The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:46:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what do .............
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: what do .............  (Read 24131 times)

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 04:12:16 am »

What really amazes me is that I have seen pictures recently of a lot of the Hoodriddance cars with large displacement 48IDA motors and built transaxles along with the severly decambered rear axles.
Can you imagine launching a car on the dragstrip with the rear end sitting on the inner sidewalls !?!
Not to mention paying todays very high shop labor costs to "Rat Look" your good condition car ?
  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 04:41:20 am »

WOW! They really ARE confused. That doesn't make any sense, whatsoever. A big engine in one of THOSE?

Huh

To each their own, I suppose.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sam K

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 05:23:26 am »

Until I read this thread, I thought I was the only guy who hated the whole hoodride/ratrod trend. In the last couple years quite a few of those chopped, fenderless bugs have shown up around Denver as well. I hate them too. I suppose that any interest in the VW scene isn't bad, but I hope this trend dies, sort of like billet gauge panels and wink mirrors.
lawrence

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 06:01:43 am »

I am not a fan of the hoodride, but in the beginning of the "movement"(bowel Huh Grin) there were probably some cars that were built with skill and planning. Then trendys jumped on the bandwagon and made this outlet of our hobby a mockery by finding any rusty beetle and putting it back on the road with minimal thought for safety or driveability. In some way it is good that these beat down beetles are being saved, but at some point it just gets ridiculous. This is very similar to the current trend of american hotrods that are made to look like they were built 60 years ago. Some are nice but I am also sick of seeing every rat rod get exposure in a mag just because it one ups some POS that was built the week before.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
axam48ida

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 06:48:39 am »

As for a trend..."SoCal Products" offers a kit. so it must have a following outside the vw group
for a old hot shop accessory and hard parts company to invest in producing a kit.

I agree I get tried of seeing them, but on the other side of the coin, It's generating interest in
vw's which us old guys returning or been here all along can't keep it going alone.

I to thought I was one of a very very few that never cared for that hoodride, chopped decambered scrapping bug...I before the
look I  have had since my early days of owning an oval.

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 09:02:20 am »

you think about the HOODRIDE mvnt

So what? The trouble with air-cooled Volkswagens is that they draw so many different kind of people under the same "brand". Like during Beetle's lifespan (depending how you calculate it) from the KDF to the last ones from Mexico, Ford in US has produced cars for Hot Rod / Street Rod / 50's Kustom / Mustang / Muscle Car / Van / Mini Truck / Tuning crowd, as I live in Europe I don't know but are there events/magazines/scene covering all of those like you see in big Volkswagen event or in one of magazines?

There is plenty of shit in the scene that I don't like, like Fuchs waisted on 70's watercooled cars, Volksrods  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:07:36 am by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 05:20:43 am »

I to thought I was one of a very very few that never cared for that hoodride, chopped decambered scrapping bug...I before the
[/quote]

Nice, tasteful Oval you have there... I dig the wide steel wheels!

~DR.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 06:21:49 am »

Sadly, the HoodRide movement seems to be firmly implanted here in the pacific northwest.  I don't know how many emo-wannabe kids I saw at Woodburn's Bug Run with broken-axle shitboxes this year... one of which was in the car show with zero seat covers and bare frames covered by wool blankets.  It ranked right up there with the shitty volksrod that featured the confederate flag on its roof.   Roll Eyes

There's one fella in particular that I won't name... saw his car in the swap, slammed running spindle mounts in the front and horrifically cambered up rear Randars.  Rusted bucket of garbage.  He owns a shop in Salem, and I would never give him money to work on my cars, regardless of how many fans of his Hoodride skillz he may have.

Ohhhhhh so true!  I relate the Hoodride crap with the term 'scrub'.  That's exaclty what I think of too.  This guy bugnut68 speaks of has his car so low, the front and rear torsion housings are worn through.  Now, I like to be practical in most applications of my life as I'm sure it is what helps with maturity.  I just don't understand.  Zero pride in your ride so much that you'll destroy it to look cool. Funny since I was at Woodburn also.  My car isn't a true Cal-look car, but it's very obvious I don't 'fit' in up there.  If it isn't a 1/2" off the ground.....it doesn't get looked at.  It must be the So. Cal. kid in me.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:23:32 am by Hotrodvw » Logged

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
ian c

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:54 pm »

As for a trend..."SoCal Products" offers a kit. so it must have a following outside the vw group
for a old hot shop accessory and hard parts company to invest in producing a kit.

I agree I get tried of seeing them, but on the other side of the coin, It's generating interest in
vw's which us old guys returning or been here all along can't keep it going alone.

whats that nosecone in the background ?
looks interesting .

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 22:56:35 pm »

pisses me off that it is cooler to have NO PAINT that it seems to be to try to keep my 20yr old paint alive.

I've always said, I like cars that you can see that the owner "cares about".... not necessarily is temporarily fitting into some "group" with because "this is the latest cool thing." Really, I don't care about the year of the car, or if it has real this or repop that or if it's 5 lug, 4 lug... as long as the car is using ALL OF ITS LUGS..., you know....you can see when somebody uses the car and cares for it. Those are the "anti-hoodrides", and the cars that do something for me.
sheep

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 23:14:18 pm »

Is Rattos car considered a hoodride Shocked

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 23:39:23 pm »

Is Rattos car considered a hoodride Shocked

have you seen the left half of your case around? I can't seem to find it. Man the box of parts for your shitbox keeps getting emptier.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 23:52:10 pm »

have you seen the left half of your case around? I can't seem to find it. Man the box of parts for your shitbox keeps getting emptier.

Fret not, Jim. For I have located the piece of which you are looking for. It's in this car.

~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 00:33:17 am »

I see it more as a reflection of our current society... the "I don't give a shit what you think" crowd.  It's an easy way out, a way to get noticed (not necessarily in a good way).  My $.02

You've got it!!
One of my really good friends is into the Hoodride thing. We met in high school, I am the one to blame for him being into VW's! Here is his current ride, a '72 Bug...

Notice the beer bottle opener screwed on the front quarter. Once you get the cap off, you pinch it on to the rain gutter (I don't know how he manages to not get pulled over). The beam is narrowed a ton, it has no shocks, painted wheels in front, chrome wheels in back, and pinstriping on the hood and fenders (it does have quarter windows now). Funny story... There was a VW show last February in Phoenix, he only had to drive across town to get there. On the way there, he blew out a rear tire (from being too low and rubbing on the fender), and lost a CV joint. I of course pointed out that Slinger and I put over 300 miles on our VWs that weekend without an issue at all Roll Eyes

I really hate it when I see a otherwise nice and/or rare car put to this torture. Why grind and beat the tar out of a perfectly good car?? I don't get it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 00:51:09 am »

I too have a friend that is into the patina Hoodride thing.
His car is lowered and has the "sunbleached" paint look.
What amazes me, is he has ads all over looking for the rarest of the rare accessories for it and they must all be NOS IN THE BOX !
The total opposite of how the rest of the car looks.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Jim Ratto

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 00:52:00 am »

I too have a friend that is into the patina Hoodride thing.
His car is lowered and has the "sunbleached" paint look.
What amazes me, is he has ads all over looking for the rarest of the rare accessories for it and they must all be NOS IN THE BOX !
The total opposite of how the rest of the car looks.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

that is funny Richard!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 00:53:07 am »

The good news about the split on the first page... it has been saved!!! And other than the roof rack, it looks pretty good Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 00:57:21 am »

Fret not, Jim. For I have located the piece of which you are looking for. It's in this car.

hahahaa MArk only those guys could get a car to run with half a case.... Cheesy
Sarge

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 03:08:08 am »

OUTTAMAWAYSUCKAZ Angry Angry Angry

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:32 am »

Did you try calling the number?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 03:19:14 am »

hahahaa MArk only those guys could get a car to run with half a case.... Cheesy

Ha... I was hopin' someone would get my stupid attempt at humor.

John, I try calling that number a lot... turns out, it's constantly busy. It's crazy.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 03:42:45 am »

John, I try calling that number a lot... turns out, it's constantly busy. It's crazy. [/b]

You guys really need to try the 1-800-EAT-SHIT line..., I've heard you get through every time Roll Eyes Grin

I really hate it when I see a otherwise nice and/or rare car put to this torture. Why grind and beat the tar out of a perfectly good car?? I don't get it.

Good point and report, Zach! Cool

DKP III
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 04:02:52 am »

OUTTAMAWAYSUCKAZ Angry Angry Angry

That license plate frame would make his Momma so proud...

And then again, it really might Shocked

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:26 am »

This just in:

Finally... a cure for "those" kinds of deathtraps...

These trick mirrors are a Godsend and will hopefully be installed at various locations, soon, to rid our streets of the unsafe cars and an effort to clean up some of the remaining VW cars.

Back to you, Jim.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 15:09:33 pm »

This just in:

Finally... a cure for "those" kinds of deathtraps...

These trick mirrors are a Godsend and will hopefully be installed at various locations, soon, to rid our streets of the unsafe cars and an effort to clean up some of the remaining VW cars.

Back to you, Jim.

Now THAT is FUNNY!! Grin Grin Grin

~DR.
bugnut68

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 17:29:52 pm »

Ugh.  The rims are worth more than anything else on that thing.
Matty c

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 20:34:07 pm »

poopride? crap look? who cares Huh time to bury this one i think!

67heaven
Rennsurfer

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 22:39:01 pm »

HAHA!! Yeah, that's what I was thinkin', too... and that's not sayin' much. I can't stand those things.

~Sarge
bugnut68

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:27 am »

HAHA!! Yeah, that's what I was thinkin', too... and that's not sayin' much. I can't stand those things.

There's a twit here in Oregon running a pair of those on the back of his seriously rotted Bug and spindle mounts in the front... the same guy that owns a shop as I mentioned earlier in this thread.  Wouldn't think that car would be good advertising for business.  I don't know how many guys on the Samba told him he was stupid for running spindle mounts on a daily driven car, but he wouldn't listen.  Retarded stupid, IMO.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 05:55:06 am »

Holy guacamole, Batman! Spindle mount wheels on a street driven car? We must somehow stop these types of individuals from reproducing. Sheesh! Dude sounds two tacos shy of a combo plate.

Roll Eyes

~Sarge
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: