The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 15:25:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  AssHull's '67 project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: AssHull's '67 project  (Read 193996 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 21:16:28 pm »

A little progress... the center caps were anodized black, now the tops are polished and the inset is still anodized. I dig the look Smiley Sorry for the cell phone pics!!

That's a cool treatment.  A little different than the painted crests.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 19:37:08 pm »

Well, the car is down to metal, it will be in etch primer soon. Brand new AS41 is ordered from Brothers VW Machine, cookie cutters will be on the way to Al Reed, with one of them making a short stop at Eric Vaughn's place first Smiley

We are really having a hell of a time finding a front clip for this thing Angry
Are you looking for a 67 gas tank clip of a windshield Clip?

I would prefer it be cut at the heater channels and the windshield posts. I will be folding back the rain gutter on the quarter panel and performing the surgery that way.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 03:35:18 am »

Well, the car is down to metal, it will be in etch primer soon. Brand new AS41 is ordered from Brothers VW Machine, cookie cutters will be on the way to Al Reed, with one of them making a short stop at Eric Vaughn's place first Smiley

We are really having a hell of a time finding a front clip for this thing Angry
Are you looking for a 67 gas tank clip of a windshield Clip?

I would prefer it be cut at the heater channels and the windshield posts. I will be folding back the rain gutter on the quarter panel and performing the surgery that way.
Heres a 67 Front Clip right in your own Back Yard http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=549133

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 02:33:04 am »

We couldn't find a reasonably priced '67 front clip anywhere, but this '67 sunroof popped up in Kingman, AZ about 150 miles away. Originally Ruby Red, all 4 quarter panels are clean, only some minor damage to the front and rear aprons, and some idiot cut 6"x9" holes under the dash Angry Has a little bit of rust at the bottoms of the A pillars, which is typical for metal sunroof cars. The parcel shelf is also very clean, the one in the other car was really tender. So now we are starting fresh over with a new body! And we get to restore the chassis as well. Funny how these projects get out of hand Roll Eyes Next weekend we will try and strip the remainder of the body, and get it over to the sandblasters and finally etch primed. It will all be worth it in the end Smiley

Sam K

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51:47 am »

Nice find! I wish my '67 was a sunroof car, but I don't have the heart to cut it up.
Neil Davies

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:52 am »

Has a little bit of rust at the bottoms of the A pillars, which is typical for metal sunroof cars.

Zach, well worth geting the repair panels from Hookys Panel Shop over here in the UK - they really are superb. http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/ I fitted a pair of Veng (or similar) ones to my 70 and wish I'd bought these - I had to do one side twice! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 17:04:04 pm »

Those look nice! Thanks for the link. We may just end up cutting out what we need from the old shell though... haven't thought that far out yet.

SlingShot

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 06:05:37 am »

Nice find! I wish my '67 was a sunroof car, but I don't have the heart to cut it up.

You don't need a heart just a sawzall  Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
AssHull

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

Well Zach and I got the body all stripped down the other day and we're ready to start doing some of the metal work. Body actually came out looking alright.  Looks a lot better after getting 20 years of dirt off of it. The 6x9 holes in the trunk still upset me though   Cry
AssHull

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 03:05:44 am »

Some more good news. Got my wheels refinished wheels in today from Al Reed in California. Cheesy I was hoping for a little darker grey but Al Reed did an awesome job and Eric Vaughn is a wizard when it comes to narrowing wheels.  All said and done, I have all 5 wheels refinished with the polished lip, grey centers and then had them clear powdercoated to keep them looking good  Cool  The spare is a 4.5'', two 6 inch wheels for the front and two 7 inch wheels for the rear. Also, picked up a set of polished aluminum lug nuts for the finishing touch.  Here some pictures. Added an old picture so you can see the difference. Enjoy  Grin
SlingShot

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 06:21:34 am »

Where are the Caps Foo ??

Will Race For Beer !!!
AssHull

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 18:06:13 pm »

Where are the Caps Foo ??

Sorry man. Caps are in Prescott. Wheels are in Phoenix.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 18:13:12 pm »

They look like a grey green on my pc! Shocked

Lookin good though. Can't wait to get some rubber wrapped around them Smiley

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 18:37:10 pm »

The wheels ARE green!!! Angry I just spoke to Al Reed, and he offered to do them over, so he is taking care of us Smiley Eric Vaughn did a superb job narrowing the 6" spare down to 4 1/2". Pictured is one of the rear 7's next to the spare...

SlingShot

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 20:24:34 pm »

They look good! I don't get that green vibe from the last pic.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 21:23:25 pm »

They look good! I don't get that green vibe from the last pic.

You're right. I don't get it either from the last pic...

Tongue

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 21:33:36 pm »

Looking good guys.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
AssHull

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 05:42:55 am »

Progress on the project has been a little slow with school going on, but here's an update: Got the body pulled off the pan a while ago. Finished stripping the pan down. Fixed a couple of things: Random holes all over the place Huh a bunch of dents, and the clutch cable tube needed to be rewelded.  Went ahead and added access panels to the tunnel then sent the whole thing off to be powercoated. Just picked it back up this week! Hopefully, this weekend we will start actually bolting parts back on instead of taking them off.   Grin 
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 17:32:48 pm »

Here's a better shot. 40% gloss black. I like the look. Smiley

We also removed the factory jack points since they are useless anyway.

As soon as we get the wheels back from Al Reed we will have ourselves a roller Grin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 17:36:28 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 18:34:10 pm »

Some progress...

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 23:38:50 pm »

Zach,

Is this your car or Chris's car? I also had Eric Vaugh do a set of wheels for me. Narrowed some late alloys to 4.5 inch for me, to match the 7's I will  be running in the rear.

RM

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:01 am »

Zach,

Is this your car or Chris's car? I also had Eric Vaugh do a set of wheels for me. Narrowed some late alloys to 4.5 inch for me, to match the 7's I will  be running in the rear.

RM

This is Chris Hull's car... not Chris Predmore (aka Slingshot) with the white single cab. You may have met him in Jerome a couple months ago... tall, dorky, kinda gangly looking Roll Eyes Cheesy

AssHull

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2008, 01:39:41 am »

... tall, dorky, kinda gangly looking Roll Eyes Cheesy

Hey now, no need to poke fun   Embarrassed 

Ya, it's my car but the project is being done up in Prescott (with Zach) while I live in Phoenix. I didn't have the room in Phoenix to work on it there.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2008, 01:44:29 am »

Fuel line... the original metal fuel line was trashed, so we want (need) to replace it. Thinking about using some stainless steel braided line through the tunnel. What size do we need? Motor won't be anything crazy now (just a 1915), but it would be nice to be prepared for what the future may bring Wink Also, is there a simple way to secure it to the tank without welding bungs on? Not a problem if that is the only way... just need to know what to get Wink

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 01:45:17 am »

Ya, it's my car but the project is being done up in Prescott (with Zach) while I live in Phoenix. I didn't have the room in Phoenix to work on it there.

You mean you didn't have me to work on it down there Wink

By the way, I got the clutch cable and the parking brake flex lines in today. Exciting stuff!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:48:52 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

AssHull

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:11 am »

You mean you didn't have me to work on it down there Wink

By the way, I got the clutch cable and the parking brake flex lines in today. Exciting stuff!! Cheesy

Well that too, but at least this way you know it's getting done right. Besides, you know you're proud of this car and like having it close to you. You're like this car's godfather.  Cheesy
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 01:55:08 am »

Got a few bits in from CB today, and bolted them on. Also fabbed up some simple access panels. Waiting on AssHull to bring up some more parts from Phoenix this weekend. Hopefully the wheels will get here before Christmas so we can roll this thing outta here Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:57:40 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 02:24:46 am »

This is a little more like it Smiley

TunedBoost

In it to win it

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 00:03:56 am »

that's looking hot guys!  keep up the good work  Shocked

Dennis Mundt
AssHull

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 04:10:31 am »

So we spent the weekend wrenching on the pan and finally got it off the jack stands. It is officially a roller now. Shocked Swapped out the old ball joints for a set of new ones. Got the front and rear discs sandblasted, painted and installed. Got the tires mounted up to the wheels and bolted them on to the rotors. I'm lovin' the new color of the wheels versus the greenish color that they where before. I'm a lot happier with them now  Grin and I think the polished/anodized center cap accents them well. Wink Still got a couple of things to do before the chassis is 100% complete. Got to bend and install the hard lines that connects to the rear calipers, clean up the grease-ball that is suppose to be a steering box, and waiting for one of the emergency brake cables and long cluch arm. Both are in the mail and will hopefully be in tomorrow. Definitely made some progress. If nothing else, there are fewer parts to keep track of anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: