The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:21:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  which ignition system would you choose for your hot vw?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: which ignition system would you choose for your hot vw?  (Read 15906 times)
wolfswest

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 17:53:45 pm »

I've been watching on the internet for a msd setup.  The site is dummy proof so I get an good explination about their products.

which box is the most suitable for a beetle?  You have the 6a and the 6al and 7 series and...  I think if I buy a msd setup I go for the 6al....  Right choice?  Huh

And then for the coils...  you have a blaster coil, a 2, a 3, ... coil...  Which one is the right choice?  Huh

And the most important question, will I feel the difference...  You get much b*llsh*t about 1000000000000 volts and blablabla but will it improve my ET's ?  Tongue  Grin

Dem
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 19:36:46 pm by wolfswest » Logged

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 18:17:08 pm »

I run the 6a with a Bosch red coil. I set my plug gap at .060 and it loves it. I don't know that it will add power, however it will allow a freer reving engine and you will need to richen things up. I went to an MSD box in the early nineties because of the oxygenated fuels. I would have to run it so rich, that if it idled too long, I'd foul my plugs. The MSD took care of all that.

I also park at Nick's.
wolfswest

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 19:40:49 pm »

I run the 6a with a Bosch red coil. I set my plug gap at .060 and it loves it. I don't know that it will add power, however it will allow a freer reving engine and you will need to richen things up. I went to an MSD box in the early nineties because of the oxygenated fuels. I would have to run it so rich, that if it idled too long, I'd foul my plugs. The MSD took care of all that.

Well, I'm not hoping for a giant hp increase but I hope the engine runs "smoother"  When I drive it for a distance at low rpm's and I want to rev it, the plugs aren't working "right", the engine holds back a few seconds and then I'm gone...  Also the same as John, when the car idled for a while it is a real bitch to rev it correctly...  I hope I solve that with a msd system...  Huh

Dem

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 22:41:36 pm »

Depending on your set up, you will typically see 4-6 hp increase. But the bottom end torque will improove noticeably. Your idle will get better, and your emission will drop.
A blaster 2 is fine.
T
pupjoint

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:13 am »

saw in the mag they have the new 6AL-2, digital version of the old 6AL, looks like they responded to Mallory's digital boxes, took them quite a while to do it though
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 08:54:42 am »

Hi Dem,

I would recommend a Mallory HyFire VI box as it offers more for less money than a MSD 6 AL! You already have a two-step, a start retard etc. and you donīt need RPM chips! Iīm useing the mallory box with a Treuhaft 010 dissy with a Unilite module and it works just fine.
Bye,

Tobi
wolfswest

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 10:03:30 am »

Hi Dem,

I would recommend a Mallory HyFire VI box as it offers more for less money than a MSD 6 AL! You already have a two-step, a start retard etc. and you donīt need RPM chips! Iīm useing the mallory box with a Treuhaft 010 dissy with a Unilite module and it works just fine.
Bye,

Tobi

Thx for the information Tobi.  I will look on the internet for more information about the mallory box and the treuhaft dissy etc...  I probably will buy it this winter so I can still watch out for different options...  Did you buy it in Germany or in the us?

Dem

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 11:30:53 am »

Msd,Mallory or Petronix for me.

In the 80's i used the Jacobs system Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 12:06:29 pm »

I bought all the ignition parts (besides the dissy) at Summit Racing.
The Treuhaft/Scat/Mallory dissy is not really hard to get. Just have a look at the samba.com ads.

Hi Dem,

Bye,

Tobi

Thx for the information Tobi.  I will look on the internet for more information about the mallory box and the treuhaft dissy etc...  I probably will buy it this winter so I can still watch out for different options...  Did you buy it in Germany or in the us?

Dem
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

(EXCEPT THE DIGITAL 6 - THOSE DON'T WORK!!!)

What issue's have you had with the Digital 6 Steve??  Mine has behaved fine so far!

I'm wondering the same thing, as I have a set on the way from vwparts...

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Steve D.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 02:57:54 am »

I've never ran a digital 6 box, but I've known several people that have, and they have all had problems with them.  One shut the car off and wouldn't restart after the first 5 miles on the car.  Another randomly started dropping cylinders.  Others made the motor feel like it was loading up with fuel at high 6+ rpm.  Every one of these cases ended with the owners going back to their old 6A or 6AL boxes.   I'll say it right now, MSD makes some great products, but their digital series are just to finicky for me to trust.  The Buick turbocharged V6 crowd is going through the same problem with MSD's DIS4 ignition- popping, loading up, cutting out- once the car is back to stock GM ignition the car is back to making power.  I will say, however, that this Sunday I walked around Fontana and I think I saw a DIS-4 ignition on the floor of the Red Baron, so maybe it's working for them.

If you have a Digital 6, then run it- I just wouldn't reccommend it to anybody in the market for an ignition right now.

Remember guys, this is just my two cents, and last I checked it wasn't worth any more than anybody else's...   except the europeans- with this exchange, I think theirs is worth four and a half cents or something like that.

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 03:08:52 am »

Bosch 010 w/ Pertronix fired off by a MSD box hidden under the rear seat Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Austin Larsen

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 05:36:15 am »

i like the new MSD digital programmable ignition systems
for a distributor i believe u can machine down a MSD BBC or SBC distributor to make it into a VW distributor which spaces out the terminals more for running more advance,
if u could get a ProMag44 for a 4 cylinder id prob run that
other than that im going to run a CPC setup off my Fast EFI

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 06:09:43 am »

Now THAT'S cool! Best of all worlds.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ESH

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:18 am »

... Remember guys, this is just my two cents, and last I checked it wasn't worth any more than anybody else's...   except the europeans- with this exchange, I think theirs is worth four and a half cents or something like that ...

Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 16:35:32 pm »

Now THAT'S cool! Best of all worlds.

I think so , too. That will be the setup in my '67 "street" car. I want the classic look, but also a 2 step, rev limiter, and so on.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2008, 16:40:24 pm »

Change it to Mallory and that is my plan.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 17:22:34 pm »

I run the MSD Distributor with Crane Fireball Hi 6 Box and Coil. No RPM plug-ins !! (check out Jegs for fair pricing)). If needed you can weld-up a truck on the emergency lane Grin

Done ? Not Yet.
JS

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 20:12:50 pm »

I run a Bosch 050 with a 6V coil with points. Never had any problems, works great.

Signature.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:55 pm »

I run an MSD 6AL with a 009/pertronix ignitor and a Blaster 2 coil at the moment, I've got a Pertronix 2 distributo to go on but am unsure of what springs i need to fit yet...

oh and i've got to finish the car yet!

will let you know in a couple of years how I get on Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:17 am »

(EXCEPT THE DIGITAL 6 - THOSE DON'T WORK!!!)

What issue's have you had with the Digital 6 Steve??  Mine has behaved fine so far!

I'm wondering the same thing, as I have a set on the way from vwparts...

Got the new MSD digital 6 installed and tested out on SCC in my friends car... Had no problems whatsoever with the ignition and I'm very satisfied(so far) :-)
(with MSD distributor and Blaster 2 coil)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Neil Davies

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 11:53:06 am »

I had a MSD dizzy, 6AL and Blaster 2 coil, with a 2 step in my old racecar. With no charging it sapped battery power - had to stick it on a charger between runs to keep it tip top.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Tony M

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 21:10:39 pm »

I love my 010 dist w/msd 6al box - easy to keep up - check the point gap every 5k - has never changed.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: