro BRM's(new spot on replicas currently at prototype stage Wink)on the street.

YMCA
Rocket Ron

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 15:13:55 pm »

I’ve always loved the look of centrelines, top choice. Will you be running tbars at the track?

Re the BRMs I’ve heard a whisper about these do you know anything re the price yet?

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

63 ripper

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 17:29:55 pm »

and this is the plan.......................after some extensive rust removal

Them damn Outlaws have got to me Grin I'm planning a 2387cc normally aspirated Ida motor with an FK89 and either Comp Eliminators or Angle Flows from UD

that's a long way off yet, heater channels and pan halves need doing first, then off to the cage builders for a 6 point Grin

remove the trim and not so far off. cool combo Cool

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Pas

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 21:12:24 pm »

This is my bug, I've owned it since 1994 when I got my first job and thought it would be a nice cheap runabout until I grew up and got into hot rods like my dad. Boy was I wrong, I've been stuck in the air cooled world ever since to the point of obsession. My uncle took me to Bug Jam when I was 12 and have been hooked ever since. I have worked for aircooled parts companies for 13 years and have been writing about them for 3 years in UltraVW and me and my better half have been crewing for Bernie for the last two years so you could say I love my VW's, In fact, I've never owned any other make of car. Anyway, back to the car.It's a '69 that has slowly developed into a '67 over the years and is about to look even more like one. I blame Ivan for my '67 perversion and can't get enough of all the one year only parts. I have collated a hell of a lot of one year only parts over the years and i'm still finding parts that 15 years ago, I had no idea existed. It probably would have been easier to start with a '67 but this is my first car and I can't bare to part with it.

Here's a few pics of the car over the years

when I first got it

At Dub Daze in 1995

In my 17" wheel phase

Most recent 'shiny' guise

Don't blame me for your weird car perversion, you weirdo  Wink Grin

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
67worshipper

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:01:47 am »

i love your car ben.the latest guise is the best.how much grot is there then? rocket ron whether your car is a wannabe or not its still Cool and another late car saved from the dreaded Wink

vw hot rod heaven
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 11:37:12 am »

Thanks for the kind words, the rebuild has been on the cards for a while. the rot is mostly in the channels, pans and front bulkhead, everything else is solid
once the channels and cage are in i'll get it blasted and fingers crossed it will be ok Grin

this is the worst side, it had a 'bodgeplate' on the channel, the other side still has the original bottom plate  Grin

just waiting for some new spot weld drills to turn up so i can carry on.

YMCA
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23:48 am »

Plans all look awesome Ben, will look wicked when its done. Always regretted selling my NOS centerlines.... wish I still had them now.

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:40 am »

Mrs Gallaghers birthday was quite fruitful for my build, Bernie needs a replacement decklid dur to the fire so he's having my Aranson lid and I'm having his '67 valance! Grin

I also got a mechanical fuel gauge from Simon@PaintBox so i may have an Autometer 2 5/8" guage and sender for sale soon Grin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:55:51 am by benssp » Logged

YMCA
AntLockyer

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 17:15:12 pm »

You are inspiring me to do some more on my car. Got any 67 bits left over? Cheesy

12.618 @ 104.87mph
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 17:31:05 pm »

until it's done, all the '67 bits i have are spoken for, saying that, i still have a valance, bonnet(with the top gubbins removed) and maybe a pair of doors Grin

YMCA
AntLockyer

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 19:04:39 pm »

If that valance ever needs a new home let me know.

I actually own 5 67 doors. Only one of them is within 200 miles of my house though.

Did you already move the gubbins into the fibreglass bonnet? What did you stick it with?

12.618 @ 104.87mph
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 12:31:01 pm »

pics of the bonnet Grin

YMCA
Neil Davies

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »

Why do '67 doors rot so badly? One of mine has rotted from the centre outwards (moisture trapped behind the sound deadener) and the other one the bottom hinge has virtually come away from the frame! Think I'll probably end up with late doors and re-handle them, but not for a while yet... Smiley

Off Topic - Ben, I might have sorted a later door for the '70 - if not I'll give you a shout early next week! Wink

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 13:11:32 pm »

I think they rot due to the orientation of the sound deadening pad, on later cars thet are fitted through 90 degrees from the 67

YMCA
AntLockyer

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 13:34:06 pm »

Sorry Ben I meant did you take teh gubbins out of the steel one to put into a fibreglass one?

I've got a glass bonnet and decklid but I'm not sure if I'm going to use pins or bond the original mechs in. Laziness says pins. Style says do the hard work.

I think I've decided to not run a valance for a while, I need to get my gearbox so I can see how much I need to cut out at the back to get the motor in.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 13:48:15 pm »

I think they rot due to the orientation of the sound deadening pad, on later cars thet are fitted through 90 degrees from the 67

Might end up re-skinning the one - the frame is solid and pretty much mint, the drivers side will probably hit the bin... Either way neither will have the sound deadening left in, and I'll be re-working the one-piece window frames too!

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 13:29:42 pm »

going to clean up the dash, it's too cluttered for my liking, although i'm ditching the side trim, i think i'm going to keep the dash trim and put '67 switches back in the original position, move the tacho

also, can anyone identify the type of gauges on the left. are they early sport comps? Grin

YMCA
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 13:31:22 pm »

here's my new decklid Grin

and my reservoir, been looking for one for ages Grin

YMCA
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 11:12:41 am »

fresh metal! as the old bottom plate looks like it's been stored in a cupboard on the titanic for most of its life, i'm going to tack the bottom plate to what's left of the old channel to line up the pan half, anyone know if you can still get those nails that hold the gasket to the pan?

i've also got a parking space buddy this week

Grin

YMCA
richie

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 09:31:21 am »

I think you should re name it

" the Revolver "

just shoot it and put it out of its misery Cheesy Cheesy

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 11:06:15 am »

"the Revolver"

just shoot it and put it out of its misery Cheesy

lol... Cheesy Grin

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: