The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:12:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  pictures of cars with trim but no chrome in the windowrubbers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: pictures of cars with trim but no chrome in the windowrubbers?  (Read 8642 times)
wolfswest

« on: July 11, 2008, 09:32:02 am »

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do some modifications to my car and I'm looking for examples so I can think about it if I will do it.  My car has the original chrome details but I'm planning to reduce that to a minimum.  I was thinking on leaving the trim on it (fat pre 67 trim) but remove the chrome on the windows:  so install rubbers with no chrome, paint the popouts and the little windows in the door black...  Anybody have pictures of cars with trim on it but no chrome in the rubbers?  I've wachted the "show your callook ride" but I didn't found many cars in this style...

Thx,

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:48:53 am »

I would leave the trim in the windows if you're going to keep the side trim. If you really want to get rid of the window trim then you need to black out the body trim, quarterlight frames, etc. It'd look really good on your car too!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:25 am »

Rick Meredith's '67 Beetle (if I remember correctly) had the body trim powder coated satin or flat black and I think the window trim was taken off. Don't recall if the popout windows were painted black. That would be the finishing touch, like you posted, Dem.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
wolfswest

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:52:06 am »

yeah, I've also been thinking on painting the trim black or the carcolor (green)...  But what should stay chrome?  in my opinion: the headlights, the doorhandles, the hoodgrip maybe...?

I have the big trim, maybe I can swith it to the smaller trim...  but I drilled holes in the side of 8 mm to install the bigger trim...  probably to big for the small trim.  Angry  Does anybody have measurements of the small trim?

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
wolfswest

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:23 am »

my car is question.  suggestions are welcome...

Glauco

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 13:08:32 pm »

I thinkt if you put on the windowrubbers without chrome and you paint the chrome strip black it just might work, imho...
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 13:40:01 pm »

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  If you're taking the trim out of the rubbers, follow through on the door windows, too.  Vent frames, the trim in the scrapers, etc.  Black-out the popout window trims.

You've already lost the running board trim, that helps.  It doesn't have to be "all or nothing", but at least make it look like you've done more than just cheaped out on window rubber.  It will look good.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 14:04:10 pm »

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  If you're taking the trim out of the rubbers, follow through on the door windows, too.  Vent frames, the trim in the scrapers, etc.  Black-out the popout window trims.

You've already lost the running board trim, that helps.  It doesn't have to be "all or nothing", but at least make it look like you've done more than just cheaped out on window rubber.  It will look good.

yeah, I think it can work.  I guess I will try it and when this is finished I look further for step 2:  What to doe with the sidetrim...  black out, in the color of the car, leave it, maybe a gold finish..?  the sign on the back is also goldflake, maybe.....   

Thought about this many many hours, soon my head will explode....  Cheesy

Hotrodvw

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 14:44:40 pm »

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 15:12:20 pm »

Personally, I think your car looks good with the trim as is. But removing the window trim will look good, as well. It's your car, so there are no rules. I wouldn't switch to the later/narrower trim, though.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 15:13:47 pm »

Grin

That is one sweet looking ride.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
wolfswest

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 15:19:50 pm »

Personally, I think your car looks good with the trim as is. But removing the window trim will look good, as well. It's your car, so there are no rules. I wouldn't switch to the later/narrower trim, though.

That is indeed no longer an option because otherwise I have problems with my long hood and wolfsburg logo on it.  So small trim is no option...

The thing I like the most now is to black out the windows and leave the rest as it is...

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 15:33:49 pm »

maybe a gold finish..?  the sign on the back is also goldflake, maybe.....   

That might work - a burnished gold look? Bit gasser-ish? It'd make the narrowed beam work as well. Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
wolfswest

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 15:42:53 pm »

That might work - a burnished gold look? Bit gasser-ish? It'd make the narrowed beam work as well. Wink

Neil, yeah.  But I don't know how or where they do this.  Not gold painted but gold like the fuchs wheels of the car that ended the erea that a streetcar could win best of show at bugin, (black callook beetle) the owners names escapes me for the moment...  Larry...  I think...
Is it the layer they put on parts before they actually chrome it and polish that layer or....  dunno...??    Sad  input is welcome...

I will make a topic in the works section with the changes I want to do, because I'm planning to install spacers in front because I'm a bit tired of the narrowed beam look...  Undecided

Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 15:47:09 pm »

Instead of spacers, a pair of 6" Fuchs up front would bring the track out a bit. As for the gold trim, get some gold leaf from an art shop and stick it on to the trim, just twisting it with a cotton wool pad as you put it on. Wink

wolfswest

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 16:05:45 pm »

Instead of spacers, a pair of 6" Fuchs up front would bring the track out a bit. As for the gold trim, get some gold leaf from an art shop and stick it on to the trim, just twisting it with a cotton wool pad as you put it on. Wink

trackfun will be better but I like my 4,5's very much, so they stay!!  Grin   mmm, I really like the goldleaf idea but I want a more sleeperlook, not more "bling"  So, I'm not sure about it.  And then again, only do this option with the trim of also with the doorhandles etc...?  if you keep the doorhandles chrome and the trim in gold and the windows in black it could start to look like a circus...  Grin 

I'm looking for other people input to, please do! 

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 16:44:12 pm »

I was trying to find a good pic of Frenchy's white '67 Cal-looker on the web but can't find one. It has the original trim but no window trim. Car looked very sweet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 17:42:53 pm »

Rick Meredith's '67 Beetle (if I remember correctly) had the body trim powder coated satin or flat black and I think the window trim was taken off. Don't recall if the popout windows were painted black. That would be the finishing touch, like you posted, Dem.

Yes the trim was powdercoated satin black and all the trim was gone. the frames around the door were also finiished this way. The popout were a later addition and weren't powdercoated but that was on the list of things to do.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 17:45:33 pm »

Neil, yeah.  But I don't know how or where they do this.  Not gold painted but gold like the fuchs wheels of the car that ended the erea that a streetcar could win best of show at bugin, (black callook beetle) the owners names escapes me for the moment...  Larry...  I think...
Is it the layer they put on parts before they actually chrome it and polish that layer or....  dunno...??    Sad  input is welcome...

I will make a topic in the works section with the changes I want to do, because I'm planning to install spacers in front because I'm a bit tired of the narrowed beam look...  Undecided

Larry Shaw

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 17:49:30 pm »

Here's a shot of my car before I got the pop outs

Glauco

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 17:53:33 pm »

dem, on the goldfinish look,
I did some research because I want to do the same with my chrome, it's called nikkelcoating (not sure it's writen right  Roll Eyes ) it is indeed the coating that goes on before chromation, so any shop that puts on chrome can nikkelcoat, and it should be cheaper because it's a process less  Wink
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 18:04:29 pm »

The nickel plating I've seen is not what I would call a true gold. I had a motorcycle with a nickel plated frame. It's more like a yellowish silver. I think it's a wonderful finish but don't expect "gold."

Glauco

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 18:10:02 pm »

The nickel plating I've seen is not what I would call a true gold. I had a motorcycle with a nickel plated frame. It's more like a yellowish silver. I think it's a wonderful finish but don't expect "gold."
you've got a point there, but it indeed looks cool Cheesy 
and it's something else than chrome for a change Smiley
glauco
wolfswest

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 19:05:07 pm »

Okay, this car tells me that it just looks right!  sidetrim on, windows black.  this does it.  I'm gonna go for it...   Wink  thx Rick.

nicolas

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 19:16:53 pm »

Black can work, but i think art guttierez's car looks very cool. and it has trim (small 67), but one piece windows and calrubbers in the rest.  he even has chrome popouts. same with John Rayburn's car. so it all can be done. i wouldn't change too much on the trim. unless you want to go goldish for that gasserlook. which can work. but you wont get it at a chromeplater. they indeed put on a copper layer first, but i will change colours very fast. so what you need is either a spraycan or a nickelcoating. first one being cheaper and reversable...

wolfswest

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 19:38:04 pm »

Black can work, but i think art guttierez's car looks very cool. and it has trim (small 67), but one piece windows and calrubbers in the rest.  he even has chrome popouts. same with John Rayburn's car. so it all can be done. i wouldn't change too much on the trim. unless you want to go goldish for that gasserlook. which can work. but you wont get it at a chromeplater. they indeed put on a copper layer first, but i will change colours very fast. so what you need is either a spraycan or a nickelcoating. first one being cheaper and reversable...

I will do step 1 first (black out everything around the windows) and leave the trim as it is...  Smaller trim is nog an option for me I guess because I drilled the holes to 8 mm to fit the earlier trim...  I will search some old trim to test some things: paint it black, gold, etc and see what it gives...  As I mentioned above, I will start a new in da works topic with pictures etc...

thx for the input.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 20:23:55 pm »

Okay, this car tells me that it just looks right!  sidetrim on, windows black.  this does it.  I'm gonna go for it...   Wink  thx Rick.

And thanks for the kind words!

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 21:25:28 pm »

You have underdog without rubber trim

wolfswest

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 11:29:52 am »

haha, nice.  It was right under my nose this car (underdog) and I didn't noticed it.  Very nice!  Grin  It proves that it can be done.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: