The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:01:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The John Rayburn thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The John Rayburn thread!  (Read 23017 times)
lawrence

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2008, 04:35:30 am »

Thanks for sharing, John. Your car has some cool history. What is the story on the white Golf in front of the caddy;D

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2008, 04:38:49 am »

That's my wife's '86. She's the original owner. Has about 200,000 original miles, and doesn't use a drop of oil!

I also park at Nick's.
ugly duckling

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:48 am »

i just wanted to say that Jhon is probebly one of the kindest VW enthiest i have ever met. and know im not saying this to get favors from him in ART form. i truly mean that. hes the only one that i can talk to about alot of things not just vws.
 the simpsons/ hogans heros/ aircraft/and many other cool subjects. thanks jhon for being there your deffenetly a true freind at the top of my list. and let me tell ya the list is not that long.hey mr wheeler go tear the streets up  Wink. UD. 

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2008, 17:48:20 pm »

Hey Jeff! Thank you, that's really nice of you. Jeff, of course , does my cylinder heads and they always exceed expectations. He's a great guy and does incredible work. Everyone knows him. There was this guy I used to see around his shop that would look straight at you, but neither eye would be looking at you. One day, Jeff heard some far off voice calling his name. He went outside, and there was nobody around. But, the voice was still calling his name. The voice of God? No, it was the eyeball guy in a Cesna circiling his shop at about 900 feet. He had the window down and was screaming Jeff's name , just to say hello.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2008, 18:03:29 pm »

Ratto, your BMW story is GREAT! One of the many joys of owning a Cal Look VW... surprising people that are fully clueless.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2008, 18:26:13 pm »

john since when are you involved in the vw Huh , you will answer when you came home from the hospital as an infant   Grin Grin and your dad gave you the bug in 79  Roll Eyes , but before nothing with vw Huh
Of more john is always someone of smiling and always to the listening I am satisfied to have got acquainted in the cruise night before the bug in  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2008, 18:37:02 pm »

Fabian, I guess I was involved in VW's from about '73 or '74. That was mainly due to my older brother, as I didn,t have a drivers license yet. My brother was teaching me how to take carbs apart and put them back together, use a unisyn gauge, stuff like that. My brother learned to drive in my car while my Dad still drove it daily, and we'd work on that together. My car was originally slated to be my brother's, and he was going to pattern it after Dave Roique's '64. He then purchased a real clean '69 that he kept briefly, before he found his EMPI demonstrator at Timmons Volkswagen in Long Beach. The odometer had 43 miles on it. That's when we knew for sure that the '64 would be turned over to me.

I also park at Nick's.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2008, 19:00:25 pm »

cool  Cool any pictures of the empi  car of your brothers Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2008, 19:03:39 pm »

My brother just found a box of slides of his car recently and put them in his loft in his garage. I've been tearing the place apart trying to find them so I can scan them. I'm going to head over there again today to see if I can put my hands on them!

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2008, 19:14:26 pm »

....  "thanks jhon for being there your deffenetly a true freind at the top of my list." 

A friend that would gladly SELL you the shirt off his back Roll Eyes Wink Grin  One of the hardest working promoters of DKP! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2008, 22:27:13 pm »

Hey, that's a rare photo right there – Dave Kanase! Where are you Dave?  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2008, 05:00:44 am »

yeah, and while John does work his rear off to keep DKP clothed and stylin', he's one of the funniest guys I've ever met, VW's or not. I remember a few years back how welcome Rayburn made me feel in the club with his sly ribbings. He's nothing, if not a die hard VW guy, but more so.... a real friend. Just before my son was born, he kept demanding "let me know as soon as he's here!" And a few days after our little guy arrived, Bon Rayjurn sends me a card signed not only by him, but his family of birds too. How cool is that?
John you're about as cool as they come.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 05:36:52 am »

Thanks , Jim! That's real nice of you. Thanks to Sarge , too. Jim, glad you made it from Simi tonight in one piece. Good meeting your old buddy , too. Wish i could've stayed longer!

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: