The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 16:36:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Engine Advice/Help/Clarification Please......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engine Advice/Help/Clarification Please......  (Read 3733 times)
Adele AW

« on: September 13, 2008, 21:50:08 pm »

I used to do a fair bit of work on my old 2276 before i sold it, However today i decided to bite the bullet and get my hands dirty with the new 2332 as i have been too scared to touch the new motor for fear of breaking it and the cost of it but what the hell  Roll Eyes

I backed off the valves as the motor wont be run for prob at least another 6 months, and it has been sat since May. The valves are titanium, LS-1 Valve springs, chromoly rocker arms.

Just to double check on the right side i just loosened off equally the rockershaft bolts, and the rockers backed off the valves, i didnt see a need to remove the rocker as it was free, or should i do this for any other reason ? i was also able to bolt up the cover with no clearance issue. Is it ok to crank the engine over with the left side like this ?

On the left side i had to take the rocker off completely as the valves needed backing off further and it was too much to be able to get the shaft back on. I also marked on the rockers and the shaft where they line up, but it does'nt look rocket science and as long as the holes on the bolt up bit and the shaft line up along with the rockers then its fine ? I know when its put back together that the valve lash needs to be Intake .001 and Exhaust .002

Any other maintenance i should be doing while the engine is not being used ?

Sorry for any stupid questions, its been a while  Roll Eyes

One last thing..... different motor but im getting my cousins bug on the road, and it wont fire up. I have changed the points and condensor, its got fuel and a new coil too. However the center of the dizzy does not spin when the motor is turning over. I took the dizzy out the the end of it ( inbetween my fingers in the pic) has some serious play and 'wobbles' (technical term!) about. Im pretty sure it should'nt do this but can someone confirm ? i don't think its sitting in the drive gear correctly ? Can this be corrected, or new dizzy ?

Thanks in advance!

PS, Thanks Martin/Glenn The Bournemouth Technical Helpline Massive .......   Kiss
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 22:08:14 pm by Adele AW » Logged

O/FF 621
ian c

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 22:29:14 pm »

hey adele .
how you doing .

you can get special oil if the engine is going to be laid-up for a while .
i'll dig out info for you .

the dizzy should have a small bit of play , but not too much .
you can rebuild with shims (or get msd ) Cheesy

email glenn for advice/parts
glenn@glenn-ring.com

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Adele AW

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 18:26:50 pm »

I'll have a look at the shims thanks. As for the Oil were ok with that, Thanks!

Smiley

O/FF 621
leec

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 16:01:24 pm »

Could you leave the engine fully built and just spin it over regularly on an engine test stand?

Lee
lawrence

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 19:11:59 pm »

The shaft in the distributor should always spin when the engine is turning over. It is probably installed incorrectly. Spin the engine over until it is in the #1 cylinder, Top Dead Center position. If the distributor drive gear is installed correctly you should then be able to line up the distributor rotor with the #1 notch in the distributor body. You should now be able to start the car assuming everything else is in proper order.

The collar at the bottom of the shaft will wobble, but the shaft itself should not have excessive play. Check the shaft play at the other end. It may be necessary to install another distributor.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 22:08:12 pm »

...on the right side i just loosened off equally the rockershaft bolts, and the rockers backed off the valves, i didnt see a need to remove the rocker as it was free...

On the left side i had to take the rocker off completely as the valves needed backing off further and it was too much to be able to get the shaft back on...
There is something very wrong here. Who did the heads? Both sides should be the same in this respect. By the sounds of things, you can't possibly end up with the same valve train geometry on each side as it looks like the valves are set deeper in one head than the other... If that is the case, are the valve springs shimmed to give the same installed height on each side? Is the relationship between the tip of the valves and the tops of the rocker pedestals the same for each head?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 22:19:42 pm »

Ref your cousins motor I suppose you have made sure that its sitting hard down in the case ? some times them little buggers dont want to go all the way down   and if its not the drive gear wont be fully engaged hence no spinning dizzy , other than that wire up the MSD 
Glad to be of help at the weekend Glenn

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
SteveW

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 22:35:58 pm »

...on the right side i just loosened off equally the rockershaft bolts, and the rockers backed off the valves, i didnt see a need to remove the rocker as it was free...

On the left side i had to take the rocker off completely as the valves needed backing off further and it was too much to be able to get the shaft back on...
There is something very wrong here. Who did the heads? Both sides should be the same in this respect. By the sounds of things, you can't possibly end up with the same valve train geometry on each side as it looks like the valves are set deeper in one head than the other... If that is the case, are the valve springs shimmed to give the same installed height on each side? Is the relationship between the tip of the valves and the tops of the rocker pedestals the same for each head?

Sorry Keith im not 100% with you.... Pat Downs built the motor it came straight off the dyno to us.

Can you explain more in layman terms  Roll Eyes ?

Adele

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 23:10:30 pm »

the motor you are playing with rockers on, has it been run and had cam broken in?
SteveW

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:38:16 am »

the motor you are playing with rockers on, has it been run and had cam broken in?

Yes it has.  Smiley

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: