The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 21:33:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Dude’s 58 Ragtop Beetle  (Read 210808 times)
flatfire

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 22:54:14 pm »

Great effort Dude quality work  Smiley
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 21:59:52 pm »

Great effort Dude quality work  Smiley

Thanks dude!  Smiley

Was good to see you and the Mrs at EBI! Smiley

Dude  Cool

sonic

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 12:28:44 pm »

Nice work !!,  and very useful to others .
Keep it up ..
Regards
Erich
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 10:06:08 am »

Not much more progress to write home about!

However, a bit of a warning. Always make sure you got the correct safety gear on!

I was grinding and cutting on Friday night, and some dust/ grit bounced off my check and up under the safety glasses I was wearing. I thought nothing more of it until a day later when my eye started to really hurt. Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up having to go to casualty, and had 5 shards of steel picked out my eye with a needle!

Thus, I’ll be wearing goggles, rather than safety glasses from now on! Roll Eyes

Dude  Cool

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:10:24 am by Deanodynosaurs » Logged

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 10:08:08 am »

Nice work !!,  and very useful to others .
Keep it up ..
Regards
Erich

Cheers Erich!

Comments like this keep me motivated! Smiley

Dude Cool

smurf67

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 15:45:47 pm »

amazing work been following this on vzi also. look forward to seeing it finished. Alex
kraftwerk

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 20:38:16 pm »

Nice to see repairs done that keep as much German steel as possible, even if it takes twice as long!! Worth all the effort me thinks dude!! Keep it up!!
 Grin
cheers
Lee

Kraftwerk

Custom, Speed & Resto

07889 178 638

Staffordshire, UK
dubnut62

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 10:59:40 am »

Dude,

ouch.  Hope you are feeling better mate 

You'll be glad to hear that the '62 has rot around the screen in exactly the same spot as you repaired.  Barker did a good job on the repair piece for you.

George  Smiley
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:52 am »

Dude,

You'll be glad to hear that the '62 has rot around the screen in exactly the same spot as you repaired.  Barker did a good job on the repair piece for you.

George  Smiley

Cheers mate, eyes slowly getting better!

Gutted about the notch window repair!  Sad

Hopefully it will only be the outer skin. On mine we had to do the inner an outer! The outer was actually a hookys panel, and the inner Phil swaged into a bit of steel, and then bent it round using a shrinker stretcher (great tool!). The sketchy weldings all me! Smiley It took ages!

Hope all's well,

Dude  Cool

dubnut62

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 18:30:42 pm »

Dude,

George  Smiley

Cheers mate, eyes slowly getting better!

Gutted about the notch window repair!  Sad

Hopefully it will only be the outer skin. On mine we had to do the inner an outer! The outer was actually a hookys panel, and the inner Phil swaged into a bit of steel, and then bent it round using a shrinker stretcher (great tool!). The sketchy weldings all me! Smiley It took ages!

Hope all's well,

Dude  Cool

The notch is fine and dandy mate, its the '62 bug that has the rot  Sad
I like Steve's method of media blasting the shell, shows up all that lovely free rot that you get from living on a cold damp island  Wink
Posting on here is far easier and quicker than texting you, you reply within a day or so and not 3 weeks  Wink Grin
Hope your eye is nearly better and you are back in the garage.

George Smiley
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 00:27:49 am »

Finally got a bit more done!  Smiley

After cleaning up the A post and front quarter with a cup brush I found a small hole on the inside and a larger one on the outside of the A post, as well as one hole at the front of the quarter. 

It was a close decisions as to whether to replace the whole A post, but in the end I decided to keep as much genuine steel as I could, and to just let some new steel in where the holes were.

Although it’s not a lot, it's taken me the best part of a week after work, but I was happy with the result in the end! Smiley

Dude  Cool

Front quarter repair

Inner A post repair.

Outer A Post repair.

Here’s what I found when the A post was opened up!!  Shocked

However, it was soon cleaned up.  Smiley

And painted inside to stop the rot!

Anyway not loads, but a bit more progress! Smiley

Dude  Cool

Sam K

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 01:33:03 am »

Looks like some quality work! After looking at all of your pictures, I don't feel so scared of replacing the heater channel in my '63 this winter.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 01:30:19 am »

Haven’t had a chance to do much on the 58 recently.  However I did manage to find a spare weekend, and repair the passenger side heater channel. This side was actually a lot better than the drivers side as I didn't have to replace the bottom of the rear quarter!  Smiley

Anyway here’s what I had to start with.

Although these small rust holes probably could have been patched I thought it would be better to just do the whole side so that the rust wouldn’t be back in a few years time.

A repro panel was again used, and again it was modified to be exactly the same as per original (See the notches! Buffer heaven!  Grin)

All that was left then was to weld her in!

I was pleased with how this went as I managed to keep the original bottom of the quarter with the half moon pressing!  Geeky I know, but I like it! Smiley

And finally a lick of paint! (Yes, I know its not dry! I was excited!)

Anyway I was pleased with how this went so I thought I’d share it with you all. Sorry if it a bit boring!  Grin

Dude  Cool

67worshipper

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 18:26:34 pm »

its not boring mate its resurrection Wink

vw hot rod heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 02:09:21 am »

Nice work guys, looks like that mountains about climbed. again nice work. and keep the pictures and progress coming.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
67pickup

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 21:44:36 pm »

Great work and skills! This is so inspiring!
I've got a 59 ragtop outside my garage at moment, it's freezing cold now, but some day I hope I can put up a project thread here too. BTW - the welding is done on this, also prepped for use on the strip by Jee Racing. Need to get my hands on a complete 58-59 car with an ID, cause it's just a bare shell.
Keep the pics and comments coming!
brgds
Andy
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 11:28:09 am »

Thanks all for the positive comments! It comments like these that keep me motivated to keep work on it! At times is can be difficult to keep motivation as the restoration is taking so long. But I think in the end it will be much better than just patching up and using loads of filler.  Smiley

67pickup - Get your ragtop project going dude and get a thread up on here! Sounds like you got much less work to do than I have, even despite the lack of chassis! Smiley

Dude Cool

58vw

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 05:37:03 am »

that is simply awesome work.....keep it up and cant wait to see the finished product.

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 02:12:05 am »

Happy New Year Everyone!   Smiley

Haven’t got much done recently on the bug what with Christmas, New Years, Oh and getting engaged! (Cheers Nat, your a brave girl!) Grin

However last week I managed to get a few days working on the bug despite the artic like conditions here in the UK (I had to actually scrape ice of a panel I was working on!) and managed to do a repair I've been dreading! The rear inner arch/ rear boot section. I was luck enough to actually find a panel that had been cut out of a car, so the work was much quicker compared to the other side.  Smiley

Anyway, Here’s what I started off with.  Sad

Next up I began to cut away the rotten steel work, and prepare the panels to be welded too/ sealed up.

Here's how the donor panel sat. Not a bad fit. It good to have actuall genuine panels! Smiley

Time to weld it in and smooth the welds back. Smiley

Next up was the small repair on the boot floor. I don’t know anywhere that actually reproduces this panel so it had to be hand formed. However, I had to do the same repair on the other side and while I made that panel up I also did one for this side! Smiley

Finally I just had to repair the rear quarter where it meets the wing stud line. I used part of a repair panel, however it had to be reshaped a lot to actually get it to fit as well as it does.

Anyway that where I am to date! Sorry if I’ve bored everyone again!  Tongue

Dude  Cool

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 11:41:08 am »

Pics like that are never boring. I'm about to do the same repair on my car...
vwcab

peter

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:33 am »

It's nice to follow a "rust"oration with pictures.
Great work,and keep the pic's  posting  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 13:10:39 pm »

The only thing boring is waiting for the thread to load due to photobucket images :-)
But good work on the restoration :-D

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2009, 14:48:12 pm »

The only thing boring is waiting for the thread to load due to photobucket images :-)
But good work on the restoration :-D

LOL! It's a good job i didnt post the full series of 40 photos i took on the repair then!  Grin

Cheers all for the posative comments!  Smiley

I'll do some more and post some pics once the ice age leaves the UK!  Grin

Dude  Cool

stretch

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 09:52:13 am »

Looks ace Dude.

Its hard to appreciate all the work that goes into something like this when you see it in the flesh finished.  The before and after photo's really show how much work is involved in repairing something correctly.

Keep up the good work fella.

See you at club tonight.   Smiley
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 11:57:02 am »

Looks ace Dude.

Its hard to appreciate all the work that goes into something like this when you see it in the flesh finished.  The before and after photo's really show how much work is involved in repairing something correctly.

Keep up the good work fella.

See you at club tonight.   Smiley

Cheers mate, really appreciated! Smiley

LOL! Your probably one of the few people who DOES appreciate all the work that goes into this. I spend ages boring you on the phone telling you about the new panel I formed/ welded/ shaped etc!!  Grin

See ya later at club dude! (in the ghia?!  Wink Grin)

Dude  Cool

Jonny Grigg

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 23:22:56 pm »

mate,

that is seriously impressive work.  Smiley

see you soon,

J.

No Compromise. O/FF111
JamieL

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 14:41:17 pm »

must-stop-making-babies-and-fixing-house-up-must-stop-making-babies-and-fixing-house-up-must-stop-making-babies-and-fixing-house-up-must-stop-making-babies-and-fixing-house-up
Stoo the worm Simpson

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 13:05:39 pm »

Hi Dude....the 58 is looking awesome...but for some reason the picture of wot u want it to look like when finished, looks rather familiar to me....! Wink
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 13:33:03 pm »

Dude, You are my inspiration!  Grin

No actually your car is genuinely a very big inspiration to me! Smiley

Dude  Cool

What colour is yours painted by the way? Is it the same as Steve and Dellys?

Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 14:11:29 pm »

P.S. More updates on the welding marathon soon. I been saving up a big chunk to put up all at once! Smiley

Dude  Cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: